Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the police are people who are paid to perform full time, those duties upon which it is incumbent for every citizen to uphold by virtue of their civic duty, it follows that bashing the fash is totally legit even if the coppers don't agree.

E: January 8th, 1968 – British Prime Minister Harold Wilson endorses the I'm Backing Britain campaign for working an additional half hour each day without pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

FinalGamer posted:

Wow, I had no idea the Daily Express was that old.

Founded in 1900

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Thanks for setting me straight Forkboy, I hadn't read the full Corbyn thing.

Guavanaut posted:

Most of the protests are planned in advance and get permission, and most of the planning bit is careful not to overstep the line. Maintaining the freedom of speech and assembly is important, and the fascists are careful to ride parasite-like within those maintained lines until they decide it is time not to not to. Or hide in a baggage area behind a shutter.

As was said above, they can't just arrange on social media "let's have a pint and beat up some Muslims", the police would be on top of that before it started, so they dress it up as a planned march, which has safeguards and some formulaic speeches about what they supposedly stand for. I've not personally seen any Nazi flags either, it's usually St. George's Crosses, Union Flags, the odd BUF flash or similar, and some carefully selected Not-Nazi flags like the War Ensign of the German Empire. They may have been less subtle about that at other demos though, I don't know.

I'm glad that the police aren't allowed to shut down any and all protests they don't like short of blatant threats to public order, but that situation does either require a very strong police presence at short notice for fascist marches whenever they do decide to cross that line, or for the community to be highly active in opposing them before and during any escalation.

Thanks for explaining, the cunning devils.

Your avatar is really, really creepy by the way :)

Edit:

In lighter news, enjoy some epic lorry driving on the M6 toll: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/36045260

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

FinalGamer posted:

The best part of Private Eye, the very simplest means to call out bullshit on people.

Even though everyone of us "low-achievers" already knew this loving blatant-rear end fact.

You'd think so wouldn't you? But in the runup to the last election I had dinner with a friend who was unironically voting Tory because he wanted to make sure he could pass everything on to his daughter.

I pointed out that a: he could do that already because his estate was almost certainly not worth over the threshold, and b: his daughter was loving two years old, it's not like the rules won't have changed 50 times before then anyway.

He was not persuaded.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TinTower posted:

By the way, if you guys want a laugh, Cathy Brennan – yes, that one – is trying to get me kicked out of the Lib Dems for calling her a fake goth.

I'm not even joking.

Thought you would have learned your lesson about accusing people of only being dark on the outside.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

By the way, if you guys want a laugh, Cathy Brennan – yes, that one – is trying to get me kicked out of the Lib Dems for calling her a fake goth.

I'm not even joking.

is there more than one Cathy Brennan? Who is she / they?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gonzo McFee posted:

Thought you would have learned your lesson about accusing people of only being dark on the outside.

hahaha

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

The lesson to learn would surely be the one about being in the Lib Dems at this point?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

:whatup:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

JFairfax posted:

is there more than one Cathy Brennan? Who is she / they?

A bigoted sack of poo poo who hates transexual women.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

TinTower posted:

Also from the interbellum, the Daily Express thinking that a (non-existent) boycott is more a declaration of war than literal pogroms and genocide.

I'm calling bullshit.

Everyone knows that Cheese does not aid digestion. (Unless you're lactose intolerant in which case it aids in a bad way.)

Get your facts together St Ivel!

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Gonzo McFee posted:

Hahahahaha :drat:

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

It's funny, I find it difficult to tell Lib Dem politics apart from NUS politics now. Say what you want about the Blairites, but at least there's a certain modicum of actual politics in their squabbling.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gonzo McFee posted:

A bigoted sack of poo poo who hates transexual women.

I just googled her and it's ironic because she looks like a bloke

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Speaking of Squabbling, a splinter of UKIP has left in Wales to form the "Abolish the Welsh Assembly" party for the next Welsh Assembly election. Was nice of BBC to be impartial and run their ad that looked like it was done in MS paint.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Fans posted:

Speaking of Squabbling, a splinter of UKIP has left in Wales to form the "Abolish the Welsh Assembly" party for the next Welsh Assembly election. Was nice of BBC to be impartial and run their ad that looked like it was done in MS paint.

Got a link?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Sadly all they have is a man who looks like a three week old ham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx1QDYOIlcg

I think the BBC puts up all ads on its site eventually though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Fans posted:

There is something hilarious about people running for office on an 'abolish this office' stance.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
RE: fashchat, when I was in uni we watched a super good documentary about french antifa, ANTIFA - Chasseurs de skins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfDbTgb6uyc

trigger warning: french, subtitles

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fans posted:

Is this another of their 'get paid to show up and do no work' schemes, like running for the European Parliament as UKIP?

Prince John posted:

Your avatar is really, really creepy by the way :)
Thanks, it's fuctifino's work.

I'm not sure if it's cunning so much as the group psychology of the sort of people who tend to join these groups. At any highly charged protest or rally there tend to be a few that get carried away and brick an unpopular business or set a bin on fire, but with these groups it's more like a dozen turn up and ten of them end up attacking a group or business based on their perceived identity, so I don't buy that they're out for anything but targeted group violence. The language that they use when they think someone's watching tries deliberately hard to cover that and avoid directly attacking a protected group while retaining the core group identity. You could probably make a bot to generate them. Patriots Against Jihadis, that kind of thing.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Fans posted:

Sadly all they have is a man who looks like a three week old ham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx1QDYOIlcg

I think the BBC puts up all ads on its site eventually though.

