Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Platystemon posted:

Turn on the heater to draw some current?

I'm pretty sure this is basically how dynamic braking in diesel-electric trains works, they have huge resistor grids on the roof that let them run the motors as generators and then dissipate that massive amount of energy as heat. Assuming the electric heater in a Tesla is just a resistor setup (no reason it wouldn't be, they're incredibly efficient) it's sort of the same thing on a hugely different scale.

It's also funny to think about, in an old gasoline car you might have to turn the heater on going uphill in an attempt to stave off overheating while you worked the engine. In an electric car you might have to turn on the heater going downhill to burn power and make room for regenerative braking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wolrah posted:

It's also funny to think about, in an old gasoline car you might have to turn the heater on going uphill in an attempt to stave off overheating while you worked the engine. In an electric car you might have to turn on the heater going downhill to burn power and make room for regenerative braking.

I’ve heard of people in hybrids turning on the A/C and headlights when descending from Mount Washington.

Of course with hybrids you can’t necessarily start with a low battery, and even if you could, it doesn’t take long to fill.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Obviously the excess heat should be used to turn wood into charcoal for the cookout at the house :colbert:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I like the idea of outfitting a model s with a dynamic braking grid on the roof. Throw away all that regenerative braking power as heat, that'll piss the environmentalists off! Run a huge rear end fuckoff loud fan to cool it too, just like the locomotives.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I like the idea of outfitting a model s with a dynamic braking grid on the roof. Throw away all that regenerative braking power as heat, that'll piss the environmentalists off! Run a huge rear end fuckoff loud fan to cool it too, just like the locomotives.

Hook up a fog machine, get a bumper sticker that says “My car is literally coal powered”.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Platystemon posted:

Hook up a fog machine, get a bumper sticker that says “My car is literally coal powered”.

"I vape"

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

How about just putting big aero braking flaps on the roof?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Don Lapre posted:

Does the car work when its being updated? Could be to prevent malicious loving around.

No, but I can use the app to start the car and make it drive forwards or backwards (Summon), so they seem to have a high tolerance for possibly-malicious capabilities.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

wolrah posted:

I'm pretty sure this is basically how dynamic braking in diesel-electric trains works, they have huge resistor grids on the roof that let them run the motors as generators and then dissipate that massive amount of energy as heat. Assuming the electric heater in a Tesla is just a resistor setup (no reason it wouldn't be, they're incredibly efficient) it's sort of the same thing on a hugely different scale.

It does look like Model S has a 6 kW PTC heater, which is a bit surprising since for example Leaf uses heat pump.

But I find it curious that you would call it efficient. Sure, a resistor turns 100% of the electricity it draws in to heat, but that's still far less than the 300% a heat pump could achieve. On an electric vehicle we would have better uses than heating for that electricity.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Saukkis posted:

It does look like Model S has a 6 kW PTC heater, which is a bit surprising since for example Leaf uses heat pump.

But I find it curious that you would call it efficient. Sure, a resistor turns 100% of the electricity it draws in to heat, but that's still far less than the 300% a heat pump could achieve. On an electric vehicle we would have better uses than heating for that electricity.

Bulkier and more expensive hardware is one factor, designed by Californians is another. There are many details that Tesla has been criticized for in proper winter conditions. But to be fair with them, a lot of cars that should know better, BMW and VAG in particular, also have cool quirks or fancy features which turn out to be liabilities below freezing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ola posted:

Bulkier and more expensive hardware is one factor, designed by Californians is another. There are many details that Tesla has been criticized for in proper winter conditions. But to be fair with them, a lot of cars that should know better, BMW and VAG in particular, also have cool quirks or fancy features which turn out to be liabilities below freezing.

But failing to properly prepare for winter conditions is also a German tradition.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Niceee

Ola posted:

Anything specific? It does get pretty cold in Germany and they all seem to be testing their cars in the frozen wastelands of Sweden so it seems like they should know better.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Saukkis posted:

I wouldn't call near 100% efficiency not efficient though.

