Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm starting to get frustrated with PVP; it's 2 or 3vs1 every time and when it's not the host is still gonna heal right in front of your face, and they get to do it twice as much :negative:

It's so fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

With the weapons part, is that just what you have equipped or what?

IIRC it's if you've ever crafted it.
Helpful link:
http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Summon+Range+Calculator

quote:

If you meet the above conditions in either case, but struggle to see summon signs in your game, and never get invited to other players’ games when you leave your sign, you may be running into one of a few limitations.

These limitations are:
Your Soul level is more than ten levels higher/lower than theirs
You have a weapon upgraded two or more levels higher than theirs, or vice versa
For special weapons (ones that upgrade to +5 only) the above rule counts as double for every upgrade
Covenant affiliation, your covenants must not be against one another. To be sure, take off any covenant rings before summoning

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Captain Oblivious posted:

You missed Sacred Flame and two tomes. As for Forbidden Sun, don't underestimate it. Yes it's expensive but I find that sometimes the limiting factor is TIME on a boss and cramming in more damage right this instant is worth the Focus.

I found quelana's tome but have nobody to give it too. And the casting time on forbidden sun is barely better than fire orb. The projectile speed is signifcantly better, but few enemies are actually capable of dodging fire orb in the first place. Its definitely not worth two slots and way more mana.

I dunno where the other tome and spell would be. The only loot I know I missed was behind a wall in the lake because I turned off the big machine before exploring it. The idea of going back up there to turn it on again is...ugh.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Nuggan posted:

Does hollowing affect your multiplayer ability? I've heard both yes and no.

i've looked online too and there's not a ton of info about what hollowing does; it's possible it does next to nothing outside one NPC's plot (and ending) and one type of weapon enchant. the hollow enchant gives you a bonus to your Luck if you have greater than 15 hollow but nobody is listing a specific amount. as far as pvp goes, it doesn't seem to change anything. you have to be cinder form to summon others, but you do not have to be cinder form to invade or be summoned by the pve/pvp covenants, and i don't think hollowing changes that (or if it does, nobody had related that online in any measurable way yet).

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Oh dang, so my +4 frost sword that uses Twinkling counts as a +8 weapon in terms of summoning?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh neat, the claymore gets a weird psuedo-backstab, it's not a failed attempt at it, the sword thrusts forward real quickly for about half damage.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Is the game's co-op buggy or just me? Three times in a row I've been summoned, only to see EVERYONE else just sliding along the ground in idle positions instead of any other animations or attacks. I guess it works out in my favor because it makes me immune to bosses since they can't attack me (even when I have their attention), but I don't know if it's just my internet or the game. I didn't seem to have any serious lag issues with Dark Souls 1 or 2, though.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Huh... so right after the Dragon-Kin Mausoleum bonfire in Archdragon Peak there's a knight guy who keeps appearing, he's the one who drops the drakeblood greatsword... does he really appear infinitely? If so, holy soul farming.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
I just went on a spree of leaving "Bleeding but hole" messages everywhere. I noticed a distinct lack of but holes so far in the game.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Routinely having my rear end kicked by Gundyr 2.0. Come watch if you want

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Man, the NPC summon was way more helpful than any players for the Pontiff boss fight

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just beat the Pontiff solo. Feeling pretty good as a semi-noob souls player. I took off of my shield and used the dodge boosting ring. I thought I was going to be in for a super long session of running and dying but I got him in less than 10 tries. :rock:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Cyberventurer posted:

Is the game's co-op buggy or just me? Three times in a row I've been summoned, only to see EVERYONE else just sliding along the ground in idle positions instead of any other animations or attacks. I guess it works out in my favor because it makes me immune to bosses since they can't attack me (even when I have their attention), but I don't know if it's just my internet or the game. I didn't seem to have any serious lag issues with Dark Souls 1 or 2, though.

It happens here and there. I did a sunbro coop last night for the Curse-rotted Greatwood and everything was sliding including the Greatwood itself. It was rather comical and I wish Shadowplay didn't gently caress up so I could have recorded it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tamayachi posted:

Oh dang, so my +4 frost sword that uses Twinkling counts as a +8 weapon in terms of summoning?

