Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

PT6A posted:

My "violent fantasies"? gently caress off...

If wanting bad things to happen to people who abuse and neglect children is wrong, I don't want to be right. I find it very strange how much defence there seems to be in this thread for such miserable examples of humanity as these parents. I can't read that description of what happened to that poor child without getting really, really angry at any person who would allow it to happen. I have no idea how the rest of you don't feel as angry as I do about this, but I'm pretty loving sure I'm not the broken one here.

It's not even about what should happen to the parents or what your internal thought process and emotional state are immediately after hearing about their criminally negligent behaviour. I actually agree with you more than some of the more liberal posters here saying they don't feel any anger. But this is a politics thread and I don't particularly need to hear somebody else's E/N reaction to what is essentially a tabloid True Crime story. If you find that random news stories are actually inciting feelings of blind rage then keep a diary or maybe start a youtube reaction channel where instead of watching next trailer for Star Wars or Ghost Busters you instead give us your hot take on the latest child abuse stories or which Iraqi village you think should be carpet bombed next.

Your reaction is a completely natural and human response to the needless suffering of an infant. What I'm asking you to do is act like a loving adult and not make your gut reaction the topic of a derail that goes on for pages and pages. Maybe try to confine your comments to things that other people in the thread would actually find interesting or insightful in some way rather than just going "hey guys I had a random thought today, let's see if I can get everyone hot take on whatever random thing floated through my brain today."

Anyway good job on making me ignore my own advice but for gently caress's sake, stop turning this thread into your personal E/N thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Peep 'dat regressive 'Deficit Reduction Levy'

Notice how the right column is arranged so as to imply the rates increase steadily with income, and then check the left column to realize one of those bins is $74 500 - 200 000

Yeah, a $900 levy burden on a $200k earner is totally equivalent to a $300 burden on a $25k earner.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Helsing posted:

It's not even about what should happen to the parents or what your internal thought process and emotional state are immediately after hearing about their criminally negligent behaviour. I actually agree with you more than some of the more liberal posters here saying they don't feel any anger. But this is a politics thread and I don't particularly need to hear somebody else's E/N reaction to what is essentially a tabloid True Crime story. If you find that random news stories are actually inciting feelings of blind rage then keep a diary or maybe start a youtube reaction channel where instead of watching next trailer for Star Wars or Ghost Busters you instead give us your hot take on the latest child abuse stories or which Iraqi village you think should be carpet bombed next.

Your reaction is a completely natural and human response to the needless suffering of an infant. What I'm asking you to do is act like a loving adult and not make your gut reaction the topic of a derail that goes on for pages and pages. Maybe try to confine your comments to things that other people in the thread would actually find interesting or insightful in some way rather than just going "hey guys I had a random thought today, let's see if I can get everyone hot take on whatever random thing floated through my brain today."

Anyway good job on making me ignore my own advice but for gently caress's sake, stop turning this thread into your personal E/N thread.

Fair enough. I will point out that I didn't post that story originally, though.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The federal and provincial governments are all running deficits. Why don't they just raise income tax rates and be done with this constant bleeting.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Because then they would balance budgets and equal conservatives

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

cowofwar posted:

The federal and provincial governments are all running deficits. Why don't they just raise income tax rates and be done with this constant bleeting.

Because the LPC did but apparently we somehow also did a tax break on it?

Also New LPC constitution is up The new membership freeness is section 2.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

bunnyofdoom posted:

No just no that's bad even for you

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Ikantski posted:

Because then they would balance budgets and equal conservatives

I somehow doubt Mulcair would have faced the furious push back he did on balancing the budget if he hadn't also categorically ruled out any income tax increases on both pragmatic and ideological grounds. "We're going to balance the budget, and we'll raise income taxes to do it" is a very different message than "we'll balance the budget no matter what, and higher income taxes would be confiscation so I oppose them as a matter of principle... (p.s. I love Thatcher!)".

The balanced budget pledge was when Mulcair went from playing footsie with conservative leaning voters and straight up jumped the shark.

bunnyofdoom posted:

As I recall it the Liberals very specifically (and incorrectly) advertised the income tax cuts as revenue neutral so that's not even a remotely accurate description of LPC policy. Traditionally when you raise income taxes to help balance the budget you don't end up another billion and change in the fiscal hole.

EDIT - :lol: my lovely title is back. I think that's at least $40 other people have given Lowtax on my behalf in the last two weeks.
EDIT 2 - Though, to be clear, that was very generous of some anonymous benefactors to purchase those neat MLK and wheel pattern avatars for me.

Helsing fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 14, 2016

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

PT6A posted:

Right, I forgot social justice mandates we need to have pity for a bunch of miserable ignorant cunts who let their children die out of pure stupidity.

gently caress you and everyone who thinks, like you, that the life and wellbeing of a child is less important than the beliefs of their parents. I hope you get hit by a semi trailer and get smeared across the pavement. Apologists for child abuse will populate the very deepest circle of hell.

If you actually believe that dumb ignorant retarded people are deserving of death please do this thread a favour and start with yourself.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

jm20 posted:

TAXES TAXES TAXES :kheldragar:

Public sector is largely intact somehow.

Mods? How much does it cost to probate PT6A for 2 weeks?

They're closing four court houses, thats going to be problematic.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Haha, Helsing got probated by fishmech.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
So Gallant has followed NL and is creating bursaries for students from families that make less than $60K.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

El Scotch posted:

They're closing four court houses, thats going to be problematic.

The courthouses they are closing are really out of the way courts and justice has expected their closure since massive cutbacks a few years ago led to the entire prosecutor's office threatening to quit at once.