Don't heat pumps have issues with heating in really low temperatures? I know they're used for home heating in some regions with moderate winters, but here in Ohio it's pretty much all electric or combustion. I'm not really that familiar with them but I'm pretty sure the core concept is roughly a reversible air conditioner and you're effectively heating your house by cooling the outside.

Since Tesla uses a liquid cooling system for the motors and batteries I wouldn't be surprised to find there's also a roughly standard heater core setup like most other cars that handles normal heating needs once the car's warmed up and the resistor pack only fires up when it's needed, sort of like an auxiliary heater on a diesel.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 14, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Niceee

Anything specific? It does get pretty cold in Germany and they all seem to be testing their cars in the frozen wastelands of Sweden so it seems like they should know better.

Frameless windows which stick or at best isolate poorly. Tight space in wheel arches and wheel arch material which collects snow, leading to wheel rubbing against a block of ice. Diesels which don't get the coolant up to operating temps. VW window motors and locks which freeze up and breaks. Off the top of my head, stuff I've heard about. The only German car I've owned was a 1978 Opel Rekord. Poor choke circuit on the carb and pooling water in the passenger foot well seems to be issues they've resolved.

Platystemon posted:

But failing to properly prepare for winter conditions is also a German tradition.

Haha, nice! I click my heels to you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wolrah posted:

Don't heat pumps have issues with heating in really low temperatures? I know they're used for home heating in some regions with moderate winters, but here in Ohio it's pretty much all electric or combustion. I'm not really that familiar with them but I'm pretty sure the core concept is roughly a reversible air conditioner and you're effectively heating your house by cooling the outside.

Yeah, heat pumps do really well when the difference between outside temperature and desired inside temperature is modest, but when it gets truly cold outside they struggle.

Don’t get me wrong, heat pumps are great in a lot of weather, but if that’s the only way Tesla had to heat the car, people would be even more right about complaining about Californian design.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Modern heat pumps can handle sub zero temps now.

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
the heat pump in my Soul works pretty well in -10c , and here in the north of Norway heat pumps are a pretty popular heat source in houses. As far as I know they work down to at least -30c.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Klogdor posted:

the heat pump in my Soul works pretty well in -10c , and here in the north of Norway heat pumps are a pretty popular heat source in houses. As far as I know they work down to at least -30c.

You've had it for a month now, tell us more! 30 kWh? Normal range at -10? Whereabouts are you exactly? And does it heat without the heat pump if it's crazy cold?

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007

Ola posted:

You've had it for a month now, tell us more! 30 kWh? Normal range at -10? Whereabouts are you exactly? And does it heat without the heat pump if it's crazy cold?

well, I had to leave it behind for my easter vacation since the network of chargers around here pretty much sucks, so I havent used it that much.

the temperatures have been at or around 0 the last weeks, but the times I've driven it in -10 I've averaged 16.5 kWh/100km on my 100km return trip to/from work. with an estimated range of around 160 km.

with preheating both in the morning and when I return from work the draw from the heater is usually 1-1.5kW.

I live in Tromsø, and I have to cross a small mountain pass (maybe 400 meters of elevation from sealevel)

oh, and I'm pretty sure its 27kW net.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

160 km isn't much for long range travel, even on your commute you have to charge at work right? Can you preheat via mobile or do you have to get in the car to switch it on?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can pre-heat from mobile, or if your schedule is regular it can learn when to pre-heat/cool.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

You can pre-heat from mobile, or if your schedule is regular it can learn when to pre-heat/cool.

Can the Soul do that? I know the Model S can and that you have one, just making sure we're unconfused.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
I asked something similar in the small questions thread, but maybe it's too EV-specific.

If I live in BC, Canada, and I preordered a Model 3... Am I supposed to expect that the cost for this "mainstream EV" will be like 60k CAD or something insane? If it's in like the 45k range (after incentives), I think it'd still be manageable but anything higher than that and I'm worried I'll have to back out.

