Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

When you dance with fire too much you get Berned :bernget:

Ah. I've been trying to stay away from politics for awhile. As I said I'm trying to improve my critical thinking skills, and few things are, generally, more emotional than politics. It's hard to get a bearing on what's the truth and what's a lie, what the actual implications (both social and economic) policies have, what's a political facade and what's not, etc.

dreesemonkey posted:

Yea, eating good is hard for me. Not snacking/gluttoning after dinner helps me sleep better and cures my acid reflux.

Same. My wife has been counting calories successfully for 10 days now; I hope to join her soon. Soon being within a few months. I have enough on my plate right now.

So the thread has been quiet from a financial perspective. How do I view that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

There are financial posts in this thread still?

That would be my response. They get buried in pages and pages of other crap and then are stuck at the bottom of long posts. I really have no idea how you are doing.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Knyteguy posted:

Same. My wife has been counting calories successfully for 10 days now; I hope to join her soon. Soon being within a few months. I have enough on my plate right now.

Eating better != counting calories. You are on a financial diet, which you find hard enough to stick to. Eat better by cutting down on junk food, sugared drinks etc and eating more vegetables and home-cooked meals. You don't need to go "all in" on something to get a benefit from it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

BarbarianElephant posted:

Eating better != counting calories. You are on a financial diet, which you find hard enough to stick to. Eat better by cutting down on junk food, sugared drinks etc and eating more vegetables and home-cooked meals. You don't need to go "all in" on something to get a benefit from it.

You are right, doing some simple things like that will help but if you're not getting the whole picture of what your normal everyday eating is now, it's hard to get a handle on just how good/bad you're doing. In a way eating well (in a calories in/calories out sense) is way harder than finances because at least with buying stuff you have a number associated with the action, you may decide "technically I have enough money to buy this PS4 that is $400 even though I shouldn't". There isn't really a body overdraft protection physically limiting from eating more food than you need (within reason).

You could eat a salad for lunch and dinner with a modest breakfast and destroy your diet by getting a 800 calorie iced sugar coffee thing all the while thinking, well I earned this, I only ate salads today!

Eating sucks.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

BarbarianElephant posted:

I do this already, though. Our restaurant budget reflects that I think.

dreesemonkey posted:

You are right, doing some simple things like that will help but if you're not getting the whole picture of what your normal everyday eating is now, it's hard to get a handle on just how good/bad you're doing. In a way eating well (in a calories in/calories out sense) is way harder than finances because at least with buying stuff you have a number associated with the action, you may decide "technically I have enough money to buy this PS4 that is $400 even though I shouldn't". There isn't really a body overdraft protection physically limiting from eating more food than you need (within reason).

You could eat a salad for lunch and dinner with a modest breakfast and destroy your diet by getting a 800 calorie iced sugar coffee thing all the while thinking, well I earned this, I only ate salads today!

Eating sucks.

Yeah I think it turns it into a similar skill set as budgeting if you're counting calories, though. It's about not burning through your calories early in the day (don't spend early in the month), etc etc.

spwrozek posted:

There are financial posts in this thread still?

That would be my response. They get buried in pages and pages of other crap and then are stuck at the bottom of long posts. I really have no idea how you are doing.

Yeah agreed kind of. I'll do a breakdown of everything soon here.

Here's the current budget at least.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Consider getting toolkit for ynab and turning on pacing. :)

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Knyteguy posted:

So the thread has been quiet from a financial perspective. How do I view that?

Either:

a) People have gotten bored and aren't interested in posting in your thread for various reasons.
b) You have posted a budget and stuck to it, combined with posting introspective discussion of non-financial concerns, combined with relating how other factors than just your finances affect your finances. There is no further constructive criticism to offer.

Right now count me in b).

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

dreesemonkey posted:

The biggest effect on my sleep is when I eat good and get some sort of exercise during the day. Both of those things are free, one of them is not easy, however.
This, plus reading before bed, and being consistent w/ bedtime. I'm bad with the latter two.

Rurutia posted:

What is this?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Rurutia posted:

Ah, cool added pacing. Good idea. There's a lot in Toolkit for YNAB. I just hope they get around to adding anonymity on the username.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Either:

a) People have gotten bored and aren't interested in posting in your thread for various reasons.
b) You have posted a budget and stuck to it, combined with posting introspective discussion of non-financial concerns, combined with relating how other factors than just your finances affect your finances. There is no further constructive criticism to offer.

Right now count me in b).

Well if it's boring that's probably alright. Thanks for the insight.

SiGmA_X posted:

This, plus reading before bed, and being consistent w/ bedtime. I'm bad with the latter two.
What is this?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/toolkit-for-ynab/lmhdkkhepllpnondndgpgclfjnlofgjl?hl=en

Really nice plugin if you're not using it.

Selling another gun of mine. Getting $150 for it (.22 Savage Model 64) from a family member. Just need to sell the Nintendo 3DS and I'll be around $600 in sales for the month with more to go.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Yeah, boring is good. It means you seem to be on-track. How's the moodpanda going?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

Yeah, boring is good. It means you seem to be on-track. How's the moodpanda going?

