Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Gonna throw a couple things in here

For heavy 2H builds, after beating Dragonslayer Armour trade his soul for his weapon, upgrade it if you can, it works great against Prince L...I forget the name, just starts with an L thats all I remember

After defeating Dancer and entering Lothric Castle there is an area to the left right after the ladder where you have to kill one of the bigger knights with the bucket helmet and then take an elevator down to a short area, Consumed Kings Garden. When I first went down there I saw a few of those Ouroboros things and said gently caress that, but the area is very short and after the boss there is an illusory wall behind a legit chest leading to a hidden area, Unattended Graves. I only just arrived so I'll comment later on whats there.
Interesting. It appears to be the starting area of the game, just very dark and with different enemies

codo27 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

DeathSandwich posted:

Also fun fact: Wear the sunbro covenant and use a red-eyed orb. You jump into a game that already has a red phantom. You team up with said red phantom for some jolly co-operation in slapping the host around.

Don't think that's really true. You probably just invaded a dude that used the finger. I've invaded a few times like that, but there werent other invaders.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Harrow posted:

Probably. Hell, I breezed through it after only playing Dark Souls 1. I still love it, though, probably more than DS1, weirdly enough. (Of course, part of the reason I breezed through might be down to how crazy good the Lava Bow is, but still.)

Yeah, there are a lot of ways to cheese through Demon's Souls. Magic and bows are super OP. The Lava Bow completely trivialized a lot of the game for me. The Maneaters, a notoriously difficult boss, went down stupidly fast. I killed the first one as I walked towards me before it even had the chance to attack.

If I play through it again I'm just going to go straight melee, maybe with some magic or miracles to buff weapons, and a bow strictly to pull enemies. I've always wanted to do a Hiltless 2H run with Adjudicator's Shield on my back.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 14, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Eraflure posted:

I'm guessing you need to kill the black ninja goblins wielding those (the little assholes who cling to walls/ceilings and jump everywhere), but they're not very cooperative.

the guys with hoods like greirat?

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Having a lot of trouble with Dancer. For a while it was obvious I was underleveled because the grab would one-shot me, but even now when I can get to the second phase consistently I can't do much. If I hug the pillars I lose the lock-on, blocking isn't even close to effective, the attack strings are too long to be chain-dodged, and my Halberd R1 is nearly useless since the lock-on point is on the torso. Summons frequently make the fight worse; they die early leaving a tougher boss. Beginning to think it might be worth it to just upgrade a second weapon just for this...

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Try not using lock-on and just aiming yourself at her.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Looks like I'm having to git gud on the very first boss :smith:

I just wanna jolly cooperation my way through like with Last Giant.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Demon's Souls also has by far the friendliest dupe glitch in the entire series.

Pyrolocutus posted:

The tutorial boss, or the one after him?

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

turtlecrunch posted:

Try not using lock-on and just aiming yourself at her.

Will try, but I think I need a different weapon. That or exclusively use R2.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

the guys with hoods like greirat?

Yep those guys.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I was about to post wondering about why I was so drat weak to everything but I forgot about Embers. Wow. Double the health is nice.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Captain Oblivious posted:

Note that reinforcement and infusion are separate things that aren't exclusive. Upgrading a weapon to +5 and then Raw infusing it means you have a Raw +5 weapon. You can use a shriving stone to strip the Raw infusion and replace it with something else. Whatever.

you can also just overwrite infusions, no need to use shriving stones. those are for clearing infusions from a weapon if you for some reason want a pure weapon again

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I did it at about that level maybe 25, you can let onion man do a lot of the work, he's good at distracting it.

Well too late since he's dead.

I beat it by cheesing it in the obvious manner. Never dropped down to the ground, just kept whacking him in the head from the ledge.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol He can actually die then? I'm glad I died before he did on my first go.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Well, I found the Cathedral and Farrons Keep around the same time, and decided that since a certain bonfire appeared later in the list, logically I was meant to do that one second.