To be fair to him, he apparently was paralysed from a fall going hiking.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Glazed ham.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Glazed ham.

yeah that's the term when you cum over the pig's face

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
as in 'I turned mrs pissflaps into a glazed ham last night'

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Doesn't poor Missflaps suffer enough without you dragging her good name through the mud? That poor woman.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

TinTower posted:

I'm not even joking.

Why are you still in the Lib Dems?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Cerv posted:

Why are you still in the Lib Dems?

Why is anyone still in the Lib Dems?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I have a friend who has been in the lib dems since birth basically and I think he's finally realised he'll never be an MP.

When I go to London in May I am going to have a drink with him in the National Liberal Club in Westminster.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

JFairfax posted:

I just googled her and it's ironic because she looks like a bloke

How many times have you been probated for being awful in this thread? go away

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Prince John posted:

Also to address your other question, there are very few proscribed organisations in the UK. In fact until 2000, there were precisely zero*. Now there's lots of waffle about the British tradition of freedom and blah blah blah but really the reason is that up until that point legislators had realised the rampant stupidity of saying "The Chorlton-cum-Hardy Morris Dancers are now a banned group!" because hey presto they disappear and the Chorlton-cum-Hardy Folk Dance Appreciation Society sets up in their place.

Of course, utter loving stupidity of a policy was never much of a barrier to Blairite Labour Home Secretaries, and so we got the Terrorism Act 2000, which among many other things allows the Home Secretary proscribe an organisation if it:

quote:

• commits or participates in acts of terrorism;
• prepares for terrorism;
• promotes or encourages terrorism (including the unlawful glorification of terrorism); or
•is otherwise concerned in terrorism.

Now the Terrorism Act is pretty loosely-written in what terrorism actually is, but even then the EDL don't fit that definition. C18 maaaaybe do, and some of the other fringe groups, especially those linked with the Loyalists, almost definitely do, but the proportionality test still gives a pretty high bar to cross. However even the quickest glance at the list of proscribed organisations (Irish ones aside) will give you a fairly good idea of what the Home Office actually think "terrorism" is and how it's defined.

Even then proscription in the Terrorism Act doesn't actually just say "You're banned, haha" (although it does make it an offence to be a member of such a group), it's actually more to do with seizing funds and disrupting logistics of established international groups. It's as effective as a chocolate teapot but legally at least it's consistent.

*Well technically there were zero in England, Wales, and Scotland. Banning orders existed for groups in Northern Ireland pretty much since Home Rule began, but again - common sense has never been much of an ingredient in the legislative mix there.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006

Fans posted:

Why is anyone still in the Lib Dems?

What's a Lib Dem?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Thanks for the effort post. In case anyone wants to know the list, it's here (pdf warning): https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/509003/20160318proscription.pdf
66 non-Norn Iron related ones.

I'd like to propose dethroning Monster Munch as the UKMT crisp of choice. They're clearly resting on their laurels if they think that this counts as a full pack of crisps:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also to address your other question, there are very few proscribed organisations in the UK. In fact until 2000, there were precisely zero*. Now there's lots of waffle about the British tradition of freedom and blah blah blah but really the reason is that up until that point legislators had realised the rampant stupidity of saying "The Chorlton-cum-Hardy Morris Dancers are now a banned group!" because hey presto they disappear and the Chorlton-cum-Hardy Folk Dance Appreciation Society sets up in their place.

Of course, utter loving stupidity of a policy was never much of a barrier to Blairite Labour Home Secretaries, and so we got the Terrorism Act 2000, which among many other things allows the Home Secretary proscribe an organisation if it:

Now the Terrorism Act is pretty loosely-written in what terrorism actually is, but even then the EDL don't fit that definition. C18 maaaaybe do, and some of the other fringe groups, especially those linked with the Loyalists, almost definitely do, but the proportionality test still gives a pretty high bar to cross. However even the quickest glance at the list of proscribed organisations (Irish ones aside) will give you a fairly good idea of what the Home Office actually think "terrorism" is and how it's defined.

Even then proscription in the Terrorism Act doesn't actually just say "You're banned, haha" (although it does make it an offence to be a member of such a group), it's actually more to do with seizing funds and disrupting logistics of established international groups. It's as effective as a chocolate teapot but legally at least it's consistent.

*Well technically there were zero in England, Wales, and Scotland. Banning orders existed for groups in Northern Ireland pretty much since Home Rule began, but again - common sense has never been much of an ingredient in the legislative mix there.

Another one of those beautiful laws that make already-illegal things illegal.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Implied Consent posted:

What's a Lib Dem?

A miserable pile of policies.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Prince John posted:

I'd like to propose dethroning Monster Munch as the UKMT crisp of choice. They're clearly resting on their laurels if they think that this counts as a full pack of crisps:

Send it to their Twitter and you'll probably get offered a free bag or something.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

Thanks for the effort post. In case anyone wants to know the list, it's here (pdf warning): https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/509003/20160318proscription.pdf
66 non-Norn Iron related ones.
Looks like about 60 Islamist groups and about

quote:

many separatist and leftist groups.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
what flavour monster munch are those?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also :lol: that they put N17 on there less than a year before they disbanded, and have refused to remove them even after the US have.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

JFairfax posted:

what flavour monster munch are those?

Pickled onion, it's a purple pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TinTower posted:

I'm not even joking.

Well on one hand you've got a horrible bigot with a history of abuse towards members of their own party, and on the other you have Cathy Brennan.

• Locked thread