This budget is extremely regressive. Taxes on gas, HST hike, car insurance tax reinstated, a living levy, and increases on vehicle registration are all to name a view, yet no mention of a new top tax bracket for the province makes me really unhappy for this budget in particular. It is really the incoming liberal government being left with a house that was on fire and no extinguisher around. We had 10 years of public sector spending drastically out pacing provincial growth for the services. It has lead to the province having what I heard was 1/3 people employed in some public sector position, atop a 14.4% unemployment. It is going to be a very rough decade in newfoundland, one that a lot of people are going to see as being very similar to the impact of the cod moratorium.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Newfoundland: shut it down.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The budget stinks and it's infuriating to hear all the 100k earners around me cry the sky is falling when most of the taxes gently caress over the low earners.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

JVNO posted:

Peep 'dat regressive 'Deficit Reduction Levy'

Notice how the right column is arranged so as to imply the rates increase steadily with income, and then check the left column to realize one of those bins is $74 500 - 200 000

Yeah, a $900 levy burden on a $200k earner is totally equivalent to a $300 burden on a $25k earner.

An even better breakdown of how the levy looks based in income.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Newfie posted:

An even better breakdown of how the levy looks based in income.

How did they even come up with these numbers? Just randomly populate a spreadsheet?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
That's so infuriating. Every "flat" bracket is regressive by default. Then there's a bunch of $2500 brackets that jump by $150, but they're much smaller than the flat brackets, so the overall effect is extremely regressive.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Newfie posted:

The courthouses they are closing are really out of the way courts and justice has expected their closure since massive cutbacks a few years ago led to the entire prosecutor's office threatening to quit at once.

I'd they're expecting people to travel to Goose Bay for court they're in for a world of pain.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why are Canadians so attached to the idea that they have the right to live in Bumfuck Nowhere while suffering no negative consequences Just Because?

At least First Nations have the excuse of the reserves being put there. White people are just too loving stubborn to move, as far as I can tell.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Why do people live in Newfoundland?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

A Typical Goon posted:

are you kidding me? have you met the people that live in these shitholes?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I can't wait until the entire country is compressed down to 6 cities having a giant FIRE circlejerk.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
It turns out it's hard to get people to move. NL already went through a few rounds of resettlement in the 50s/60s/70s to reduce the number of small communities.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Don't these guys have advisors or secretaries or something to keep them from arguing with the anonymous hoi polloi on twitter because lol

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

A Typical Goon posted:

I live in PEI and it's about a thousand times better than living in Montreal or Toronto from a quality of life perspective. Six-figs helps. :smug: I live like a king.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

EvilJoven posted:

I can't wait until the entire country is compressed down to 6 cities having a giant FIRE circlejerk.

Canada as a nation makes no sense once we stop being Hewers of Wood and Drawers of Water.

mik posted:

I live in PEI and it's about a thousand times better than living in Montreal or Toronto from a quality of life perspective.

You have a unique definition of quality of life.

Edit: Actually, conflating "I never have to see brown people" with quality of life isn't that unique in Canada.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 14, 2016

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

mik posted:

I live in PEI and it's about a thousand times better than living in Montreal or Toronto from a quality of life perspective. Six-figs helps. :smug: I live like a king.

PEI: better than Toronto and Montreal.

I mean I probably wouldn't live in either city but come the gently caress on

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

mik posted:

I live in PEI and it's about a thousand times better than living in Montreal or Toronto

yet another reason why canadians are dumb a f

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If I made a great income and had internet access I'd love to live in PEI during the summer.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PT6A posted:

Right, I forgot social justice mandates we need to have pity for a bunch of miserable ignorant cunts who let their children die out of pure stupidity.

gently caress you and everyone who thinks, like you, that the life and wellbeing of a child is less important than the beliefs of their parents. I hope you get hit by a semi trailer and get smeared across the pavement. Apologists for child abuse will populate the very deepest circle of hell.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Also friendly reminder that this is all coming from the guy who thinks it's perfectly okay to show up to work hammered and murder a dude because you're a loving idiot because it's an unavoidable tragedy and nobody could have done anything about it and oh the poor dear does he feel bad about being held responsible for his actions? Oh poor baby.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jordan7hm posted:

If I made a great income and had internet access I'd love to live in PEI during the summer.

Yes, but the point is you can't unless you're offering professional services in one of the aforementioned cities because no one wants anything from PEI.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/gmbutts/status/558031167837179906

Indeed, Mister Butts. Indeed.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I can't stop acting stupid, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm retarded, or enjoy pretending to

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Not everyone thinks that the best thing in life is going back and forth from their office tower to their apartment complex via subway in Toronto. I had that and I hated it so much I moved to Winnipeg to escape

poo poo, now I'm looking at giving up my office tower for a grain elevator full time, if I can swing it. I'd move from Winnipeg to somewhere smaller if I could convince my wife to come with me.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

Why are Canadians so attached to the idea that they have the right to live in Bumfuck Nowhere while suffering no negative consequences Just Because?

At least First Nations have the excuse of the reserves being put there. White people are just too loving stubborn to move, as far as I can tell.

Some people tell you to move to Buttfuck BC so you can afford housing

on the other you have people saying you have no right to affordably live in Buttfuck Anywhere because it's too remote

which is it you fucks?!

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
living in a grain elevator would rule, youd be some kinda hosed up prairie vampire in yer wheat belfry

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

El Scotch posted:

I'd they're expecting people to travel to Goose Bay for court they're in for a world of pain.

Yeah, we're likely going to have video appearances happening for a lot of these cases to deal with that.

cowofwar posted:

How did they even come up with these numbers? Just randomly populate a spreadsheet?
No idea, but that huge break at the top is loving infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falloutboy
Jul 8, 2003
Sage advice from Harper's son.

http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/columnists/harper-and-vera-fiscal-malpractice-history-shows-this-is-no-time-to-be-racking-up-deficits