Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why doesn't he just powerbomb Natasha?

He kinda does, though, onto the little table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Piledriver and the Stonecold Stunner were declared illegal moves back in 2013. Keep up, bro.

The Slovokia Accords will declare the Rock Bottom and the running knee drop illegal. This is too much for Cap and he rebels.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

sean10mm posted:

I kind of want to go back and watch Serenity, because I'm pretty sure that movie had more interesting direction than either of the Avengers films in spite of being a re-hash of a fun but overrated TV show made on a way smaller budget.

It feels like Whedon peaked 10-15 years ago and has been on a steady glide path down while his budgets go up exponentially.

It definitely does have more interesting direction. I thought it was maybe just The Avengers movie that was making him phone it in, but that recent Much Ado About Nothing movie he did sucked too. So I dunno.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

PiedPiper posted:

I like the part where Natasha punches Bucky in the dick and then straight up disappears when Sharon starts kicking him.

Good editing.

Or you know that shot didn't show like the bottom half so she simply rolled out of Sharon's way as to not interfere and then jumped back on after he sent Sharon through the table.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Jenny Angel posted:

Also can I just say that HUNDU's love of powerbombs is like my favorite recurring bit in CineD

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Dexo posted:

Or you know that shot didn't show like the bottom half so she simply rolled out of Sharon's way as to not interfere and then jumped back on after he sent Sharon through the table.

It still looks really wonky. Natasha runs across the whole room to just slightly push him and punch his dick, then peaces off for a couple of seconds. Meanwhile, Sharon, without missing a beat, kicks Bucky in the face immediately after the dick punch, as if there was no distance between them.

The constant change of angles during his fight with Tony is more jarring, though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

That's a very ginger powerbomb given he just body checks Sharon through a table.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Again, I don't think it's a good idea to judge the editing from this clip, for numerous reasons.

EDIT: Like Sharon disappearing, I'd be very surprised if that was actually how the movie went.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That's a very ginger powerbomb given he just body checks Sharon through a table.

Bucky hasn't gone full Dudley yet.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Shageletic posted:

Again, I don't think it's a good idea to judge the editing from this clip, for numerous reasons.

EDIT: Like Sharon disappearing, I'd be very surprised if that was actually how the movie went.

Oh, I agree, absolutely. It just caught my eye, and I'm not the guy who easily picks up on these things.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

Also can I just say that HUNDU's love of powerbombs is like my favorite recurring bit in CineD

You want to know where it comes from, casting all these pro wrestlers in movies. Every other wrestling move looks totally unnatural but the way they choreograph these fights always seems like someone is about to get powerbombed. Spectre had a prime scene for Craig to get put through a table and they just squandered it.

BVS did NOT disappoint with Batman's beautiful uranage while also making repurposing the crappy sparring Krav Maga of the Bale movies to look like a werewolf attack.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Bucky hasn't gone full Dudley yet.

Chivalry ain't dead. He sets the pretty lady down on the table as if they're about to have tipsy second date sex, it's bad enough they're all dressed like it's a Step Up movie set in American Outfitters.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Chivalry ain't dead. He sets the pretty lady down on the table as if they're about to have tipsy second date sex, it's bad enough they're all dressed like it's a Step Up movie set in American Outfitters.

:laugh:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Hundu you just powerbombed that scene

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm 100% sure I will enjoy Civil War, for what it's worth.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Chadwick Boseman moves really well in that clip, love the weird sound that plays when he stands up from a crouch at the end, pumped about the Ryan Coogler Black Panther movie.

Beautiful.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Why doesn't he just powerbomb Natasha?

Why doesn't he use his robot arm to just rip her esophagus out like in Road House?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

You want to know where it comes from, casting all these pro wrestlers in movies. Every other wrestling move looks totally unnatural but the way they choreograph these fights always seems like someone is about to get powerbombed. Spectre had a prime scene for Craig to get put through a table and they just squandered it.

Action choreography for women in a lot of movies seems like there's a box they have to check off calling for at least one overwrought tilt-a-whirl hurricanrana

It really makes me appreciate the Rodriguez/Carano fight in Furious 6 where it's, by comparison, a brutal exercise in throwing each other down flights of stairs and locking in armbars

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Gina Carano is good for fight choreography because she knows how to throw a good looking punch, Rousey not so much.

Electromax posted:

Why doesn't he use his robot arm to just rip her esophagus out like in Road House?

What the hell man. First of all, it's PG-13. Second, he's not Jason Vorhees.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Electromax posted:

Because the Lex Express and his steel arm haven't turned heel.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Oh gently caress you, now that scene is ruined forever. :smith:

Jenny Angel posted:

Action choreography for women in a lot of movies seems like there's a box they have to check off calling for at least one overwrought tilt-a-whirl hurricanrana

It really makes me appreciate the Rodriguez/Carano fight in Furious 6 where it's, by comparison, a brutal exercise in throwing each other down flights of stairs and locking in armbars

Gotta get John Cena in to teach them how to do a proper bad Hurricanrana.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Gina Carano is good for fight choreography because she knows how to throw a good looking punch, Rousey not so much.

