Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

Same basic design, but they've added more ornamentation, and altered some details like the mask, helmet and clasp, and added pauldrons.

I actually like the old mask better tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giffan
Jul 10, 2012
I saw the update for FFIX and my heart skipped a beat. Goodbye free time~

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
About drat time FF9 had a PC port. Hopefully the port is well done (hahahahaha).

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Some people are having controller troubles but it otherwise seems alright. I mean, it's a phone port so probably limit your expectations going in, but I think it looks nice

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd be down for some FF9 PC but not at £12.79 (20% RRP £16.99)

£5 maybe.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Let's see, looks like we have the original music, which is great 'cos 7 and 8 having midis killed it for me. Player and NPC models look gorgeous, I don't know if they've been gone over or if these are the original textures on something that's not a psx, you can really tell who is pre-rendered though haha. BGs look awful, which is to be expected because apparently the renders were all lost in the S-E merge, real shame that.

I've only had one battle (because running around as Vivi takes a year) but it had a pretty long load time, hoping that was just for that battle but probably not? Oh and also there are cheat options like the PS4 version of FFVII, buried in the config menu, but once you turn them on you cant turn them off? Also no speed up button :(

Edit: Oh yeah it only looks like certain models got retextured (like FFX) but those old textures are still really pretty.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 14, 2016

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Let's see, looks like we have the original music, which is great 'cos 7 and 8 having midis killed it for me. Player and NPC models look gorgeous, I don't know if they've been gone over or if these are the original textures on something that's not a psx, you can really tell who is pre-rendered though haha. BGs look awful, which is to be expected because apparently the renders were all lost in the S-E merge, real shame that.

I've only had one battle (because running around as Vivi takes a year) but it had a pretty long load time, hoping that was just for that battle but probably not? Oh and also there are cheat options like the PS4 version of FFVII, buried in the config menu, but once you turn them on you cant turn them off? Also no speed up button :(

Edit: Oh yeah it only looks like certain models got retextured (like FFX) but those old textures are still really pretty.
There is a speed up option, it's been in all their marketing.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

LightReaper posted:

There is a speed up option, it's been in all their marketing.

Ah found em! You have to hit pause and then a shoulder button, that's why I couldn't find it

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Jesus that battle UI is way too large.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Fam I ain't outta Hawaii quite yet so there's a really good chance you'll beat my 150KB/s :shepicide:

Jesus, it's that bad? I just got some Cat6 lined through the house so my room could be properly connected to the connection box. I was so sick of 300-400KB/s over powerline, you see. Now I feel lucky.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The phone port was really good, so a pc version of that is good news.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Jesus that battle UI is way too large.
Here's hoping for some mods?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ugh god help me the stock phone font and menus blatantly designed for a finger to not miss are so ugly. It clashes so badly with the rest of the game.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Red Red Blue posted:

Some people are having controller troubles but it otherwise seems alright. I mean, it's a phone port so probably limit your expectations going in, but I think it looks nice

Most people's controller issues are reportedly being fixed by turning your controller on after you launch the game.

The main thing that sucks is the mobile UI. I hope that people complain about that a lot and loudly so SE puts in the time to fix it. Otherwise, there is always the mod community.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

He gets to grow old and die without regrets on the run, and labeled as a monster. So they mirror the other in that way, too.

He isn't on the run, though. Everyone thinks he's dead, so he gets to live as a nameless commoner. Or rather, a nameless commoner with all that gil I had left over and legitimate combat experience. Ramza is 100% a-okay.