Think I've hosed my sidequests.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
these three phantoms think im being a baby and hiding from them in the area with the Giant but LITTLE DO THEY KNOW im being a big baby with the cat ring so i dropped down and im hiding from them in an area in front of them

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So do the crystal lizards have a set drop no matter your item discovery, or is it like in DS1?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cicadalek posted:

I was mainly just wondering if anything had particularly good scaling without requiring a huge amount of stat investment. I'd like to start pumping my int/faith to make use of the bigger pyromancy spells, but if there's a decent chaos weapon I might put some points into str/dex or whatever.

Dude, once again, any weapon can be a good scaling chaos weapon. Find one that has a good moveset, upgrade it to +whatever, and make it chaos; that is now a good chaos scaling weapon. That's the whole point. Weapons that do less damage should be faster hitting so it all balances out more or less. Pick weapons that have cool moves, the rest doesn't matter and comes out in the wash.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

il serpente cosmico posted:

Demon's Souls also has by far the friendliest dupe glitch in the entire series.

The tutorial boss, or the one after him?

Tutorial :smithicide:

Basically trying to dodge-roll out of his leap attacks and counterattacks, but that phase 2 is just killing me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Pyrolocutus posted:

You should just hug the boss during the second phase, and he'll be a lot easier. Don't try anything ranged.

You could also practise parrying on the first phase, since that's apparently fairly easy, not that I've tried it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nuggan posted:

Don't think that's really true. You probably just invaded a dude that used the finger. I've invaded a few times like that, but there werent other invaders.

You're wrong, he's right. There are sunbro invasions and it tries to match you up for co-op. Not always, but you have an increased chance vs if you invade without going sunbro first.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

codo27 posted:

One recurring mechanic, if there is an elevator, you can almost surely step out just before reaching bottom to find goodies/secrets

Yeah, I'm surprised at what I found by hopping off an elevator too early. It was a pretty sizable chunk of Undead Settlement and a lot of people are likely going to miss it.

EDIT: Also, can anyone invite others into the Dark Goons PC Steam group or only the two adminy people?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fatty posted:

Well, I found the Cathedral and Farrons Keep around the same time, and decided that since a certain bonfire appeared later in the list, logically I was meant to do that one second.

Think I've hosed my sidequests.

You didn't gently caress anything that I can think of dude, poo poo doesn't happen until catacombs and that's only one quest.

Don't worry about sidequests your first run or you'll give yourself a brain aneurysm, they're meant for NG+ or a second character when you already know the flow of the game. They're secrets. You always, ALWAYS mess up sidequests on your first run.

But I don't think you even messed anything up! its fine, really!

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Pyrolocutus posted:

Basically trying to dodge-roll out of his leap attacks and counterattacks, but that phase 2 is just killing me.

Just hug and circle strafe him and only attack after he has tried to attack, if you are circling him he will almost always miss except for the leap, that you need to roll away from and then get right back to embracing him.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Oh my god, I invaded a dude in the crucifixion woods that had 2 sunbros and a sunbro invader while I was a mad spirit. The invader sunbro took out one of the sunbros while I took out the other, then he got the host down to 1 hit (and I'm guessing he was out of estus since he didnt heal) and I managed to backstab the invader sunbro to kill him, then before it sent be back to my world I got the last hit in on the host and killed him too. That was incredible. Mad spirit is my favorite thing.

Edit:
Just had another one, same basic setup but the invader and I both lived. Mad spirit rocks.

Zaphod42 posted:

You're wrong, he's right. There are sunbro invasions and it tries to match you up for co-op. Not always, but you have an increased chance vs if you invade without going sunbro first.

I stand corrected then. I thought you could only get 2 invaders if you had used the finger.

Nuggan fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 14, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
okay i am now out of healing but i think they cant be doing much better, plus they need to get past a giant to get to me

maybe the host will die!! i had to kill a blue cop already ive got this

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Are greatswords just total poo poo now or am I invading people with really bad stats/enhancements? I've run into like a dozen people using different greatswords and they all barely hurt.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phoix posted:

Are greatswords just total poo poo now or am I invading people with really bad stats/enhancements? I've run into like a dozen people using different greatswords and they all barely hurt.

Many greatswords aren't very good, at least the ultra ones. Some people really like the Claymore and the Hollowslayer Greatsword, but otherwise they seem weaker than they should be.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Pyrolocutus posted:

It's a bit hard to tell direction since it's a giant snake, but pretty much all the attacks go straight in front of him. Just look at the legs and stay behind him.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Zaphod42 posted:

You didn't gently caress anything that I can think of dude, poo poo doesn't happen until catacombs and that's only one quest.

