Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

less laughter posted:

Only Sun/Moon.

But from there we may be able to trade them back to gen VI, like we could from II to I.

Ah, lame. Guess I'll hold off on picking any of them up for the time being then.

Another Q: my brother is gonna let me borrow either White 2 or AS and I don't know which to ask for; on one hand I'm sure AS will have a ton of improvements but I've also heard that Black/White 2 were fantastic games in their own rights. I'm extremely casual about my playing (I've got Y currently and previously had played Red/Gold, nothing in-between).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

im playing pokemon yellow and pikachu is Not Good and also a whiny rear end in a top hat who won't make himself better with an evolve

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I got yellow and ditched pikachu for jolteon

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I only nuzlocked Yellow in my adulthood, having never played it before (I went from Blue to Silver, Crystal was my first third version). Pikachu lived until Sabrina and her Alakazam.

That Alakazam did a number on my team. Gen 1 Alakazam is the best.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

majormonotone posted:

I got yellow and ditched pikachu for jolteon

Good decision, though a bit of an obstacle is that you can't get Bulbasaur then...

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

less laughter posted:

Good decision, though a bit of an obstacle is that you can't get Bulbasaur then...

I didn't ditch Pikachu until after I had gotten it

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pikachu is usable for the entire game, but it really falls apart towards the end. You usually rely on it to outspeed stuff and use Thunder Wave, which saved my rear end in a number of battles. But starting from Blaine, you uh kinda got outspeeded and then one shot.

Still, you just can't help but grow attached to the drat thing and it feels a little weird to play Yellow without the rat following you all the time.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

Pikachu is usable for the entire game, but it really falls apart towards the end. You usually rely on it to outspeed stuff and use Thunder Wave, which saved my rear end in a number of battles. But starting from Blaine, you uh kinda got outspeeded and then one shot.

Still, you just can't help but grow attached to the drat thing and it feels a little weird to play Yellow without the rat following you all the time.

No..No it doesn't. Pikachu has 2 uses in Yellow.

1. To help you catch a caterpie.

2. To get that lady to fork over Bulbasaur.

Then you put it in the box, and enjoy the rest of the game.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Pikachu is fine because gen 1 trainers both do not know how to use TMs and are stuck doing the series-staple, ultra lazy auto-move-learns, only on the gen 1 learn lists instead of the loaded later-gen ones. Also stat experience instead of EVs means it's just all-around better than their stuff--of similar/close base stats at least--in every stat instead of only some stats. And its exp curve is decent. And Body Slam is a TM that exists.

I mirrored Gary's run of the E4 with a handicap of pikachu instead of alakazam and level 40-45 going in instead of level 60-65 and still won easily because gen 1.

edit: I guess at least the gym leaders/E4/gym trainers/rival might have better DVs than you though, if you're unlucky. They are all set to 8, which is something I had forgotten until I tried to mew glitch on them.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

GobiasIndustries posted:

Ah, lame. Guess I'll hold off on picking any of them up for the time being then.

Another Q: my brother is gonna let me borrow either White 2 or AS and I don't know which to ask for; on one hand I'm sure AS will have a ton of improvements but I've also heard that Black/White 2 were fantastic games in their own rights. I'm extremely casual about my playing (I've got Y currently and previously had played Red/Gold, nothing in-between).

White 2 would be what I would go for. Gen V is the best gen imo, and while I prefer the first games for their story, the sequels do have more features and Pokemon.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

What is wrong with you. Did the anime not teach you anything?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Everything I needed to learn about pokemon I learned from the first 5 minutes of that episode with the guy who trained his sandshrew by whipping it and making it swim a lot

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
A.J.! That episode made me buy a Game Genie so that I could start with a Sandshrew and treat it right.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I always thought those results-oriented, min/maxing trainers were meant to represent players and their training style. At the end of the day they usually found some way to legitimize that style instead of condemning it, so as not to alienate players.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

hopeandjoy posted:

White 2 would be what I would go for. Gen V is the best gen imo, and while I prefer the first games for their story, the sequels do have more features and Pokemon.

Cool, thanks for the rec! I think he might actually have Black 1 also so I've got some options there too, I just assumed that BW2 were improvements, not sequels.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
EDIT: There was a post here. It died. Do not mourn it, there was a reason it got Old Yeller'd.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

At the end of the day, it's the main game of Pokemon. You can use more or less anything you want and I used Pikachu because I could do so, easily. Sure I could've used other Pokemon, but that's a reason to play through the games again later with a different team.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

MTV Crib Death posted:

A.J.! That episode made me buy a Game Genie so that I could start with a Sandshrew and treat it right.

AJ invented the Macho Brace. He's everyone's friend.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Diet Poison posted:

I have two boxes on my Bank. I'll go through 'em after work and sort 'em into "probably/definitely hacked" "not hacked". I mean, it's not impossible to hatch a 6IV shiny. I've hatched at least two 5IV ones, personally, but we'll Occam's Razor this poo poo and assume the 6IV ones are hacked.

I'm fine with a non Mawile hacked shiny, it just feels weird having a hacked one when the natural one is the only one I ever caught in the wild.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

no one should ever aspire to be like Ash Ketchum he is the Chicago Cubs of pokemom trainers

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Ostentatious posted:

no one should ever aspire to be like Ash Ketchum he is the Chicago Cubs of pokemom trainers

But what about his CHUTZPAH?!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm fine with a non Mawile hacked shiny, it just feels weird having a hacked one when the natural one is the only one I ever caught in the wild.

Here's a breakdown, including all kinds of poo poo.
Gengar (Kor)
Chansey (nn: Mint Julep, self-caught, in Master ball 'cause why not)
Starmie
Mr. Mime (nn: Cardigan, self-caught, in Dusk ball)
Magikarp (Japanese name, likely hacked, Jolly 5IV)
Furret (nn: Edmund, 6IV Jolly Pokerus)
Two Dunsparces, Jesus and no nick, self-caught
Ho-oh (nn: Oh-No, 6IV Hardy, Luxury ball)
Wingull (nn: cSic, self-caught)
It did not take long for me to decide not to effort-list so much anymore.
Rocket the Zigzagoon
SHINE ON the Beautifly (from Sinnoh)
Illumise
Bluestreak the Kecleon
Zangoose
BuckNut the Bibarel
ROSEBLOOD the Roserade
Angrir the Garchomp
Lumen the Watchog
Goldhound the Stoutland
Tirtouga
Trubbish
Mienblue the Mienfoo (Jolly, bred in Unova)
Smaug the Druddigon
Heatmor (in a Master ball)
BlackNBlue the Bisharp. Adamant with Defiant, 31 in Speed, bred in Unova.
Crimsonclaw the Clawitzer

Wow, Furret, Ho-oh, and Magikarp are the only hacked-up ones. I assumed there was more. At least half of those are caught/bred by me.

If for some reason anyone is super fuckin' taken with the idea of having one of these guys, speak up. These are just the ones I'm willing to trade. Y'all can't have Heicenberg the 5IV blue Cloyster bred to destroy his enemies, though I will brag about his existence.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Diet Poison posted:

You know you can Bulbapedia routes, and it always gives a detailed breakdown. That's cool if you wanna be a masochist, though; lord knows I've done more boring poo poo than that to kill time.

I just transferred my living dex to Omega Ruby when the remakes came out, and instantly platinum-crowned every area. :c00lbert:

Also, seeing your list of shinies makes me want to shiny-hunt/shiny-breed. :( Even though I've already had like 40 shinies since gen 3!

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
So I finally found a Chesnaught set that I liked. Admittedly I just cribbed it off of Smogon but this is my 5th mono-grass sweep in a row playing in OU :effortless:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-358922612

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Regardless of playing in OU, Typhlosion has always been a mainstay of my team. Decided to switch up his set and try something different - I love how much he can demolish with Eruption.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-358933427

Xander B Coolridge posted:

So I finally found a Chesnaught set that I liked. Admittedly I just cribbed it off of Smogon but this is my 5th mono-grass sweep in a row playing in OU :effortless:

Hahaha holy poo poo, that was great.

Cant Ride A Bus fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 14, 2016

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

You pretty much won that game on turn one when Will 'O Wisp missed. The RNG, she is a fickle lady.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Holy poo poo :allears: this was very awesome. I love the Grass type so I'm really glad to see it dominating.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

I just love to see Chesnaught get some use. It's always been my favorite Kalos starter.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Mozi posted:

we built this city

we built this city on sand and piss

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Look, guy, pokemon is an easy game. Extremely easy. And pikachu has a cute sprite while it follows you around. So you keep the pikachu.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Look, guy, pokemon is an easy game. Extremely easy. And pikachu has a cute sprite while it follows you around. So you keep the pikachu.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Amppelix posted:

I'm sorry I don't buy into this pika propaganda. The little rat who refuses to live up to it's full potential sits in the box. It's that simple. There is a world of pokes who would love to join my team, and help me become the best there ever was.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
"Just take the thunderstone!"

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
When I was a kid and found out that Pikachu will always refuse to evolve, I just traded that sucker to Blue, used a thunder stone and traded back. I'm the pokémon trainer, I call the shots. :colbert:

I was only a little disappointed that I didn't have a Raichu waddling around behind my player sprite for the rest of the game.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Lotsa hosed up haters itt

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Pikachu hating is so last gen.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Raichu is and has always been 10x as cool and adorable as Pikachu.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Raichu is the real Chu!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This, this so much. Raichu supremacy, now and forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
So did they want to keep him Pikachu because he's supposed to be cuter? I remember that Pikachu was picked because he looked cool enough for boys and cute enough for girls. Is Raichu leaning too hard on the cool side? Seems cute enough to me...

• Locked thread