Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Elman posted:

So do you have to be in the forest to get summoned by the Wolves' covenant? I've been exploring the catacombs with it on and never got summoned.

Could just be a level range thing I guess?

something is hosed up with it, i think. i can invade in the woods with the red orb, but i cant get a wolf invasion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
oh gently caress the samurai dude at firelink just wrecked me :( I should have known when I saw like, 20 bloodstains right before that staircase.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Yeah, I really wish they brought back the small white soapstone because I want to just do some limited zone coop for a quick Ember, rather than go Sunbro and help a guy explore an entire zone that he's too afraid to do on his own.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I have the shittest loving luck getting Large Titanite Shards! Through the swamp, starting on Cathedral, killed all the little crystal lizards, scoured every area and I have found one (1) in total. I can barely invade and I NEVER get invaded because my SL is probably too high compared to my weapons.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Capsaicin posted:

oh gently caress the samurai dude at firelink just wrecked me :( I should have known when I saw like, 20 bloodstains right before that staircase.

I thought of using him as a parry training dummy but then I got introduced to the Firelink Fog door. gently caress having to wait 10-20 seconds every time I die.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cinara posted:

I killed him and didn't even notice he did this, I guess he died fast enough it didn't finish?

Yeah, I'm sure it's possible to kill him during the charge up period for it and stop it altogether. But it's sooo much easier to run away because he takes so long to charge it. And once he explodes he's completely incapable of moving afterwards so you're guaranteed victory if you avoid it.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Smouldering Lake is my favourite invasion spot.

The balista works as a compass to show you exactly where the host is, and it boxes them into an enclosed area forcing the host to actually fight.

Also theres always a ton of other summoned phantoms to fight as well and the balista and sand worm make for some really cool environmental dangers.

It's great not to have invasions constantly degrade into a game of chasing grab rear end for once.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

double nine posted:

PvP talk - has anyone had succes on low-level characters invading? All I've found is babbies who have 1 or 2 white phantom meatshields (and I'm not effective enough to get around those).

don't waste your time right now. low-level invasion is really friendly towards the defender and the game is new enough that there's no lack of low level people throwing down summon signs to get cinders or sunlight tokens or whatever. wait a little longer and then start invading around sacrifice road or beyond - the areas are much more open which makes it much easier to pull shenanigans and there's far fewer people throwing down piles of signs, so you get less 3v1 stomps.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
it's pretty funny to see people complain it's too hard to kill low level hosts

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
god drat it, I have hosed up siegward's questline twice now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If I am at the boss after the crab pond/starting the poison swamp am I near a point where I'll start finding large shards? Also am I near a point where I will find a vendor that sells regular shards?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Tamayachi posted:

Yeah, I really wish they brought back the small white soapstone because I want to just do some limited zone coop for a quick Ember, rather than go Sunbro and help a guy explore an entire zone that he's too afraid to do on his own.

Just stick a sign in front of a boss gate?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tamayachi posted:

just toss down a sign in front of a boss?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Does the NPC that allows you to "reborn" or whatever let you respec or just alter your appearance?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

homeless poster posted:

don't waste your time right now. low-level invasion is really friendly towards the defender and the game is new enough that there's no lack of low level people throwing down summon signs to get cinders or sunlight tokens or whatever. wait a little longer and then start invading around sacrifice road or beyond - the areas are much more open which makes it much easier to pull shenanigans and there's far fewer people throwing down piles of signs, so you get less 3v1 stomps.

Yeah I figured so but ... damned I want my pale tongue...

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

double nine posted:

PvP talk - has anyone had succes on low-level characters invading? All I've found is babbies who have 1 or 2 white phantom meatshields (and I'm not effective enough to get around those).

Alternatively what strategies exist to get through/around those guys? Pyromancies? Firebombs?

I've had no luck trying to focus down the host. try to just wait among scary monsters to help you: being a puss is the only real chance you got. The phantoms are usually easier to kill but it's very rare they split away from the host just to fight you; I have had some luck killing them while there's some chaos going on, since the other phantom will generally not try to save their buddy like they will a host.

when fighting multiple dudes, they tend to be a lot more aggressive, so look for opportunities to poke at them when they wiff at you. they'll still be mad aggressive since they know you cannot punish, but you can chip them down a bit.

someone will always try to flank you.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

double nine posted:

You can find one in undead settlement, I believe.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

NESguerilla posted:

If I am at the boss after the crab pond/starting the poison swamp am I near a point where I'll start finding large shards? Also am I near a point where I will find a vendor that sells regular shards?

You've still got a little while to go before finding Large shards reliably, like 3 more zones I think.

il serpente cosmico posted:

Just stick a sign in front of a boss gate?

Nuebot posted:

just toss down a sign in front of a boss?

I've had more than one dude summon me at a boss gate only to do a 180 and start running through everything he skipped. I'll Black stone out of those ones, but still :(

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

double nine posted:

if you really want to win 2v1s or 3v1s against people who prolly just got the game, carry a bow and just troll people with that. eventually they will come for you since estus is so scarce at that level.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

CSCheatDetection.h

DUN DUN DUN.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I just got to Irithyll of the Boreal Valley and oh my god what a cool beautiful place, especially after trudging around in the Swamp and Catacombs for the last several game hours.

edit: and of course the game would totally ruin it with the most bullshit enemy I've seen yet.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 14, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tamayachi posted:

You've still got a little while to go before finding Large shards reliably, like 3 more zones I think.

Cool thanks. What about small shards? They are still surprisingly rare.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tallgeese posted:

CSCheatDetection.h

DUN DUN DUN.

What? Have they added in an actual anti-cheat?

