Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Cold Steel is probably more complicated than Sky because we have like, more factions and they each have their own reasons, plans, and what not.

At the end of Cold Steel, I am still a bit less than satisfied since we learn like, what, nothing about any of the villains, or what anyone is after.
(Correct me if I'm wrong)
While it is hinted, it's not really on the same level of explanation.

All of this probably just serves to make Cold Steel 2 an even better game, presumably, if they would explain all/most of what happens.

Comparatively speaking, Sky SC answers, I think a lot of stuff, though I myself have my own "burning questions" there not much I can do about them. Whether or not they would be answered by Sky Third, I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh, I like this part after chapter 6. "And then a whole bunch of exciting things happened, but we didn't have the budget for it, so have this voiceover and some pictures instead. We even went to Rean's home but whoops, we didn't model that or his family yet, you'll get it in CS2"

If we do get to see that trip in this game I'll eat crow, and also be very surprised.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's actually not a budget thing, it's a please buy the tie in light novel thing (which came with preorders iirc). You go to ymir in CSII tho

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Just how many side material stuff is there (which like, I think apart from Falcom Academy, is all canon or something)

I feel like I'm missing a fair part of the story, but not overly much.

Like, watching Cold Steel, I don't feel overly lost (or was that the intent?), the content I've seen in Sky Third doesn't appear to be overly important to CS (then again it's not like I've gone through the whole of Third anyway...)

Maybe it's a perspective thing, but I felt that if I didn't have knowledge of FC and SC then I'd not understand all those references, albeit in strictly Erebonian terms it's not too important.

In other news, while it might not be a huge thing (I haven't read Carnelia, Gambler Jack, or Red Moon Rose, or Doll Knight for that matter, if it matters. Nor 100% the Newspapers), I was wondering if there was like, optional text that was quite important. You never know, I think.
(Including Optional Quests)

Like, I think it was mentioned that the Ruan "Sidequest" in SC Chap 8 was (something) a Main Quest or something (while it's pretty important, I guess, I dunno...)

Whooooo knowssss

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
You're meant to be able to enter into the story just fine from FC, Zero or CS1. They'd be foolish to design all of their games such that you had to have played everything prior to understand anything--it wouldn't even fit with there being a new cast if they did that. Your choice is between "spoiling" previous games and "spoiling" some of what will happen in the game you're currently playing, thanks to prior knowledge that you have but the characters in play do not.

The in-game books usually have story tie-ins, yeah. We haven't had all of them tie-in yet, but we also haven't been to Calvard. The newspapers and minor NPC dialogue can, at times, contain major plot hints/details both for the game they are in and for future/past games depending on what order you're playing things in. An NPC in SC, for instance, mentions the jaeger king/red constellation stuff that comes up in both of the other arcs.

My understanding of 3rd is that it's sort of a, uh, fan book in game form? You don't need to play it, but if you do you'll get more background info or details on stuff that will come up in various games or that already happened in various games. It will all be explained enough as to not be obnoxious/entirely unexplained when it's important, but if you want a bit more, like you would get from a fan book, you can play 3rd.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I think it's a little more than a fan book, seeing how Falcom's initial plan after SC was to create Zero and then, during its production, realized there was too much world building they wanted to get out of the way first so they ended up creating 3rd as a bridge between the Liberl and the Crossbell series. From what I've heard, you really, really want to play 3rd before starting Ao.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
At chapter 3 of SC, and I'm noticing a distinct lack of a dumb idiot loser baby turd who disappeared at the end of the first game. I wanna punch him in the face now, not later.:(

Also I'm irritated at a character who I should have realized would have been trouble as soon as they had a character portrait. Feel kinda dumb now, honestly.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Shinjobi posted:

At chapter 3 of SC, and I'm noticing a distinct lack of a dumb idiot loser baby turd who disappeared at the end of the first game. I wanna punch him in the face now, not later.:(

Also I'm irritated at a character who I should have realized would have been trouble as soon as they had a character portrait. Feel kinda dumb now, honestly.

