Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Meanwhile, I finally got around to picking up Lolita: The Musical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What's the Audio Technica turntable that gets recommended all the time? Someone at work needs to get one and I can't remember the model.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

LP-120

I've got one and it's been great so far, pretty much an sl-1200 knockoff.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Same here, I really like it. My previous frame of reference is whatever my family had back in the 80's but the LP-120 works perfectly well. The only feature that might be nice to have is auto return.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Ok so I'm confused. A few pages back there was a link to Constellation's website with GY!BE's f#A#∞ reissue that had "1997-1998" debossed next to the album name. Is that how all reissues are? And if so, why is mine different?

It did have a little sticker on the sleeve that said "original 1997 LP" but that's about it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Limited edition pressing of 100 for the US tour out of 500 in total.

Last night's show was a goddamned massacre, it was so good.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

drat, didn't realize that this was going to be a thing at their tour. I'll be at their NYC show on the 26th. Can't wait!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

Are any of the current Residents original Residents? I know they sort of have secret identities but I figure that's a thing super fans must know.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

caligulamprey posted:

That's cool. How was the show? I'm up in the air on going to see it when it comes to town.

Pooper Trooper posted:

Ok so I'm confused. A few pages back there was a link to Constellation's website with GY!BE's f#A#∞ reissue that had "1997-1998" debossed next to the album name. Is that how all reissues are? And if so, why is mine different?

I just checked my copy (same reissue) and it doesnt have that year emboss either. :shrug:

Giga Gaia fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 14, 2016

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Are any of the current Residents original Residents? I know they sort of have secret identities but I figure that's a thing super fans must know.
I'll level with you in the most basic non-spoiley way, but I still feel weird just writing it, but...

The original four broke up after The Mole Tour, two people left in 1983. Since then, it's been the duo up until last October when the main music writer retired from touring with the insistence that he would still be responsible for writing of the music. About three months ago he posted a Facebook letter detailing that he was leaving the group for good, not even writing the music anymore, he chose to break off completely. He was able to choose his replacement and that's who's on the tour right now. Long story short: we're down to one original member, the Singing Resident, Mr. Skull and now going under the name Randy Rose.

Giga Gaia posted:

That's cool. How was the show? I'm up in the air on going to see it when it comes to town.
I went to both the Portland and Seattle show and to be honest, I wasn't 100% sure in Portland. I enjoyed it, but it still felt like an alien experience, even moreso than usual and I just couldn't disassociate myself from the fact that who was onstage was not who I wanted on stage.

Seattle blew down the loving house and was as good as they've ever been. Truly a Residents show, even when comparing it to the first show I saw (Demons Dance Alone in 2002) that had a full band including Molly Harvey. There's just so much more... For lack of a better term "professional musicianship" with the new member that they were able to pull off some truly beautiful, haunting moments that left me dumbfounded.

If they manage to keep up that level of energy, there's no doubt in my mind: see this show. The singer just celebrated his 71st or 72nd birthday, I would not be surprised if this is the last hurrah.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 15, 2016

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is there a good jumping in point for The Residents? One of those bands that I've always been meaning to check out, but never get around to doing it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Enos Cabell posted:

Is there a good jumping in point for The Residents? One of those bands that I've always been meaning to check out, but never get around to doing it.
I find their album with Renaldo and the Loaf (Title in Limbo) to be a really good entry point, which is odd because the album doesn't sound like either The Residents or Renaldo and the Loaf, not too overboard when it comes to the weird.

Demons Dance Alone is their sweetest, most sincere, melancholy album they recorded, like, two weeks after 9/11 when they we on tour.

Not Available is my favorite album of all time, not just my favorite Residents album. It's otherworldly to the point that I can't imagine it being recorded by 4 human beings in a studio on the planet Earth. It was recorded and locked in a vault, the band deciding it would never be released until they forgot of its existence. It's intense, the production is primordial and thickly textured, but Not Available is the deep end of the pool. The stand-outs on the tour were definitely the Not Availavle excerpts.

Goddamn, I'm 100% sure I've gone on these tangents in this thread before and have probably said the exact same loving things. Oops.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 15, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Dammit, some jackass spammed his poorly worded Craigslist ad all over the site and I was all excited because I thought he had a ton of killer punk LPs for sale:

I was thinking about it all during my work shift today, wondering what sort of offer I should make on it until I read the fine print. "LP's gone", which I earlier interpreted as meaning "First come first served until LP's are gone". But nope, taken alongside the "45s only" text at top he's selling a bunch of 45s, but his picture is still of the huge LP lot.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Dammit, some jackass spammed his poorly worded Craigslist ad all over the site and I was all excited because I thought he had a ton of killer punk LPs for sale:

I was thinking about it all during my work shift today, wondering what sort of offer I should make on it until I read the fine print. "LP's gone", which I earlier interpreted as meaning "First come first served until LP's are gone". But nope, taken alongside the "45s only" text at top he's selling a bunch of 45s, but his picture is still of the huge LP lot.