The Model S has a price difference of around 25k between the US and Canada, but it is a luxury car. I'd assume that with a more affordable car the price difference might not be so huge?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

wolrah posted:

Modern residential heat pumps work just fine at -20°C and some models produce more heat than they use electricity even at -30°C. I think they are pretty common in northern Finland. And yes, it is pretty much an air conditioning unit that has been designed to work in both directions. So the concern about increased bulk shouldn't be much of an issue since Tesla already has a heat pump, it would have just required some extra designing.

But still, can't say that the Tesla decision was wrong, the performance and success of Model S speaks for itself. But it would be interesting to learn more about their reasoning for not using heat pump.

And I still wouldn't call resistors efficient just because they achieve 100%. Is it even possible to create a heater with less than 100% efficiency, unless you use a light bulb in a windowed room.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ola posted:

Can the Soul do that? I know the Model S can and that you have one, just making sure we're unconfused.

Oh, sorry, don't know about the Soul, must have misread. Sorry!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Vic Boss posted:

The Model S has a price difference of around 25k between the US and Canada, but it is a luxury car. I'd assume that with a more affordable car the price difference might not be so huge?

Get educated on your import taxes and fees. I wouldn't be surprised if you had some. The price difference of S is big, but perhaps some fees are flat and others are %. If the price turns out bad for you, you have to cancel. It means you have to give up your $1000 preorder. You'll only get $1000 back. Not sure how this translates to CAD.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Vic Boss posted:

I asked something similar in the small questions thread, but maybe it's too EV-specific.

If I live in BC, Canada, and I preordered a Model 3... Am I supposed to expect that the cost for this "mainstream EV" will be like 60k CAD or something insane? If it's in like the 45k range (after incentives), I think it'd still be manageable but anything higher than that and I'm worried I'll have to back out.

Some import fees will be flat, some costs will be percentage. Currency will fluctuate. Until it gets closer there isn't a lot of point in speculating.
Worst case its too expensive and you get your deposit back. For now don't even worry about it.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Agreed, and sometimes pricing in CAD doesn't make any sense. Like they make it par when our dollar is down, or 20% extra when the dollar is up.
So wait until you actually see the car.
If it was me, Id get my $1k back, and use it for cheetoes or something, because if you are trying to save money, pre-order means nothing.
They aren't going to sell the cheap ones first, and in BC, we don't have the same incentive cap. Ours is just dollar amount total. So if Chevy sells more EV's before the tesla exists, then the pool of incentive money is gone.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Get educated on your import taxes and fees. I wouldn't be surprised if you had some. The price difference of S is big, but perhaps some fees are flat and others are %. If the price turns out bad for you, you have to cancel. It means you have to give up your $1000 preorder. You'll only get $1000 back. Not sure how this translates to CAD.

There should be zero government imposed import duties or taxes due, because of NAFTA, due to the car being built in the US. Randomly applied "we're selling it for this much because we can" markups and currency hedges applied by the manufacturer are a different matter though.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.
Okay thanks guys. I'll just try and forget about it until more info's out, but here's hoping I can afford it. First car I've ever given a poo poo about.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Linedance posted:

There should be zero government imposed import duties or taxes due, because of NAFTA, due to the car being built in the US. Randomly applied "we're selling it for this much because we can" markups and currency hedges applied by the manufacturer are a different matter though.

I thought I heard something about it not qualifying for NAFTA's non tariffed-ness because the cells being made in Japan caused it to not be be American enough, but I don't have a source on that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

borkencode posted:

I thought I heard something about it not qualifying for NAFTA's non tariffed-ness because the cells being made in Japan caused it to not be be American enough, but I don't have a source on that.

That's the case, I believe it's a 6% tariff. The 3's batteries are all supposed to come from the Gigafactory though, AIUI, in which case it'll be fine.

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007

Ola posted:

160 km isn't much for long range travel, even on your commute you have to charge at work right? Can you preheat via mobile or do you have to get in the car to switch it on?

I usually have 110 kilometers left when I get to work, so no, I don't have to charge at work (but charging there saves me power at home, so why not.)