The White Dragon posted:

why do you spell alazam like this

Because that's how WotL spells it. Either way you spell it, it is not a good name.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think I'll wait and see if there's a UI mod before buying ffix.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Is the scene where Steiner breaks Blank's outfit full of Oglops supposed be slow or did this lag? :cripes:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Another reported UI issue:

The targeting system no longer has the "hand icon" that hovers over enemies. We are stuck with the table/menu system only. Seriously, gently caress mobile.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

Another reported UI issue:

The targeting system no longer has the "hand icon" that hovers over enemies. We are stuck with the table/menu system only. Seriously, gently caress mobile.

oh god that looks gross, i mean i'll prob get it eventually but...man

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

AlphaKretin posted:

Is the scene where Steiner breaks Blank's outfit full of Oglops supposed be slow or did this lag? :cripes:

That's the bit during the battle right? Yeah it always murdered the battle scene's framerate

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

oh god that looks gross, i mean i'll prob get it eventually but...man

I bought it anyways. This annoys me but not enough to prevent a purchase. It is definitely enough for me to go whine about it on the internet though.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Shoehead posted:

That's the bit during the battle right? Yeah it always murdered the battle scene's framerate

Oh ok fair enough then.

I found an option called skip battle intro and ticked it assuming it would stop the infamous panning at the start of every fight, but nope.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh ok fair enough then.

I found an option called skip battle intro and ticked it assuming it would stop the infamous panning at the start of every fight, but nope.
Laffo what does it skip?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

still a better UI than the new dissidias monstrosity

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

LightReaper posted:

Laffo what does it skip?

No idea, I turned it on before any fight so I have no point of reference. I haven't got too far so maybe it does skip them, but only for random encounters.

Unrelatedly:

Is it harder on an emulator or am I just better than I thought at QTEs?

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 14, 2016

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

AlphaKretin posted:

Unrelatedly:

Is it harder on an emulator or am I just better than I thought at QTEs?

Other people are saying that it is a lot easier now so I think that they changed the formula.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh poo poo right they probably had to compensate for having to do it on a touch screen. How did it work on phones anyway?

E:VVV Probably not, I couldn't even get 2.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 14, 2016

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
They better not have nerfed the jump rope

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Reddit is saying you can buy IX from GMG for an additional 20% off of Steam's sale if you enter the code APR20.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/ar/en/pc/games/rpgs/final-fantasy-ix/

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Is FFIX pc really 20 gigs?

Are the hd cg movies 90% of that?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Sivek posted:

Is FFIX pc really 20 gigs?

Are the hd cg movies 90% of that?

The store page was updated, it calls for 7 GB and the download is like 3.6

E: 7.1 GB once everything is downloaded and unpacked.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Been playing FFVI with the Beyond Chaos randomiser. On the one hand, Locke is a berserker and Edgar had Tools replaced by Muddle, on the other, Sabin knows Lore, Blitz, and X-Magic, and Terra has free Holy and Magitek, which weirdly includes Hyperdrive.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Was there a version of the FFVI randomizer for the gba version?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
just bought Type-0 HD since it was $20 on Amazon :toot:

I know people have their issues with it, but I've liked every mainline Final Fantasy after (and including) IV, and they patched whatever camera issue people were having, right?

anything else super important I should know about it going in, other than I assume the XV demo isn't a thing anymore?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

morallyobjected posted:

I know people have their issues with it, but I've liked every mainline Final Fantasy after (and including) IV, and they patched whatever camera issue people were having, right?

anything else super important I should know about it going in, other than I assume the XV demo isn't a thing anymore?

Yeah, the plot is garbage. Okay gameplay, though!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

morallyobjected posted:

If you get a code for the FF XV demo try it anyway, 'expired' digital codes often still work.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Krad posted:

Yeah, the plot is garbage. Okay gameplay, though!

disclaimer I am one of the people who liked the plot of VIII just fine and it's among my favourites in the series

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Was there a version of the FFVI randomizer for the gba version?

AFAIK, nope, both the randomisers that exist are for the SNES version.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

morallyobjected posted:

disclaimer I am one of the people who liked the plot of VIII just fine and it's among my favourites in the series

I like the plot in most of them (except XIII), it's just that Type-0's is a mess that requires you to read compendiums to understand what's going on and the characters virtually don't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

morallyobjected posted:

Don't worry about doing everything because there's new game plus

Don't take story opinions from this thread