You should probably check out the 45 lot anyway because it could be of the same quality as that LP collection.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

I find their album with Renaldo and the Loaf (Title in Limbo) to be a really good entry point, which is odd because the album doesn't sound like either The Residents or Renaldo and the Loaf, not too overboard when it comes to the weird.

Demons Dance Alone is their sweetest, most sincere, melancholy album they recorded, like, two weeks after 9/11 when they we on tour.

Not Available is my favorite album of all time, not just my favorite Residents album. It's otherworldly to the point that I can't imagine it being recorded by 4 human beings in a studio on the planet Earth. It was recorded and locked in a vault, the band deciding it would never be released until they forgot of its existence. It's intense, the production is primordial and thickly textured, but Not Available is the deep end of the pool. The stand-outs on the tour were definitely the Not Availavle excerpts.

Goddamn, I'm 100% sure I've gone on these tangents in this thread before and have probably said the exact same loving things. Oops.

My excitement for this show just reached another level. Not Available is one of my favorite albums ever and I NEVER expected to see it performed live in any capacity.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Hah, hopefully it wasn't me asking before, but I wouldn't be surprised. Just listened to Not Available and it was pretty loving amazing. Also, am I crazy or did the Dust Brothers sample Part Four: Never Known Questions on the Fight Club soundtrack?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I tried to give Not Available a listen and it's now more obvious than ever that I'm just a verse-chorus-verse philistine because I could not make it through more than the first two songs or so.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Barry posted:

I tried to give Not Available a listen and it's now more obvious than ever that I'm just a verse-chorus-verse philistine because I could not make it through more than the first two songs or so.

try demons dance alone, its much easier listening. as far as the residents go anyway.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36040746?SThisFB

which one of you is this

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

snakeandbake posted:

which one of you is this

all of us

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I died a little inside hearing Tupac and Dr. Dre referred to as "really old school hip hop".

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Enos Cabell posted:

I died a little inside hearing Tupac and Dr. Dre referred to as "really old school hip hop".
Some friends my age (35) are now unironically yelling about how current-day rap music is "just noise" and "not even music."

AKA Word-for-word the exact same thing everyone's parents said about Rap music in 1994. The cyclical nature of culture is hilarious.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I hate these people a lot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

caligulamprey posted:

Some friends my age (35) are now unironically yelling about how current-day rap music is "just noise" and "not even music."

AKA Word-for-word the exact same thing everyone's parents said about Rap music in 1994. The cyclical nature of culture is hilarious.

Wonder if he was talking about Death Grips. They'd take it as a compliment.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

caligulamprey posted:

I'm the same age and most of my friends are the same way. "Good music these days is so hard to find." "Nobody is making anything good anymore"

It has never been easier. Just open spotify and click around rather than listening to Superunknown for the ten thousandth time

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Pooper Trooper posted:

It did have a little sticker on the sleeve that said "original 1997 LP" but that's about it.

That would be because the CD version came out in '98 and is different than the vinyl version, but that is really odd looking. You can probably just find OG versions in stores; Constellation and Godspeed/related acts are always in all stores I visit but are much more expensive than on the label's store for some reason...

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Barry posted:

I'm the same age and most of my friends are the same way. "Good music these days is so hard to find." "Nobody is making anything good anymore"

It has never been easier. Just open spotify and click around rather than listening to Superunknown for the ten thousandth time

Never!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Speaking of obsolete audio media that I don't own a device to play on, here are my latest cassette purchases.

Count Bass D - Instantly New

His first full length LP in about four years, although calling it an album is a tad generous, as it's like, 25 minutes long. No sampling on this, his beats are all home-grown. I like it, but it's not his best.

Butcher Brown - Grown Folk

I love the poo poo out of Devonne Harris/DJ Harrison, who seems to put out a new album every other week. This is a fantastic beat tape. It even comes printed on colored wax plastic!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

WASDF posted:

That would be because the CD version came out in '98 and is different than the vinyl version, but that is really odd looking. You can probably just find OG versions in stores; Constellation and Godspeed/related acts are always in all stores I visit but are much more expensive than on the label's store for some reason...

the original release of f#a# was numbered but they basically look the same. i have never seen one with 97-98 on the cover though

this was my first rsd since 2013 and i got what i wanted :captainpop:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

I wish I ever got that in real life just so I could go "no, THIS is noise!"

