Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

walropodes posted:

What do you think of your XPS vs your rMBP? That's pretty much the two laptops I'm deciding between getting

Both are fantastic, top-tier machines. I have the top config'd XPS 15 w/4k display. This a fact: the 4k touch, 100% rgb panel Dell uses handily smokes the rMBP's panel. The XPS hardware itself is great, trackpad is as good as it gets for a non Mac. Overall the XPS is a well rounded machine and I really like it over the rMBP. The internet is filled with horror stories about this thing self-destructing (bricked blue screen, up and dying randomly, etc) but I'm pretty sure I got a good unit. Zero issues after I did a clean Win10 install and slowly updated Dell's drivers (using the beta Intel graphic drivers and updated Nvidia ones). Smooth sailing so far. Battery isn't stellar at around 5 hrs, but I'm not one of those "I need a 48 hr battery full stop" kind of people. I don't know, there's always a plug around. If not, I'm probably hiking or something and, well, don't need a laptop. YMMV.

The rMBP - you probably already know how great it is. Works perfectly, never has issues and the screen is good enough. It's not 4k infinity good though, full stop. On it's own the rMBP is phenomenal, but beside the Dell, I changed my opinion real quick.

I guess it comes down to what OS you want. If it's Windows 10, the 4k XPS runs laps around anything else. If it's OSX, the 15" rMBP runs laps around anything else.

Pick your poison. I have zero regrets personally. The XPS may up and kick the bucket an hour from now (if the internet is to be taken literally). Guess that's the risk I'm taking, but so far it's running very well. It munches up anything I throw at it with extreme ease. And it's easily upgradeable.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

anothergod posted:

Has anyone done surgery on X230s or Lenovo products in general? I have a problem where my box's insides don't match its outsides so physical stuff doesn't work (power button and power cord connection ---- I've been using a dock to solve this) but everything else is still fine and dandy.

Full disclosure: I once found the page on Lenovo's site to buy replacement physical cases, but since then I have yet to find it again and holy god is it scary to try to do. Prod me further and tell me it's doable or tell me to just find a Lenovo certified shop to have them fix it. Thanks.

They are extremely serviceable- to the point where most screw holes are marked with what component that screw holds in, most screws are the same size/thread/length, and they're all #1 Phillips head. A 10 year old can reliably R&R just about any component in a Lenovo laptop from that era.
Try to find whatever bits you need on eBay though, or pick up a non-booter from CL/eBay and strip whatever parts off that one. OEM replacement parts are pretty pricey.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 14, 2016

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
One thing I like about my work T430 is the number of liquid drip holes on the bottom like they thought people were gonna shower with the drat thing :haw:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

priznat posted:

One thing I like about my work T430 is the number of liquid drip holes on the bottom like they thought people were gonna shower with the drat thing :haw:

The keyboard can hold up to half a liter of liquid, so the palmrest can be used as a place to put your cup of coffee :haw:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
I wish the X32 had that too, my dad spilled a glass of wine on it when I lent it to him :rip:

Tommychu posted:

They are extremely serviceable- to the point where most screw holes are marked with what component that screw holds in, most screws are the same size/thread/length, and they're all #1 Phillips head. A 10 year old can reliably R&R just about any component in a Lenovo laptop from that era.
Try to find whatever bits you need on eBay though, or pick up a non-booter from CL/eBay and strip whatever parts off that one. OEM replacement parts are pretty pricey.

Yep. Check the Lenvo service manual for the exact Field Replacement Unit (FRU) number that you need and then ebay for that poo poo.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

toe knee hand posted:

Please help me buy a new laptop, goons.

I have a 4 year old Acer Aspire with an Intel Core i5-3210M, 8GB RAM and 500GB HDD.

Honestly, the performance is fine, I don't need more than this. I've had no problems with it until now: the case is breaking. I'd love to patch it up with some duct tape and go on living my life but I don't think that would work. It's also been starting to overheat more often.

So I'm looking for a new laptop. I'm in Canada, I want a 14-16" screen, I want at least 8GB RAM and 500GB HDD and I want CPU performance that is not worse than what I have. I'd like to pay under $600 CAD.

I've had bad experiences with Lenovos so those are not an option. I wouldn't mind getting another Acer Aspire.

Any recommendations?