Don't worry about sidequests your first run or you'll give yourself a brain aneurysm, they're meant for NG+ or a second character when you already know the flow of the game. They're secrets. You always, ALWAYS mess up sidequests on your first run.

But I don't think you even messed anything up! its fine, really!

Eh Yoel died before I got 5 darksign, Yuria hasn't appeared, and I couldn't find Sieg in the well. But you're right, I probably wouldn't end up using any sidequest gear anyway.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i did not "got this".

man 3v1 poo poo is hard.

e: then next invasion i murder a t-model. okay.
e2: after that i kill a blue cop and the host escapes.
then a third one where i killed another blue cop then discovered the host hiding amongst tombstones, as an urn. HOW APPROPRIATE BECAUSE I KILLED HIM.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 14, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nuggan posted:

I stand corrected then. I thought you could only get 2 invaders if you had used the finger.

It may be that you can, but either way the point he was saying is as a sunbro invader you get priority for people who are already invaded. That's the whole point.

Whether the host has to use a finger or not is up for debate, but you as the phantom don't know or care as long as the servers pick somebody who did.

Fatty posted:

Eh Yoel died before I got 5 darksign, Yuria hasn't appeared, and I couldn't find Sieg in the well. But you're right, I probably wouldn't end up using any sidequest gear anyway.

Hm, I wonder if the timing on this is based specifically on level or if its based on time once you talk to them or what, because I felt like it wasn't until after that when things moved forwards. But I guess it was killing Abyss Watchers that did it, I kinda cleared the zone and killed crystal sage and the demon and joined the wolfbros, but then later came back and killed Abyss Watchers. So I guess that is the trigger for some quests. (Hopefully Yuria might show up in a bit?)

But yeah either way, don't sweat it. Gives you something to do next run! :)

Funny enough Sieg in the well never worked for me period, and patches didn't show up where he was supposed to the first time but still showed up in the tower for me. My friend he never even showed up in the tower, so I have no idea what some of the quest triggers are.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 14, 2016

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I've died to this motherfucking big ratdoglizard thing on the Irithyll bridge more than all the bosses I've fought so far combined.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Zaphod42 posted:

It may be that you can, but either way the point he was saying is as a sunbro invader you get priority for people who are already invaded. That's the whole point.

Whether the host has to use a finger or not is up for debate, but you as the phantom don't know or care as long as the servers pick somebody who did.

I actually just got invaded by 2 at once, so using the finger definitely isn't necessary.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm quite pleased the Fume Knight's Ultra Greatsword is back I rather liked smashing dudes with it back in 2.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Holy poo poo, Silver knights are back and they're pissed.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

oh my god i was wrong about pvp this whole time. you just need to be in the purple pound mounds and go to the sacrifice road and go to the third bonfire (the one in the swamp proper) and then use your REO. i was getting invasions almost instantly every time, and getting a ton of 1v1 action. also, by that point in the game, you can also get fun stuff like blue cops and wolf boys up in the mix, and you're all chasing each other around this giant loving swamp! the only thing i don't like is that the game considers the normal swamp and the poison swamp to be one continuous zone so if the host decides to transition from one area to the other and you haven't found them yet, good fuckin luck the areas are huge. one time i found out that the host had moved to the lower, poison swamp because we all got the cutscene for him extinguishing one of the torches for the door!

my favorite fight that i won was a 2v1 that went longer than 15 minutes where i just kept wearing down the host and his sunbro, going guerilla style in and out of the swamp and trying to get them to aggro anything else that i could, and finally once they had burned all their estus and miracles i was able to swoop in while they were fighting a pack of those tree-pole hollows and kill the host. totally worth it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How's the Farron Greatsword for general PvE use? Worth hunting down some Titanite Scales to upgrade or should I hang onto my trusty Longsword?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Can anyone tell me where I'm supposed to be going? I think I'm near the end, I just beat Oceiros and Champion Gundyr and I'm not sure where to go next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Is forcing you out of the game every time you lose connection really a wise design choice?