Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
i should also mention my entire time in the army was as mech infantry, Brads and Strykers. being able to rip all that poo poo off and just be bare IOTV was required to crawl through the Bradley driver's hellhole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
mech toad? toed? towed? i heard that so much but could never figure out what the second word is because i was retard infantry :w00t:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Anyone know which office on JBLM to get in contact with to verify that I can in fact do the process to get paid for a DITY move on their end rather than here on Benning? Transportation office here said I could do that and just to tell them the website was down while I was clearing but wanted to talk to the office at JBLM to make sure.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Mustang posted:

Anyone know which office on JBLM to get in contact with to verify that I can in fact do the process to get paid for a DITY move on their end rather than here on Benning? Transportation office here said I could do that and just to tell them the website was down while I was clearing but wanted to talk to the office at JBLM to make sure.

Probably JPPSO: http://www.lewis-mcchord.army.mil/jppso/contact_information.htm

Do you have a sponsor? Granted, having one that's responsive and not braindead is a crapshoot, at best, but this kind of stuff is what they're there for.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Thanks. And yeah I have one but he was assigned to me like in November last year but he has his own platoon now so it can take a couple days before I get a response from him. Which reminds me that I need to get a hold of the assistant S1...

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Next time Mustang PCSs there aren't going to be nearly as many posts

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
It's just going to be "gently caress I hate the army, anybody know any good cheap dive bars near JBLM?"

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
One day I may dig through the archives to map my own downfall into bitter sarcasm and jaded hatred of the Army.

But for now, I'm going to eat a burrito. Burritos > Army.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Aranan posted:

Burritos > Army.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
burritos rule

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Mike-o posted:

It's just going to be "gently caress I hate the army, anybody know any good cheap dive bars near JBLM?"
Gonna preemptively answer this with Lady Luck. Lots of tits and they usually have a hot dog guy outside with those dogs that have onions and cream cheese. loving weird, I know, but they're delicious. Full disclosure, I'm probably biased because my cousin worked there and I got in for free.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

I wanna personally ask every shitstain who mandates wearing the FLC over the IOTV just what exactly their intention is by doing that, like why do they think that's a good thing to do. It sure would be real funny if one of them had to deal with a wound to the torso while all dumbed up.

I wore poo poo on my FLC since getting in and out of a tank hatch is much easier without pouches making you wider.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Okay, burrito plan fell through. My day is ruined.

Instead, I'm sitting in the waiting area surrounded by TRADOC kids with their little phase badges and water sources while I wait for my appointment.

At least I'm wearing comfy civ clothes.

I'll say it again, the best parts of being in the army are when you get to pretend that you aren't in the army.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The best part of being in the army is not being in the army.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
the army is gay and i'm gay for being in it

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
FLC Chat: Like Mike-o was talking about, the ones Tactical Tailor and a couple other places sell are the tits. Basically just a panel with two straps on the top and two on the sides at the bottom, and sturdy buckles that you attach to the actual vest. Pop all 4 buckles if you want to go slick, just the bottom 2 if you're taking off the vest. Only time it's gay is if you're doing something with a FLC and no vest, mostly because anything you have to do that for is loving retarded.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Pro: No PT profile for two weeks. Whee.
Con: Liquid diet for four days. Boo. Really wishing I got that burrito now. :(
Other con: Damnit, this means I won't be able to do anything in the gym after work.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Liquid diet? That's beer.

Also blend the burrito in a blender. You're a soldier, think like one.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

You're a soldier, think like one.

20% APR? How can I lose!

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The best part of being in the army is being retired from the army.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Soulex posted:

You're a soldier, think like one.

Error: contradiction detected.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Any of you guys ever tried hooking up a VSAT + CAISI to a MIRC and have it work recently? I'm being pressured by O4s all the way to our O6 to magically produce 4 working VSATs for our annual training when every single one in our brigade seems to be broken and now one of the techs in our ESB is telling me that even if we did get them to work, it only works on PBUSEs and SAMS-Es.

Why the gently caress am I having to deal with all this when I'm just a spc-p.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
whats a -p

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

promotable

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

I know but (P) makes me laugh and isn't even a regulation thing, its feel good bullshit that Army people do, makes me laugh

Source AR 600-8-19
7–37. Determining selection objective
Soldiers in the selection objective, even though assigned but not yet promoted, are considered “promotable” while on
the list, but will not use the letter (P) in correspondence or other documents unless specifically authorized or required
by Army policy

So when people write that poo poo on emails go ahead and use your general military authority.

Edit2: Sorry obv him putting that on a GIP post is nothing, but just a fun fact I was reminded of

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 15, 2016

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Any of you guys ever tried hooking up a VSAT + CAISI to a MIRC and have it work recently? I'm being pressured by O4s all the way to our O6 to magically produce 4 working VSATs for our annual training when every single one in our brigade seems to be broken and now one of the techs in our ESB is telling me that even if we did get them to work, it only works on PBUSEs and SAMS-Es.

Do you work for me? Because I'm dealing with literally the exact same scenario.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

psydude posted:

I dont know, are you COL S., MAJ R., MAJ C., CW3 G or SGT L?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

psydude posted:

good job being an rear end in a top hat and making this young soldiers life a living hell

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont know, are you COL S., MAJ R., MAJ C., CW3 G or SGT L?

No. But what I'm getting from this is that the Army apparently thinks satellite communications can be stood up at a moment's notice with no issue whatsoever.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

hot hooah all over your motivated chest

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Aranan posted:

One day I may dig through the archives to map my own downfall into bitter sarcasm and jaded hatred of the Army.

Not gonna lie I still have the questions about our MOS in my inbox. I treasure them for documenting your slow descent into the madness that we've all had to endure and the resulting bitterness because I get to watch it happen to someone else instead of living through it with stuff like this:

psydude posted:

No. But what I'm getting from this is that the Army apparently thinks satellite communications can be stood up at a moment's notice with no issue whatsoever.

or some O6 Shitbird demanding I make said satellite communications hold as much data as he thinks we need on the physics-defined amount of bandwidth we are alloted. Or the CW4 that chewed my rear end in a top hat out for twenty minutes when I said "No, I will not do that, talk to my commanding officer" because they wanted me to rewire their building to give them more electricity instead of unplugging the electric space heaters under their desks that were blowing their breakers.

Nothing personal, I have to enjoy what I can from the Army. Just most times it ends up coming at someone else's expense.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

well yeah, satellites are just magic space antennas, you can point your radio at it and bounce it wherever you want as much as you want!

The real g's bounce HF waves off the earth and sky like Pong :smug:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

psydude posted:

Or that they honestly think that their alternate plan of getting 8 corporate wireless routers for 3 months is economically feasible in today's reserve but here I am looking for prices so that our S4 has a heart attack when we report back. I can already hear the O6 asking for the contingency plan.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

The real g's bounce HF waves off the earth and sky like Pong :smug:

Honestly it was pretty cool loving around with a HF radio/antenna setups at ARC and bouncing the waves to talk to someone 3,000 miles away

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
did you guys ever pick up plain text tactical radio communications from the vietnam war due to atmospheric bounce while training in Fort Hood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The VSAT, which is generally a piece of poo poo, will only allow you usage of .mil sites. The primary reason they exist is supply and maintenance ordering. Speeds are usually not great, however, especially if you're running multiple machines. I got to go to this party myself a few times recently. Also if you have to call Kuwait for tech support, the guys that answer the phones are shitheads. The shittiest kind of government employee, including soldiers.

• Locked thread