Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Would appreciate some input, I haven't shopped for or put together a system in about 8 years, (which is still running) and its definitely time to upgrade.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Primarily Eve online and I'd like to be able to run 12-16 clients at low graphics pretty smoothly.

but also office work (heavy excel, some VBA) also R and hadoop, maybe other big data and analytics programs, Tableau

What's your budget? 1200 or so

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? Not really, still a student, but I'm learning to do big data analysis, but most of the programs are designed to be light and scale up through using commoditized machines, so I dont think i'll need to run some huge data set quickly
If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? N/A

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? I have 2 of Dell UltraSharp U2715H 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor which is 2560x1440 Pixels * 2

How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I'd say "it runs well" I dont mind tuning down the graphics in games for performance

So based on some advice i used his list and then decided to see what it would look like if i was willing to increase my budget by a couple hundred bucks and came up with this.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hbPbv

[PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hbPbv) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hbPbv/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80662i56500) | $194.99 @ SuperBiiz
**CPU Cooler** | [CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cryorig-cpu-cooler-m9i) | $19.99 @ Newegg
**Motherboard** | [ASRock H170M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h170mpro4) | $94.89 @ OutletPC
**Memory** | [G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f43200c16d32gvk) | $149.99 @ Newegg
**Storage** | [Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mzv5p256bw) | $181.95 @ SuperBiiz
**Video Card** | [MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming4g) | $324.99 @ B&H
**Case** | [Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcadefsbk) | $64.99 @ SuperBiiz
**Power Supply** | [EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-120g10650xr) | $69.99 @ NCIX US
| *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1121.78
| Mail-in rebates | -$20.00
| **Total** | **$1101.78**
| Generated by [PCPartPicker](http://pcpartpicker.com) 2016-04-13 09:38 EDT-0400

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

KingEup posted:

What country are you in?

- Australia

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?

- Playing DOTA2 only (can I get away with a 32GB mSATA SSD?)

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.

- AUD400-600

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?

- Monitor resolution is 1360x768 (it's a TV). It has to run DOTA2 on high.

Other needs:

- the case will be mounted to the back of the monitor so it needs to be vesa compatible and as small as possible.

I've been eyeing the AMD A10 7870K because that has really good intergrated graphic performance and means I don't have buy a dGPU and subsequently a bigger case. This is the case I have my eye on at the moment: http://www.mini-box.com.au/M350%20Universal%20Mini-ITX%20enclosure.html

Are there other options? NUCS that would outperform the A10 for less money?
According to this Intel 520 runs the game at low-medium at 1080, so I'd expect the i3 skylake NUC could probably run about half the pixels at high. I'm not sure it'd be cheaper, though - what does your A10 build look like?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

KingEup posted:

What country are you in?

- Australia

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?

- Playing DOTA2 only (can I get away with a 32GB mSATA SSD?)

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.

- AUD400-600

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?

- Monitor resolution is 1360x768 (it's a TV). It has to run DOTA2 on high.

Other needs:

- the case will be mounted to the back of the monitor so it needs to be vesa compatible and as small as possible.

I've been eyeing the AMD A10 7870K because that has really good intergrated graphic performance and means I don't have buy a dGPU and subsequently a bigger case. This is the case I have my eye on at the moment: http://www.mini-box.com.au/M350%20Universal%20Mini-ITX%20enclosure.html

Are there other options? NUCS that would outperform the A10 for less money?

The A10 7870K should run DOTA2 at high at that resolution quite well, I've seen benchmarks where the A10 7870K gets 35-45 FPS on high at 1080p in DOTA2 so at the much lower resolution of that TV it should run great.

I would go with a larger SSD just in case, the price difference is really quite small and if you ever need the extra space you will be wishing you spent $10-$15 AUD more in the first place.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The problem is that case says it's suitable for <= 65W TDP and that APU is a 95W part.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

MaxxBot posted:

The problem is that case says it's suitable for <= 65W TDP and that APU is a 95W part.

Hmmm, looking around and it appears you can replace it with a higher wattage picoPSU, the problem is that doing so is expensive. I guess Intel is the only option but I don't know if it will meet the requirements, though with that resolution I imagine it would be ok for the most part.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the a10-7800 should be a 65w part, the a8-7600 is as well but is slightly weaker

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 13, 2016

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Can someone help me map out the differences between the Fractal Design Define S, R5, and R5 blackout?

At a glance the S looks like an R5 without the drive cage; are there any other interesting feature differences between them? I don't need water cooling and I only have 3 SSDs, so I can work with either drive mount setup.

And I can't tell what's special about the Blackout... is it better sound proofing, or did they seriously just take out the white accents and charge ten more dollars?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 13, 2016

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Can someone help me map out the differences between the Fractal Design Define S, R5, and R5 blackout?

At a glance the S looks like an R5 without the drive cage; are there any other interesting feature differences between them? I don't need water cooling and I only have 3 SSDs, so I can work with either drive mount setup.

And I can't tell what's special about the Blackout... is it better sound proofing, or did they seriously just take out the white accents and charge ten more dollars?

Pretty much correct on all fronts. The HDD (and SSD's) go behind the motherboard tray on the "S" iirc and there is no cd-rom cage.

I ordered the regular R5 and they sent me the Blackout version, and yeah, fans and pci covers are black instead of white

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Yeah, the Blackout Edition was actually requested by people so they made it but charged extra, I think it's justifiable since it means a larger production line and such. The Define S has better air flow and watercooling support along with being cheaper but if you don't care about that stuff the R5 is perfectly fine.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Thanks dudes. I still have a DVD drive for some reason and I actually like the white accents, so R5 it is.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

offhand, i remember the define s only has two ssd mounts on the backside of the motherboard tray. i don't remember if there was another place you were meant to mount the 3rd ssd.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ernie. posted:

offhand, i remember the define s only has two ssd mounts on the backside of the motherboard tray. i don't remember if there was another place you were meant to mount the 3rd ssd.

Each of the 3 3.5" mounts can accept a 2.5" drive instead.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Edit: AVeryLargeRadish beat me to it

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
I need to build a few bare bones PC's for the office. Literally just chrome (I'll probably grab extra Ram for myself as I love having way too many tabs, but no one else will) and remote desktop into a server running Quickbooks and various low impact construction/design software.

I hope to post my tentative builds shortly for some bang/buck feedback, but I had a quick question; would a dual 29" ultra wide set up run efficiently off a motherboard, or would I be better off buying a cheap dedicated GPU?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Reggie Died posted:

I need to build a few bare bones PC's for the office. Literally just chrome (I'll probably grab extra Ram for myself as I love having way too many tabs, but no one else will) and remote desktop into a server running Quickbooks and various low impact construction/design software.

I hope to post my tentative builds shortly for some bang/buck feedback, but I had a quick question; would a dual 29" ultra wide set up run efficiently off a motherboard, or would I be better off buying a cheap dedicated GPU?

If you just mean for document/coding/web work, yeah it shouldn't have any problems. There are limitations associated with 4K@60Hz over HDMI and resolutions over 4K, but Haswell and newer integrated graphics can do 2560x1080 fine - maybe older than that can too, not sure.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Am I missing something or are people suggesting the i5 6600 (non k) over the i5 6500? For all of a 100 mhz speed increase you're spending 15-20% more for very little gain. Might as well get a k model and a aftermarket cooler if you're going to spend more.

Or is this a case of something I'm missing or bigger number syndrome?

biscuitbandit
Oct 19, 2004
I looked at builds others were suggesting in the thread, so is this a good build?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£199.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£26.49 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£104.72 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£72.99 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£113.90 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card (£529.92 @ More Computers)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case (£61.99 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£70.44 @ More Computers)
Monitor: Dell S2716DG 144Hz 27.0" Monitor (£403.19 @ PC World Business)
Total: £1583.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-14 09:55 BST+0100

And this is a better build?