The best deals I've been able to find are on the Microsoft Store:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Acer-Aspire-F-15-F5-571T-569T-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.329219500

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Acer-Aspire-V-15-Nitro-VN7-572TG-775T-Signature-Edition-Gaming-Laptop/productID.831700000 (out of my price range but it looks kinda amazing?)

Suggestions?

Your laptop is falling apart, you need something with better build quality....you're ruling out Lenovo and considering another Acer? :psyduck:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wickerman posted:

Is there any reason why T440p laptops should be under 500 used? Aren't they literally last year's model?

Wht are the specs on it?

The cheapest T-series is going to have the i3, 4GB, 500GB spinner, 1366x768 screen....

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Is there an ultra book ish form factor laptop with a 35w/45w TDP processor? The XPS 15 is a bit large for me screen size; I'd like something around 13 inches.

Currently I'm using a laptop with an i5-5200U processor and I've been unimpressed with its computing performance.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RoyalScion posted:

Is there an ultra book ish form factor laptop with a 35w/45w TDP processor? The XPS 15 is a bit large for me screen size; I'd like something around 13 inches.

Currently I'm using a laptop with an i5-5200U processor and I've been unimpressed with its computing performance.
It's quite possible that 13" chassis aren't able to dissipate 35W from the CPU, and even if it's physically possible, there aren't any products in 2016 that will since 13" = ultrabook.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Your laptop is falling apart, you need something with better build quality....you're ruling out Lenovo and considering another Acer? :psyduck:

I had two Lenovo power supplies break on me within 8 months of buying one and they wouldn't replace it the second time, so yea, Lenovo is not an option.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
you either bought poo poo non-Thinkpad Lenovos or you're a giant retard with electronics and don't take care of them so it doesn't matter either way

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How do you even break a Lenovo power supply. I have like half a dozen of them all over the place including from the T60 era and there's no sign of wear on any of them.

LG has a cool new 980 gram 15.6" notebook out. Not something I'd want now but pretty drat impressive and has the fancy Infinity-edge thing display:

Actually seems to be surprisingly good overall too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdiAraeA_8k

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

go3 posted:

you either bought poo poo non-Thinkpad Lenovos or you're a giant retard with electronics and don't take care of them so it doesn't matter either way

This is the correct answer

My experience with lenovo power bricks is that they're indestructible. Mine has traveled around in a sack on my back around the world (across the equator, prime meridian and int'l date line), it just loving works. You have to be particularly awful to your equipment to break it.

My buddy gifted me his old T400 and it's ~85w supply, the laptop is useless but the power supply been with me for three years now getting kicked around daily, sitting next to my nightstand. It's 8 years old at this point.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Hey guys,

My father is looking for another laptop to replace his 6 year old one. I don't know the first thing about laptops.

1. Under or around ~$650
2. ~15" screen
3. Web browsing, email, and Netflix/Hulu/YouTube
4. Doesn't need a CD drive
5. Windows 10, preferably

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Refurbished T550 should be about that price off of ebay. Look for any seller with a 99.5% rating or higher.

edit: like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...ssAAOSwrklVTnX5

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hadlock posted:

Refurbished T550 should be about that price off of ebay. Look for any seller with a 99.5% rating or higher.

edit: like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...ssAAOSwrklVTnX5

15.6" 1366 x 768

:smith:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Hey guys,

My father

Bob Morales posted:

15.6" 1366 x 768

:smith:

Perfect!

:corsair:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

mobby_6kl posted:

How do you even break a Lenovo power supply. I have like half a dozen of them all over the place including from the T60 era and there's no sign of wear on any of them.

LG has a cool new 980 gram 15.6" notebook out. Not something I'd want now but pretty drat impressive and has the fancy Infinity-edge thing display:

Actually seems to be surprisingly good overall too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdiAraeA_8k

Ok....

A centered trackpad in conjunction with a numpad keyboard? If you're going to do a thin bezel display, get rid of the numpad.

I've tried a 14 inch Gram once and while yeah the lightness is nice, body panels depressed with even the slightest pressure. I'm not sold on that lack of structural integrity. She's going on about how its half the weight of an XPS 15 but that's because the XPS 15 is (potentially) twice the horsepower and obviously far, far more than that once the dedicated graphics stretches its legs. And speaking of graphics, you've got single channel memory crippling that even further.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not gonna lie, post said "my father" and as a result I didn't even bother looking at the resolution. Anyone over 40 buying a 15" laptop isn't going to give a drat about the resolution.

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan

Hadlock posted:

Not gonna lie, post said "my father" and as a result I didn't even bother looking at the resolution. Anyone over 40 buying a 15" laptop isn't going to give a drat about the resolution.

Counterpoint: I'm over 40 and I care about the screen resolution of my laptops.

Though I do increase font scaling on 14" 1080p. Dammit, get off my lawn

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

rebuttalpoint: I'm in my mid-30s and am on the verge of needing reading glasses, my next laptop is still going to be a 12.5-13.3" class laptop with a 1080p or better display

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My work latpop is a Dell E6440 with a 1080" screen, it's too small at 100% scaling and too big at 125% :(

Also gently caress Windows (7) scaling

i run my 13" rMBP at a simulated 1440x900 but could almost get away with 1680x1050

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Hadlock posted:

rebuttalpoint: I'm in my mid-30s and am on the verge of needing reading glasses, my next laptop is still going to be a 12.5-13.3" class laptop with a 1080p or better display

Get them now. Reading glasses are magical devices that turn a 12.5" 1080p screen into a farther-away 17" 1080p screen.

deathrat
May 25, 2010
I'm looking for something to do coding on that won't be hugely painful while compiling, here's some of the things I'm looking for:

• $600 budget, although maybe also a $500 option to compare it to
  • 13-15" screen, preferably 1080p at least.
  • No need for optical drive
  • Windows 8/10
  • At least 8gb preferable, not needed if I can upgrade though.
  • Refurbished/Used is fine.

Help is much appreciated!

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
What would be causing extremely poor wifi range on a new laptop? Sitting anywhere further than 15 ft from the router results in a super weak connection. Sitting in another room cuts it out completely. Is this a poor adapter or antenna or a driver issue? Other wireless devices seem to work fine on the same router so I don't think that's the issue.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

deathrat posted:

I'm looking for something to do coding on that won't be hugely painful while compiling, here's some of the things I'm looking for:

• $600 budget, although maybe also a $500 option to compare it to
  • 13-15" screen, preferably 1080p at least.
  • No need for optical drive
  • Windows 8/10
  • At least 8gb preferable, not needed if I can upgrade though.
  • Refurbished/Used is fine.

Help is much appreciated!

What are you using to compile now, and how long does it take? $600 isn't a lot to work with. If you don't care about build quality or portability then there are dubious opportunities to get a high-end processor inside of your budget with enough left over to maybe get an SSD.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Betty posted:

What would be causing extremely poor wifi range on a new laptop? Sitting anywhere further than 15 ft from the router results in a super weak connection. Sitting in another room cuts it out completely. Is this a poor adapter or antenna or a driver issue? Other wireless devices seem to work fine on the same router so I don't think that's the issue.

It could be a battery saver mode somewhere. On my old Lenovo Thinkpad there was a way to put the wifi into a low power mode.

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
Checked that, put it in max performance mode

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Betty posted:

Try checking if the driver's up to date. Alternatively, what class of wireless is it? If it's b/g and your laptop only likes n, there will be issues.

deathrat
May 25, 2010

ItBurns posted:

What are you using to compile now, and how long does it take? $600 isn't a lot to work with. If you don't care about build quality or portability then there are dubious opportunities to get a high-end processor inside of your budget with enough left over to maybe get an SSD.

Right now I'm doing a 2D game in C# with Visual Studio, so it's not THAT crazy. I'm compiling that on my desktop, which has an i5-4670k@4GHz, and that compiles pretty quickly(rebuild takes ~1-2 minutes or so). Although, I could probably stand a decent i5 or something. If I had to, I could always remote-in to my desktop and use it as a build server for testing purposes. I guess my main thing is making sure I can actually run VS/other IDEs without too much headache.

An SSD would be nice, but I'm not opposed to doing without one to begin with and just picking one up later in the future. Honestly, that HP looks like it MAY be workable, but then again...it's HP(Every HP I've had has had heating issues, and the battery or power-cord has had major issues).

deathrat fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 16, 2016

Betty
Apr 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try checking if the driver's up to date. Alternatively, what class of wireless is it? If it's b/g and your laptop only likes n, there will be issues.

All drivers are up to date and it's n class wireless which should be compatible with the laptop. The adapter is an intel dual band wireless-ac 3165 which seems to have issues but no one can figure out why. It just seems like to me that if the issue has to do with proximity to the router then it seems like the antenna isn't performing? Maybe a design flaw the manufacturer isn't willing to admit yet?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Recommendation request:

I'm currently rocking a Lenovo Z580, but tax refund time is upon us, so it's time to upgrade (and hand down the current computer to my partner, and turn his current previous-to-mine-gen lappy into a headless media server).

Budget: No higher than $1100 (because that's the amount of the interest-free loan I gave the US government and it's getting paid back in a few weeks), but I'd prefer cheaper.

Use: luggable desktop replacement. I'm basically a traveling salesman, so I want to take my computer with me on the road, but it just sits on a desk plugged into the wall at home and in the hotel; I don't need it to be ultraportable or have amazing battery life -- I have a smartphone and EEEPC for that -- just fit in my suitcase. I've considered building a desktop with monitor in a briefcase, but laptops now are so good and cheap it's probably not worth the effort. Moderate gaming (I'd like to play Fallout 4). Monitor resolution isn't that big a deal, I'm Stockholm-syndromed to accept 1366x768 and use a 19" external at home.

Nice to have but likely impossible given the above: I'd rather have the ol' Lenovo nipple instead of a touchpad. I use a wireless real mouse exclusively, but that .5% of the time I need the built-in, I hate the touchpad.

This looks good, but I'd like to hear y'alls opinion.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 16, 2016

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
That link goes to a camera lens, prolly wanna edit it the real one in!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

foutre posted:

That link goes to a camera lens, prolly wanna edit it the real one in!

I proofread gud. :downs:

Fixed, and I even clicked on it to make sure this time..

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

RoyalScion posted:

It looks like someone bought Sony's laptop business and is putting out 13 inch 2.6 lb vaios with 28 watt skylake parts. I have no idea how it handles the heat, but I'm severely tempted to get one myself 'cause they're the parts with the good graphics and edram cache. Starts at $1500, but I'm definitely drooling over them.

rojazz
Feb 7, 2001
Forum Veteran
Best Buy is currently doing $300 off the 12" Retina Macbooks, likely due to a very soon to come refresh. Is it worth getting the 8gb/512gb model for $1299? I should I hold out for the Skylake model? Due to the lack of upgradability, I thinking that the model with a 512gb SSD is quite a deal. They're also selling the 8gb/256gb for $999, which is also very enticing. Recommendations?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No, it's a 1st gen product and it's really slow.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

What's your guys' opinions on used vs refurbished? I'm looking to buy a budget laptop for netflix and light gaming (mmos, hearthstone, gba emulator). Eyeing the Lenovo T420 thinkpad that Newegg has used for $200 shipped, but they also have some $160 refurbished. Thoughts?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

rizuhbull posted:

What's your guys' opinions on used vs refurbished? I'm looking to buy a budget laptop for netflix and light gaming (mmos, hearthstone, gba emulator). Eyeing the Lenovo T420 thinkpad that Newegg has used for $200 shipped, but they also have some $160 refurbished. Thoughts?

At that price point you don't really have much of a choice. The only options, aside from other used computers, would be cheap devices like the HP Stream or chromebooks, which aren't going to be as capable. The screens and battery life on older (and some newer) Thinkpads are generally awful though, so bear that in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think the question was specifically "used vs refurbished". Hard to say as the difference would depend on how exactly they define both categories. What I usually imagine by used is that somebody finished using it and is selling as-is. Refurbished would generally involve some minor maintenance and cleanup, in the physical sense. The refurbished T520 I got basically looked like new except for some wear on the keyboard.

All else being equal, I'd go with refub, especially since it's even cheaper.

This generation also has pretty decent battery life. Not as good as a brand new ultrabook with 15W CPU of course, but easily around 5 hours on the standard 6-cell under general use and 8 or so with the 9-cell. The 1080p screen on the T520 is pretty drat nice but otherwise yeah, even the high-res one on the 420 isn't too good, though perfectly adequate for office type of work.