Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

LLSix posted:

Electric miners can access everything in a 5x5 area around them, i.e. everything under the miner and all adjacent tiles.

Yup, the whole green(?) outline that you see when you place it will be mined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

boo_radley posted:

The kind who washes his hands thirty times before touching each doorknob in the house, Jesus. Getting a basic blue circuit line is enough of a pain in the rear end as it is.

When you've got a thousand hours in Factorio and can set up blue circuits in your sleep, you may feel differently.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

boo_radley posted:

The kind who washes his hands thirty times before touching each doorknob in the house, Jesus. Getting a basic blue circuit line is enough of a pain in the rear end as it is.

the higher tier boards are easier to get going at a good production rate than vanilla, imo.

base -> circuit board -> finished board

each tier has it's own base. and past the "green circuit" the recipe for the circuit is [base + copper + tin + ferric fluid]

the finished board is that plus components and solder. each tier needs the lower tier components plus the component for that tier.

as you reach the next tech level, just extend the solder/copper+tin/components belts past the old assembly line into the new one. Just add the new things somewhere in between.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

so, i've just gotten blue science going, the design is similar to my red/green one posted earlier. But this current playthrough/play-style is just no longer fun. The no-handcrafting rule just means more running around gathering what I need, or fiddling with assemblers to make it. The giant loop of train track around my base was just badly implemented. And the lack of most intermediates on belts made every segment a puzzle to figure out. I spent far too long getting blue science sorted when I could have just plopped down some bits and fed them stuff.

I'll post pics later but right now I'm just over it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
We finished our 2nd MP Bobs game and I've got 3 or 4 solo ones going or finished. The complexity is nice but there are so many raw materials in it, some of which are only used once or twice but you need to keep a supply on hand to make upgraded versions or you keep making a ton of it to use a by product somewhere else. The modules are terrible though, they completely gently caress the game up. Even if you don't use or comment out god modules, the tier 8 things are stupid anyway and the higher tier buildings let you use way too many. The alien research I'm still on the fence with. It's nice to have a reason to go out killing biters but then again, the combat is bloody tedious so maybe not.

To give you an idea how broken god modules make things: at the end of our game we were making the top end personal stuff for power armour. Plonk down an assembler 5 or 6 (I forget which) and stick 5 god module 5s in it. Put in ingredients for 1 fusion reactor and it builds you 4 - 300% production. No pollution, a wet fart as energy input and done before you can say 'christ that is stupid'. Of course, god module 5s take a lot to get up to and to build, but as soon as you have a handful, they go into the assemblers making god modules and bam, you're swimming in them.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Anyone have experience using the marathon mod + Bob's? I'm able to get it loading fine, but when I disable specific modules from Bob's, it no longer loads, and crashed the game. The thread on the official forums says you can use whatever activated mods you would like, but it still crashed for me. I figured I'd ask here before posting in the official thread.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Is there a way to automate the alien materials for purple science because I just got to this tech level for the first time and can't fathom why this game about automating logistics turn into a game about running around and shooting aliens.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Is there a way to automate the alien materials for purple science because I just got to this tech level for the first time and can't fathom why this game about automating logistics turn into a game about running around and shooting aliens.

If you mean robot armies harvesting purple poo poo, no, not yet. There is at least one mod working on it though.

Garfu posted:

Anyone have experience using the marathon mod + Bob's? I'm able to get it loading fine, but when I disable specific modules from Bob's, it no longer loads, and crashed the game. The thread on the official forums says you can use whatever activated mods you would like, but it still crashed for me. I figured I'd ask here before posting in the official thread.

No personal experience no (not quite masochistic enough for that yet) but the author of science cost tweaker is running a marathon bobs game with his stuff hacked in. If you ask in his SCT thread I'm sure he'd help.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I can think of a way to automate the processing of alien materials, you just still gotta go out there and kill the hives yourself. Put it in your logistics junk slot, have your logistics system set up to send it to a chest that sends it to an assembler that turns it into purple science, put that on a track going past your research labs, done.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

There's the alien science mod. Makes purple and alien artifacts constructible.

I only know this because I've been watching Arumba's stream. Here's the mods he's using, alien science is in there.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzju1DpQRq04Z2NTNW5Zdi04Vnc/view

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I just console myself 3000 alien artifacts :frogbon:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You don't really need very many artifacts.

