Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Per Reddit, it's been fixed:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.087...12!8i6656?hl=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

"Fixed." That still only looks marginally better and would still be a nightmare if there was any packed snow or ice.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Magnus Praeda posted:

"Fixed." That still only looks marginally better and would still be a nightmare if there was any packed snow or ice.

I seem to remember seeing similar pictures, possibly the same development. If so, it was in Arizona per my memory.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
My driveway is around that steep, but it's got 5 feet more on the bottom and the top to even out the ride. I wouldn't want to try that smooth driveway in the rain. Mine has these chevron shaped grooves cut into the concrete for grip.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I bet the neighborhood kids loving LOVE it though. When I was like 10 I used to love riding my bike/skateboard/wagon down the steepest driveway on the street.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I got two words for ya, freezing rain.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ExplodingSims posted:

Bad connections you say?

:stonkhat:
I'm done. Nope, not even diagnosing the system. New compressor time.

JUST ONE MORE HARD START

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hey, at least their drainage should be fantastic, right?

Right up until it freezes.

God forbid anyone who lives in that house need a paramedic evac in the winter, someone'll die.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Gardenator posted:

My driveway is around that steep, but it's got 5 feet more on the bottom and the top to even out the ride. I wouldn't want to try that smooth driveway in the rain. Mine has these chevron shaped grooves cut into the concrete for grip.

I visited someone with a similarly steep driveway and grooves cut into it, and still had to gun it a little on the approach to be able to climb without wheel slip. Not pleasant.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Lime Tonics posted:

I always thought this was fake.

I was wrong.

Rest of the album here.

http://imgur.com/a/fy3o2

Seems like an easy fix. Just put a winch in the garage and pull your car up.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I'm not sure what this is linking to but no way is that the same property

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

Look at the bit of random stone façade with wooden spokes on the neighbor's house. If that's not the exact same house it's definitely the same builder.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vulture Culture posted:

Yeah it is. Move down the street one step.

Look at the tree limbs if you still aren’t sure.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The distance between the sidewalk and the street is wrong and the street curves the other direction

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vulture Culture posted:

The distance between the sidewalk and the street is wrong

That’s how they fixed it. :ssh:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

The distance between the sidewalk and the street is wrong and the street curves the other direction

The sidewalk got moved, and road construction isn't complete in those pictures, although you can see where they've cleared the trees for the road curve you're intent on. Everything matches, down to the terribly ugly street lamp on the corner.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
"Turn around" Look at the s-curve in the sidewalk - that's where the fix started.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
You can see how great of a solution the existing changes are by the oil drips in the one spot in the driveway and the parking spot in the street. Hitting an oil pan multiple times on the concrete will gently caress up your car real quick.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

wooger posted:

Never been used!

Can't believe for a second that the people doing the pour didn't know how stupid this was.

Maybe humoring an idiot foreman, or doing it as revenge of some kind? It looks like part of a planned development of multiple houses, so this is not just one eccentric owner losing his mind.
It's like misspellings on well-made signs: they'll offer to review your design for a fee, but if you're only paying for the product they'll make it exactly according to your specification, no matter how dumb that design is.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

kaschei posted:

It's like misspellings on well-made signs: they'll offer to review your design for a fee, but if you're only paying for the product they'll make it exactly according to your specification, no matter how dumb that design is.

Having worked in a sign manufacturing company, no, that's not the case. The signwriters are just as bad at spelling as everyone else these days.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

kid sinister posted:

The 1950s is when ground wires started appearing in residential installs. Look closer. It's possible that you actually have the ground wire, but it isn't hooked up.

Also, they make single outlet GFCIs with a switch. That would be cheaper than a breaker.

I checked today - no ground on the boxes except a few in the kitchen. Where some of the outlets are also wired backwards.

I did not know about the switch outlet combos. I will have to see what the circuits actually do in the walls but that looks like a good solution.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

I checked today - no ground on the boxes except a few in the kitchen. Where some of the outlets are also wired backwards.

I did not know about the switch outlet combos. I will have to see what the circuits actually do in the walls but that looks like a good solution.

In that case, check your bathrooms too. That's also how grounding first started: initially, only kitchen countertops and bathroom outlets were required to be grounded.

Also, when I said "look closer", I meant look really close. In the old days, electricians would sometimes use cables with ground, but then just snip the ground wire off right where they removed the outer sheath. Get a good flashlight.

edit: here, I wrote up a big 3 prong upgrade post awhile ago. It includes a bunch of tests you can do to see if your boxes are grounded or are easily upgradeable to such.

edit2: yet another option you could do for your bathroom would be to cut the existing box out of the wall, enlarge the hole a bit and install a 2-gang old work box.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 13, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

kid sinister posted:

In that case, check your bathrooms too. That's also how grounding first started: initially, only kitchen countertops and bathroom outlets were required to be grounded.

Also, when I said "look closer", I meant look really close. In the old days, electricians would sometimes use cables with ground, but then just snip the ground wire off right where they removed the outer sheath. Get a good flashlight.

edit: here, I wrote up a big 3 prong upgrade post awhile ago. It includes a bunch of tests you can do to see if your boxes are grounded or are easily upgradeable to such.

edit2: yet another option you could do for your bathroom would be to cut the existing box out of the wall, enlarge the hole a bit and install a 2-gang old work box.

No luck. The kitchen has ground and new romex because the new breaker box got placed directly outside of it. The old wiring is definitely two conductor. I peeled back some more of the jacket to confirm.