Yep but you could just dump that into the bottomless box and reset it apparently.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game is fun

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yep but you could just dump that into the bottomless box and reset it apparently.

wait really? sweet

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

how does one do that?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

how does one do that?

I'd assume it's just putting the weapon in your bonfire storage box?

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
gently caress it, I did it, I'm a hollow man. Lets see if I notice anything different.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Daily reminder if you want this game for the ps4 and haven't bought it yet im giving away a copy on twitch tomorrow at midnight, US only, you can enter here: There are only 15 entries someone tried to scam 10 by making multi accounts lol.

https://gleam.io/competitions/uLd0E-ps4-dark-souls-raffle-giveaway

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Huh... so right after the Dragon-Kin Mausoleum bonfire in Archdragon Peak there's a knight guy who keeps appearing, he's the one who drops the drakeblood greatsword... does he really appear infinitely? If so, holy soul farming.

An Enemy is summoning him.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Not bad plunging for an SL15

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The guy with the key to get to the red eye orb, Leonhard, isn't in Firelink anymore. Is he somewhere else or am I locked out of it for this game? I only saw him once ever.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

RBA Starblade posted:

The guy with the key to get to the red eye orb, Leonhard, isn't in Firelink anymore. Is he somewhere else or am I locked out of it for this game?

He's on and off. If you're looking for him to give you a key, make sure you've looked after every little spot of white glowy loot hanging around in the Undead Settlement.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RBA Starblade posted:

The guy with the key to get to the red eye orb, Leonhard, isn't in Firelink anymore. Is he somewhere else or am I locked out of it for this game? I only saw him once ever.

Kill a boss and check back in. People tend to come and go.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Anyone know what the ideal hexing staff and talisman are this go round? It occurs to me that my Pyromancer is also functionally built to Hex

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MrLonghair posted:

He's on and off. If you're looking for him to give you a key, make sure you've looked after every little spot of white glowy loot hanging around in the Undead Settlement.

Oh thanks, the wiki didn't mention needing one; and the lag and using a bad weapon made sure I didn't get one from the cracked orbs.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Anyone else having problems invading right now? I need a tongue for a respec but I spent all the loot ones, But every invade times out or I get kicked as soon as I zone in

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

GreatGreen posted:

Good god how are you supposed to fight that thing on the bridge at the beginning of Ithryll of the Boreal Valley?

You are not ready, dude.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
like 18 hours in and still have yet to be summoned by either of the auto-summoning covenants.

noticed while co-oping yesterday, that maybe 1/3rd or 1/4th of the time i was summoned, everything was just floating around and i was able to basically kill the boss(s) for people with impunity as nothing could attack me. other times, i would get locked out of the boss arena (just couldn't use it).

i started trying to summon people for some bosses and noticed that they must be encountering the same thing with me, most of the time they can't enter the boss arena and sit around infront of it or attack it (which i can see on the other side of the fog, which is what clued me in). It's pretty annoying since the boss has a poo poo ton more health and they can't help.

starting wonder if there is a connection between this and the auto-summoning covenants not working for some people? I wonder if everyone who isn't getting summoned, is also one of these hosts where everything floats around for the summonee?

in anycase it's really annoying and kind of souring my introduction to DS3. I love the online components of souls games but this poo poo is broken.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I'm making a Dex-heavy build, how high should my strength go to wield all the fun weapons that need more than 10? Is 16 enough like it was in DS1?

I'm trying to stay relatively unsullied by spoilers, so I'm not looking up specific weapons.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Anyone know why hitting with both two blades does less damage than using R1? because that is bullshit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Was the online in the last two games this hosed on release? I know Bloodborne had crummy online but that was because the requirements for it were weird, not that the system literally did not function properly.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreatGreen posted:

Good god how are you supposed to fight that thing on the bridge at the beginning of Ithryll of the Boreal Valley?

Hit it in the rear end until it dies while dodging its attacks. The reward is cool.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Was the online in the last two games this hosed on release? I know Bloodborne had crummy online but that was because the requirements for it were weird, not that the system literally did not function properly.