Good. I think I hate work haha. So far it looks like I'm happiest on Fri/Sat, and least happy on Sun/Mon/Tues. Sundays are the day before work, for an explanation there.

I have a really good business idea that I'm going to run with I think. With copious planning. I'm not jumping into anything blind again.

Sold the gun. $150 cash. May is already setup for $850 for additional principal with nothing else happening.

Car MAF sensor probably went out. e: posting to AI - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699520&pagenumber=175#post458618258

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 12, 2016

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Knyteguy posted:

Good. I think I hate work haha. So far it looks like I'm happiest on Fri/Sat, and least happy on Sun/Mon/Tues. Sundays are the day before work, for an explanation there.

I have a really good business idea that I'm going to run with I think. With copious planning. I'm not jumping into anything blind again.

Sold the gun. $150 cash. May is already setup for $850 for additional principal with nothing else happening.

Car MAF sensor probably went out. e: posting to AI - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699520&pagenumber=175#post458618258

This post is peak Knyteguy. In one post you've analyzed your moods into some sort of mathematical formula, mentioned a new business idea, gotten a windfall (and will put it towards debt which is great) and then had a possible unexpected expense.

I'm not making GBS threads on you, it's just so perfect I want to frame it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

defectivemonkey posted:

This post is peak Knyteguy. In one post you've analyzed your moods into some sort of mathematical formula, mentioned a new business idea, gotten a windfall (and will put it towards debt which is great) and then had a possible unexpected expense.

I'm not making GBS threads on you, it's just so perfect I want to frame it.

Haha... Well MoodPanda gives me graphs I'm just looking at the graphs!

I get antsy without a business to run, so yeah I didn't notice but I'm not surprised there's a lot of posts about it. I've been running one of some sort since I was 13 or 14. Except for now when I'm more able to do it than I ever have been. I'm probably talking like $30 a month to start though. My current business income will cover it when I pull the trigger (30-45 days probably).

Business History Tidbits:
I quit my job to collect used pallets to sell to pallet yards. $2.50-$4.00 a piece for standard pallets (48x40s). I lasted 6 months with this as my sole income until the economy crashed in 2008/2009. It's too bad because I had some good contracts.

I also ran a pretty successful automotive-based forum, but that was more money on the side. I had a hell of a time cashing a $150 check from Google at 16. Bank of America was their bank and they absolutely refused to do it, thinking it was a fake check.

Anyway my point is I feel stifled working for someone else... :\

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 12, 2016

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Do you have an appointment for a psych/therapist at this point? I mean 3 weeks is cutting it extremely close very very close.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I also vote B. No news is good news. It would probably be more helpful if we were encouraging instead of silent, but that's just kind of how things work. Neutral or slightly positive - you hear nothing. REALLY good stuff (like knocking out a debt) people will probably speak up. Really bad stuff, or worrying stuff - as you well know - everyone comes out of the woodwork.

Knyte I recommend you reflect a bit on how you use the thread as a tool. Your comment came off almost as disappointed. I think some people subconsciously crave conflict, because they grew up with it. I know I do. Your behavior in the thread in the past has sometimes been a cycle of no news/I'm not ready to fight about what I did then big news/here we go, time to argue with the thread. If that is your tendency, if you felt mildly disappointed because no one feels like being a jerk, it's useful to know about it so you can identify it in other situations. Like I'm pretty good at not falling into behavior like this with strangers or friends, but I still find myself picking fights with my family sometimes.

Perc books: I have "Concert Solos for the Young Percussionist," "40 Intermediate Snare Drum Solos," and some method books like Alfred's Complete Drum Method. First one is pretty simple and the second gets pretty crazy by the end.

(Also good work with your budget, keep it up!)

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

Do you have an appointment for a psych/therapist at this point? I mean 3 weeks is cutting it extremely close very very close.

Not yet.

Hawkgirl posted:

I also vote B. No news is good news. It would probably be more helpful if we were encouraging instead of silent, but that's just kind of how things work. Neutral or slightly positive - you hear nothing. REALLY good stuff (like knocking out a debt) people will probably speak up. Really bad stuff, or worrying stuff - as you well know - everyone comes out of the woodwork.

Knyte I recommend you reflect a bit on how you use the thread as a tool. Your comment came off almost as disappointed. I think some people subconsciously crave conflict, because they grew up with it. I know I do. Your behavior in the thread in the past has sometimes been a cycle of no news/I'm not ready to fight about what I did then big news/here we go, time to argue with the thread. If that is your tendency, if you felt mildly disappointed because no one feels like being a jerk, it's useful to know about it so you can identify it in other situations. Like I'm pretty good at not falling into behavior like this with strangers or friends, but I still find myself picking fights with my family sometimes.

Perc books: I have "Concert Solos for the Young Percussionist," "40 Intermediate Snare Drum Solos," and some method books like Alfred's Complete Drum Method. First one is pretty simple and the second gets pretty crazy by the end.

(Also good work with your budget, keep it up!)

Ah cool, thanks for the book info. I may grab a practice pad this time which will probably get me playing more. I used to do rudiments on my Rock Band drums (which is how I got started drumming).

