Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

He's the mercenary leader who mostly ends up with the rest of his squad dead, and also almost recklessly gets you killed in his loyalty mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

God I am so freaking borrrrred at work. Just wanna play video games.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpsbj0OoeNo
great song, great music

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

God I am so freaking borrrrred at work. Just wanna play video games.

Have fun with captionbot, its brain dead

http://www.captionbot.ai

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

lol rich kids can afford to piss their youth away on video games

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Such great songs about video games out there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE6wxDqdOV0

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StashAugustine posted:

It's not, really. Twilight Struggle is a two-player conflict between the US and the Soviet Union, both sides are competing to take over countries by adding political influence to them. Both players draw cards from a single deck that have events from the Cold War on them- Castro's revolution in Cuba, the Cuban Missile Crisis, Chernobyl, etc. Cards are played back and forth either for their event or for generic operations points to place influence or remove your opponent's- but playing an opponent's card for operations still results in the event occurring, so some of the cards in your hand may set you back. TS becomes a game of crisis management- trying to figure out how to discard or defuse the dangerous events you have and maximize your good ones while still fighting your enemy for board position. It's fantastically tense, extremely well-designed, and involves lots of swearing at Latin America. It was famously the #1 rated game on boardgamegeek for a good while, there's a ton of strategy to it.

OK, sounds pretty interesting. Thanks!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

OK, sounds pretty interesting. Thanks!
The same company does a game called 1960 that uses similar gameplay. The players are Kennedy and Nixon on the campaign trail. It's a bit simpler than Twilight Struggle and can be a good starting place.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Paladinus posted:

You should try A Wizard's Lizard, imo.

I have, it's kinda too slow for my liking.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

FactsAreUseless posted:

The same company does a game called 1960 that uses similar gameplay. The players are Kennedy and Nixon on the campaign trail. It's a bit simpler than Twilight Struggle and can be a good starting place.

Yeah 1960 is pretty good if you can get a board version, unfortunately there's no official digital version and the unofficial ones aren't as good. It's simpler, a little more forgiving, and I really like the way it handles 'die rolls'- you have a bag that gets filled up with colored cubes, to make a check you pull out X cubes and the ones that are your color are successes. This make it a little less swingy, since you get less 'lucky' the more you succeed, and the really clever bit is that the cubes are seeded inversely to how valuable your cards are- so if you get a hand of lovely low-point cards you get an advantage on your support checks. It's a pretty neat system.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

12 days until Road to E3 thread

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

not a hacker

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Jay Rust posted:

not a hacker

Hacker

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

this is the soundtrack to my life

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Quest For Glory II posted:

12 days until Road to E3 thread

I'm excited for E3 because I like fun things!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Mordja posted:

I'm excited for E3 because I like fun things!

lol if you're not cynical about everything ever

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like e3

If people do not like e3, that is ok

but I like e3

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

E3 is great, it's just all of the gaming sites get to be really bad around this time because they increase the amount of click bait rumor articles they write. Off the top of my head the last two years didn't have any accurate rumors.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
E3 is like gamer Christmas, except you see the idealized versions of your presents and you don't get them until next year

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

I heard of 1960 through Shutupandsitdown but I don't have people around me that like that sort of board game.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm excited for Nintendo to Say a Thing about the NX and the Next Zelda this E3

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

The internet is going to explode when a bunch of people who dont even own a Wii U see that Zelda is being pushed back for the NX.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

[microsoft walks up to the e3 stage clutching notecards] "w-webster's dictionary defines 'fun' as

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Monkey Fracas posted:

I have been hearing about this poo poo for like two years so I will be kind of relieved that I won't have to hear annoying speculation about it any more

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So, maybe it's just my childhood talking, but I'm kind of excited for Gears of War 4?and I don't even own a XBone. What is up with that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So, maybe it's just my childhood talking, but I'm kind of excited for Gears of War 4?and I don't even own a XBone. What is up with that.

That's okay it's gonna be on Windows 10 as well. The marketing for the game makes it seem like its an Xbone exclusive but its actually not.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I said come in! posted:

The internet is going to explode when a bunch of people who dont even own a Wii U see that Zelda is being pushed back for the NX.

I'd be annoyed if it was entirely moved over rather than just ported like TP since I have no intention of getting an NX, but eh.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I love E3, I took a work-from-home day for one of the shows last year and watched the ridiculous Sony show with my gf. poo poo, last year was fun as gently caress, seeing the Bethesda guys show off Fallout plus Dishonored 2 and Doom, getting more info on Mirror's Edge or Deus Ex, all the fuckin Sony stuff, and watching embarrassing poo poo like Yarn Man, Ubisoft, or EA.

I wish Nintendo changed their gig for this year and did a live show, if only so they could really gauge audience reactions to the NX stuff. I loved seeing poo poo like the Smash Bros live reveals or the incredibly bad Wii Music stuff.

E3 owns.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Motto posted:

I'd be annoyed if it was entirely moved over rather than just ported like TP since I have no intention of getting an NX, but eh.

Wii U owners are going to get royally screwed over. We all invested in a console that Nintendo promised would have amazing support from game devs, instead it became yet another Nintendo only system and its already being phased out with some of their biggest IPs not getting any games on it.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

I said come in! posted:

That's okay it's gonna be on Windows 10 as well. The marketing for the game makes it seem like its an Xbone exclusive but its actually not.

But, I mean, don't those games suck and I just remember them being good? Or was that just that prequel.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Wii U owners are going to get royally screwed over. We all invested in a console that Nintendo promised would have amazing support from game devs, instead it became yet another Nintendo only system

lol if you expected otherwise from the second the thing was announced

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gears of War always sucked and is slow and ugly as sin

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hiro Protagonist posted:

But, I mean, don't those games suck and I just remember them being good? Or was that just that prequel.

They have very divided opinions. I still play Gears of War 3, it's my favorite multiplayer shooter because you don't die in one hit.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Hiro Protagonist posted:

are you really worried that your opinion could be in the minority

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
e3 itself is pretty fun, making fun of game ceo's doing dumb/silly stuff on stage is fun, people having meltdowns in the e3 thread is fun.

Overall, e3 is fun.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I started playing DS3 and it has me in its death grip and I had to really pull myself away last night so that I wouldn't wake up feeling like poo poo for work this morning. gently caress fun games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I died a stupid death and had to turn it off for a bit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Turning off a game is really easy. All you need is a little.... push *makes hand movement like the joker from batman movie, except to press alt +f4*

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
So uh I bought Golf With Friends and played for 6 hours straight, should I take up heroin in order to ween myself off it? (anyone wanna play?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

monolithburger posted:

So uh I bought Golf With Friends and played for 6 hours straight, should I take up heroin in order to ween myself off it? (anyone wanna play?)

It was pateron night with smite and we played 3 hours, it's a great game

https://youtu.be/yieQRa8X9Vs

• Locked thread