Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

from: http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/142697166033/is-it-okay-to-call-a-judge-on-someone-whos-using

quote:

sequentialsmart asked: Is it okay to call a judge on someone who's using offensive language but that's not directed at someone in particular, like saying "that card is gay" or "his deck raped my deck in the last round?"

magicjudge:

Yes. Absolutely. Please do.

The player is contributing to a toxic and unwelcoming environment and that behaviour is not acceptable.

How likely is this to be enforced? I don't have much faith in anyone actually calling out such things, especially if the culture and environment in the LGS already supports it. What's the penalty for it anyway? Unsportsmanlike conduct minor/major?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Chill la Chill posted:

from: http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/142697166033/is-it-okay-to-call-a-judge-on-someone-whos-using

How likely is this to be enforced? I don't have much faith in anyone actually calling out such things, especially if the culture and environment in the LGS already supports it. What's the penalty for it anyway? Unsportsmanlike conduct minor/major?
It seems much more likely to come up at Regular REL, and the penalty is "please don't do that" followed by "please leave the store" if they persist.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Can someone w/premium SCG post Tom Ross's Mono Red decklist from yesterday's article?

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/32752_The-Boss-VS-Brad-.html#comments

I wanna see how it differs from Kent Ketters who I don't think updated his deck since SOI was released.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Can someone w/premium SCG post Tom Ross's Mono Red decklist from yesterday's article?

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/32752_The-Boss-VS-Brad-.html#comments

I wanna see how it differs from Kent Ketters who I don't think updated his deck since SOI was released.

Creatures (26)

4 Hangarback Walker
4 Hedron Crawler
4 Reality Smasher
4 Thopter Engineer
3 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Vile Aggregate
3 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
Planeswalkers (3)

3 Chandra, Flamecaller
Lands (26)

12 Mountain
1 Battlefield Forge
4 Foundry of the Consuls
1 Rogue's Passage
3 Ruins of Oran-Rief
4 Shivan Reef
1 Westvale Abbey
Spells (5)

2 Outnumber
2 Spatial Contortion
1 Warping Wail
Sideboard

2 Eldrazi Obligator
1 Endbringer
2 Goldnight Castigator
1 Thought-Knot Seer
2 Dual Shot
3 Rending Volley
3 Warping Wail
1 Chandra, Flamecaller

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
^^^
Red Eldrazi feels underpowered in the current format to me.

So I had 6 bucks that I didn't need so I bought some of those "proxys" that was supposedly so great off of a popular website. These cards don't feel real AT ALL.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mr. Jive posted:

What are Kor anyway? Cat people? Elves? Nahiri doesn't look like any of those. She looks like a plain old lady.

Albinos with no fear of heights.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Man I'm super sad that the legacy GP is finally in range for me to go to, but is run by PES :(

If it was in driving distance I might risk it but I'm not flying to a PES event

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

^^^

So I had 6 bucks that I didn't need so I bought some of those "proxys" that was supposedly so great off of a popular website. These cards don't feel real AT ALL.

You sure they weren't counterfeit?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

Creatures (26)

4 Hangarback Walker
4 Hedron Crawler
4 Reality Smasher
4 Thopter Engineer
3 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Vile Aggregate
3 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
Planeswalkers (3)

3 Chandra, Flamecaller
Lands (26)

12 Mountain
1 Battlefield Forge
4 Foundry of the Consuls
1 Rogue's Passage
3 Ruins of Oran-Rief
4 Shivan Reef
1 Westvale Abbey
Spells (5)

2 Outnumber
2 Spatial Contortion
1 Warping Wail
Sideboard

2 Eldrazi Obligator
1 Endbringer
2 Goldnight Castigator
1 Thought-Knot Seer
2 Dual Shot
3 Rending Volley
3 Warping Wail
1 Chandra, Flamecaller

Ew, I hate this

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

standard.deviant posted:

It seems much more likely to come up at Regular REL, and the penalty is "please don't do that" followed by "please leave the store" if they persist.

This is correct.

In addition, the two examples given I would flag up with the persons saying them, but if there's casual swearing, I base it on if there are kids in the store, as there generally isn't.
Hell, I swear when I get the "Draw 12 lands and 10 non-lands in a game" bad beats, but I know that if there's someone in store, regardless of if they're playing or not, that it's not appropriate.
We also agreed this with the store manager, as she is of similar mind.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

^^^

Do they look okay in a sleeve?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I hate SCG. I'm watching the open from last weekend and I see they have named them Shadowlands. So just like Battlelands it's a stupid unimaginative name like their deck names.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Do they look okay in a sleeve?

If you double sleeve them and aren't looking for fakes they could probably pass. Anything else and they are pretty obvious.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I hate SCG. I'm watching the open from last weekend and I see they have named them Shadowlands. So just like Battlelands it's a stupid unimaginative name like their deck names.

How are they not handlands?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Chill la Chill posted:

This is classic USC minor and would get first a talking-to from me, then a warning, then it becomes USC major and a game loss.

Theoretically I can give the warning the second I hear anything but in practice it's better to just verbally caution the player first and explain why that's wrong, since it's more likely to lead to the outcome we want (that person changing their behavior and the environment as a whole becoming more welcoming).

