Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Subjunctive posted:

Was Theranos' flouting essential to their business model, as Uber's is, or just reckless operation?
It's not essential, but they have had failures of every kind, basically, even operations stuff that's not that hard. It is a glib just-so take to call it a clash of the silicon valley VC culture with the fastidious slog of the science and regulatory cultures but that's almost certainly part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

Was Theranos' flouting essential to their business model, as Uber's is, or just reckless operation?

I would say that it was rather essential, given that they were selling a product that did not work.

Bonus thing I found while checking exactly what rules they were flouting:

Wikipedia posted:

On December 2, The Washington Post revealed the exploration of a partnership with the US military had led to issues being found with the Edison device and a request that the FDA investigate. This request was denied by United States Marine Corps General James Mattis after Holmes's intervention. Mattis later joined the Board of Directors of Theranos.

I feel like someone should hang for this.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Subjunctive posted:

Their product, had it existed, would have improved medical testing. Unfortunately, apparently it failed tests early on, and whle they were trying to make it work they were simultaneously issuing fraudulent reports about its working.

Lote posted:

The more you bet on somebody the bigger loss you have to eat when it goes bad. This is her sole thing that she's done so why her instead of any other Stanford grad?
Charisma by the bucket, apparently. She got LOTS of press, much of it centered around her story. Her rep was astonishing compared with what she'd actually accomplished to date. I may add that charisma is essential to successful fraud.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So what was her "rep" besides being a young, pretty white woman who went to a good school? In my day you actually had to do something to have a rep.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Which is of course at least somewhat ironic since 20th century transportation history in the US teaches us one main thing: when you open up more freeways and more lanes, more people drive cars. Extra auto carrying capacity ALWAYS gets filled. Certainly computer control would allow more cars to be packed into the freeways, and probably at higher speeds, but tires still pop and the roads can only carry so many cars.

Radbot posted:

So what was her "rep" besides being a young, pretty white woman who went to a good school? In my day you actually had to do something to have a rep.
By most accounts she sounds like she had that 'it' factor that people like Steve Jobs had. Just something about them. But yes, being a not-white/asian guy certainly got her a lot of attention.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

cheese posted:

By most accounts she sounds like she had that 'it' factor that people like Steve Jobs had. Just something about them. But yes, being a not-white/asian guy certainly got her a lot of attention.

I wonder what people consider Steve Job's "it factor" if you take away his ability to lead a company to produce amazing products. Being an rear end in a top hat who thinks fruit juice cures cancer, maybe.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Their product, had it existed, would have improved medical testing. Unfortunately, apparently it failed tests early on, and whle they were trying to make it work they were simultaneously issuing fraudulent reports about its working.

Their product does exist, and is made by other people even. Nanoliter biological sample testing is a thing but the problem is that the when you get to that sample size the number of your target substance is so tiny that it cannot be relied upon to produce a large enough response to always detect. What people who are smart do is to pull a normal sized sample to divide it and run a bunch of tests in parallel against a bunch of reference samples. But that's not cool enough I guess.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shifty Pony posted:

Their product does exist, and is made by other people even. Nanoliter biological sample testing is a thing but the problem is that the when you get to that sample size the number of your target substance is so tiny that it cannot be relied upon to produce a large enough response to always detect. What people who are smart do is to pull a normal sized sample to divide it and run a bunch of tests in parallel against a bunch of reference samples. But that's not cool enough I guess.
Nope. The whole point was that you could do blood tests without drawing a normal-sized sample. A little dab'll do ya.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

The Larch posted:

I would say that it was rather essential, given that they were selling a product that did not work.

Bonus thing I found while checking exactly what rules they were flouting:

I feel like someone should hang for this.

That general is being shopped around among billionaires to run as president should trump get an ironclad nomination, fyi.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

From what I understand, Theranos' product did work, just not nearly as well as they said, and they were only ever able to get approval for one test that was relatively minor. So they probably could have had a real biotech company in 8-10 years following the normal, cautious R&D slog. Instead they decided to immediately go as big as possible, trusting the Theranos brand to get them new business while they propped up a technology that wasn't ready yet by using conventional lab equipment.

It's exactly the sort of play you would expect investors who mostly invest in software to push for, because that's the winning strategy there. As long as it kind of works on the front end, it doesn't matter if things are a complete mess behind the scenes. This is a problem that it is assumed will work itself out once enough time and money is thrown at it, and in the meantime it's important to make a land grab because software markets are usually winner take all.

I think the response upthread is right on, Theranos' problems are a result of culture clash. Its what happens when you try to apply what works in software to a much more difficult problem of fundamental science and biotechnology research.

Edit: Theranos' investors include only one real biotech VC firm, and their biggest investor seems to be Larry Ellison. Suddenly everything makes sense.