Meh a bit disappointed. Sometimes this thread is the most social activity I get while at work, and sometimes my other interests seem just as slow. As a reminder - half the month I don't have a single co-worker in the entire building to talk to, ~85% of the other half I maybe say "hey how's it going" to my boss and that's our conversation for the day. It's nice to talk finances which is something I'm often very interested in talking about. BUT if it's quite because I'm doing well then that's totally fine with me. I was more trying to figure out if that was a good sign or not.

Re: conflict - I like arguing, but I don't know if that's necessarily conflict. I don't generally like arguing with the thread, though. It's not fun getting dog piled.

e: Up to... $389 net off sales this month (424 gross). I'm actually taking $45 of that for a cheap server to experiment with some stuff. I'll probably move my $38 VPS to the $45 server.

Still have the New Nintendo 3DS XL to sell, which I'm currently asking $160 for.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 13, 2016

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hi I'm your AI representative.

LT1 Camaros have a backup MAP sensor on the intake manifold and will run on speed-density maps using the MAP, IAT, and RPM if the MAF is unplugged. This is not ideal long-term but you have time to get a new MAF if it's bad.

Here's a really great (shittily-designed 90's) website for your exact year make and model.

If you're talking about this little guy a very GWM approach right now would be cleaning the heated strip on the inside of the MAF tube, and retesting. MAFs are very picky about being clean. You literally just spray the strip inside the intake with MAF cleaner or electrical contact cleaner.

If that doesn't solve it, we can go through meter testing of the pins to make sure you aren't just gonna throw parts at it.

BWM: Buying a new MAF right now
GWM: Absolutely making sure you need a new MAF before you buy a new MAF

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Adiabatic posted:

Hi I'm your AI representative.

LT1 Camaros have a backup MAP sensor on the intake manifold and will run on speed-density maps using the MAP, IAT, and RPM if the MAF is unplugged. This is not ideal long-term but you have time to get a new MAF if it's bad.

Here's a really great (shittily-designed 90's) website for your exact year make and model.

If you're talking about this little guy a very GWM approach right now would be cleaning the heated strip on the inside of the MAF tube, and retesting. MAFs are very picky about being clean. You literally just spray the strip inside the intake with MAF cleaner or electrical contact cleaner.

If that doesn't solve it, we can go through meter testing of the pins to make sure you aren't just gonna throw parts at it.

BWM: Buying a new MAF right now
GWM: Absolutely making sure you need a new MAF before you buy a new MAF

Wow, thank you. I'll try that today. It is that sensor pictured, yes.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 13, 2016

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yup. Here's the three main bits:

Make sure they're still connected and spray the poo poo out of them. Watch it though, they're fragile.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

How'd the cleaning go? While poo poo is apart, check for any cracks in the rubber intake tubing downstream of the MAF. A big enough crack will give you the symptoms you're experiencing.

FYI I did a little research, and your MAF varies frequency instead of voltage. This sucks for diagnostics, as we need either an oscilloscope or an ALDL->USB cable to do any serious diagnostics on it. The software is free but the cable is $60 and this is a budget thread...

We can test to make sure nothing is seriously hosed with the help of a voltmeter, though.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Knyteguy posted:

Meh a bit disappointed. Sometimes this thread is the most social activity I get while at work, and sometimes my other interests seem just as slow. As a reminder - half the month I don't have a single co-worker in the entire building to talk to, ~85% of the other half I maybe say "hey how's it going" to my boss and that's our conversation for the day. It's nice to talk finances which is something I'm often very interested in talking about. BUT if it's quite because I'm doing well then that's totally fine with me. I was more trying to figure out if that was a good sign or not.

Re: conflict - I like arguing, but I don't know if that's necessarily conflict. I don't generally like arguing with the thread, though. It's not fun getting dog piled.

There's going to be some skepticism for a while in this thread given the overall history, but the net quiet is a form of progress compared to aggressive arguing.

I am personally waiting on you successfully sticking to your budget for at least 3 months (1 down), and for you to make good on your therapy Toxx. As you demonstrate better ability execute on your plans made in the past for the present, you'll get more interest in helping make plans in the present for the future.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Adiabatic posted:

How'd the cleaning go? While poo poo is apart, check for any cracks in the rubber intake tubing downstream of the MAF. A big enough crack will give you the symptoms you're experiencing.

FYI I did a little research, and your MAF varies frequency instead of voltage. This sucks for diagnostics, as we need either an oscilloscope or an ALDL->USB cable to do any serious diagnostics on it. The software is free but the cable is $60 and this is a budget thread...

We can test to make sure nothing is seriously hosed with the help of a voltmeter, though.

Sorry busy day at work and home - haven't had much time to respond.

I didn't get a chance to clean it yet; got sick (god kids get sick all the time). I'll run by tomorrow after work and let you know how it worked. I'm hoping!

I do have one of those ALDL cables (I bought it in a more spendy time). I've run a full diagnostic. It has some problems for sure. Here's what the engine codes were showing back in October slightly after I got it:

61 is just freon though I think.

There's going to be some skepticism for a while in this thread given the overall history, but the net quiet is a form of progress compared to aggressive arguing.

I am personally waiting on you successfully sticking to your budget for at least 3 months (1 down), and for you to make good on your therapy Toxx. As you demonstrate better ability execute on your plans made in the past for the present, you'll get more interest in helping make plans in the present for the future.

Alright. I am interested in some of my future plans for sure, and those have been held off on for a bit now.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Wait, wait. You live in Reno and have a car without AC?!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

ALDL cable

Oh neat. I assume you've got a voltmeter so here's your next steps if cleaning doesn't work...

According to this fella:

the middle black/white wire is ground, the reference is pink, and the signal to the ECU is yellow. Backprobe the sensor while it's plugged in, first with key to accessory and engine off. Pink-Black should be a 5V difference.

Then you want to backprobe yellow-black. According to this little guy:

it should be 5V on Key On Engine Off and 4.3V with Key On Engine Running.

Once you've verified nothing is majorly boned in that department, use your ALDL cable and the free TTS software to monitor the mass flow (in grams per second) of the MAF with the engine running. Internet says 6-10 g/s at idle, and it should steadily climb with RPM. If any of this is out of whack, try cleaning again and retest. If you're still getting wonky data, replace it.

EDIT: Secondary Air and EGR are whatever, but that first trouble code is a bit distressing. It may be due to your jaunt with the MAF plugged in, so try clearing all the codes and see if it pops up again. If it's still there, swap the O2 sensors with eachother and see if the code travels to the right bank. If it does, you need a new O2 sensor. If it doesn't, you've got issues.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 15, 2016

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Adiabatic posted:

Oh neat. I assume you've got a voltmeter so here's your next steps if cleaning doesn't work...

According to this fella:

the middle black/white wire is ground, the reference is pink, and the signal to the ECU is yellow. Backprobe the sensor while it's plugged in, first with key to accessory and engine off. Pink-Black should be a 5V difference.

Then you want to backprobe yellow-black. According to this little guy:

it should be 5V on Key On Engine Off and 4.3V with Key On Engine Running.

Once you've verified nothing is majorly boned in that department, use your ALDL cable and the free TTS software to monitor the mass flow (in grams per second) of the MAF with the engine running. Internet says 6-10 g/s at idle, and it should steadily climb with RPM. If any of this is out of whack, try cleaning again and retest. If you're still getting wonky data, replace it.

EDIT: Secondary Air and EGR are whatever, but that first trouble code is a bit distressing. It may be due to your jaunt with the MAF plugged in, so try clearing all the codes and see if it pops up again. If it's still there, swap the O2 sensors with eachother and see if the code travels to the right bank. If it does, you need a new O2 sensor. If it doesn't, you've got issues.

O2 sensor alright I'll have to try that tomorrow. I've been holding off on some car ramps but now that I have a bit of a car budget I can take care of it with a Harbor Freight special. Still much cheaper than a car payment that's for sure.

Ideally I can just keep this LT1 running cheap until the Optispark goes out and just throw in a new motor/transmission (like after we're out of debt and have some real savings/investments). I'm only running it about 100-150 miles a month or so right now.

Thank you very much for the help. I'll get back to you on results... the only thing I need to work out is how to run the software to the car. I don't have laptop access anymore. Better go buy a laptop as an investment :D!

SiGmA_X posted:

Wait, wait. You live in Reno and have a car without AC?!

Well I bought it in the Fall so I haven't gone a summer yet. And the window motors are shot... I'd better get a freon recharge next month or so.

Business Stuff
I'm likely going to start a hosting company again in November. Reno is getting one of (if not the) the largest data centers in the world and they're going to start taking public customers in November. I want to colocate a server or two to cut costs from a normal dedicated provider.

Data center: Supernap/Switch

How I'll fund it: my wife's and mine discretionary (she offered I didn't even think of it).
Niche: my local market's small businesses. I charge one customer $75/mo for hosting with $38 of costs. If I can get one customer I can get 10. If I can get 10 then I can get 100. Costs don't go up by $38/customer.
Experience: I actively host an ecommerce website, my own website, and my grandma's small photography website for 5-7 years now. At one point I was managing two commercial servers with 20-30 customers (most who were resellers so even more websites). I currently help manage the servers at the company I work for.
Sales draw: Free website migration if they have one (and I'll scrape that bitch if I have to, I moved my $75/mo customer by scraping 10,000 pages), or a free website with a 2-3 year contract if not. I can burn out a small business website pretty quickly if they have graphics. If I do a few I'll just make a template. I can also do web functionality as a consultant developer for $75-150/hr if they are inclined to pay for such services.
Costs:
Assuming Supernap isn't unattainable for me to start with then I'll need 1-2 server units in their Reno datacenter, 1-2 in their Vegas datacenter or at home (backups), some cheap enterprise hardware (Xeon E5520 builds).
LLC Setup, 2-person (wife and I will be co-owners)
IT Insurance
Server hardware (again Xeon E5520 dedi setups may work)

By going local exclusively I can cut out most odd support times which will keep me sane. My current $75/mo is basically passive, but I don't expect it to stay basically passive as more clients are added. With a local data center I can manage hardware myself. I can support small inquiries via email at work, and if it gets too busy where it could start to interfere with my job then I can hire a company like BobCares or use some resources I've found. Reno is slowly becoming a small little technology hub. We're getting 1gbps consumer internet, Charter just started offer 10gbps enterprise data connections, Supernap/Switch is moving in with their behemoth data center. I think this is an excellent time to capitalize on the opportunity.

