Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Mr. Apollo posted:

The Traxxas X-Maxx looks really cool but I'm hearing some complaints about people trashing the diffs because the gears are all plastic.

Seems okay, but its a lot pricier, and to be honest, I'm not a fan of the looks. Weird as it sounds, I want to like the look of what I'm beating the poo poo out of.
I'm also keeping my eye on the used R/C market, there's a lot of stuff that gets sold. I just missed out on the 1/8th Losi Gas Monster Truck for $600 Cdn, with a bunch of upgrades and basically no usage. Would've jumped on that in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My son has a Traxxas Stampede and recently it started making a labored whining noise from the trans/motor area. We have been using it on the beach so I modded it with a lower pinion gear and sand (paddle) tires. It happened almost immediately after I installed a wheelie bar which attaches to the trans housing, probably unrelated but I thought it was odd that they designed it that way. Anyway, I checked the pinion and it was loose (stupid little allen bolt) but it's fine. Any ideas? Do I need to start taking the trans apart?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

leica posted:

My son has a Traxxas Stampede and recently it started making a labored whining noise from the trans/motor area. We have been using it on the beach so I modded it with a lower pinion gear and sand (paddle) tires. It happened almost immediately after I installed a wheelie bar which attaches to the trans housing, probably unrelated but I thought it was odd that they designed it that way. Anyway, I checked the pinion and it was loose (stupid little allen bolt) but it's fine. Any ideas? Do I need to start taking the trans apart?
I had the same problem with the grub screw on the pinion on other cars. A bit of threadlock solved the problem.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Siochain posted:

Seems okay, but its a lot pricier, and to be honest, I'm not a fan of the looks. Weird as it sounds, I want to like the look of what I'm beating the poo poo out of.

This isn't weird at all. There is so much cool looking stuff on the market anymore that it really makes the ugly stuff (like the extremely generic and uninspired looking X-Maxx) stick out.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

slidebite posted:

So my 72 year old father in law is a bit of a geek and when I told him he should get a boat for the man made pond just outside his back yard his eyes lit up like a 5 year old on Christmas eve.

Is there a "decent" boat for beginners? Hovercraft maybe? I'd like to keep it under $300.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/boats/electric-boats/boats/recoil-26-inch-self-righting-brushless-deep-v-rtr-p-prb08022
Pretty much one of the best midrange RTR boats around that I know of if you want something really reliable and hard to gently caress up.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hypnolobster posted:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/boats/electric-boats/boats/recoil-26-inch-self-righting-brushless-deep-v-rtr-p-prb08022
Pretty much one of the best midrange RTR boats around that I know of if you want something really reliable and hard to gently caress up.

Oooh, nifty! I live on a river and don't own a proper boat, yet, so this looks like it would be fun!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Is there a recommended place for custom body painting? I want something that would fit with one of the color schemes of my favorite sports teams, including logos, but suck at actually painting stuff myself.

Related question: how can I figure out which after-market bodies will fit my LST2? Would basically any 1/8 scale "large" body work?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kibner posted:

Is there a recommended place for custom body painting? I want something that would fit with one of the color schemes of my favorite sports teams, including logos, but suck at actually painting stuff myself.

Best to check the painting subforum on rctech.net - there might be a local dude in your area who advertises there.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

This isn't weird at all. There is so much cool looking stuff on the market anymore that it really makes the ugly stuff (like the extremely generic and uninspired looking X-Maxx) stick out.

Glad I'm not the only one. I don't hate it, but there is better looking stuff!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hypnolobster posted:

That looks pretty cool, thanks!

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs

Isn't that solved by a body swap though?

I got my x maxx back together. Surprisingly none of the drive line was damaged. It's pretty drat easy to work on. Even the shocks are pretty decent to work with. I've always hated rebuilding shocks, but these ones didn't make me hate it any more.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

EduardoEspecial posted:

Isn't that solved by a body swap though?

I got my x maxx back together. Surprisingly none of the drive line was damaged. It's pretty drat easy to work on. Even the shocks are pretty decent to work with. I've always hated rebuilding shocks, but these ones didn't make me hate it any more.

