Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Teddles posted:

Is forcing you out of the game every time you lose connection really a wise design choice?

It's one of those things that's been in every game in the series as far as I know, and I've never really understood why unless there's some background thing that requires that you start a new game session to switch between online/offline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Cathedral question: Giants killable?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

My chargen was bugged and didn't update what I looked like so I've had the boring default face all game. Just found the place where you can respec/remake yourself though.

Waluigi time.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Cathedral question: Giants killable?

Yes, soon

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Mr E posted:

Yes, soon

Soon? Explain.

Edit: Well not, explicitly.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Any advice for Oceiros, the Consumed King? I'm using an Estoc +8 and this is the first boss I'm getting genuinely hosed off with. He seems to combine all the camera fuckery of Bloodborne's Cleric Beast - shooting off across the other side of the arena, only to bounce back as soon as I get near him, repeat ad infintum - with all the spazzing out of the Bloodletting Beast.

I have his first phase down to perfection but his second one is just so unpredictable. I'm doing my damndest to keep out from under his belly, which seems to trigger the aforementioned leaping attack, but he flips his poo poo and clips through the arena which puts him over me, which then kicks off his leaping, which then makes him flip out again, etc etc. It's immensely annoying as one or two hits is enough to kill me and he's aggressive to the point where healing isn't an option.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

oh

the shrine handmaiden's inventory doesn't carry over into NG+

that's loving lovely as hell.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Early game invasions are really unfun for the most part, it is almost always a 3-4 v 1. Ugh.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Coolwhoami posted:

Early game invasions are really unfun for the most part, it is almost always a 3-4 v 1. Ugh.

You should be able to summon purples when you're in a host's world.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Just finished it. A good game. Now to do so 50 more times.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Soon? Explain.

Edit: Well not, explicitly.

I took my time and fought the first one by baiting the double fist attack and cutting up his arms. The other one I just ran past and ignored. Dunno if there's a right way of doing it though :v:

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Someone invaded me with a superfancy weapon that seemed to have a weird wide arc triple slash as its weapon art. This sound familiar to anyone? I want that weapon. Stance might be utilitarian but flashy it ain't.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Tamayachi posted:

I took my time and fought the first one by baiting the double fist attack and cutting up his arms. The other one I just ran past and ignored. Dunno if there's a right way of doing it though :v:

Yeah the second one is my focus because of all the items around him, but the mire he's in sucks to be in.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
https://www.facebook.com/arbys/photos/p.10154196278056812/10154196278056812/?type=3&theater

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Harrow posted:

How's the Farron Greatsword for general PvE use? Worth hunting down some Titanite Scales to upgrade or should I hang onto my trusty Longsword?
While I can't really judge its damage (since I used all my exceedingly rare Scales on the Hollowslayer), it seems to be fairly versatile at least, since it effectively has a third basic attack in addition to R1/2's. You can even skip parts of its "breakdance" combo by pre-emting it with one or two R1's.

... the longsword is probably still better though. :v:

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yeah the second one is my focus because of all the items around him, but the mire he's in sucks to be in.

I get the feeling that those are really just going to be fading souls or something not worthwhile, with maybe one outfit or weapon mixed in.

So why did my pilgrim die? I talked to him once to get him to join my caravan, but never again. Did he die from lack of social stimuli? Did I need to feed him or take him for walkies?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I realized that I could "play" invasions like camping ratting systems in EVE, via chameleon/white branches, and a whole new world of low effort griefing was open to me.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
So I'm making a low level invader now that I've beaten the game with one character. I have tongues and got the 5 red orbs from that npc but now he's just missing from firelink.
Any reason for this? How do I make him come back so I can get the key for infinite funtimes?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I just had the saddest Wolf Bro invasion ever. Came into the game with me vs. the host and 2 phantoms. They had just killing a giant crab, and the host was at the tiniest sliver of health. For some reason, he picks this moment to do a jump for joy emote. I spawn literally 5 feet away from him, sprint up and slap him with my claymore as he tries a panicked hail mary roll. I almost feel bad.

The Gorp posted:

So I'm making a low level invader now that I've beaten the game with one character. I have tongues and got the 5 red orbs from that npc but now he's just missing from firelink.
Any reason for this? How do I make him come back so I can get the key for infinite funtimes?

Have you killed the boss in Undead Settlement? That + having a tongue seems to be the trigger to bring him back.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 14, 2016

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Frankston posted:

I've died to this motherfucking big ratdoglizard thing on the Irithyll bridge more than all the bosses I've fought so far combined.

The first time I saw that thing it made me think of that one boss from Super Metroid

It's even on a bridge!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

The Gorp posted:

I think you need to visit the bonfire underneath the center building in settlement, or kill tree dude as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Minrad posted:

I realized that I could "play" invasions like camping ratting systems in EVE, via chameleon/white branches, and a whole new world of low effort griefing was open to me.