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 14, 2016

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
"It works, just not as well as they said" is a pretty generous interpretation considering there's some serious allegations of falsified regulatory documents going on; specifically, using third party lab testing machines instead of their "Edison" device and basically saying that Edison totes works as well as this other equipment, please believe us.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Baby Babbeh posted:

From what I understand, Theranos' product did work, just not nearly as well as they said, and they were only ever able to get approval for one test that was relatively minor. So they probably could have had a real biotech company in 8-10 years following the normal, cautious R&D slog. Instead they decided to immediately go as big as possible, trusting the Theranos brand to get them new business while they propped up a technology that wasn't ready yet by using conventional lab equipment.

It's exactly the sort of play you would expect investors who mostly invest in software to push for, because that's the winning strategy there. As long as it kind of works on the front end, it doesn't matter if things are a complete mess behind the scenes. This is a problem that it is assumed will work itself out once enough time and money is thrown at it, and in the meantime it's important to make a land grab because software markets are usually winner take all.

I think the response upthread is right on, Theranos' problems are a result of culture clash. Its what happens when you try to apply what works in software to a much more difficult problem of fundamental science and biotechnology research.

Edit: Theranos' investors include only one real biotech VC firm, and their biggest investor seems to be Larry Ellison. Suddenly everything makes sense.

The more I hear about Theranos the more it reminds me of Soylent: A bunch of rich VC types sinking money into a health/biotech project as if the field works exactly like the software industry when in fact the proponents didn't really know what they were doing and it eventually becomes a huge and potentially dangerous mess.

Except Theranos isn't nearly as funny as the Soylent story.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This reminds me of that tricorder bomb-sniffer that was sold to the US/Afghan forces during Gulf War Electric Boogaloo that was just a metal detector shell with random bits of cabling in it.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Except Theranos isn't nearly as funny as the Soylent story.
Theranos alpha test hardware bugfix log:

v0.0.40 - Under advisement from Legal, soundbank from v0.0.39 removed
v0.0.39 - Added Star Trek sounds during analysis
v0.0.38 - Added "midichlorian count" mode
v0.0.37 - T-Cell Counter under review after reports of several erroneous measurements
v0.0.36 - Units now in Parts Per Million instead of Parts Per Miligram

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 14, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

I wonder what people consider Steve Job's "it factor" if you take away his ability to lead a company to produce amazing products. Being an rear end in a top hat who thinks fruit juice cures cancer, maybe.

Steve Jobs had that special combination of smarts, technical skills, and immoral aggressiveness that people like to see in business leaders. He'd cheerfully exploit even his closest friends if it would make his company grow.

Read about the relationship between Jobs and Wozniak and you'll get a real good feel for how much of a selfish prick Jobs actually was. His business acumen was great and he was, in fact, a smart guy with good technical skills but he was absolutely not the smartest guy at the table. What he was best at was convincing people smarter than him to produce results on the cheap.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Hah. Just realized my tablet autocorreted to parents.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Shifty Pony posted:

No, their innovation, the thing that had people so crazy excited and willing to throw around huge stacks of money, was the claim that they could use finger prick levels of blood to perform tests that otherwise took much larger samples. Without that claim, they were nothing special - certainly not special enough to get all the publicity and articles about them, and the huge investments. That this was a lie is why it all came tumbling down. They made promises that they ended up not being able to deliver on.

Whoever was talking about the problems of investing in biomedical as if it were software was totally spot on. The same rules do not apply and it burned people big time.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't say that Jobs' business acumen was outstanding; he made a lot of terrible decisions from business standpoints. Don't forget that the Apple II carried the company for a significant period of time and Jobs pet project machines didnt really take off or meet price expectations. He also was really obsessed with his early factories aesthetics which probably lead to a lot of headaches.

Jobs had a really relentless drive for creating products he thought were good and was a good salesman. Eventually his drive and focus on aesthetics resulted in products that got him back into Apple and created some very successful products from there. He had a lot of that "hustling" quality that so many would-be valley founders love.

He was also a massive (selfish) rear end in a top hat who didn't care about screwing people over to get what he wanted, and a dirty hippie.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hippies care about other people and/or the earth, even if it's misguided. Jobs was just an rear end in a top hat with magical beliefs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fraud is bad and uncool in software too, in my opinion as a software non-fraud doer.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

Hippies care about other people and/or the earth, even if it's misguided. Jobs was just an rear end in a top hat with magical beliefs.

The aging bay and greater area hippie population disagree with you

Lots of hippies espouse beliefs for caring for people as a larger population and the environment, but history showed plenty were assholes well as big of assholes as anybody really who got worse as they made out pretty well in the post-war boomer economy.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

lancemantis posted:

The aging bay and greater area hippie population disagree with you

Lots of hippies espouse beliefs for caring for people as a larger population and the environment, but history showed plenty were assholes well as big of assholes as anybody really who got worse as they made out pretty well in the post-war boomer economy.

I would posit that they weren't hippies to begin with. Just calling yourself something doesn't mean you are that something.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Radbot posted:

I would posit that they weren't hippies to begin with. Just calling yourself something doesn't mean you are that something.

Really? Hippie Essentialism? No True Hippie?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

Not every "These people are X", "No they are not really X even if they say are X" is a No True Scotsman. Although I do kinda like the way No True Hippie rolls off the tongue.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

cheese posted:

No, their innovation, the thing that had people so crazy excited and willing to throw around huge stacks of money, was the claim that they could use finger prick levels of blood to perform tests that otherwise took much larger samples. Without that claim, they were nothing special - certainly not special enough to get all the publicity and articles about them, and the huge investments. That this was a lie is why it all came tumbling down. They made promises that they ended up not being able to deliver on.

Whoever was talking about the problems of investing in biomedical as if it were software was totally spot on. The same rules do not apply and it burned people big time.

It is a clash between SV culture and reality. While getting things right 70% of the time is humorously quirky for your face swap app it is utterly unacceptable for a medical test where competing established tests are in the high 90s.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

After a sufficient amount of time, most hippies discovered that yurts stink, geodesic domes leak, earthfast houses have no windows, communal living is an invitation for cleaning and cooking to become somebody else's job, and subsistence farming flat-out sucks. Some of them then figured out ways to monetize foodie products: specialty gardening direct-to-chef, making goat chese instead of goat milk, pasture-raised meat stock. Others shrugged their shoulders and went back to the suburbs.

Liberals have also discovered that the personal may be political, but my personal solar panels make a tiny contribution while the fossil fuels industries' propaganda successfully defeated large-scale renewable or low-carbon energy.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Also a reproducability of 70% is only marginally better than flipping a coin. They also say that their test didn't "kill" anyone but the test that they're replacing is used to guide dosing of a drug. If you don't dose it right, your chance of stroke goes up but it's not certain. They've got "plausible" deniability. In actuality it's bad medicine that raising people's risk of stroke or a dangerous bleed.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Radbot posted:

pffft my doctor is an idiot this all-fruit diet is the best solution to my cancer

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Sure, if that's what you want to call it.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Lote posted:

Also a reproducability of 70% is only marginally better than flipping a coin.

Really? I'd say about 20%, but I'm not good at math.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pixelboy posted:

Really? I'd say about 20%, but I'm not good at math.

Yeah, it's actually 40%.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
"True Hippies" like romanticized in media did/do exist, but they're such a small percent of the "hey wouldn't it be nice if we didn't kill so much nature" crowd that excluding everyone else is silly.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

The Larch posted:

Yeah, it's actually 40%.

Well, I did say I'm not good at the maths.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Doc Hawkins posted:

From way back in Triumph of the Nerds (the excellent PBS/Cringely documentary on the mid 90s pre-iMac computing industry): the guys who invented VisiCalc didn't trademark/copyright or protect their invention, on the basis that they were hippie bastard's that wanted to leave the world off better than they found it.

Jobs, meanwhile, is swiping UI from Xerox and browbeating employees to get boot times down 2 seconds. But they didn't need to wear suits at work!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Uber is killing LA taxi companies.

quote:

Since the ride-hailing services began operating in Southern California three years ago, the number of L.A. taxi trips arranged in advance has fallen by 42%, according to city records, and the total number of trips has plummeted by nearly 30%.

The steepest drops were in the city's most popular nightlife and tourist destinations: the Westside, Hollywood and downtown.

The declines point to a dramatic shift wrought by the popular app-based transportation companies, which have wrested market share from taxi companies that have enjoyed decades of dominance in Los Angeles. The decline mirrors what's happening across the country, as taxis — regulated by local governments on everything from price to the color of their cars — struggle to compete with cheaper, more nimble start-ups.

Granted this is for pre-arranged taxicab pickups, which I believe has a fairly clunky app and phone service. I'm wondering if the taxicab industry will adapt to be more lightweight and flexible, or double down on trying to legislate Uber out of existence. I think in NYC Uber still isn't allowed at the airports, I would be very interested to see similar statistics.

It's not surprising that Uber has made the most gains in the nightlife areas. Most people I know in LA complain about the lack of parking, overzealous police/parking enforcement, and lack of late-night cab service as the reason why Uber is so popular in LA.

E: forgot a word :doh:

red19fire fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 15, 2016

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

red19fire posted:

Uber is killing LA taxi companies.