I wouldn't even go that hard on them, since I'm not into HNW or power electronics or anything like that. Probably just play some Boris.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I saw a few things on the RSD list I'd like but nothing worth dealing with the crowds for. I hope everyone leaves with a Werewolves of London picture disc though.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

strap on revenge posted:

the original release of f#a# was numbered but they basically look the same. i have never seen one with 97-98 on the cover though

this was my first rsd since 2013 and i got what i wanted :captainpop:

My store got a ton of stuff in, but not that Mew album :mad:

I also missed out on the John Grant - Queen of Denmark as they only got one copy (but something like a dozen copies of a Florence and the Machine 12" lmao)

I ended up buying Superchunk - Tossing Seeds, Metz/Mission of Burma split, that Run the Jewels VR viewer, and the new Drones album, though not an RSD item, it just kicks arse

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

apparently the store i went to got a few copies of it. i wish it wasn't such a crapshoot (though said store also put a list of what they had on their facebook otherwise i wouldn't have bothered)

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

caligulamprey posted:

I went to both the Portland and Seattle show and to be honest, I wasn't 100% sure in Portland. I enjoyed it, but it still felt like an alien experience, even moreso than usual and I just couldn't disassociate myself from the fact that who was onstage was not who I wanted on stage.

Seattle blew down the loving house and was as good as they've ever been. Truly a Residents show, even when comparing it to the first show I saw (Demons Dance Alone in 2002) that had a full band including Molly Harvey. There's just so much more... For lack of a better term "professional musicianship" with the new member that they were able to pull off some truly beautiful, haunting moments that left me dumbfounded.

If they manage to keep up that level of energy, there's no doubt in my mind: see this show. The singer just celebrated his 71st or 72nd birthday, I would not be surprised if this is the last hurrah.

Thanks; I was mulling over going to the show here on Monday and you convinced me to do it. I've never gone to a show alone but my wife is working nights the next two months and if I'm gonna go to a show alone, might as well go full weird and do a Residents show.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Going to a concert alone is rivaled only in awesomeness by going to a movie alone.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wonder if he was talking about Death Grips. They'd take it as a compliment.
Initially it was Odd Future of all things but yeah, Death Grips is definitely the current act making friends run for the goddamn hills in terror and confusion.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Doctor Cave posted:

My store got a ton of stuff in, but not that Mew album :mad:

I also missed out on the John Grant - Queen of Denmark as they only got one copy (but something like a dozen copies of a Florence and the Machine 12" lmao)

I ended up buying Superchunk - Tossing Seeds, Metz/Mission of Burma split, that Run the Jewels VR viewer, and the new Drones album, though not an RSD item, it just kicks arse

https://www.discogs.com/seller/mobydiscrecords/profile?q=mew

this guy has and the glass handed kites for $58AU shipped, i had to pay $55 anyway

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I told myself I was just going to be going from store to store catching the sets I wanted to see but then I remembered local hip-hop artist Dem Atlas has a limited run of his album each with hand drawn covers and here I am getting ready to sit in front of a store before it opens.

does anyone know if they re-issued the gently caress the police badge or something cause the store had a bunch of them and since I'm free to gimmicks they have one less of them now.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 16, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gravel Gravy posted:

I saw a few things on the RSD list I'd like but nothing worth dealing with the crowds for.

I already traded in a stack of records (I bought a cheap lot out of a storage unit a month or so ago) for credit at the store I plan on going to today so I'm committed, but I kinda feel like if I show up and there's a line out the door I'm just turning around and leaving to spend that credit some other day. I kind of want that Xiu Xiu Performs Twin Peaks record and maybe GWAR and The Residents, beyond that it's just stuff I kinda wouldn't mind having but could pass on.

That Piero Umiliani soundtrack has some really good tracks on it, but I doubt the record store I'm going to is going to have it since it's probably super-limited. It's not that hard of a record to find anyways, you can import a previous release of it for about what the rerelease is going to cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

My RSD pickups:

J Dilla - The Diary It was my main target and it was still sold out from the place I stood in line for two hours at (I was number 54 in line jfc). But I then went to a second store after things had died down a bit and they had about 5 copies just chilling on the shelf. Such is life.

Then there are my semi-impulse buys:

The Residents - Please Do Not Steal It! I blame all of you for this.

The Skeleton Dance 10" Because why not? I didn't grab the full Disney songs album, which I saw a lot of people jump on. Just skeletons for me, please.

David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World picture disc Just one of those albums that was always sitting on my "to-buy" list and there it was for :20bux:

Miles Davis / Bilal - Ghetto Walkin' This is one of those records I could've picked up in six months for 8 dollars in the RSD clearance bin but oh well. I like Miles and Bilal, so I was curious.

I did show some restraint! The Hello Kitty picture disc seems like a fun novelty record, but not for 24 bucks. There was also a Now-Again box set on long-lost Nigerian rock music that I will probably eventually regret not grabbing. Finally there was a Dogfish Head "music to drink beer to" comp that had some good songs but like Ghetto Walkin, I can totally see this sitting in clearance for half price in a few months.

Lastly a question about the gimmicky Crosley turntables. I see they are three-speed. Can the cartridge be swapped out of these so I can put a specialized 78 needle? One of the places I hit up had a half dozen Mickey Mouse Crosleys that nobody was touching, and they still had a Ramones Crosley from last year's RSD discounted to 60 dollars. Even if Crosley's are overall meh, I wouldn't mind having a halfway decent 78 RPM record player. Having Mickey Mouse adorning it would just be a bonus. :thumbsup: