Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
In a world where Hecarim sitting on his half built jungling item for 20 minutes while he built a Triforce first also being the meta pro build, I struggle to see the issue with finishing RoA early on Amumu. I myself would prefer to finish RE myself, but I wouldn't exactly get upset at someone trying to rush it after finishing skirmishing saber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

NTT posted:

In a world where Hecarim sitting on his half built jungling item for 20 minutes while he built a Triforce first also being the meta pro build, I struggle to see the issue with finishing RoA early on Amumu. I myself would prefer to finish RE myself, but I wouldn't exactly get upset at someone trying to rush it after finishing skirmishing saber.

That build was never good and I think Diamondprox was the only one to ever attempt it in a pro game and he got brutally stuffed doing it. The jungle items are so insanely efficient it's really dumb to deviate from completing them first.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

if you're gonna finish a whole roa before upgrading to echoes dont even both, just get cinderhulk at that point unless you're playing full AP amumu

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Libertine posted:

That build was never good and I think Diamondprox was the only one to ever attempt it in a pro game and he got brutally stuffed doing it. The jungle items are so insanely efficient it's really dumb to deviate from completing them first.

There is a world of difference in what you can get away with in a pub game and in a pro game. The window of weakness would definitely be present for him as an Amumu player but odds are, his enemy would fail to capitalize more often than not and he would just come out of it up a RoA.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Amumu should just go Rylai's second anyway (it's also really good on Nid as well)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Libertine posted:

the only champ i ever skip jungle item on is shaco because the tiamat is too important for both clears and ganks. even then that's just in regards to order and i end up picking up the warrior's soon after.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
Rylais is amazing on singed and amumu. With Amumu I also build the icefist so i can stick to enemies even better.

The thing I dislike about amumu is that even though you can build him full nuke AP or full tank, he's rather restricted in which role he can play, 99.9999% of the time he's a jungler. I wish i could see a use to lane with him.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Support amumu

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

NTT posted:

There is a world of difference in what you can get away with in a pub game and in a pro game. The window of weakness would definitely be present for him as an Amumu player but odds are, his enemy would fail to capitalize more often than not and he would just come out of it up a RoA.

I just asked him to explain why he would go ROA first and sit on components of a jungle item when jungle items are so efficient. Neither he nor you have provided a compelling reason to do that and instead brought up an example (and not even a good one) from several seasons ago when all items were different. And sure you can "get away with" all kinds of dumb poo poo but that's not really a reason to advocate for it.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

henkman posted:

Support amumu

Just isn't smart. There are many better tanks to support with if you're going 'off meta support'. Hell, even nasus would be better with his uber slow (almost a stun) and armour shred. And he can still stack a little with relic shield

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Better than playing him in a solo lane

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ristolaz posted:

I had a lot of fun(won the game) trying Leona, so everyone please give me your h0tte$t Leona tips.

Relic shield always. Then sightstone. Build supporty things but also get some beef going. She's a front line champion.

As for what to do with her? Well...you know that person on the other team that's pretty fed and can ruin your carries? Your job is to not let them play League anymore.

She's also very good at roaming. Trundle up to mid lane from time to time.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
I'd agree, that was my point, there's no other place you can play him. I like the little bugger but he cant farm well when contested and he can't pack much CC until post 6 or he gets items.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Libertine posted:

I just asked him to explain why he would go ROA first and sit on components of a jungle item when jungle items are so efficient. Neither he nor you have provided a compelling reason to do that and instead brought up an example (and not even a good one) from several seasons ago when all items were different. And sure you can "get away with" all kinds of dumb poo poo but that's not really a reason to advocate for it.

RoA is also super efficient and the earlier you finish it the faster you enjoy that efficiency. Plus, finishing Cinderhulk isn't as strong as finishing Runic Echoes, which he isn't building anyway because he is going cinderhulk to work with the RoA HP. He trades a weaker 8 minutes while he sits on a wand and catalyst for a stronger 25 minutes when his RoA is fully stacked much earlier and he turns into a mid game monster.

It's like bitching about buying a tear early. There's going to be a power trough while you farm for that bigger spike, and that trough is, frankly, incredibly insignificant below playing against the top 0.01% of the playerbase anyway, who already choose to not play Amumu in basically any form.

Nidalee wants to rush that efficiency because her usefulness as a champ is on a very short fuse and she needs to be useful immediately. Amumu can bide his time for a bit.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 14, 2016

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

a medical mystery posted:

the only champ i ever skip jungle item on is shaco because the tiamat is too important for both clears and ganks. even then that's just in regards to order and i end up picking up the warrior's soon after.

I have been doing the same since they gave tiamat the splash back.

I had played with a jungle shaco recently that didn't complete his jungle item during a ~40 min game. He said there were better items to get.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

henkman posted:

Better than playing him in a solo lane

Alistar, on the other hand....

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Guy who tried it out at first, try out some of these item combos and see if you like them:

1) Echoes

Core ) Sunfire/Abyssal/Rylais

Late/Team comp dependent) Frozen Heart, Spirit Visage, ZZ'Rot

If you just prefer RoA, go for it, but for having fun playing AP mummy you might like these better!

RE Builds in general:

You can always build sub-optimally at any level, but RoA rush Amumu into Cinderhulk doesn't make that much sense.

Echoes -- Sunfire / Abyssal / Rylais will give you a similar midgame spike as RoA and will also give you the tools to make plays and get gold to reach that spike faster. In a vacuum RoA is a good generic item for anyone who wants mana/hp/AP, which is most of the cast that uses mana, but you have to look at the opportunity cost of going for it.

You're emphasizing Amumu's weaknesses and sacrificing your early game in order to get a pretty comparable return in the mid/late game.

If you want to go the AoE AP tank route, Echoes --> Sunfire --> Abyssal is basically strictly better at the moment, and has enough synergy with his kit and the other items that it will give you a better spike than a scaling stat stick + late cinderhulk.

If you want to go more heavily into AP snowballing, Rylais/Liandries have incredibly high win rates on Amumu and their passives synergize with his kit really well in a way that isn't captured by gold efficiency stats alone.

If you need to go so tanky that you can't afford to go Echoes, Cinderhulk into FH and full tank gives you more utility and faster tank stats so you can do your job earlier (although I think that's worse than the Sunfire/Abyssal core, but hey).

It's not an indefensible purchase, but if you want to do damage there are better options (and more fun imo), if you want to be tanky there are better options, and if you want a mix there are better options at well. At that point it's safe to say that it's relatively bad. You could win games, and could win games because of the efficient midgame power spike, but that doesn't mean that you couldn't on average have won more games with a better build. If it's just fun, go for it, but just because you can succeed with weird poo poo at lower levels doesn't mean there aren't better options for winning at those low levels!

e: I don't think the 15% extra bonus hp is going to mean that much in terms of meaningful tankiness, but I guess I'll try it out now that I've been rude about it for a while and find out. My instinct is that the cdr and damage from other items would let you be net more disruptive than just being able to take more hits anyway, which is a v. important part of tanking, but I might be wrong!

foutre fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 14, 2016

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
It was a good sandwich, bond.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
looks pretty tasty

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
what a pro forma piece of lettuce that is

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

There was a narrow subset of champions where it was viable at certain times in the meta (Rengar at one point, for example) but generally Libertine is completely right. Jungle-specific items have almost always been extremely efficient and should be completed first 99.99999% of the time.

e: speaking of Rengar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og1V492py4g

lol

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
HD version HERE http://imgur.com/RMOyPHg.jpg

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

quote:

This is a new mechanic where Satchel Charge will be able to affect towers if they're below a certain health threshold (currently 25% in internal testing), destroying them immediately.

Mage rework gonna be fun

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Haha what. They're considering letting Ziggs do *25% of a tower's health* in a single move? Really?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
That's actually really cool, Ziggs can take down towers super fast to begin with with his passive

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

ImpAtom posted:

Haha what. They're considering letting Ziggs do *25% of a tower's health* in a single move? Really?

He's the Hexplosives expert. It's called "champion fantasy".

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
It's a good thing when a champion's abilities match their theme, such as Xerath shooting powerful energy everywhere, or Lee Sin walking into the wrong jungle and missing skillshots.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ristolaz posted:

It's a good thing when a champion's abilities match their theme, such as Xerath shooting powerful energy everywhere, or Lee Sin walking into the wrong jungle and missing skillshots.

All Sona players need to be force-muted then.

Also all Trundle players need to be walking piles of disgusting garbage.

... Hm, actually, Riot is part of the way there.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Trundle is the best and was good before he was popular and you can bite me if you have a problem with that!!!!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Trad Trundle is the only Trundle

Speaking of what happened to traditional skins :(

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Is that ketchup under the sandwich

This is very important

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

I've set this as my desktop background now but do you have a version sized for smartphones too?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

AHH FUGH posted:

Is that ketchup under the sandwich

This is very important

It's hot sauce

The Mash posted:

I've set this as my desktop background now but do you have a version sized for smartphones too?

Phone editon HERE http://i.imgur.com/qd49p5y.jpg

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kashuno posted:

Trad Trundle is the only Trundle

Speaking of what happened to traditional skins :(

Having a minute of old VO is really lackluster when the new lines clock in at 15+ minutes. There's also plenty of lines that are tied into ability usage that help communicate what is happening (think Twitch for example).

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Trundled used to be completely unplayed for a long time. Considered worthless

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Ristolaz posted:

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Roa on junglers sucks unless you're massively ahead so don't worry about the order of your mobafire builds

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Leona advice (late): the runes posted earlier are really bad. Never run scaling runes on supports unless you're Soraka.

Hit level two first
Dump everything to kill them
Do it again whenever they step up
Take tower
Roam mid/top after taking bot

Pregame setup:

AD reds
HP yellows (armor if not using armor quints)
CDR or MR blues
Armor or AD quints

TAKE IGNITE!!!

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Methanar posted:

It was a good sandwich, bond.

Sandwich looks ok I guess, but if you're going to show off your 10 minutes in the kitchen have some class and do it right:
Perogi and pidlyvka is how I roll. Homemade in like 10 minutes.

Rookie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

NTT posted:

RoA is also super efficient and the earlier you finish it the faster you enjoy that efficiency. Plus, finishing Cinderhulk isn't as strong as finishing Runic Echoes, which he isn't building anyway because he is going cinderhulk to work with the RoA HP. He trades a weaker 8 minutes while he sits on a wand and catalyst for a stronger 25 minutes when his RoA is fully stacked much earlier and he turns into a mid game monster.

It's like bitching about buying a tear early. There's going to be a power trough while you farm for that bigger spike, and that trough is, frankly, incredibly insignificant below playing against the top 0.01% of the playerbase anyway, who already choose to not play Amumu in basically any form.

Nidalee wants to rush that efficiency because her usefulness as a champ is on a very short fuse and she needs to be useful immediately. Amumu can bide his time for a bit.

Yeah basically this but without the logic behind it.

• Locked thread