But both bathrooms are on the same circuit. Considering that the GFCI receptacle/switch combos are about $30 each but the correct GE GFCI breaker is $42... I might just go that route. Also there is a whole hell of a lot more room to work in the panel than those tiny old boxes.

Here's another oddity- the front bedroom has outlet boxes which stick out from the wall, and at the bottom of the boxes a cut off ground wire comes out (which is connected to the outlet ground terminal). There is also a grounding stake right outside that room with the wire going into the wall. I'm guessing hospice required grounded outlets and they got put in in a hurry, and they just cut the ground wires instead of leaving them running along the floor in a rental.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

They should have fixed it by putting the garage in the basement.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

totalnewbie posted:

They should have fixed it by putting the garage in the basement.

Ooh, a drive-out basement, that'd be new.

I mean, I love a walk-out, and that's just a perfect setup for "Find my keys and we can DRIVE out of here!"

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Bad Munki posted:

Ooh, a drive-out basement, that'd be new.

I mean, I love a walk-out, and that's just a perfect setup for "Find my keys and we can DRIVE out of here!"

They're quite common around these parts of Wisconsin. I not only have a drive-out basement, but a "walk-in" basement - the main entrance to my home is in the basement.

One of my neighbors takes the drive-out basement a step further and has a two story garage. Not two story as in garage + bonus room, but two story as in two garages stacked on top of each other, each with their own garage door and driveway.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Zhentar posted:

They're quite common around these parts of Wisconsin. I not only have a drive-out basement, but a "walk-in" basement - the main entrance to my home is in the basement.

One of my neighbors takes the drive-out basement a step further and has a two story garage. Not two story as in garage + bonus room, but two story as in two garages stacked on top of each other, each with their own garage door and driveway.

I'd love pictures of all of this.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Liquid Communism posted:

God forbid anyone who lives in that house need a paramedic evac in the winter, someone'll die.

This is part of the reason I'm seriously considering installing a snow melt system in my driveway (it hits 25% grade near the crest :cry: )

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I assume it's on a grade, so that the bottom opens in one direction and the top opens in the other? Or do they actually have a suspended drive over the lower's opening?!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Garage in the basement?? That's easy! How about garage in the 3rd floor attic?

Basement garages are super common around where I live, they can get steeper and deeper too.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 14, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

See, that's why flat-roofed houses are superior. Look at that slope, all that wasted space where you could stack cars.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I'd love pictures of all of this.

Not my house but go nuts: https://www.google.com/maps/place/F...39d6c901b5fad43
If you go to the street view on Baumer Pl, it's mid-construction. On Main, it's completed.

E: They have a 4 car garage and still park cars in the driveway.

Guy Axlerod fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 14, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Garage in the basement?? That's easy! How about garage in the 3rd floor attic?

That's pretty cool, it's like a bank barn but as a house.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Not my house but go nuts: https://www.google.com/maps/place/F...39d6c901b5fad43
If you go to the street view on Baumer Pl, it's mid-construction. On Main, it's completed.

E: They have a 4 car garage and still park cars in the driveway.

Ah, yeah, so they're not something insane with the door actually above each other or something. That's pretty reasonable and cool since the roads were graded to make it not crazy. I dig it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

Here's another oddity- the front bedroom has outlet boxes which stick out from the wall, and at the bottom of the boxes a cut off ground wire comes out (which is connected to the outlet ground terminal). There is also a grounding stake right outside that room with the wire going into the wall. I'm guessing hospice required grounded outlets and they got put in in a hurry, and they just cut the ground wires instead of leaving them running along the floor in a rental.

Thats almost certainly a no-no. Your home's grounding system is just that, a system. All grounds in your house must be joined together, usually at the panel. Having separate grounds can cause an issue if there is a short between the hot wire and that separate ground. That situation can energize the box it's in, yet not trip the breaker.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I have a basement garage. Tremendous pain in the rear end when you want to haul in groceries or something. It's below the kitchen so we thought about putting in a dumbwaiter but there's a little thing about fire-rated doors, so that's impractical too.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

High Lord Elbow posted:

I have a basement garage. Tremendous pain in the rear end when you want to haul in groceries or something. It's below the kitchen so we thought about putting in a dumbwaiter but there's a little thing about fire-rated doors, so that's impractical too.

Uhh, hello, that's why you get a car lift in the garage. Sure it's good for changing your oil but a few minutes with a sawzall and it'll deliver your car straight into your kitchen for the ultimate in grocery unloading ease.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Uhh, hello, that's why you get a car lift in the garage. Sure it's good for changing your oil but a few minutes with a sawzall and it'll deliver your car straight into your kitchen for the ultimate in grocery unloading ease.

Reminds me of a video I saw once showing off a fancy apartment building (probably somewhere in either Asia or the Middle East), where you'd drive your car into a special elevator, which would take the car up to the 30th floor or whatever and display it in a nice glass-walled "garage" adjacent to your apartment.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I haven't found hauling groceries from my basement garage to be that much of an inconvenience, but if I did I'd just get a cart to carry them up.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Reminds me of a video I saw once showing off a fancy apartment building (probably somewhere in either Asia or the Middle East), where you'd drive your car into a special elevator, which would take the car up to the 30th floor or whatever and display it in a nice glass-walled "garage" adjacent to your apartment.

I was going to guess Japan (car elevators are a common parking solution in Tokyo buildings), but apparently it's Singapore: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...thouse-pad.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3vtpGtyw1k