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Ok what's making this fat skeleton gently caress puke on me while I'm trying to hit his glowy bits? It's pretty much an instant kill so there must be something I'm doing wrong.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I just beat High Lord Wolnir, what level/weapon level should I have now to be within easy sunbro re-embering range? I'm seeing large shards with some regularity now so I'm guessing having a +4 weapon is ok now? Level-wise I have no idea how to gauge where I should be.

Also, after that, should I head into the hot or the cold area first?

Final note on that boss, I was expecting something to happen there but I wasn't expecting that :stare:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Cool thanks. What about small shards? They are still surprisingly rare.

You can buy them with the ash from Farron Keep.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hahahahahahahaha bottom of catacombs / entrance to lake

Wow, just had to fight a flaming demon, surely they wouldn't be so mean as to make this chest a mimic--- I don't know why I ever doubted you FROM :allears:

Tamayachi posted:

Yeah I'm super bummed there's no small white soapstone. That was one of the things DS2 did better! :smith:

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

A Magical Lamp posted:

Ok what's making this fat skeleton gently caress puke on me while I'm trying to hit his glowy bits? It's pretty much an instant kill so there must be something I'm doing wrong.

It's actually a pretty quick and easy fight, you just have to stay the hell away from him when he rears back to breathe out fartgas, wait for it to clear, then move into get one or two hits on his bling. It's like 5 hits per bracelet so just take your time.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

/dumps soup on you
Well, what do you think?
Increase the estus soup. Man now I gotta look up Spanish Souls, if such a thing is around.
Wouldn't Seigneur work better here?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Discard is a totally different command and does not drop items, way to go idiot who just wasted siegbrau

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Calaveron posted:

Discard is a totally different command and does not drop items, way to go idiot who just wasted siegbrau

Discard isn't leave. RIP your Siegbraü.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I got summoned as a sunbro for Treenuts at level 43 with a +4 Dark Sword. Some people are REALLY taking their time with this game.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Hahahahahahahaha bottom of catacombs / entrance to lake

Wow, just had to fight a flaming demon, surely they wouldn't be so mean as to make this chest a mimic--- I don't know why I ever doubted you FROM :allears:

You can make them fight each other and everything else in that room if you play your cards right. It's very satisfying.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Tamayachi posted:

I got summoned as a sunbro for Treenuts at level 43 with a +4 Dark Sword. Some people are REALLY taking their time with this game.

You're technically still in the range of people who haven't bothered to upgrade their weapons yet.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
It's a step back that they took out armor reinforcing (though I could see why they did it with PVP trolling with super upgraded equipment), lifegems and bonfire ascetics. Did they also take out spawn exhaustion?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You're technically still in the range of people who haven't bothered to upgrade their weapons yet.

Isn't it a combination of weapon level and SL? I figured 43 would be a good deal too high for that area.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah, I'm sure it's possible to kill him during the charge up period for it and stop it altogether. But it's sooo much easier to run away because he takes so long to charge it. And once he explodes he's completely incapable of moving afterwards so you're guaranteed victory if you avoid it.

about that.... https://streamable.com/dwv9

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Tamayachi posted:

just take your time.

Ok yeah I could probably stand to do this a little more. Playing without a shield has apparently made me a lot more reckless.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Captain Oblivious posted:

You should explore the Smouldering Lake off of Catacombs. There's a lot of really good Pyromancy squirreled away in there.

Like Forbidden Sun 2.0 and Sacred Flame and Chaos Firestorm....

I did. The only pyromancy I got there was the new forbidden sun which is garbage. Tons of mana, two slots, doesn't do much more damage than fire orb.

I could of easily missed something because that area is confusing as gently caress.

:wow:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Emalde posted:

No, pyromancy was simply folded into the trifecta of building for magic and just requires a modicum of stats and upgrade investment. It now exists as the proper "magic" option for people who want to be mages until endgame when you have access to the sorceries/miracles/hexes that are worth a drat, because Pyromancy scales on both INT and FAITH stats.

IF YOU WANT TO USE SORCERIES: loving don't bother until endgame. Keep up with all of your sorcery progression and what not with relevant quests and NPCs, but sorcery is absurdly useless until you are at endgame with crystal spells, 60 INT, and have one of the two staves that has S rank scaling. Pyromancy will scale with the raw INT investments you are making through the game, so use all of your titanite on the glove and make sure you get the important ones like Great Fireball/Great Chaos Fireball.

Use Simple/Fire/Chaos-infused weapons or the Crystal Sage's Rapier (crystal hail is unreliable garbage and not worth the soul) as your melee compliment. You can try to run Crystal infusion, but a lot of enemies are going to laugh in your face unless you've upgraded the hell out of the weapon's raw damage and you should be using titanite on the pyroglove.

If you're just being a spellblade (i.e. the Assassin starting class taken to its logical conclusion) then you really don't need to worry all that much. Get soul arrow from the vender lady in Firelink, and get enchanted weapon from the pilgrim dude, grab whatever weapon you want to use and turn it Raw with minimal stats to wield it. Raw weapons can be enchanted with magical (or fire) weapon spells and they wreck face when doing so for relatively cheap. Use that until you start getting 30+ int where the Sage's Rapier will likely start to over-take Raw + Enchanted weapon, or just stick with the raw weapon of your choice if you prefer it.

Alternatively just stick with an Enchanted Weapon build and carry an extra Ashen Flask or two. The Road of Sacrifice is when sorcery options start to explode with the Great Sage's soul rapier, a new trainer (complete with two scrolls for him in the poison swamp area), several magic rings, Great Enchanted Weapon etc.

I'm still a long ways off from getting 100% magic all the time, but a Sorcery-heavy build doesn't need to wait THAT long to start becoming strong.