As I said I've been here and done this. I've been running this server for 7 years now: http://www.pluswebhost.com/ I've learned a lot since my last endeavor, and I think incorporating a business and having insurance will help me draw in more customers. I just need to do more cost analysis before I really decide anything.

I have to do this; I have to try. My first web host I wandered aimlessly trying to compete with the big guys working 18 hours days sometimes just doing support. Going local will prevent most of that. 100+ customers and I'm in a quit the job and do this full time type territory. I can keep my standard employee taxes down with an LLC s-corp and dividend distributions rather than paying myself salary net from the business (but I need way more research here).

Things to do before committing:
Cost analysis. Obviously if this like $10,000 then I'm out for awhile (the joys of a history of bad financial decisions). I need both recurring and start up costs
Time analysis. Is this realistic? Can I support while at my day job without it becoming a problem?
Market analysis. Is there enough to go around? My uncle pays AT&T something like $150 a month for his 3-page plain carpet website every month. Those are the companies I want to target, but are there many?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Why don't you just set up an individual Linode or something for each client so you don't have to deal with a ridiculous amount of startup cost and pain in the rear end hardware issues? Their smallest plan is like $10 per month.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Why is there a plan for a start up company that is incredibly detailed yet we still haven't heard anything about your steps toward therapy. This must have taken many hours of your free time. Why is seeing a therapist and psychiatrist not a top priority? You have 15 days to make an appointment and go see them both ideally the fire to do this but not see a therapist is kind of bizarre to me.

Is there something you need to talk about?

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Knyteguy posted:

Things to do before committing:
Cost analysis. Obviously if this like $10,000 then I'm out for awhile (the joys of a history of bad financial decisions). I need both recurring and start up costs
Time analysis. Is this realistic? Can I support while at my day job without it becoming a problem?
Market analysis. Is there enough to go around? My uncle pays AT&T something like $150 a month for his 3-page plain carpet website every month. Those are the companies I want to target, but are there many?

Your uncle probably gets internet service with that $150 as well as hosting. Speaking from experience, a lot of small businesses don't want to rely on other tiny businesses for critical items. Paying an extra $30 a month for internet hosting from a big corporation can feel a lot safer than cutting costs and worrying about a solo operator getting bored or bankrupt and leaving them high and dry.

I'm not saying that to be a downer but it's a challenge you'll have to overcome to tap into that "a guy with a van, a phone, and a website" small business market.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I'm trying to keep you automotively GWM here and that will tend towards a bunch of DIY so here we go:

Knyteguy posted:

O2 sensor alright I'll have to try that tomorrow. I've been holding off on some car ramps but now that I have a bit of a car budget I can take care of it with a Harbor Freight special. Still much cheaper than a car payment that's for sure.

Make sure the trouble code comes back after you clear it, before you go spending money on them. Also they're a biiiiiiitch to get out so have fun!

Knyteguy posted:

Ideally I can just keep this LT1 running cheap until the Optispark goes out and just throw in a new motor/transmission (like after we're out of debt and have some real savings/investments). I'm only running it about 100-150 miles a month or so right now.

The main trouble with Optispark is not the optispark distributor itself. The waterpump is located directly above the optispark distributor and when it goes bad it leaks everywhere. This contaminates the optical sensor and wheel on the optispark distributor and bricks it.

Lesson: Keep an eye on coolant weeping from your water pump and replace it if you see any leaks, so this doesn't happen to you.

Knyteguy posted:

Well I bought it in the Fall so I haven't gone a summer yet. And the window motors are shot... I'd better get a freon recharge next month or so.

Buy this fella and head on over to Motronic's badass A/C information station and recharge it your drat self. You won't save much the first time as you have to buy the tool, but subsequent recharges are pennies on the dollar and it's super easy once you get the hang of it.

This is totally all to save you money and in no way an AI plot to infect you with the Jimbo disease.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Veskit posted:

Why is there a plan for a start up company that is incredibly detailed yet we still haven't heard anything about your steps toward therapy. This must have taken many hours of your free time. Why is seeing a therapist and psychiatrist not a top priority? You have 15 days to make an appointment and go see them both ideally the fire to do this but not see a therapist is kind of bizarre to me.

Probably because:

A) He really doesn't want to go, and
B) You've been the loudest voice banging the drum telling him THERAPY THERAPY THERAPY and (although I don't disagree he needs it) every time someone brings it up, he actively delays going longer.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

IllegallySober posted:

Probably because:

B) You've been the loudest voice banging the drum telling him THERAPY THERAPY THERAPY and (although I don't disagree he needs it) every time someone brings it up, he actively delays going longer.