Each artifact makes ten science packs, and you start by researching better productivity modules to put in your purple science machine.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Dr. Stab posted:

Each artifact makes ten science packs, and you start by researching better productivity modules to put in your purple science machine.
Actually you start by attempt to handcraft power armour 2, immediately regretting your mistake when you realize how long it'll take to handcraft 15 level 3 modules, run out to the middle of a field somewhere and set up a ghetto as gently caress module1->module2->module3 assembler patch, hook it up to a requester chest, gently caress up the requester amounts so that you end up with too many level 1s and not enough level 2s or 3s, and then notice its 2am and you have work in the morning
:smith:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I understand there are practical limits to what one would want to set up permanent fixtures for, but you've gone down a dark path if your goal following stable blue science production isn't starting a module factory.

Dr. Stab posted:

You don't need many artifacts, but the first artifacts are the most frustrating to go gather if you've sped to purple science without doing much biter gardening, or if you left RSO at default and need to take a trip to bumfuck to get more than 25.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I generally beeline *straight* for power armour 2/personal roboports. They just make the game more enjoyable.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

awesmoe posted:

I generally beeline *straight* for power armour 2/personal roboports. They just make the game more enjoyable.
Same, that's why I build those module factories.

e. Like you need shovels of blue circuits for modules, armor, and accessories. You need shovels of all the circuits for modules. So first order of business to become a power armor god is shore up your red and green to make shitloads of blue, and get modules cooking for that sweet sweet armor.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

zedprime posted:

Same, that's why I build those module factories.

e. Like you need shovels of blue circuits for modules, armor, and accessories. You need shovels of all the circuits for modules. So first order of business to become a power armor god is shore up your red and green to make shitloads of blue, and get modules cooking for that sweet sweet armor.
I would be a better person if I organized all of that stuff before going for power armour, but I'm not :(

I'm getting bored of my game the same place I always do, after finishing all the reasonable research but before bothering to build the rocket. Oh well. Guess it's time to play something else for a few months and then come crawling back when I get a craving for conveyor belts.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I restart at the point of the game, too. That or right before blue science. Maybe I just like setting up factories too much...

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
My and a buddy have been playing this multiplayer and really enjoying it. Its hilarious because my method of building is very much "thatll do" build it first then tweak it to decent efficiency then move on. He on the other hand is the kind who has to have everything set exactly right and square. So far he has followed behind me for three days and rebuilt everything I have done and Ive run him over with the tank twice. We are onto purple research and doing well so far. Great game. Pretty sure my friend wants to kill me though.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Im that guy. Tearing your poo poo up and rebuilding it because dammit it's not efficient and symmetric!

Also you've got an extra pole there.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Im that guy. Tearing your poo poo up and rebuilding it because dammit it's not efficient and symmetric!

Also you've got an extra pole there.

Ive started leaving small electric poles everywhere and using them exclusively, I think hes starting to get homicidal.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

i've played at least 500 hours and started at least 10 maps and i've just now noticed small electric poles have a fuel value...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its little details like that which make it cool that you have every option to use outdated stuff for something useful, but it still doesn't excuse the lack of a trash can that isn't shooting your gun into chests because actually tooling your fuel consumers to eat wood or power poles before you dip into coal or solid fuel is kind of a silly investment of time.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

zedprime posted:

Its little details like that which make it cool that you have every option to use outdated stuff for something useful, but it still doesn't excuse the lack of a trash can that isn't shooting your gun into chests because actually tooling your fuel consumers to eat wood or power poles before you dip into coal or solid fuel is kind of a silly investment of time.

Factorio is meant to be played with the mindset of those hoarders they make TV programs about. "And if you squeeze past the stack of old electric poles and turn left at the wobbly pile of burner inserters..."

I only found out about burning poles from watching a youtube video, the guy had nothing left on him and went 'ah well, just chuck these old poles in while I grab some more coal'.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think small poles having a fuel value is a somewhat new development, because I remember many versions ago I tried to burn my poles but I couldn't, and now you can. So I think they added that in secret at some point along the way in the past few years.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It sneaked in in 0.11 apparently so its been a while but excused as being relatively recently considering this game has been in development forever.

Friday facts mentions a smart limiter/templating UI on rail signals so you can't place them in spots that don't do anything or give malformed segments, which sounds great for winging rail intersections like I do.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

zedprime posted:

There's a mod that does this, unsurprisingly. It's pretty useful for making sure random bits of ore and poo poo don't end up in storage.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Testing an addition/complement to Flare Stack - the Incinerator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R5Lpbloi54

Sadly it can only be run on solid fuel, but it happily burns away any item you care to put in it. Haven't decided exactly on how to balance it, but currently destroys 2 items per second, with 10 items destroyed per coal burned (and ~32 per solid fuel cube). Produces 32 pollution, by way of comparison a boiler produces 6 and a stone furnace 1.8.

Is this mod interesting enough to be worth polishing and releasing?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Is there a mod for oil plants so that if light oil is full, it doesn't shut off production of the other two resources? Or maybe a tank that empties it's self when full. I have the void pipe mod but it sucks everything all the time rather than when the pipe network is at full capacity.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ak Gara posted:

Is there a mod for oil plants so that if light oil is full, it doesn't shut off production of the other two resources? Or maybe a tank that empties it's self when full. I have the void pipe mod but it sucks everything all the time rather than when the pipe network is at full capacity.

You can solve this yourself.

Stick a pump between the tanks and the void pipe. Use a red or green wire to attach it to the tank. Tell it to run only when the tank is close to full.

In general, the game is more fun if you come up with creative solutions to problems rather than just looking for a mod for everything.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If you have too much light or heavy oil you need to research advanced processing and get cracking (literally, the recipe to turn heavy to light and light to oil is called cracking).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If you don't have room for a tank and pump in your setup, you can use the overflow valve from Flow Control. It only allows flow when the input side pressure is above 80%.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm tempted to just go loving nuts and deconstruct everything in my base. It'd take a while to sort everything but it'd also reorganize it quite well. As it stands I don't have enough green chips (and not enough room in my current setup for more green chips, need to expand everything) and green chips are the thing holding me back on everything else.

At least I'm drowning in petroleum and used my trusty tank to blow the poo poo out of every enemy hive around me, so I don't have to deal with many attacks.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

How do storage tanks work? I have 15 in three rows, with them connected in such a way that it forms a continuous line, rather than them all being connected to each other. A small pump on each end pipes liquid from one row to the next. I was assuming this would force the "last" tank to have the most liquid (the output), but instead it is the "first" (the input) tank that has the most and the others fill at a glacial pace. What am I missing here?

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Nostrum posted:

How do storage tanks work? I have 15 in three rows, with them connected in such a way that it forms a continuous line, rather than them all being connected to each other. A small pump on each end pipes liquid from one row to the next. I was assuming this would force the "last" tank to have the most liquid (the output), but instead it is the "first" (the input) tank that has the most and the others fill at a glacial pace. What am I missing here?

what you're missing here is that small-pumps suck and pump at a glacial pace. What I would do is get the check valve mod and have a check valve next to a small pump. When there's lots of natural flow, the check valve will work fine. When there's no/reverse flow the small pump will do it's job and slowly but surely move fluids through.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Nostrum posted:

Flow speed is based on "pressure" difference between adjacent pipes/tanks. "Pressure" in Factorio actually means how full it the pipe or tank in question is. A pipe with 5 units or a tank with 1250 units are both at 50% pressure. The closer the pressure, the slower the flow rate, until at the same pressure there is no flow.

However, small pumps have a hard flow limit of 30 units per second, so one pump would take over 90 seconds to transfer almost the entire contents of one full tank to an empty one (it would be 83 seconds at max rate, but flow will tail off as the destination tank fills, and the last dregs may take minutes to transfer). You can get around this limitation by using pumps in parallel. Or the Flow Control mod's Express Pump.

Krysmphoenix posted:

what you're missing here is that small-pumps suck and pump at a glacial pace. What I would do is get the check valve mod and have a check valve next to a small pump. When there's lots of natural flow, the check valve will work fine. When there's no/reverse flow the small pump will do it's job and slowly but surely move fluids through.

FYI Check Valve is now Flow Control, as it's been combined with the non-slutty pipes mod and had overflow valves and express pumps added.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 16, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

FISHMANPET posted:

If you have too much light or heavy oil you need to research advanced processing and get cracking (literally, the recipe to turn heavy to light and light to oil is called cracking).
And then have fun trying to build up some useless poo poo you don't need just to drain the lubricant at a good rate.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

Just crack into petroleum or turn it into solid fuel. You can power your entire base with the byproduct of your plastic production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My multiplayer game is mainly just me desperately trying to keep up with power demands while my friends try out poo poo they've not tried before. Its completely vanilla, but I started us off in the middle of the desert and all the resources were under huge biter bases.

They complained at first, but now we've played for 15 hours I think they've actually had more fun with the challenge than without.