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£274.67 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£26.49 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£104.72 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£72.99 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£113.90 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card (£617.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£80.28 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£70.44 @ More Computers)
Monitor: Dell S2716DG 144Hz 27.0" Monitor (£403.19 @ PC World Business)
Total: £1764.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-14 09:56 BST+0100

It looks as though the i5 build is better for overclocking, so I'm leaning towards that build and maybe a better video card with the money saved on the CPU.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
An i7 is generally a bit of a waste of money because it's only a few percent faster for $100 more. A 980 Ti is pretty drat expensive but if you have the money then why not... The enthusiast Pascal graphics cards will however probably come out first so it might be worth keeping your current graphics card for a few months until those come out though.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Jack Forge posted:

Am I missing something or are people suggesting the i5 6600 (non k) over the i5 6500? For all of a 100 mhz speed increase you're spending 15-20% more for very little gain. Might as well get a k model and a aftermarket cooler if you're going to spend more.

Or is this a case of something I'm missing or bigger number syndrome?

It turbos up to a total of 300 MHz more. It's a worse value than either the 6500 below it or the 6600K above it but not by as much as the base clock makes it look.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Mozi posted:

we built this city

we built this city on sand and piss

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Nonviolent J posted:

we built this city

we built this city on sand and piss

Sand: 48 lb. Leveling Sand ($3.44 / each @ Home Depot)
Piss: Pocket Sized Bottle ($38.94 @ Drurine)
Total: $42.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-14 16:13 CET+0100

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
how many levels will i gain from a 48 pound bag of leveling sand

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So is the OP instructional video on building still the best available? It told me to get rubbing alcohol but the first thing I found was isopropyl alcohol. I'm guessing that works because it even says it's for technical use.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Affi posted:

So is the OP instructional video on building still the best available? It told me to get rubbing alcohol but the first thing I found was isopropyl alcohol. I'm guessing that works because it even says it's for technical use.

That's two names for the same thing. Broadly speaking any strong alcohol should be OK, you just want a solvent that won't dissolve the things you want to keep (like acetone would) but isopropyl is cheap because you can't drink it and it's readily available. It also dries cleanly and doesn't leave residue.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 14, 2016

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
So I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on this. For Eve multiboxing, light other gaming and heavy excel/hadoop/R.

Any final notes I should take into consideration?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($181.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($324.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1076.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-14 14:46 EDT-0400

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ugh building is hard. And I'm terrified of breaking poo poo. But I just managed to install the motherboard and cpu without probably breaking something. Maybe?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Affi posted:

Ugh building is hard. And I'm terrified of breaking poo poo. But I just managed to install the motherboard and cpu without probably breaking something. Maybe?

Don't worry, as long as you insert the right pegs into the correct holes and are gentile with everything you will be fine. Their first time is scary for everyone but eventually you will learn to enjoy it. ;)

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I think I'm personally responsible for getting you to build it yourself so I hope it goes well!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Their first time is scary for everyone but eventually you will learn to enjoy it. ;)

Speak for yourself. I've done it twice now and helped two others do their firsts, and CPU install is still terrifying. Why does that closing that latch sound like I'm grinding it apart :ohdear:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the latch closing is the worst

It just feels like too much force !!!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Latch was fine but I loving touched the preapplied cooling paste. I smeared some but it still covered all of it.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

How does this build look? My brothers max budget is $1500.

I tried to talk him out of the i7 but he seems hell bent on keeping it.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($359.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($101.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($153.81 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.00 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($342.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($97.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($90.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($20.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($93.70 @ Amazon)
Total: $1440.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-14 17:11 EDT-0400

The only item im not really too sure on in the case. I needs good airflow and i cant stand working in cramped spaces so, since im building it, id like enough room to move around in and maybe try some real cable management this time. Im gonna try and push the i5-k some more since theres no reason he needs that i7.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

grimcreaper posted:

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($90.98 @ Newegg)

The only item im not really too sure on in the case. I needs good airflow and i cant stand working in cramped spaces so, since im building it, id like enough room to move around in and maybe try some real cable management this time. Im gonna try and push the i5-k some more since theres no reason he needs that i7.