I get what you're saying, but is it fair to say he's actively delaying because of someone bringing it up, when that has never been equated to him and his budget? I wouldn't say he purposely fucks up his budget and makes a big purchase anytime the thread pushed him too much, and I won't equate that to therapy.

I don't know what is going on though but this isn't right.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

IllegallySober posted:

Probably because:

A) Correct. But I waiver between wanting to go and not wanting to go.
B) Also correct. I've even mentioned in here that I wouldn't go if everyone wouldn't stop mentioning it.

I just don't like being pushed into stuff.

It's like if I don't want to go then I'm not going to go. This is my choice, and I intend to keep it that way. It will be my choice to start calling when I plan on calling. No amount of badgering will change that fact for me. And frankly I feel like everyone is going "therapy therapy therapy" when the point in this thread when I really needed therapy was when I was already getting it.

It's also like I feel like all the badgering is turning something that should be... nice into something that I'm starting to hate the feeling of going to. I chose therapy twice in the past two years on my own because I thought I could benefit from it, not because everyone was badgering me.

Edit: and it also detracts heavily from stuff I want to actually talk about. Like the business/car/finances. I don't need a post right in the middle of good discussions reminding me. That probably annoys me the most. Like here it is a derail when I was learning something actually valuable. I said I'd do it by May 1st and I fully intend to. I don't know what else needs to possibly be said.

I'm putting this first in the hopes that this discussion will go away for now.

Droo posted:

Why don't you just set up an individual Linode or something for each client so you don't have to deal with a ridiculous amount of startup cost and pain in the rear end hardware issues? Their smallest plan is like $10 per month.

Not a bad idea to start. If startup costs are high then I will likely go this route. However the hardware stuff actually sounds kind of fun. I could potentially use a really cheap server like that as backups with RSYNC. Not sure yet this is what I want to figure out. If everything takes off then I'd like to start a little data center of my own (keyword little). My neighbor who I grew up next to did this with a few cabinets. Successful guy.

Veskit posted:

No. Monday my boss is out of town (or should be), so I intend on beginning my calling then.

bringer posted:

Your uncle probably gets internet service with that $150 as well as hosting. Speaking from experience, a lot of small businesses don't want to rely on other tiny businesses for critical items. Paying an extra $30 a month for internet hosting from a big corporation can feel a lot safer than cutting costs and worrying about a solo operator getting bored or bankrupt and leaving them high and dry.

I'm not saying that to be a downer but it's a challenge you'll have to overcome to tap into that "a guy with a van, a phone, and a website" small business market.

Hm OK. I did have trouble with local acquisition before. So if "fear of X" is something that is preventing customers from a service then I'll need to come up with a way to alleviate that fear.

My old local acquisition strategy was to hook a local optical lens place up with a free website and free hosting with the assumption that he refer some customers from say his other small business friends (I gave him some business cards to hand out). He didn't send me one over 2 years. I'll never do that again. I did end up getting $200 out of him though.

Not sure if my uncle's plan includes internet he didn't mention it, but that would make sense. That's obviously something that's out of my realm as a startup. I'll have to ask him more. I owe him a website for some linoleum anyway.

Thanks for the insight. I'll give it some thought if I proceed (likely I will in some manner).

Adiabatic posted:

I'm trying to keep you automotively GWM here and that will tend towards a bunch of DIY so here we go:

Make sure the trouble code comes back after you clear it, before you go spending money on them. Also they're a biiiiiiitch to get out so have fun!

The main trouble with Optispark is not the optispark distributor itself. The waterpump is located directly above the optispark distributor and when it goes bad it leaks everywhere. This contaminates the optical sensor and wheel on the optispark distributor and bricks it.

Lesson: Keep an eye on coolant weeping from your water pump and replace it if you see any leaks, so this doesn't happen to you.

Buy this fella and head on over to Motronic's badass A/C information station and recharge it your drat self. You won't save much the first time as you have to buy the tool, but subsequent recharges are pennies on the dollar and it's super easy once you get the hang of it.

This is totally all to save you money and in no way an AI plot to infect you with the Jimbo disease.

K thanks again. I'll do what I can this weekend. Haha I think I used to know to call it refrigerant I forgot about that. Refrigerant will likely be next month though. Cool though I'd like to learn the process.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 15, 2016

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

Actually you know what, no I'm not going to deflect and avoid this question.

I'm taking many hours planning this business (to the point of driving to the data center) because I need to start betting on myself again. My self esteem has been shot working the position I'm in. It wasn't my first choice through all the interviews I did at that point, and it was never meant to be more than a "start". When I started planning this the other day it's the first time in a long time that I've felt like I know who I am again. This isn't a want, it's a need. I won't be content unless I can give it a true go.

This guy started his IT business in Reno: http://www.shortstack.com/about/. He just posted his super car he bought on Facebook. Do I need to buy a super car to be happy? No of course not (thought it would be really cool). But I do want to meet my financial goals more quickly than I currently am. Everyone keeps mentioning that it's not in my core to be ultra frugal, and I agree. I've made leaps and bounds, but how much more room for improvement is there in me as far as cutting goes?

