Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

If anything, it makes it a more powerful statement. Luke isn't just reaffirming that Darth Vader still has some good in him, but that the Jedi do as well.

Or just like every other movie in the series they didn't plan ahead for more movies so it makes less sense in hindsight

Hopefully they thought through 8 and 9 enough not to have to do this again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I am pretty sure they've thought something through. They clearly plan to shove some kind of Star Wars poo poo down everyone's throat every year for as long as they can get away with it.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
My throat is lubed and ready

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

hhhat posted:

Or just like every other movie in the series they didn't plan ahead for more movies so it makes less sense in hindsight

Hopefully they thought through 8 and 9 enough not to have to do this again

They didn't have to plan for it. The OT already establishes that the Jedi had fallen.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Like, early Jedis must have been a pain in the Republic's rear end, like those peasant rebellions led by sohri monkd in Japan. It makes sense for the Republic to force structure on them and put them to the dervice of the State, resulting in the dmow ossfication and decay of the Jedi.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah it's being pedantic to say "Well the jedi organization sucked so he shouldn't have said that". Context is important. He obviously doesn't also mean exactly "like his father" unless he's planning on turning to the dark side for a few decades.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah it's being pedantic to say "Well the jedi organization sucked so he shouldn't have said that". Context is important. He obviously doesn't also mean exactly "like his father" unless he's planning on turning to the dark side for a few decades.

Maybe he did, and that's why he went into hiding.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I hope Disney de-canonizes the prequels and reimagines them with a better story, dialogue, etc. If we can get a new Spider-Man every few years we shouldn't have to tolerate a lovely Star Wars trilogy.

Everything George Lucas has done since 1983 is objectively awful.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
That would be so badass and I'm totally fine since didn't Lucas sell to Disney, then call them Nazis? Dude is a fuckin joke.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

MrMojok posted:

I am pretty sure they've thought something through. They clearly plan to shove some kind of Star Wars poo poo down everyone's throat every year for as long as they can get away with it.

Yeah, how dare they.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

High Lord Elbow posted:

If we can get a new Spider-Man every few years we shouldn't have to tolerate a lovely Star Wars trilogy.

I guess they'll remake TFA as well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Might as well remake the OT while we're at it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The prequel trilogy is going to be remade. :peanut:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

site posted:

Might as well remake the OT while we're at it.
I thought Lucas already did that :downsrim:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'd be fine with movies set well before the OT, but the origin story of Darth Vader was a bad enough idea the first time around, there's no need to do it again.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
It'd be kinda neat to see a pre-prequel trilogy chronicling how the Jedi could go from wandering do-gooders to servants of a galaxy-spanning government. Follow the viewpoints of a Jedi Master and their young apprentice as the Jedi slowly metamorphose into a strict "order" under the thumb of the Republic because the galactic Senate is like "God dammit, we can't have these warrior monks just running around doing whatever they please! What of their idea of "justice" is different from ours?"

You could have a generational conflict, too. Maybe the master thinks the Jedi becoming an institution and adhering to a strict Order is good, and the apprentice is a free spirit who doesn't want to answer to The Man. Or maybe the master starts pining for the Good Old Days of Going Around and Righting Wrongs, and the apprentice wants a more structured Jedi lifestyle with health benefits and a space 401k.

But it would have a lot of political maneuvering, so any Star Wars fans still sore over the PT and trade negotiations might react poorly.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Honestly the Darth comic is more about him becoming Vader than the movies were. They are really fun and good.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I still think one of the only video games in history worthy of a feature film is KOTOR

I mean they'd have to change it a bunch but the central idea was pretty nifty

Plus sith

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

hhhat posted:

I still think one of the only video games in history worthy of a feature film is KOTOR

I mean they'd have to change it a bunch but the central idea was pretty nifty

Plus sith

The Jedi being more evil than the Sith seems redundant at this point.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

rear end Catchcum posted:

That would be so badass and I'm totally fine since didn't Lucas sell to Disney, then call them Nazis? Dude is a fuckin joke.

he's not wrong

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Well Manicured Man posted:

It'd be kinda neat to see a pre-prequel trilogy chronicling how the Jedi could go from wandering do-gooders to servants of a galaxy-spanning government. Follow the viewpoints of a Jedi Master and their young apprentice as the Jedi slowly metamorphose into a strict "order" under the thumb of the Republic because the galactic Senate is like "God dammit, we can't have these warrior monks just running around doing whatever they please! What of their idea of "justice" is different from ours?"

You could have a generational conflict, too. Maybe the master thinks the Jedi becoming an institution and adhering to a strict Order is good, and the apprentice is a free spirit who doesn't want to answer to The Man. Or maybe the master starts pining for the Good Old Days of Going Around and Righting Wrongs, and the apprentice wants a more structured Jedi lifestyle with health benefits and a space 401k.

But it would have a lot of political maneuvering, so any Star Wars fans still sore over the PT and trade negotiations might react poorly.

The whole point is that it's a really gradual thing though. Like Yoda apparently was well indoctrinated in the PT Jedi style and he's 900 years old.

Having it be a sudden shift just leads people to say "oh if only [bad person] hadn't existed then the world would be good!" Instead of "without constant vigilance we can slip into a corrupt and fragile society".

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Honestly the Darth comic is more about him becoming Vader than the movies were. They are really fun and good.

um actually it is in fact pretty bad

e: to back up my point this is the comic that evil C3PO+R2D2 and the cross between admiral ackbar & general grievous comes from

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The funny thing about KOTOR is, despite the fact that it takes place 2000 years before the OT (or however long ago), the Sith were still already defeated a long time before hand. The current "Sith" from that era just adopted the name of the ancient people who's philosophy and stylistic trappings they adopted.

