Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Old Pulteney is a distillery on the northernmost tip of the Highland region. It's owned by conglomerate called Inver House, which also owns AnCnoc, Balblair and Speyburn. I find all of them to have a similar base profile (sweet, syrupy, stone fruits like honeydew) as if their malting and fermenting processes are identical. Old Pulteney tastes like it has a hint of brine which can perhaps feel effervescent on the tongue. Balblair is generally richer, darker, candied. AnCnoc is fruitier, sweeter. Speyburn is like a younger, less intense AnCnoc.

That you had an 8-year-old makes me think you had an independent bottling. Often I find independent bottlings to taste more one-dimensional or 'generic' -- maybe a byproduct of them reusing exhausted oak barrels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

you should know that the OP 17 is one of the best whiskies I've ever had

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

kidsafe posted:

Old Pulteney is a distillery on the northernmost tip of the Highland region. It's owned by conglomerate called Inver House, which also owns AnCnoc, Balblair and Speyburn. I find all of them to have a similar base profile (sweet, syrupy, stone fruits like honeydew) as if their malting and fermenting processes are identical. Old Pulteney tastes like it has a hint of brine which can perhaps feel effervescent on the tongue. Balblair is generally richer, darker, candied. AnCnoc is fruitier, sweeter. Speyburn is like a younger, less intense AnCnoc.

That you had an 8-year-old makes me think you had an independent bottling. Often I find independent bottlings to taste more one-dimensional or 'generic' -- maybe a byproduct of them reusing exhausted oak barrels.

Thanks for the info - what does independent bottling mean though?

Google Butt posted:

you should know that the OP 17 is one of the best whiskies I've ever had
I'll keep an eye out for it then :)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Edit

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 28, 2016

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Was at an upscale place the other night for a nightcap, saw the Hibiki 12 at the bar. Glad I asked how much it was for a dram, $26! I was like no thanks, Mr. Bartender, gently caress that. He agreed that it was way, way overrated (as posters here advised) and instead gave me a gratis sip of Clear Creek. I hadn't heard of it before, and am no expert, but my buddy and I both found it smooth and enjoyable. Seek it out if you get a chance.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

$26 per DRAM? What the gently caress

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
At dinner the other night Hibiki 21 was 110 aussie dollars a dram...

My buddy ordered a double on the rocks and the waiter politely advised him of the price and suggested 2 bottles of sake to share at the table for the same price...

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
My wife just bought me a rather nice wedding day present.

I am exceedingly happy with this - full of flavour, especially with a drop of water. A lovely drink.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Amrut is great. It's bold, but it has an amazingly floral bouquet and initial grab. Intermediate Sherry is still my favorite from their line.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
I've never seen Amrut in D/FW area liquor stores. I would love to try it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Stumbled upon Eagle Rare at Total Wine today, I guess I'm now boarding the hype train.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

GEEKABALL posted:

I've never seen Amrut in D/FW area liquor stores. I would love to try it.

Total Wine sometimes carries it. I've seen it at the Plano store on 75. Their website says they seem to be out now, but it looks like Denton might have some.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

A friend of mine gave me a bit of Lagavulin 16 a while ago and I friggin' loved it, so I went to the LCBO to pick up a bottle in celebration of finally finishing school after 8 years.

Then I saw the price and picked up Glenfidditch 15 instead because holy drat.

I'm still happy that I have a bottle of something older than 12 years though - I can say I have a "special occasion" scotch now :v:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

A friend of mine gave me a bit of Lagavulin 16 a while ago and I friggin' loved it, so I went to the LCBO to pick up a bottle in celebration of finally finishing school after 8 years.

Then I saw the price and picked up Glenfidditch 15 instead because holy drat.

I'm still happy that I have a bottle of something older than 12 years though - I can say I have a "special occasion" scotch now :v:

Lagavulin 16 is a much better whisky than Glenfiddich 15.

Like, not even about taste but intrinsic quality.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Lagavulin 16 is a much better whisky than Glenfiddich 15.

Like, not even about taste but intrinsic quality.

I completely believe that, I just can't rationalize spending ~$130 on a bottle of scotch right now. Besides, I enjoy glenfiddich 12, I figure the 15 is probably the same but better, for only about $80

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

ChickenWing posted:

I completely believe that, I just can't rationalize spending ~$130 on a bottle of scotch right now. Besides, I enjoy glenfiddich 12, I figure the 15 is probably the same but better, for only about $80

Where are you that Lagavulin 16yr costs more than 80 bucks?

Hell, there's a county owned store in the DC area that occasionally sells it for 60.

EDIT: Never mind, saw that you're in Canada. That would explain it. :v:

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Here in Oregon Lagavulin 16 is currently $90. Luckily I have a friend who drives a truck/trailer down to California about once a month so I just ask him to stop at one of the discount liquor joints right near the border with Oregon. Don't think they had Lagavulin last time, but I did get Woodford Reserve for around $20/bottle so I loaded up on that!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

Wow that's quite expensive!