If it's who I think you're talking about it's hard to follow any official falcom stuff without getting spoiled on them. It's kind of silly how poorly kept of a secret it is

Although it makes sense nowadays considering that the game is 10 years old

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It's kinda seeming like I'm overleveled for the final dungeon in CS. When entering it, my characters are all just about level 60, and I'm basically destroying everything in here with basic attacks.

I'm playing on normal because of past experience with Sky's hard modes, but did they finally balance them by this game and it would actually have been playable? Or maybe I should've just tried to suppress my urges to kill every monster in every area before moving on, because I definitely didn't do any intentional grinding but the game did seem to get kinda progressively easier as it went. Maybe I just killed too drat much stuff for the intended difficulty curve.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

it means "lion's heart"

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016

Amppelix posted:

It's kinda seeming like I'm overleveled for the final dungeon in CS. When entering it, my characters are all just about level 60, and I'm basically destroying everything in here with basic attacks.

I'm playing on normal because of past experience with Sky's hard modes, but did they finally balance them by this game and it would actually have been playable? Or maybe I should've just tried to suppress my urges to kill every monster in every area before moving on, because I definitely didn't do any intentional grinding but the game did seem to get kinda progressively easier as it went. Maybe I just killed too drat much stuff for the intended difficulty curve.

I myself am not sure about the particular way you might be playing

From what I was told, CS is the easiest game so far (and CS2 is only slightly harder).

What I was told is that, for CS, some of the bosses can cause trouble or so if you're unprepared.

Otherwise, like Zero and Azure, there are just "broken combos" or such that make things easier

Comparatively speaking, the crafts in CS are more powerful than the Sky crafts anyway, and I think the S Crafts as well?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

hard is very playable on a first run. i did it and had a lot of fun. most of the boss fights are rough in hard but they're rough because they do a lot of damage and you have to work around it carefully, not because you do 2 damage to them.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

hard is very playable on a first run. i did it and had a lot of fun. most of the boss fights are rough in hard but they're rough because they do a lot of damage and you have to work around it carefully, not because you do 2 damage to them.

The only boss that really posed trouble to me so far was the Lich guy in chapter 5. And trouble in this case means I died more than once. Yeah, seems like I should probably have gone for that. Oh well, I'm not into this series for the gameplay that much anyway, so I'm not too bothered for missing some cool challenges, and it is kinda engaging in its own way to find the most efficient methods to effortlessly slaughter the random encounters so those haven't gotten boring either.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
So there's a question I've been having for a while, has anyone seen any substantial videos of FC/SC EVO around?

Like, I dunno, is simply no one recording them, or is there some sort of copyright taking down everything?

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

MisawaMahoKodomo posted:

So there's a question I've been having for a while, has anyone seen any substantial videos of FC/SC EVO around?

Like, I dunno, is simply no one recording them, or is there some sort of copyright taking down everything?

From what I've been hearing over time, it sounds like it's largely been the latter. I could be mistaken, though, and am not speaking in any official capacity when I say this either. But it is what I've gathered from some fans of the games.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah, I hear Kadokawa Games can be pretty strict with those kinds of things and Chara-Ani is also pretty strict when it comes to any of the voice acting done in their products. While XSEED hasn't said anything on the matter, I'm going to guess that these are some of the reasons the Evolution games wouldn't be translated, amongst others no doubt.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Saralene posted:

From what I've been hearing over time, it sounds like it's largely been the latter. I could be mistaken, though, and am not speaking in any official capacity when I say this either. But it is what I've gathered from some fans of the games.

I never knew Falcom had the time to actually sit around at their desks looking for Youtube videos to take down.

EDIT: Oh, just looked at the above post. Who are Kadokawa games anyways? What have they worked on?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Kadokawa is a publisher. They technically own Fromsoft, among other things, now.

Amppelix posted:

I'm playing on normal because of past experience with Sky's hard modes [...]

FC/SC weren't designed/shipped with difficulty modes originally. All of the other games have been, so you can comfortably play them on hard without really getting walled by something or feeling like things are entirely unfair. You might miss out on some BP/DP/AP due to certain fights being harder to clear entirely, but it's not like FC/SC where they feel entirely tacked on, because they were. You can even play them on NG nightmare without running into "this is almost literally impossible".

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Does anybody know where to find clean versions of SD Trails art, like the Estelle Cake Attack has? Falcom uses them quite a bit, but most of what I can find are images where they're partially layered over each other like this:

or LINE stickers, which are all cropped a little bit.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some of the LINE stuff is alright though:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
How do I obtain the LINE stickers? What category are they under in the shop?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Falcom's page
https://store.line.me/stickershop/author/16119/en

Though I had to Inspect the page to find the .png links.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lot of powerful avs in there

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I probably should have done a better job on transparency before buying this avatar but :effort:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow I did not enjoy that final boss fight one bit. That was some RNG bullshit. And all signs point to the next game featuring several of these? Great.

Also, as predicted, the end of the game completely upheaved the interesting political situation that was developing by introducing a big new enemy. Oh well, seems like it'll be a fun story either way but I liked where it was going.

Great game though!

The biggest twist I didn't see coming was the sudden genre shift to a mecha show, which was very well done and sufficiently foreshadowed imo. I less liked the throwaway twists of "Hey this person's from Ouroboros! And so is this one!" That felt kinda like reveals for reveals' sake. All the rest of the surprises the game managed to spoil for itself though by foreshadowing way too much, or they were blatantly obvious tropes to begin with. Like C ending up being someone close to you. Not that I disliked that part for not being incredibly surprising; I love a good traitor.

And while Emma did not come out and just explain herself yet, she did actually not do the stupid thing I predicted she was going to do (withholding actually relevant information) so I was OK with how much of her plot resolved in this game.

E: Oh, right, I'm assuming this game does save carryover too? If yes, I'll probably do new game + on hard at some point to get a 100% save.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 15, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

completely upheaved the interesting political situation? the second game is about a civil war, dude

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Wow I did not enjoy that final boss fight one bit. That was some RNG bullshit. And all signs point to the next game featuring several of these? Great

It isn't RNG. The boss has several stances and each one shows you exactly what they're going to do so you can counter it or minimize the damage. It's a little weird in that you're not given much time to learn the system though. (And seems geared more for normal than hard where you can make more mistakes.)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well ok, maybe not completely. I guess the actual thing I'm trying to say is "more than I would have liked".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

as an extended mechanic it'll be fine, but as a one-off final boss thing it kind of sucks since it's basically just a level check. even if you learn the mechanics it can sometimes come down to luck or if you're a high enough level.

also the bonuses in cold steel 2 are:

Rank A1: Silver Medal accessory (HP+500, EP+50)
Rank A0: Golden Medal accessory (can't be obtained otherwise, HP+1000, EP+100, STR, DEF, ATS and ADF+10)

Rean's level is 69 or lower: 100 of each sepith except mass, Attack 1, Zeram Powder
Rean's level is 70-79: 300 of each sepith except mass, Attack 1, Soul Blur, Zeram Powder
Rean's level is 80 or higher: 500 of each sepith except mass, Attack 1, Soul Blur, Saintly Force, Zeram Powder x2

it also checks to see who you danced with at the festival

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
From what I've heard, the "special" fights in the next game have been tweaked to be a lot more fun than the final battle in this game. Falcom was still figuring things out for themselves at the time those final two battles in CS were made.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't RNG. The boss has several stances and each one shows you exactly what they're going to do so you can counter it or minimize the damage. It's a little weird in that you're not given much time to learn the system though. (And seems geared more for normal than hard where you can make more mistakes.)

Yeah sure, but it also has a seemingly pretty high dodge chance (maybe this goes down with your level?) that can just gently caress you over, and you have a dodge move that you'd want to use but also it has a nice 50/50 chance of actually working. Like one try, I was just about to win when whoops, he just dodged three of my attacks in a row and I didn't manage to land the free unbalance on my craft, get hosed and try again. I would not call that fight well designed. It had potential though so I can totally see a fun mechanic in there if they improved it for the sequel.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Apparently I didn't get enough of Cold Steel because I'm kinda feeling like starting NG+ right now. If I'm carrying over all my items and poo poo but no levels, would nightmare difficulty be appropriate? I'm definitely picking at least hard, but normal was easy even without having all these OP master quartz from the beginning that I'm kinda expecting to find that hard won't be that hard after all. On the other hand, Nightmare tells me it's "balanced for NG+" but I'm worried that means balanced in case you keep your level and that I'm going to get steamrolled by the final bosses if I don't grind my rear end off. They were already some of the only actually tough fights on Normal after all.