It's like the Sith can't actually exist in Star Wars. They can only ever be a legend that occasionally inspires pretenders.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

But it's Ok to be on Nazi payroll?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are those on Marvel U? I signed up for it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I'm not sure! I just buy single issues because I like collecting/wasting money. If marvel U has everything than I'm sure they are up there. Not sure how MU works tbh

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

euphronius posted:

Are those on Marvel U? I signed up for it.

I think marvel u is six months behind on releases or something weird like that (I don't use it personally) so you may have to look elsewhere.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Well, he'd have plenty to read. The comics have been coming out for a bit.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Tender Bender posted:

I disagree with the notion that two decades of experience reflecting on and experiencing the rot of the dark side played no impact in the most important decision in the trilogy, but even if we take your word for it: what about that necessitates photoshopping out the original actor who played the character five minutes earlier in favor of a 25 year old man who is not in any of the movies?

We kind of drifted away from that topic. It makes more sense that way because Anakin was lying dormant within Vader for 23 years before reappearing. Therefore, when he returns, he is going to look as he did in ROTS. Also, I think you will find Hayden Christensen is actually in two other Star Wars movies where he plays a fairly important and prominent role.

Neurolimal posted:

There's no such thing as an experience you learn nothing from. A redeemed Vader is a Vader that can share his journey to the dark side, its temptations, and the realities of being a Sith.

Vader couldn't tell you anything of worth about those things, because he was spiritually dead inside and a mental and emotional puppet of the dark side. Anakin, on the other hand, could tell you a lot about those things, but only after he had emerged from within Vader where he had been lying dormant for 23 years.

There are two personas we're talking about here. It's a central metaphor of the series. Anakin was frozen in suspended animation within Vader just as Han Solo was frozen in suspended animation within the carbonite. Lucas himself draws an explicit connection between the two here. They were both trapped within cold, unfeeling metal. They were both frozen in time at a moment of intense, soul-wrenching pain, their faces transformed into rigid death masks.They both "died" and were then "reborn" after being saved by the love of another.

If you tried asking the frozen slab of carbonite how it felt about its existence, it would be unable to give you an answer, because it wouldn't be alive. The same goes for Vader. Once Han emerged from the carbonite, you could ask him, but all he'd be able to tell you about is the excruciating moment of spiritual pain before his soul was extinguished, extending into infinity. The same would go for Anakin, once he emerged from Vader. But neither of them will have aged a day; they pick up in their new lives right where they left off in the old ones.

A lot of people choose to reject the spiritual truth of the metaphorical Anakin/Vader split, but in doing so you're imposing your own views on the text. That's fine, but they're Lucas's movies. It's not his job to preserve your misunderstanding of his intent.

quote:

In the special edition Anakin is not redeemed, only the memory of his youth. Half his life was spent as Vader, if you refuse to acknowledge that then you're only remembering a select few good moments in his life.

Again, then, he should look exactly like this as a ghost:

It makes no more sense to show him as a rejuvenated Sebastian Shaw than it does to show him as a rejuvenated Hayden Christensen, if that's the way you feel. You can't have it both ways. Are you arguing that the original version of the ghost was a mistake as well?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Re: vader ghost

Why wasnt Obi-wan replaced by Ewan MacGregor?

Why wasn't Yoda replaced by stoned yoda?

Because the special editions are stupid beyond repair

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

hhhat posted:

Re: vader ghost

Why wasnt Obi-wan replaced by Ewan MacGregor?

Why wasn't Yoda replaced by stoned yoda?

Because the special editions are stupid beyond repair

Why don't you read my posts where I specifically address that question? It's not really that hard to figure out, even if you disagree with the logic. Can you think of one major difference between Anakin on the one hand, and Obi-Wan and Yoda on the other? You know, regarding their souls and everything?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Cnut the Great posted:

Why don't you read my posts where I specifically address that question?

Because I really didn't want to

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

hhhat posted:

Because I really didn't want to

Okay. Then there is no answer. Thank you for your contribution.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
For pt reboot there are some arcs in Clone Wars that might be salvageable, but I agree it would probably be better to go to some earlier time.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

There are two personas we're talking about here. It's a central metaphor of the series. Anakin was frozen in suspended animation within Vader just as Han Solo was frozen in suspended animation within the carbonite. Lucas himself draws an explicit connection between the two here. They were both trapped within cold, unfeeling metal. They were both frozen in time at a moment of intense, soul-wrenching pain, their faces transformed into rigid death masks.They both "died" and were then "reborn" after being saved by the love of another.

Vader isn't trapped within metal, it's plainly plastic. He's not a death mask, like Han's frozen face of agony, he's a skull. Yes, both he and Han pass through a state of death and are returned, bot where Han is returned by Leia's love, Vader is returned through the emperor's evil. Vader isn't reborn in RotJ, he loving dies right after Luke inspires him to redeem himself. You're misreading things.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Sir Kodiak posted:

Vader isn't trapped within metal, it's plainly plastic. He's not a death mask, like Han's frozen face of agony, he's a skull. Yes, both he and Han pass through a state of death and are returned, bot where Han is returned by Leia's love, Vader is returned through the emperor's evil. Vader isn't reborn in RotJ, he loving dies right after Luke inspires him to redeem himself. You're misreading things.

I'm afraid I can't tell if you're joking or not, this thread being what it is.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

I'm afraid I can't tell if you're joking or not, this thread being what it is.

I'm not, you really are wrong.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

"Imposing your own views on the text" is literally what every single CD thread in the history of this site has been about, though. At least with Lucas he has actually made some comments about what his intent was. A lot of directors don't.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm not, you really are wrong.

Then I don't even know how to respond. You win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

Then I don't even know how to respond. You win.

Okay. Thank you for your contribution.

• Locked thread