This is with the aircondition running and everything, I havent really tried driving very range-friendly yet. It beats the leafs at work with a pretty good margin, and I assume I'll be able to squeeze some more range out of it if I bother to try.

There's no mobile connectivity in the european soul, the hardware might be there but Kia says they dont have a telemetry centre in europe, or something like that. So the preheating is done via the dash. I can set different times per day of the week, but thats pretty much it. This is not a problem since I leave from home and work at pretty much the same time every day.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sounds good!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I've seen plugs for block heaters in Canadian parking lots. Do people charge off those or just keep their cars from freezing solid?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They're mostly used to avoid freeze-up, but I know some people who charge off them in some places (like work parking lots).

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
http://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-model-3-behind-the-scenes/

Motor Trend got themselves a photo shoot of the Model 3 prototype at the Gigafactory. Their photos don't really show us anything new, but what was interesting is that they had been forbidden to photograph any part of the interior, or to open either trunk (on the grounds that it's not a finished product).

It seems safe to assume that the barebones interior with the tacked-on-looking touch screen is in fact just a placeholder. Hopefully this also means that the minuscule trunk is also just a placeholder.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Given that the guys giving rides at the launch event said that the screen design & placement is the final intention, I don't think that's a safe assumption. They will be revealing the rest at their part two reveal, whenever that is (much closer to launch).
Also they were touting the headroom from that full-glass canopy at the back - the reason it's not a hatch-back - but I think there might have been some talk that that's an option? In which case a hardback might not be entirely out of the question (but I assume it's unlikely).

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey Y'all,

I've been thinking about something quite a bit, so I wanted to pass it by the thread and see what you guys think.

So I've had an E-Golf for about a year now. It's an amazing car, sans the low range. Having it for commutes has literally changed my life; it's so fun to drive that it makes the commute bearable, which is saying a LOT.

Here's the issue: I feel that having an electric car has made me an rear end in a top hat driver, and it worries me for the future of driving.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not sporting Tesla power, but my commute is 45 minutes of mountain roads, meaning that the E-Golf can just rip it up. An unfortunate side effect of driving electric is that every other car feels like it's covered in molasses.

As a direct result of having the electric car, my incidences of passing went WAY up (on single lane roads) because you can just smoke someone going too slow for your liking. I even take pleasure in loving with people who don't get the rules of the road; for instance, at a 4 way stop, if someone goes out of turn when it's my right of way, I like blasting straight up on their poo poo and before they even know it, you're right there, making it obvious that they hosed up.

Anyways this isn't about excusing my behavior- far from it, I think the car has brought out the worst in me, and I'm not proud of it. But it's important to understand that before getting this car, I was just a regular guy on his commute. Now looking back over the past year, it is clear that the car changed me, it changed how I drive, and not for the better (even if it is more fun).

So my question to the thread is this: do you think that electric cars, when they start gaining serious presence on the roadways, will lead to a more dangerous driving experience?

Personally I am straight up scared at putting electric cars in the hands of demographics that could never have one, like teenagers. Oh god, just imagine a teenager with an electric car.

Conversely, imagine a senile 85 year old with a Tesla.

Scary world we're heading into, and it makes me even more anxious for self-driving cars to make a serious entrance, because the roads ain't getting any safer if this amount of torque is going to get distributed to the masses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Taima posted:

Anyways this isn't about excusing my behavior- far from it, I think the car has brought out the worst in me, and I'm not proud of it. But it's important to understand that before getting this car, I was just a regular guy on his commute. Now looking back over the past year, it is clear that the car changed me, it changed how I drive, and not for the better (even if it is more fun).

So my question to the thread is this: do you think that electric cars, when they start gaining serious presence on the roadways, will lead to a more dangerous driving experience?

There's already cars that perform as well as your car that people already drive. Are certainly plenty of cars that need more attention to drive fast.
The problem is the driver, not the car.

e: am I to understand that the e-Golf has a godly 200 ft-lb of torque?

• Locked thread