Granted this is for pre-arranged taxicab pickups, which I believe has a fairly clunky app and phone service. I'm wondering if the taxicab industry will adapt to be more lightweight and flexible, or double down on trying to Uber out of existence. I think in NYC Uber still isn't allowed at the airports, I would be very interested to see similar statistics.

It's not surprising that Uber has made the most gains in the nightlife areas. Most people I know in LA complain about the lack of parking, overzealous police/parking enforcement, and lack of late-night cab service as the reason why Uber is so popular in LA.

NYC now has apps like Way2Ride and Arro in response

Arro is already significantly outperforming uber in Manhattan.

quote:

When it came to fares, Arro performed slightly better, undercutting Uber’s prices by 10%. This included a 20% tip for the taxi drivers; I trusted Uber’s claim that their drivers earn enough to making tipping unnecessary.

But where Arro really crushed Uber was on arrival times. On average, the taxis arrived within three minutes of my digital hail, compared with 7½ minutes for Uber.

Arro founder Mike Epley says my results are in line with his company’s observations: Systemwide, Arro’s average wait time hovers around three minutes.

Uber NYC General Manager Josh Mohrer, meanwhile, agrees it can be faster to get a cab than an Uber in Manhattan, especially on the main avenues.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

San Francisco requires Uber and Lyft drivers to get business licenses

quote:

For the first time, San Francisco is going to require the 37,000 Lyft and Uber drivers who work in the city seven or more days a year to obtain a business license.

City Treasurer Jose Cisneros wouldn’t fully explain why he is now requiring the license, which will cost drivers $91 annually, when the companies started operations years ago. But one reason, he said, is that the city launched its online business registration system in March — before, registrants had to go to City Hall to apply in person.

The move ups the political tension between the city and Uber and Lyft. When faced with class-action lawsuits from drivers seeking status as employees, the companies have vigorously maintained that the drivers are independent contractors. Cisneros is in essence turning that argument back on them and saying: If that’s the case, the drivers have to register as independent contractors for a business license.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

good...good...

Next the city should require each Uber/Lyft vehicle to be certified as an ISO-compliant mass transit system.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 15, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Even given that the state is insane enough not to have safety inspections for private motor vehicles (why? why?) surely Uber and Lyft drivers, as vehicles for hire, ought to?

Shuddle, whose pitch line is "Uber for kids", bit the dust.

quote:

Shuddle had raised $12.2 million, including $9.6 million a year ago. That last infusion, originally targeted for expansion outside the Bay Area, instead has fueled its operations for the past year, Aley said. Shuddle lost money on every ride until this year, when it achieved positive margins.

The 32-person company sought unsuccessfully to raise another $10 million to $15 million “to pull us through to profitability,” he said.

The news underscores how tight venture capital has become, especially for younger startups that haven’t grown quickly enough. The on-demand sector, once a darling of investors, is particularly challenging for fundraising, Aley said.

“My world has been colored by on-demand apocalypse headlines that littered the news over the past six to eight weeks when we were trying to raise rounds,” he said.
How unfair, that a company whose last funding round didn't get used as specified, can't get the next round. ("On-demand apocalypse headlines"? Is this an elevator pitch for his next startup?)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Relevant to this thread's OP, the Guardian has an article on how much money Marissa Mayer will take with her when she goes after Yahoo's sale. They're treating it as "when" rather than "if".

quote:

What’s the price of failure? For Yahoo’s boss Marissa Mayer it could be about $137m. Bids are now in for the ailing tech company – and no matter who gets it, Mayer is set to be one of the biggest winners.

Mayer has taken home $78m since she was installed as CEO in 2012, according to stock analytics firm MCSI; if she’s dismissed from the company after a buyout she’s set for another $59m, based on the terms of the company’s most recent proxy statement.

Mayer’s performance pay and vested options peaked in 2014 at $48m (double the previous year’s salary). Yahoo has yet to finalise this year’s pay package so the final figure is yet to be determined, but few are expecting her to take home just her base salary, in excess of $2m.

Despite the company’s fundamental problems – it has lost the ad wars to Google and Facebook and bet billions on new businesses that have failed to take off – Yahoo’s share price is still in better shape than it was when she started. The rally in the stock price is entirely due to its holding in Alibaba, China’s largest e-commerce company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Even given that the state is insane enough not to have safety inspections for private motor vehicles (why? why?) surely Uber and Lyft drivers, as vehicles for hire, ought to?

Shuddle, whose pitch line is "Uber for kids", bit the dust.

Uh.

I mean I hope I'm reading this wrong but i can't imagine someone would sign off on the idea of "kid pushes phone button, stranger shows up to offer ride"