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

i will always call tangolands by their proper name and handlands the same.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Man I'm super sad that the legacy GP is finally in range for me to go to, but is run by PES :(

If it was in driving distance I might risk it but I'm not flying to a PES event

It's like 2 hours away from me and I'm skipping it. After the train wreck that was Pittsburgh I'm not going to anything they run. Maybe I'll go to look for some sweet deals or sell some stuff but I'm not playing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just got my ticket for GPS Manchester, anyone else going? The mat looks decent, Avacyn's Judgement. Sounds like it's selling fast.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Not quite as bad since if you want them untapped you have to cast a shadow with the card in your hand

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just got my ticket for GPS Manchester, anyone else going? The mat looks decent, Avacyn's Judgement. Sounds like it's selling fast.

I'm going with like 10 other people, the events are up on the Mind Sports International twitter page.

E: How/Why the hell has Imp's Mischief suddenly spiked to a $5 card? I mean it's cute with Ancestral Visions, but really magic players? What the gently caress.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Samael posted:

I'm going with like 10 other people, the events are up on the Mind Sports International twitter page.

E: How/Why the hell has Imp's Mischief suddenly spiked to a $5 card? I mean it's cute with Ancestral Visions, but really magic players? What the gently caress.
#MTGFinance is a hell of a drug.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

sarmhan posted:

#MTGFinance is a hell of a drug.

The only way to escape mtgfinance is to not play mtg at this point.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Samael posted:

Maybe it's cute anti-Declaration in Stone tech?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Ancestral was unbanned guys.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I guess it's the best answer to ancestral if you're playing a junk deck?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zoness posted:

I guess it's the best answer to ancestral if you're playing a junk deck?

The best answer to ancestral is to beat them before it gets cast.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
It has a bunch of relevant interactions which may point to it being a one of main or side sort of like shadow of doubt.

Turning a bolt from my face to their swiftspear/goblin guide is a two for 1 and 1 damage, swerving a kicked vines of something vs. Infect that probably feels good. Turning thoughtseize against Jund/junk is probably good too. Moving a boggles enchant to your guy, swerving abrupt decays back into their guys, etc.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I bought my first deckbuilder's kit.

Help I know I'm making a terrible decision yet am powerless to stop myself.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I bought my first deckbuilder's kit.

Help I know I'm making a terrible decision yet am powerless to stop myself.

Buy individual cards.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Wait, toolkit was a mistake? drat it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

xanthan posted:

Wait, toolkit was a mistake? drat it.

I don't mean the toolkit.

I mean Magic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I don't mean the toolkit.

I mean Magic.

Both are true.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

NofrikinfuN posted:

I'll give you interesting, but being on the receiving end of things like infect, annihilator, Elesh Norn and Emrakul as a casual budget player kind of soured me on them. I'm the guy that tried to make Battle Cry work without being able to afford Hero of Bladehold. I'm sure they did great things for competitive play, but they were totally not my bag.

Since you were talking about story stuff I assumed you were judging the planes on their stories and flavour. Annihilator was kinda feel bad and so was infect, and like Phrexian mana is cool and powerful but ultimately a mistake. There's mechanical mistakes to all manner of sets.

Still OG Mirrodin broke magic in half for the second time in its existence with Affinity/Ravager, but it was a cool set flavour wise. Its corruption and the return of Phrexia is still one of the best stories in Magic (which isn't saying alot I know) especially compared to Mirrodin's original story (versus its cool flavour).

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Anyone ever buy/sell on cardshark? I remember it being the go to site during RAV block but it seems that tcgplayer has eclipsed it

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Most of the tickets are still available, so I'm trying to hold off till payday, but me and my gf are going, and if I get off my but and write some judge reviews, I might try and sit the L2 exam.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I still need to figure out if I can get time off for GP Toronto dangit.

Restaurant work means I usually don't have free weekends, but I've tried booking it off.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

mehall posted:

Most of the tickets are still available, so I'm trying to hold off till payday, but me and my gf are going, and if I get off my but and write some judge reviews, I might try and sit the L2 exam.

I'll be travelling up too but it may depend on work. A coworker has booked the month off so it's going to be all hands on deck currently.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

This is what I have decided on this weekend.

http://deck.tk/8wHi0BtL

I kind of dislike that avancyn dies to lanquish, but a lot of playtesting it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Tokens + avancyn and avancyn being an extra creature removal is pretty insane. Forcing your opponent to play around her seems to put the deck in a place it wants to be. This deck shits on all the aggressive decks from the weekend. The midrange matchups also seem to be pretty lopsided. Wouldn't be too surprised to see a lot of this this weekend for the invitational.

It also seems strange the decend upon the sinful also playtested really well with this deck. If I was more confident I wasn't going to see any ojutai's this weekend it would have replaced the planars out of the board with it. Dead weight and a few evloving wilds makes this card pretty busted in the current meta. In certain matchups it was a stonger finisher than Sorin. Just didn't get enough time in before this weekend though.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 14, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone playing the invitational this weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Sickening posted:

This is what I have decided on this weekend.

http://deck.tk/8wHi0BtL

I kind of dislike that avancyn dies to lanquish, but a lot of playtesting it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Tokens + avancyn and avancyn being an extra creature removal is pretty insane. Forcing your opponent to play around her seems to put the deck in a place it wants to be. This deck shits on all the aggressive decks from the weekend. The midrange matchups also seem to be pretty lopsided. Wouldn't be too surprised to see a lot of this this weekend for the invitational.

It also seems strange the decend upon the sinful also playtested really well with this deck. If I was more confident I wasn't going to see any ojutai's this weekend it would have replaced the planars out of the board with it. Dead weight and a few evloving wilds makes this card pretty busted in the current meta. In certain matchups it was a stonger finisher than Sorin. Just didn't get enough time in before this weekend though.

I think I'd maybe want a way to fit in one more Anguished Unmaking to deal with enchantments/planeswalkers neatly.

• Locked thread