Yeah, the fight with Rousey in 7 is definitely a step down, partly for the reasons you identified and partly because it plays a lot into chickfight tropes in that they're in super-fancy dresses and everyone's throwing goofy spin kicks. By contrast, there's something refreshingly unexpected about seeing two women in beat-up leather jackets gently caress each other up in a grimy train station

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 14, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Rousey's whole gimmick is that she's a redneck. She should not be fighting anyone in club attire unless she's also not wearing shoes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rhonda Rousey is terrible and I hope we never see her in mainstream movies again.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Gina Carano may have the acting range of a soggy crumpet, but her movie fights are gold. Anybody who doesn't like Haywire - if only for the rear end beatings she hands out - is a half rack of baby back bitch. :colbert:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
drat, Chadwick Boseman's Black Panther looks so good. I can't wait to see what Coogler does with him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sean10mm posted:

Gina Carano may have the acting range of a soggy crumpet, but her movie fights are gold. Anybody who doesn't like Haywire - if only for the rear end beatings she hands out - is a half rack of baby back bitch. :colbert:

I've never known how to put this but if that movie was made by anybody other than Soderbergh, it would not go unremarked on how erotic that movie is.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So do you think they're ever going to find a way to work Black Cat into the Spider-Man movies?

They keep trying to but it never really works out

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Catwoman was a poo poo movie.

So no.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

I've never known how to put this but if that movie was made by anybody other than Soderbergh, it would not go unremarked on how erotic that movie is.

If a rapey Michael Fassbender character getting thigh-choked, mounted, and eating a 9mm load to the face is erotic, then I don't even...

Oh.

OH.

:feelsgood:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I said come in! posted:

Not just you, that was some confusing editing. I understood what was going on but there could have been better ways to do that action sequence.

Here is the actual video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUTxijFgwLs

That is a garbage fight scene. Nothing looks like it has any impact - just dancing around. Winter Soldier gets elbowed in the loving head multiple times but he's fine? Come on.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

site posted:

Catwoman was a poo poo movie

And?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Why do studios edit down clips like that anyway? They confirmed that the 1 minute clip at the MTV movie awards was edited down from a 1:41 second total scene. I can understand in that situation that they had to hit a specific time limit (but why not just play the first 1 minute of the scene instead of cutting it down?), but for clips that are online only there is no real reason it HAS to be exactly 1 minute long. Several other movies release trailers and things that edit them the same way.

There is no limit on the internet guys, just make it a 1:42 second clip!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

That is a garbage fight scene. Nothing looks like it has any impact - just dancing around. Winter Soldier gets elbowed in the loving head multiple times but he's fine? Come on.

At some point Marvel execs basically went "why do we show the impact of hits" and since then for whatever reason have cut them all out from every movie. It's bizarre and jarring in the exact wrong way - stripping the violence of any actual violence.

Seriously, the reason there's no impact is because they literally snip the moment of impact out. The only time I think they don't is when it's a faceless, inconspicuous mob that can barely be noted as "person" for their time on screen, like Ultron bots or Chitauri or HYDRA masked goons.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg posted:

For sure. The lacking foley work is a huge part of it, so even when someone gets sent flying or slammed into a table, everything feels very anodyne and stagey

That said, it's important to look at where it succeeds! I think the first few seconds of that clip are legitimately dope, largely because the camerawork focuses on distancing and occluding Bucky's fight against the two nameless dorks. We get some solid vertical bars cordoning off the sweaty Tony sections of the shots from the soft focus Bucky sections, so the effect is a thought balloon showing Tony stressing about the asskicking he's about to receive

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

At some point Marvel execs basically went "why do we show the impact of hits" and since then for whatever reason have cut them all out from every movie. It's bizarre and jarring in the exact wrong way - stripping the violence of any actual violence.

Seriously, the reason there's no impact is because they literally snip the moment of impact out. The only time I think they don't is when it's a faceless, inconspicuous mob that can barely be noted as "person" for their time on screen, like Ultron bots or Chitauri or HYDRA masked goons.

Interestingly this is exactly the philosophy of the way they show action in WWE! Hard cuts on impact.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah mmhmm no doubt and have you guys seen that airport charge scene? looks like trash imo

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

site posted:

Yeah mmhmm no doubt and have you guys seen that airport charge scene? looks like trash imo

Sorry that your favorite series fight scenes are trash.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Interestingly this is exactly the philosophy of the way they show action in WWE! Hard cuts on impact.

loving Kevin Dunn, without him Sharon totally wouldn't have had to Job out in that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It's attempting to make an inherently violent thing as family friendly as possible, which is dumb because it's not like kids are stupid enough to fall for it. gently caress, kids love violence, it's why things like superheroes and pro wrestling and Looney Tunes and so on endure over generations. A formative experience for most kids is seeing Luke Skywalker get his hand cut off by a laser sword.

• Locked thread