It's been working flawlessly for me on PS4.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Emalde posted:

No, pyromancy was simply folded into the trifecta of building for magic and just requires a modicum of stats and upgrade investment. It now exists as the proper "magic" option for people who want to be mages until endgame when you have access to the sorceries/miracles/hexes that are worth a drat, because Pyromancy scales on both INT and FAITH stats.

IF YOU WANT TO USE SORCERIES: loving don't bother until endgame. Keep up with all of your sorcery progression and what not with relevant quests and NPCs, but sorcery is absurdly useless until you are at endgame with crystal spells, 60 INT, and have one of the two staves that has S rank scaling. Pyromancy will scale with the raw INT investments you are making through the game, so use all of your titanite on the glove and make sure you get the important ones like Great Fireball/Great Chaos Fireball.

Use Simple/Fire/Chaos-infused weapons or the Crystal Sage's Rapier (crystal hail is unreliable garbage and not worth the soul) as your melee compliment. You can try to run Crystal infusion, but a lot of enemies are going to laugh in your face unless you've upgraded the hell out of the weapon's raw damage and you should be using titanite on the pyroglove.

This is good advice, and I know it's a few pages old but I wanted to Chime in a bit since I made a sorcerer that I've been leveling up this afternoon while I'm stuck on my main strength guy and got frustrated. (I'm level 40 now on this sorcerer, with 24 int so in the mid game crappy range for most actual spells).

I found that if you want to make a spellcaster, it is much, much easier if you get the Deep Battle Axe out of the mimic in the tower underneath the dragon in high wall.

This weapon has no stat scaling at all, and requires a mere 12 strength (you will need 13 for the rapier eventually anyway) so once I got to the point where my un-upgraded weapons and low stats were not keeping up damage wise with more powerful fast enemies it was a huge lifesaver for me. It allowed me to put out respectable melee damage with a minimal investment until I got the Crystal Sage Rapier. You could probably infuse something else with an element and get a similar result, but this is available early and free.

Sorceries are also useful due to the vertical nature of many levels. The main reason sorcerers suck in the mid game is that they spells generally don't do a ton of damage, cast times are slow and there are a ton of really aggressive enemies / bosses in this game. However, it seems like there are more multi-level areas than ever and you can very often exploit terrain to cast 4-5 greater souls arrows at the more methodical enemies while they are attempting to get to you, which will generally finish them off.

This helps a lot and made some of the guys that I hated on my main character (knights with shields, fattie spell casters with big maces, etc.) much simpler on the caster. In general I've found that I melee probably 75% of the time and cast spells at specific slower enemies or things that I can shoot from above.

I didn't actually use any pyromancy at all until recently, just because I started as a sorcerer and I sort of forgot about it by the time I had the trainer available. I didn't really want the extra faith points on the pyro starting class since I don't plan to use miracles.

GreatGreen posted:

I just wanted to say that you can run away from the thing and it will not follow past the end of the bridge. It shows up again later, but I had an easier time killing it towards the end of the area.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Are you on PC or console? Short of some sliding around and disconnects I've had no issues at all on PC

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Anyone know why hitting with both two blades does less damage than using R1? because that is bullshit.

I have no idea, but it was a really bizarre choice. Only thing worth mentioning is it may be nice, depending on a few things. Spell buffs. If they're more flat damage bonuses, then dual wield weapons are probably going to be really nice. The "2H" attacks don't cost any more stamina than the 1h, so where the weapon damage may end up being lower, IF spell buffs are unaffected, they'll be super rad. IF not-

The maybe they will be OK with Bleed/Poison weapons, but even then I suspect the build up will also be affected, and they're really drat stingie with the titanite, so I don't feel like testing poo poo out.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

a cop posted:

It's been working flawlessly for me on PS4.

Same, not a single issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Anyone have some tips for getting summoned as a Bluecop? I'm level 41, with a +2 Weapon (though it uses Titanite Scales, so I guess that counts as +4 for summoning?) and I've had the Blue Sentinel covenant equipped for literally hours with not a single invasion. Where the hell do I need to be hanging out to get some action? Am I underleveled? Over? What is the secret to these non-stop invasions people are talking about? I'm on PS4 too, which should be easier.