I know my long term goal, and I've known it for about 3 years now: I want the ability to retire before I'm 40. That's 10.25 years to figure out something. If I try and fail then I will have no regrets. I don't plan on going all in or anything foolish like that. We've reached a degree of financial stability and debt pay down that I'm quite happy with, and want to stay with. I fully intend on using money we free up when this process is finished towards investments and stability.

But I need to try to get a business going. I can't help it it's just what I need to do.

Therapy is a priority, yes. I think about it constantly. I'll repeat it again: I said I'd have a visit by the 1st of May and I intend to. I don't need the reminders.

e: for the eye candy since it's been getting all AI up in here!

e2: and if people want to roll their eyes at my goal then fine. I had people rolling their eyes at me when I said I was done with warehouse work and wanted to make more money (already making $19.10/hr), or that "people that work cable for 6 months generally do it for life" 6 months after I'd been working there, or getting out of sheet metal, or that "the whole family does carpet" etc. I did that becoming a software developer and now I want to take the next step again.

Anyway I'm a little stressed right now (lack of sleep again) so I'm going to step back and take a walk at lunch. I was up all night setting up that server Thursday and was up reading late last night (for pleasure). I've gotta let myself unwind after 9:00 or so.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 15, 2016

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

i am a petulant child and after making a commitment to go to therapy before may i am now saying if i don't want to i won't

It doesn't matter if you want to or not. Therapy before May 1st, or you get toxxx banned. That is 15 days away.

Veskit asked you a perfectly sound question: how are you making detailed plans about a small business that you are literally incapable of acting upon until November at the earliest, but you still do not have a therapy plan? You committed to going before May 1st, and part of your reasoning for that long time horizon was to give yourself time to plan and find a good therapist. If you do not have an appointment now it severely narrows your options, and might mean that you cannot go before May 1st. Which means you will be banned.

Now Veskit is totally grinding an axe and maybe that gets on your nerves, but you continually making plans and commitments and then frequently not delivering on them gets on my nerves, and it is the number one thing which will still generate friction in this thread.

You claim that Veskit is derailing your conversation that you're invested in on diagnosing your Camaro, but you started talking about something completely different with your hosting business, and that has nothing to do with the mass airflow sensor in your Camaro. He reacted to you talking about your hosting business, so you derailed that discussion, not Veskit.

There are a bunch of ways you could have reacted:

- "Wow, that's a good point, maybe I should get cracking on making an appointment to visit a therapist so I can satisfy the commitment that past Knyteguy made."
- "I have an entirely good reason for having this plan and not having a therapy plan. It turns out I made this plan before I even made the therapy toxx." (lie, but it could have been true, maybe you had a real, good answer)
- "I don't have to go if I don't want to. Stop bothering me about this."

The last option is what you chose, and it steers the conversation away from your own accountability. Many people, myself included, feel that you have a pattern of behavior of trying to avoid accountability. Not only that you reached for a marginally nuclear option of choosing to get banned over a Toxx so that you can feel like you aren't pressured into going to therapy, but all that pressure comes from you and the Toxx that you made that you would go too a therapist before May 1st.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Knyteguy posted:

Actually you know what, no I'm not going to deflect and avoid this question.

I'm taking many hours planning this business (to the point of driving to the data center) because I need to start betting on myself again. My self esteem has been shot working the position I'm in. It wasn't my first choice through all the interviews I did at that point, and it was never meant to be more than a "start". When I started planning this the other day it's the first time in a long time that I've felt like I know who I am again. This isn't a want, it's a need. I won't be content unless I can give it a true go.

Therapy can help you find contentedness.

Have you ever been really stressed out, over a long period of time, and then found one thing in particular that just drove you nuts and that thing was the only thing you could think of, it was the root of all your discomfort and bad feelings? That's your brain tricking you. It's easier to look at one thing and go "that motherfucker cut me off, I will destroy him and everything he loves" instead of recognizing that you've been feeling negative for a long time. It provides a focal point for your negative energy but it's not a healthy one because it doesn't resolve the actual problem.

This business planning looks like the same thing in the opposite direction -- you're unhappy and have decided that your lack of direction / goals are the cause and now you're all fired up to plan a way to deal with it. That's not bad in and of itself, but it's not a way forward. If your self-worth and happiness are entirely reliant on the success or failure of your own business you're still at the mercy of others, but now there's an additional stressor involved because you're tied up financially with things.

bringer fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 15, 2016

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

It doesn't matter if you want to or not. Therapy before May 1st, or you get toxxx banned. That is 15 days away.

Veskit asked you a perfectly sound question: how are you making detailed plans about a small business that you are literally incapable of acting upon until November at the earliest, but you still do not have a therapy plan? You committed to going before May 1st, and part of your reasoning for that long time horizon was to give yourself time to plan and find a good therapist. If you do not have an appointment now it severely narrows your options, and might mean that you cannot go before May 1st. Which means you will be banned.

Now Veskit is totally grinding an axe and maybe that gets on your nerves, but you continually making plans and commitments and then frequently not delivering on them gets on my nerves, and it is the number one thing which will still generate friction in this thread.