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Welcome to goddamn ontario. I just spent 180 dollars on Bunnahabhain 18 because I'm mentally ill?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Mahler posted:

Welcome to goddamn ontario. I just spent 180 dollars on Bunnahabhain 18 because I'm mentally ill?

Yep that sounds about right :shepspends:

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Laguavulin 16 was $63.xx around here for the longest time, then about 2 years ago went to $67.xx, and is now $73.xx. And unfortunately Laphroaig 10 has gone from $35.xx to $45.xx in the same amount of time.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't know that much about Japanese whiskey, but here I am in Japan and it seems a waste to go back without using my duty-free limit. Does anyone have suggestions as to interesting Japanese whiskies to pick up that are unavailable in the US? Bonus points if it's easily available at Haneda or a shop in Tokyo that's not at the rear end end of 11 obscure train lines.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

Yep that sounds about right :shepspends:

For around the same price as you paid for 15 year old Glenfiddich, you could have gotten Aultmore 12 year old. 46%, unchillfiltered natural color and Ralfy recommended (89/100) with good availability right around now. Other "reasonably priced" drams in Ontario (this is totally relative) are Glendronach 12 and Tobermory 10. For lightly peated there's Ledaig 10 as well. Honestly though, the whisky market is a total poo poo show and I kind of wonder why I bother sometimes. Seriously look at the friggin price points on Whiskybase and tell me the lcbo isn't rolling in verdant pastures of 20 dollar bills.

Mahler fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 9, 2016

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Reiterpallasch posted:

I don't know that much about Japanese whiskey, but here I am in Japan and it seems a waste to go back without using my duty-free limit. Does anyone have suggestions as to interesting Japanese whiskies to pick up that are unavailable in the US? Bonus points if it's easily available at Haneda or a shop in Tokyo that's not at the rear end end of 11 obscure train lines.
At this point, market forces have made "unavailable in the US" equate to virtually anything age stated, so any year marked Suntory (Yamazaki, Hibiki, etc) or Nikka, or even Nikka's cask strength "Whiskey From the Barrel" would be worth picking up.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Mahler posted:

For around the same price as you paid for 15 year old Glenfiddich, you could have gotten Aultmore 12 year old. 46%, unchillfiltered natural color and Ralfy recommended (89/100) with good availability right around now. Other "reasonably priced" drams in Ontario (this is totally relative) are Glendronach 12 and Tobermory 10. For lightly peated there's Ledaig 10 as well. Honestly though, the whisky market is a total poo poo show and I kind of wonder why I bother sometimes. Seriously look at the friggin price points on Whiskybase and tell me the lcbo isn't rolling in verdant pastures of 20 dollar bills.

welp

tbh I don't know poo poo about scotch and tend to not be good at straying from my comfort zone so I was basically condemned to re-buy something I knew the name of :v:

I'll try to remember these names when my Auchentoshan runs out though

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Inspector 34 posted:

Here in Oregon Lagavulin 16 is currently $90. Luckily I have a friend who drives a truck/trailer down to California about once a month so I just ask him to stop at one of the discount liquor joints right near the border with Oregon. Don't think they had Lagavulin last time, but I did get Woodford Reserve for around $20/bottle so I loaded up on that!

Wow that's a nice price on Woodford.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

In an attempt to jumpstart my bourbon education I tried Four Roses Small Batch, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, and the Maker's Mark that I already had on hand (never knew it was a wheat bourbon). Of all these I distinctly preferred Four Roses, which had a mildly spicy, mildly sweet, and overall quite pleasant character. The Eagle Rare had an odd oily flavor, though I tried it immediately after opening the bottle and it may change with some oxidation.

Setting up a blind tasting next weekend with a buddy and hopefully some more bottles.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

God *drat* rittenhouse rye makes a good old fashioned.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Vox Nihili posted:

The Eagle Rare had an odd oily flavor, though I tried it immediately after opening the bottle and it may change with some oxidation.

Did you notice the similarities between Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace? They use the same recipe/mashbill.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Reiterpallasch posted:

Go to any department store and look around. I would not recommend getting it at the airport since they are usually out of stock or only have very expensive bottles left.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

That Works posted:

Wow that's a nice price on Woodford.