Awesome, glad to hear it wasn't too bad.

For me, I'm not a fan of most of the monster trucks as they just sit too "high" and look weird to me. I love the lower-slung look of things like the Kraton, Twin Hammers, Yeti, etc. Just a personal preference thing, really. Albeit I love body-swapping on a lot of rigs - I need to get a few more, but with the Canadian dollar where it's at, that's a lot of money for vanity.

So, sanity check. I want a basher, and I want bigger than 1/10th. So, looking at the Arma Kraton pretty seriously - seems solid, good price, etc. Some issues with the ESC, but there's a new model out that hopefully won't have that. Worst case scenario, Hobbywing replacement. I can pick up a Kraton, RTR, for roughly $700 Canadian, which is in the budget I've set for myself.

The other song in my head is "build a yeti XL kit." I can get the kit for about $700. Then another $200 for electronics. It's appealing, I love the look, and there's a lot of cool stuff I can do. Seems to be rated half-decently as a basher/all-purpose truck, but is it going to scratch the "4wd take jumps eat gravel play in the snow allday" itch?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Siochain posted:

Awesome, glad to hear it wasn't too bad.

For me, I'm not a fan of most of the monster trucks as they just sit too "high" and look weird to me. I love the lower-slung look of things like the Kraton, Twin Hammers, Yeti, etc. Just a personal preference thing, really. Albeit I love body-swapping on a lot of rigs - I need to get a few more, but with the Canadian dollar where it's at, that's a lot of money for vanity.

So, sanity check. I want a basher, and I want bigger than 1/10th. So, looking at the Arma Kraton pretty seriously - seems solid, good price, etc. Some issues with the ESC, but there's a new model out that hopefully won't have that. Worst case scenario, Hobbywing replacement. I can pick up a Kraton, RTR, for roughly $700 Canadian, which is in the budget I've set for myself.

The other song in my head is "build a yeti XL kit." I can get the kit for about $700. Then another $200 for electronics. It's appealing, I love the look, and there's a lot of cool stuff I can do. Seems to be rated half-decently as a basher/all-purpose truck, but is it going to scratch the "4wd take jumps eat gravel play in the snow allday" itch?

I've heard the mish mash of 1/10 and 1/8 scale parts has made certain parts prone to breakage.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Ozmiander posted:

I've heard the mish mash of 1/10 and 1/8 scale parts has made certain parts prone to breakage.

Hey man, long time no see. I'd heard/read the same a bit, so I think I'll try and find a Kraton. Hopefully I can find a used one, or a decent price on a roller. But, we'll see.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Siochain posted:

Hey man, long time no see. I'd heard/read the same a bit, so I think I'll try and find a Kraton. Hopefully I can find a used one, or a decent price on a roller. But, we'll see.

Always been here, just not there, lol.

Also, the Kraton BLX is like $460 for a 6s brushless beast. Way better deal, if uglier.

EDIT: $400 with the coupon code 014T6 at Towerhobbies atm.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Ozmiander posted:

Always been here, just not there, lol.

Also, the Kraton BLX is like $460 for a 6s brushless beast. Way better deal, if uglier.

EDIT: $400 with the coupon code 014T6 at Towerhobbies atm.

Yeah, but you know I'm Canadian, so after exchange/duties/etc that's like 3 grand hahah. And I like the Kraton's look :P

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
It's going to be so much fun when I become a good enough driver to avoid breaking something halfway through a battery pack.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Kibner posted:

It's going to be so much fun when I become a good enough driver to avoid breaking something halfway through a battery pack.

That...that's possible? :P
Where's the fun? :)

But, yeah. Breaking something every few runs is okay, but goddamn breaking something every pack is a pain.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

FWIW since I've been involved with Big Squid going on 3 years now the Kraton is pretty much the Big Man on Campus when it comes to RTR, off the shelf, no mod bash trucks. If you want something big that can jump, haul rear end, and take a massive beating then the $500 or so price of admission is one hell of a deal. You can find better stuff for a higher price, but from what I've seen personally it's a hoss.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

FWIW since I've been involved with Big Squid going on 3 years now the Kraton is pretty much the Big Man on Campus when it comes to RTR, off the shelf, no mod bash trucks. If you want something big that can jump, haul rear end, and take a massive beating then the $500 or so price of admission is one hell of a deal. You can find better stuff for a higher price, but from what I've seen personally it's a hoss.