Also, I'm very amused by how the swimsuit outfits cost double the points of the other outfits to unlock.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Amppelix posted:

I'm more comparing it to Sky as a whole (well, the whole that has been released in english). And even then, in FC the mysterious men in black / intelligence division is basically the only antagonistic faction around. All your conflict is in the end against them somehow. So the same basic plot of "there are bad guys stop them" applies even if it's not quite so obvious as it is in SC.

Except that entirely misses what the "actual" villains were up to during that time that an awful lot of the stuff you're dealing with is just an "unfortunate" side effect of. Note that I still haven't played much of SC so that is just talking about the FC stuff.

Basically, the MiBs/IDs were just schlubs in the bigger game and it should be more worrying that the people scheming in the background don't give a poo poo about knocking over a country as collateral damage to the scheme to activate the Auroele and generate a reaction from the tetracyclic towers. Basically, FC ends with the big bads having achieved their objectives.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Apparently I didn't get enough of Cold Steel because I'm kinda feeling like starting NG+ right now. If I'm carrying over all my items and poo poo but no levels, would nightmare difficulty be appropriate? I'm definitely picking at least hard, but normal was easy even without having all these OP master quartz from the beginning that I'm kinda expecting to find that hard won't be that hard after all. On the other hand, Nightmare tells me it's "balanced for NG+" but I'm worried that means balanced in case you keep your level and that I'm going to get steamrolled by the final bosses if I don't grind my rear end off. They were already some of the only actually tough fights on Normal after all.

Also, I'm very amused by how the swimsuit outfits cost double the points of the other outfits to unlock.
nightmare is fine without keeping your levels. you can beat nightmare on a fresh run with some ingenuity.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
So folks, how do you all feel about the OP sequences for the game?

I myself have refrained from watching 3rd, Zero, and Ao, though I am currently watching japanese playthroughs of them.

I was told that, for example, SC Evo, Zero Evo, and Ao Evo have very spoilery openings, and after watching the SC evo one, I do actually agree.

In hindsight, the only OP I actually watched before the game was FC (and even then, screenshot form vs video form is quite different), so it may have been a bit different...but uh..

Honestly I felt FC's OP was perfectly fine, and largely good. Cold Steel was ok, but... the "robots" was very obvious, so to speak.

And I actually don't recall FC Evo nor SC.

The animation also feels a bit awkward of sorts, though FC's OP was more like still shots.

Edit: As for the OST themselves....honestly it's not like they're 100% bad, just that, overall I find them less good than the original.

MisawaMahoKodomo fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 17, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

MisawaMahoKodomo posted:

So folks, how do you all feel about the OP sequences for the game?

I myself have refrained from watching 3rd, Zero, and Ao, though I am currently watching japanese playthroughs of them.

I was told that, for example, SC Evo, Zero Evo, and Ao Evo have very spoilery openings, and after watching the SC evo one, I do actually agree.

In hindsight, the only OP I actually watched before the game was FC (and even then, screenshot form vs video form is quite different), so it may have been a bit different...but uh..

Honestly I felt FC's OP was perfectly fine, and largely good. Cold Steel was ok, but... the "robots" was very obvious, so to speak.

And I actually don't recall FC Evo nor SC.

The animation also feels a bit awkward of sorts, though FC's OP was more like still shots.

Edit: As for the OST themselves....honestly it's not like they're 100% bad, just that, overall I find them less good than the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD_0BQhdgDM

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
FC and SC's openings are both fine.

In retrospect, Cold Steel's is pretty spoilery, but I didn't really twig to much of it the first time I watched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Hints that seem really obvious in retrospect are cool.