Yeah, I was amazed to see it so low. That was nearly a year ago though so no idea if it's changed. Luckily I'm road tripping down to Sonoma in a couple months so I'll have an excuse to hit the discount liquor barn or whatever it's called again. Hoping they have a better selection of scotches by now.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Has anyone tried the Nikka Whisky Single Mat line - the Single Malt Yoichi and Miyagikyo? http://www.nikka.com/eng/products/single-malt/index.html

Or the Suntory Chita? I never heard of it before but saw a bottle of it at the local super market when I was in Japan - http://www.suntory.com/brands/chitawhisky/

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 13, 2016

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I'm new to whisky. Didn't even really care to get into it but my stepbrother bought me a bottle of Laphroaig Select for Christmas because he thought I was into whisky. This assumption was based on the fact that at parties I usually drink Jack Daniels and Coke. :v: But whatever, it's the thought that counts, and since I now own proper whisky I figured "well, I'll do the first glass the proper way, in a brandy glass neat, and if I can't stand it then the rest is going to drown in Coke".

As it stands I am now halfway through the bottle and it has never once been mixed with that poo poo! It's pretty good. After googling it extensively it appears that nobody online has anything good to say about the Laphroaig Select but I enjoy it well enough; it's my first scotch so I've got no real comparison. However, I assume I've got nowhere to go from here but up. Should I try a Laphroaig with a stated age? Or just move onto other kinds of whisky to narrow down what qualities I'm probably into?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I've recently got into whiskey, here are some amateur observations:

Bushmill's 10 - Smooth and delicate, somewhat sweet aftertaste?
Laphroaig 10 - Overwhelming taste and smell, "medicinal" is correct
Laphroaig Quarter Cask - Overwhelming like the 10, but predominantly peaty. I should try the two side-by-side, I think I marginally prefer the 10.
Redbreast 12 - Smooth like the Bushmill's, I'm not certain I could tell them apart. Very nice though.
Johnnie Walker Black - I had low expectations because this was "only" a blend, but it was pleasant if a bit bland.
Wild Turkey 101 - Intense flavor, although I'm not so fond of the vanillia (?) aftertaste. Good but bourbon might not be my thing.
Maker's Mark - Much worse than the Wild Turkey, harsh and lacking flavor.

Laphroaig is great but I'd like to try a more balanced scotch next. I'm feeling some sticker shock over prices, especially in comparison with bourbon or the blends. Are there any obvious "good value" options on the lower side of the price range? I was thinking I'd get Lagavulin 16 but it's ~$73 here which is hard to justify.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Nocturtle posted:

Are there any obvious "good value" options on the lower side of the price range?

Balvenie doublewood 12 is pretty commonly recommended and is something like $50

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
That's a good price on the Lagavulin. I hereby give you permission to buy it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Nocturtle posted:

I've recently got into whiskey, here are some amateur observations:

Bushmill's 10 - Smooth and delicate, somewhat sweet aftertaste?
Laphroaig 10 - Overwhelming taste and smell, "medicinal" is correct
Laphroaig Quarter Cask - Overwhelming like the 10, but predominantly peaty. I should try the two side-by-side, I think I marginally prefer the 10.
Redbreast 12 - Smooth like the Bushmill's, I'm not certain I could tell them apart. Very nice though.
Johnnie Walker Black - I had low expectations because this was "only" a blend, but it was pleasant if a bit bland.
Wild Turkey 101 - Intense flavor, although I'm not so fond of the vanillia (?) aftertaste. Good but bourbon might not be my thing.
Maker's Mark - Much worse than the Wild Turkey, harsh and lacking flavor.

Laphroaig is great but I'd like to try a more balanced scotch next. I'm feeling some sticker shock over prices, especially in comparison with bourbon or the blends. Are there any obvious "good value" options on the lower side of the price range? I was thinking I'd get Lagavulin 16 but it's ~$73 here which is hard to justify.

I wouldn't say QC is more peaty...It's smokier in a way, but it's more of a wood smoke. I also wouldn't characterized Redbreast 12 as anything like Bushmills, but it's your tongue I guess.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

Balvenie doublewood 12 is pretty commonly recommended and is something like $50

Thanks, I'll look out for it.

kidsafe posted:

I wouldn't say QC is more peaty...It's smokier in a way, but it's more of a wood smoke. I also wouldn't characterized Redbreast 12 as anything like Bushmills, but it's your tongue I guess.

This is probably correct, I did have the Bushmill's a while ago. I remember it was pretty satisfying for the price, which isn't to say Redbreast isn't great.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Nocturtle posted:

Thanks, I'll look out for it.

This is probably correct, I did have the Bushmill's a while ago. I remember it was pretty satisfying for the price, which isn't to say Redbreast isn't great.

Highland park 12, is another well balanced scotch for under $50.
It has more peat to it than the balvenie as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Dropped in to my local whisky pushers for a new Glelcairn glass, after cracking my last one. He was sold out.

So I accidently ended up with a 20cl bottle of this instead;

(The Benromach, not the Appletons)

Not a bad little whisky for the price (NZ$34 for the small bottle, NZ$80 for a 70cl) Nice brown sugar/vanilla/slightly peaty nose, just a touch of smoke on the tongue. Drinking it out a small-ish brandy balloon will have to suffice until he restocks his glassware.