You're guys review of it is what sold me on it. Was hoping to hear from you hahah.
Thanks!
Now to wait for the tax return to get in.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Kibner posted:

Yeah.. My Yeti XL with 16000mah of battery would typically last about 6-8 minutes of fun before I broke something significant.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Siochain posted:

You're guys review of it is what sold me on it. Was hoping to hear from you hahah.
Thanks!
Now to wait for the tax return to get in.

You will love it. Hobbico is really on to something with the Arrma line and the Kraton is a home run of a vehicle. I think I'd argue its the best kept secret in r/c.

Hey guess what I have coming soon? A Kyosho Blizzard! I'm going to be racing it in our retro monster truck class after I do up a Midnight Pumpkin body for it. I've always loved Monster Tank Trucks

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 15, 2016

Siochain
May 24, 2005

You will love it. Hobbico is really on to something with the Arrma line and the Kraton is a home run of a vehicle. I think I'd argue its the best kept secret in r/c.

Hey guess what I have coming soon? A Kyosho Blizzard! I'm going to be racing it in our retro monster truck class after I do up a Midnight Pumpkin body for it. I've always loved Monster Tank Trucks

Yeah, there really doesn't seem to be anything quite like it. Hopefully tax return love is enough for me to swing it. Or I just sell some other poo poo, but :P

And drat you. A blizzard is on my "want to buy", but given how much we need to sink into the house in the next few years, it might be a while.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Is it the correct kind of blizzard with the 540 sized motors and 1/8 diff/brake setup to drive and steer?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Are parts easy to get for that Kraton thing? I have been sort of in the market for a bashing vehicle...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

As long as you're open to getting parts online then yes, super easy. It is regionally supported by some hobby stores too, depending on what type of brick and mortar shops are around. Online though that will be cake to get parts.

I just bought a sh'load of vanquish parts for my RR10 so I'll be busy this weekend. I got the scale knuckles, hubs, some Method wheels with 350 SLWs and the new Incision stainless link set. Next up will be lower trailing arms, Currie sway bar and Pro-Line Pro-Spec shocks for the beast (as soon as they are off back order). Seriously considering the F9 Currie axles too.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

As long as you're open to getting parts online then yes, super easy. It is regionally supported by some hobby stores too, depending on what type of brick and mortar shops are around. Online though that will be cake to get parts.

I just bought a sh'load of vanquish parts for my RR10 so I'll be busy this weekend. I got the scale knuckles, hubs, some Method wheels with 350 SLWs and the new Incision stainless link set. Next up will be lower trailing arms, Currie sway bar and Pro-Line Pro-Spec shocks for the beast (as soon as they are off back order). Seriously considering the F9 Currie axles too.

How is the RR10? It looks like a ton of fun.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Cool, I got in two(!) battery packs for my LST2 brushless before calling it quits. I need to pick up some loc-tite for the rear transmission outdrive cup since it came loose a couple times which resulted in the rear wheels not doing any work for a 4wd vehicle. :v:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

You can find better stuff for a higher price...
Ive been out of the hobby for a while, but do you mean something like an Inferno ST-RR?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

Ive been out of the hobby for a while, but do you mean something like an Inferno ST-RR?

Never driven the Inferno truggy but i've heard they are great.

As for the Blizzard, mine is a new one with the twin 370 size motor setups, but i'll be modifying it to fit bigger 540 size. I had heard others say try and get an old one but at the time the only older ones I had seen were in bad condition and/or with an asking price way too high.

I'll post a pic when I'm finished with it but it's conversion to monster tank truck has gone very well and I'll be finished early this week. It's a lot of fun to drive as well.

EDIT - For the poster asking about the RR10 I think it's Axial's best truck since the original SCX10. Speaking of that, the SCX10 V2 (or whatever it's supposed to be called) should be announced very soon.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 18, 2016

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Does anyone make anything like this for RC vehicles?

That'd be cool for winter bashing.

edit - someone made a 3D printed set for 1/10 vehicles.

http://www.instructables.com/id/RC-car-tracks-in-110-scale/

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 18, 2016

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yes, RC4wd has made their predator tracks for awhile now. They have them in various sizes.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Rc4wd makes those, they're called predator tracks. And like all things rc4wd they are really expensive.

http://store.rc4wd.com/Predator-Tracks_c_176.html

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I think Integy make a set as well...but would suggest the RC4WD version. I don't know if Integy build quality has improved over the years.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I figured they'd be expensive.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Made some progress on my Wraith.

I can see why RTRs are so popular, this is going to end up taking a month to build, but I will continue to buy kits since that's all part of the fun for me. Got the next couple of days off and finally have all the misc parts I ordered, so I should be able to finish it off today.

Question: I ordered some shock shafts for another one of my cars, but they are way too long.

Did Associated package the wrong shafts, or am I not understanding how they are measured? I was expecting them to be 35mm long.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
That's a good length for a 35mm travel shock. Between the clip area for the piston, distance for seals, and the threads at the bottom... So.. mabye that's how they're measuring them?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Usually RC shocks are described as a total length from the center of each attachment point as well as a stroke length, meaning how far they compress when completely built, but it looks like they listed the shaft description as actually 35mm long, which is what you were expecting.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

:getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-6rvEvc3IE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meathole
Jul 25, 2007
Boy's have penises and girls have vaginas
So I got back into R/C a couple of years ago. I had a few Team Asociated cars I bought 10-20 years ago and drug them back out. Converted my original RC10T to brushless with a cheap Hobbyking setup and ran it on 3S, but it was just too much power. Blew up the stock engine in my NTC-3, so I stuffed an OS .18 in there and it's just about perfect. About 3 years ago, I decided to go big, so I bought a new MGT 8.0. The .50 engine was a piece of poo poo, and it finally seized about 2 years ago and I shelved the truck. I was so sick of having to fix something or fiddle with the tuning every time I took it out I just didn't want to deal with it anymore.

About a month ago I decided to convert it to brushless. Holy poo poo, what an amazing difference. Grabbed a conversion kit and dropped a Mamba Monster 2 in it with a 2200KV motor. On 4S the thing can't keep the front tires on the ground at any speed. After getting tired of doing wheelies for a couple of weeks, I bought a brand new Losi 8ight 3.0 nitro roller for $140 and converted it to brushless. Dropped in the MM2 and stuffed a 16T pinion in there. No wheelies(except on fresh asphalt or concrete), but this thing RIPS! I never ever imagined that R/C cars would evolve to the level they are at today. Even on 4S it puts a smile on my face every time. I ran it once on 5S in the parking lot and destroyed a brand new set of front tires with 1 battery pack. Just got done filling the center diff with 10K silicone, and it seems much better now(sends more power to the back), but I need to keep it on dirt. I may throw a 6s pack in there once just for fun, but anything more than 3S is just plain retarded. The motor stays under 130 degrees on 4s, so I could probably go up a tooth or two. I also get about 20 minutes of runtime per pack compared to what, 6 or 7 minutes with the old Ni-CAD setups and lovely brushed motors?

I remember back in the day, a 7-cell 8.4V Ni-CAD pack was considered pretty hot. Now we're running 25V through motors that can easily handle whatever the batteries can throw at them. I will never ever go back to nitro cars. To each his own I guess. My TC3 sounds cool and is extremely quick, but the awesomeness of brushless Li-Po power has got me hooked. If I can find a decently big new parking lot around here I may delve into brushless on-road for some serious speed and fun. I'm sure an 1/8 scale on-road with 6s and MM2 power would just be hysterical and pretty terrifying. I thought about converting the NTC-3 to brushless, but after owning two 1/8 trucks, I think I'm hooked on the bigger models. Plus the OS .18 puts out plenty of power, and I don't want to push any more torque through a 12 year old drivetrain. If there is anyone left who is a die-hard nitro fan and has not had a chance to try out a good brushless setup, I wholeheartedly encourage you to do so.