Invading and using chameleon / items to disguise as an object is definitely one of the most fun things you can do in souls.

Another is to put on the armor of an enemy to cosplay as them, put on the ring that hides your phantom status, and then stand around pretending to be a regular enemy until the host walks by :haw:

The Gorp posted:

He pops in and out. I think you need to either do some invading, get invaded, or get a little further in the game, and then he'll pop back in and give you the key you need.

NPC triggers are cryptic as hell, cuz dark souls.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I just had the saddest Wolf Bro invasion ever. Came into the game with me vs. the host and 2 phantoms. They had just killing a giant crab, and the host was at the tiniest sliver of health. For some reason, he picks this moment to do a jump for joy emote. I spawn literally 5 feet away from him, sprint up and slap him with my claymore as he tries a panicked hail mary roll. I almost feel bad.

never feel bad, they would have loving cornered you and beat you to death with their dumb sticks and then spent 10 minutes gesturing at each other in an ouroboros of disgusting affirmation

the only time i didn't play like a huge dick when invading was when i found this poor afk fellow and left him some pretty lights and an ember

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Frankston posted:

I've died to this motherfucking big ratdoglizard thing on the Irithyll bridge more than all the bosses I've fought so far combined.

Killed him first try :smuggo:

I did use like 7 flasks though no joke.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Tamayachi posted:

I get the feeling that those are really just going to be fading souls or something not worthwhile, with maybe one outfit or weapon mixed in.

Most likely they are, but I want them. :shepicide:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

My chargen was bugged and didn't update what I looked like so I've had the boring default face all game. Just found the place where you can respec/remake yourself though.

Waluigi time.

Are you allowed to change your name, or just your appearance? (And stats)

Either way being able to change post-creation is great and should be in all games.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Most likely they are, but I want them. :shepicide:

They're worthwhile

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Help Im Alive posted:

Can anyone tell me where I'm supposed to be going? I think I'm near the end, I just beat Oceiros and Champion Gundyr and I'm not sure where to go next

From dancer bonfire go up the ladder then straight instead of left like you would to get to ignorant slaves

I don't understand, does this mean I can get an aldrich special at Arby's?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Tutorial :smithicide:

Basically trying to dodge-roll out of his leap attacks and counterattacks, but that phase 2 is just killing me.

What class are you playing as? If you roll a knight, you can tank pretty much all of his attacks with your shield. Just be sure to watch your stamina.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Harrow posted:

It's one of those things that's been in every game in the series as far as I know, and I've never really understood why unless there's some background thing that requires that you start a new game session to switch between online/offline.

Considering there's a value in memory you can change to immediately flip you offline/online... what does your heart tell you?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Which path is easiest, the one past Crystal Sage or the one past Abyss Watchers? I'm level 38 right now.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Panty Saluter posted:

Don't worry, it gets better worse

it happened
that was a p big spooky cat in the cathedral imo

and then it happened again

:killdozer:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the tutorial boss as deprived was really difficult.

the trick that got me through it was really the observation that A. my shield was worthless and B. if youre far enough away he likes to do a jumping lunge you can roll from and that is a lot easier to deal with than trying to do perfect dodge rolls.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

If you mean Watchdog of Farron, that's just the name given to everyone who invades as part of that particular Covenant. I wasn't sure the first time, either, and I would have thought it was just an NPC if not for the gesture use and the attempts to bait me out into the swamp to get smashed.

No it was "dexterous dina" or diva or something. If you put a space in your name and nothing gets **'ed out I don't believe you're human.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Look at how happy all those guys on the left are. C'mon fellas, let's do the W~A~V~E

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh my god what is it with people fighting the boss of the Smouldering Lake. Every loving time we get him down to his last ditch explosion, I run the gently caress away, and they just stay there and get blown to bits.

:psyduck:

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Daynab posted:

Which path is easiest, the one past Crystal Sage or the one past Abyss Watchers? I'm level 38 right now.

I did CS first and feel that one is easier

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So do you have to be in the forest to get summoned by the Wolves' covenant? I've been exploring the catacombs with it on and never got summoned.

Could just be a level range thing I guess?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

PvP talk - has anyone had succes on low-level characters invading? All I've found is babbies who have 1 or 2 white phantom meatshields (and I'm not effective enough to get around those).

Alternatively what strategies exist to get through/around those guys? Pyromancies? Firebombs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh my god what is it with people fighting the boss of the Smouldering Lake. Every loving time we get him down to his last ditch explosion, I run the gently caress away, and they just stay there and get blown to bits.

:psyduck:

I killed him and didn't even notice he did this, I guess he died fast enough it didn't finish?