Hmmm, it looks OK for the most part, I would go with a WD Blue 1TB HDD instead or a higher capacity Black but that is about it. And you should not need to worry about the case, the Enthoo Pro has plenty of room for cable management and such and is a pretty roomy case in general. Air flow is good but not as good as some of the cases that omit the 5 1/4" drive bays.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

grimcreaper posted:

Is this just for gaming? Tell him he could afford the 980Ti within his budget if he cut the fat off other parts of the build, including the i7 as you mentioned.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.77 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($653.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($71.49 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($85.49 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1438.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-14 17:40 EDT-0400

It just seems silly to me to spend $1500 on a gaming rig with only $300 of that going to the part that runs the games, but lots of people seem to do it :confused:.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 14, 2016

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hmmm, it looks OK for the most part, I would go with a WD Blue 1TB HDD instead or a higher capacity Black but that is about it. And you should not need to worry about the case, the Enthoo Pro has plenty of room for cable management and such and is a pretty roomy case in general. Air flow is good but not as good as some of the cases that omit the 5 1/4" drive bays.

Awesome, thanks.

Was just texting him. he wants the computer to last a good 5 or 6 years (not counting the video card, he knows he will need to upgrade that at least once in that time) and thats why hes pushing for the i7.
I can somewhat see the justification since hyperthreading might extend the life of the cpu a bit in that case as gaming requirements increase. Maybe.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

grimcreaper posted:

Awesome, thanks.

Was just texting him. he wants the computer to last a good 5 or 6 years (not counting the video card, he knows he will need to upgrade that at least once in that time) and thats why hes pushing for the i7.
I can somewhat see the justification since hyperthreading might extend the life of the cpu a bit in that case as gaming requirements increase. Maybe.

Well, DX12 is supposed to make it much easier to utilize more threads so it might be a good idea, though a better video card would probably be a better investment. But then again new cards are coming out in the next few months so if he will only use the card for a little while before dumping it for the new hotness then he would be better off spending less on the video card for now.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, DX12 is supposed to make it much easier to utilize more threads so it might be a good idea, though a better video card would probably be a better investment. But then again new cards are coming out in the next few months so if he will only use the card for a little while before dumping it for the new hotness then he would be better off spending less on the video card for now.

Hes only going to be gaming at 1080p. For now hes going to be using a TV but may go monitor down the road. I figured the 970 would work for 1080p for at least a couple of years with most things maxed and then he could upgrade to something a bit better later. the 980 seems a waste of cash right now and the 960 is barely better than than the gtx 760 im currently using. If im wrong, please correct me.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The 960 is not a very good value in general, also you want a 4GB card these days because games are demanding more and more VRAM as time goes on. The cheaper option would be an R9 380 like this, if you want something more powerful this 970 is a good choice. It sounds like you don't need a whole lot of power so the 380 is probably a better choice for you.

You pricked my pride so I got the 970.
Okay this is a very nice video card. Immediately the game jumped from stuttering if I turned my head to silky smooth everything. I was afraid I didn't have enough E-VGA power plugs but I had stuffed the 2nd cable up in the part of the case where the CD drives aren't anymore. Anyway... Forgot to remove AMD drivers before changing cards so got a black screen for my troubles. Had to google safe mode shortcut on my phone (F4) and fixed that. My old video card is absolutely caked in dust. Goddamn. I gave all the fans and filters a going over with a cloth and the last of the can of air. Then I vacuumed. I wish I took better care of the inside of my computer.

If I have no interest in overclocking can I avoid installing the OC scanner or whatever performance programs come with it, excepting the drivers?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm getting a new PC; is there a way to erase just windows off of my old harddrive so I can still use it? Or can I still have windows on it in my new pc also?

Hope that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

Is this just for gaming? Tell him he could afford the 980Ti within his budget if he cut the fat off other parts of the build, including the i7 as you mentioned.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.77 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($653.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($71.49 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($85.49 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1438.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-14 17:40 EDT-0400

It just seems silly to me to spend $1500 on a gaming rig with only $300 of that going to the part that runs the games, but lots of people seem to do it :confused:.

i apologize, i completely missed your post! thanks for that part list! might use that one myself.

• Locked thread