You claim that Veskit is derailing your conversation that you're invested in on diagnosing your Camaro, but you started talking about something completely different with your hosting business, and that has nothing to do with the mass airflow sensor in your Camaro. He reacted to you talking about your hosting business, so you derailed that discussion, not Veskit.

There are a bunch of ways you could have reacted:

- "Wow, that's a good point, maybe I should get cracking on making an appointment to visit a therapist so I can satisfy the commitment that past Knyteguy made."
- "I have an entirely good reason for having this plan and not having a therapy plan. It turns out I made this plan before I even made the therapy toxx." (lie, but it could have been true, maybe you had a real, good answer)
- "I don't have to go if I don't want to. Stop bothering me about this."

The last option is what you chose, and it steers the conversation away from your own accountability. Many people, myself included, feel that you have a pattern of behavior of trying to avoid accountability. Not only that you reached for a marginally nuclear option of choosing to get banned over a Toxx so that you can feel like you aren't pressured into going to therapy, but all that pressure comes from you and the Toxx that you made that you would go too a therapist before May 1st.

Timing is critical. Like maybe ask for an update not right in the middle of me being focused on other things with everyone else. The thread has plenty of slow periods.

And I do have a therapy plan I've already said that.

Yeah and the Camaro and business talk is new, and it doesn't have a plan in place, where the therapy does. I don't need to share every detail that's why I set a toxx. If I wanted to be harassed about therapy all day I'd go to E/N. I clearly chose BFC. I admit there's a tangential relationship, but can we maybe just for a day talk about finances without a post right in the middle of it asking about therapy when I said I'm doing?

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

I admit there's a tangential relationship, but can we maybe just for a day talk about finances without a post right in the middle of it asking about therapy when I said I'm doing?

Yes, we can absolutely have that. Tell people the plan for therapy. I might have missed it. I am not presently satisfied that you have a plan for therapy with sufficient detail and rigor that you will successfully execute it before May 1st. If you have a plan for therapy that seems like it will realistically meet the constraints you are under, which is that you GO before May 1st, then not only will people shut up about you making an appointment, I will cover your back and tell any nuisance posters that you already have a realistic plan for therapy and what it is.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Adiabatic posted:

He needs more than that to do AC.

And I'd advise against ramps, they suck. Get 4 stands and a jack.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

bringer posted:

Therapy can help you find contentedness.

Have you ever been really stressed out, over a long period of time, and then found one thing in particular that just drove you nuts and that thing was the only thing you could think of, it was the root of all your discomfort and bad feelings? That's your brain tricking you. It's easier to look at one thing and go "that motherfucker cut me off, I will destroy him and everything he loves" instead of recognizing that you've been feeling negative for a long time. It provides a focal point for your negative energy but it's not a healthy one because it doesn't resolve the actual problem.

This business planning looks like the same thing in the opposite direction -- you're unhappy and have decided that your lack of direction / goals are the cause and now you're all fired up to plan a way to deal with it. That's not bad in and of itself, but it's not a way forward. If your self-worth and happiness are entirely reliant on the success or failure of your own business you're still at the mercy of others, but now there's an additional stressor involved because you're tied up financially with things.

Contentedness scares me though. If you're content then why have ambition?

My happiness and self worth isn't completely tied no. That said a business for me is a creative outlet for me to do what I want (ie not work on the same mobile app features for 2 years). It's fulfilling for me to take on the projects I want to do, to actually make websites (all I've done since I was like 12 and I got the internet), to make money completely on my own, etc. You're right that some of my recent negativity may be tied into this as a symptom, but I haven't been feeling all that negative. Just driven. Incredibly driven. This is how I used to feel, and it's made me feel really good. Like I'm actually capable of allowing myself to start something, instead of feeling the need to hinder it.

To prove a point:

Each of those bars is a day.

Today is the most negative day I've had in awhile. I know why, but this business has nothing to do with it. That why is why I want therapy.

edit: and like I said it's not that I want to quit my job for this or spend oodles of unplanned money or anything. I just want to try it. It ties in with my consulting which I feel like I can sustain the business on if nothing else.

Yes, we can absolutely have that. Tell people the plan for therapy. I might have missed it. I am not presently satisfied that you have a plan for therapy with sufficient detail and rigor that you will successfully execute it before May 1st. If you have a plan for therapy that seems like it will realistically meet the constraints you are under, which is that you GO before May 1st, then not only will people shut up about you making an appointment, I will cover your back and tell any nuisance posters that you already have a realistic plan for therapy and what it is.

Monday my boss is out of town, so I'll start calling first thing then. I'll just start using my salary time like I'm actually salaried for visits. I've been putting in a lot of extra time to the company lately, so I deserve a little back.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

He needs more than that to do AC.

And I'd advise against ramps, they suck. Get 4 stands and a jack.

AI Beemer fan throwdown

If it gets to that stuff then I'll need to hold off. My tire tread is getting down there so I'm trying to conserve my car repair budget for when I need to pick some new ones up.

• Locked thread