Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

G0RF posted:

That's very flattering, truly -- disquieting a little bit too if true but I would hope even those who dislike or dismiss my writing would consider it fair to all parties involved. Even the few who obviously wouldn't will still find times in my writing where I've defended them against an unfair claim or uncorroborated rumor. I write what I wish I could read somewhere else and mourn that what is so obvious to so many here is known to so few.

The tragedy of this -- all of this -- is that something truly amazing was within reach at one time. And as obvious as it is from here, how much more painful must that be for all the people working at CIG who are NOT a Roberts? Or a "friend of Chris"? I know many here feel that empathetic sting because they've memories of working on that thing that could've but SO GREAT but for a few toxic people at the top. And many of them work there now.

What CIG has become it became through hubris and vanity, dishonesty and greed... It is easy to focus on the technical missteps, and they are myriad, and were dictated by the top. But for all the technical missteps like CryEngine, for all the operational missteps, like splitting it all into modules handled by teams all over the place and hoping to cobble it together into something grand, there are as many moral missteps-- and those are the ones which will hurt more than any other when the find accounting is done. People inside CIG, people who once were but were fired or left in frustration, have already started THAT accounting.

One day-- the things we remark upon in laughter or horror here, the story we've largely agreed upon-- the one that can't be told but must be told, WILL BE TOLD. It won't be a secret chuckled and sneered and lamented by goons, it won't be a story whispered about by frustrated and miserable employees struggling to make the best of a bad hand.

It will be settled history, carved in stone and erected over the remains of what could have been, and it will read "Here lies CIG. It was the only thing they were good at."

(sorry that turned into an unplanned effort post-- as you were folks. And thank you, EightAce, and anybody at CIG who visits this forums wondering why nobody understands what you are going through. We do, and it's wrong, and you deserve better than this.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

me reading this thread

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Risc1911 posted:

Effort Post incoming...

Just recently Chris Roberts said they are "re-factoring" the server and client net-code. At this point CIG does not have a network solution and will most likely not have one in the near future. What they have is the standard CryEngine network stack and server slightly modified (read hacked) to support a few more players.

We also heard they are sending Megabytes of data to the clients which in turn means they have not even started to optimize the serialization of their objects which is frightening to say the least.

Since they have not even started with persistence they do not have any infrastructure or server code for that either. The only thing they have is an account database for the web users which might be re-usable for the login server but most certainly not for the MMO account server.

People think making a MMO is hard because of all the content and the size. That is unfortunately not true. You can throw a ton of artists and level designers at a project without running into much of a problem, given your workflow and management is competent. They will create your art and content effortlessly when directed by professionals. Content creation scales really well in that regard.

Programming does not scale well at all even with stellar management. Especially not specialized tasks like networking or engine optimization. You can't throw 20 programmers at it, it will only slow things down. These are 1-3 man team efforts by highly qualified developers. Every code monkey can write you a quick sort but can they write you a quick sort in ASM that uses only 64 kilobytes and sorts through gigabytes of data in seconds? You get the idea.

The hardest part for CIG will be to get a stable and fast network architecture up and running. Typical MMO network architecture is extremely complex.

1. Web facing Firewall and Proxy(s)
2. Load balancing servers that spread the traffic to available login servers.
3. Login and account servers with Account Database and Backup Account Database servers.
4. Dispatch servers that hand off clients to the area server manager depending on where the players are.
5. Area Server Manager that dispatches the clients to instances.
6. World, NPC and Item Database plus Backups.

That is just a broad overview and all of these have to be developed and optimized to work flawlessly together under high load. They need to be written from scratch since every game is different. You can of cause buy a solution but it will limit you in the long run.

This is as much of a Hardware as it is a Software challenge. Physically setting up those Servers is critical to the overall success. Using cloud solutions is doomed to be a failure unless you are making a simple browser game or similar simple software. You want hundreds of clients at the same time, you better get your hands dirty and set-up those servers in your own network centre.

I have worked as a C++ Tech optimizing source code for network servers, game engines and financial software and i can tell you that i don't see CIG as a company that will be able to deliver anything remotely stable and playable in terms of network performance. Given time, they might tackle it, we are talking 3-4 years here with multiple failed attempts and serious scaling back of the initial promises.

I think they will be out of money and belly up long before we even get to the whole network infrastructure problems.

:five: I'm literally in love with you due to the sheer quality of this post.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Risc1911 also makes a lot of good technical effortposts, but he also has a knack for bottomsniping pages with them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lol seraph re-reg here to get refund help. What a loving moron.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

BattleMaster posted:

me reading this thread

Are people pissing on those otters?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

Those are clearly lamas.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

peter gabriel posted:

please do not piss on the chinchillas

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I really enjoyed today's posting for the most part

I just wanted to thank each and every one of you for just posting

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/326630/star-citizen-overpriced-especially-for-some-parts-of-the-world

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6566754/#Comment_6566754

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6567417/#Comment_6567417

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

they are enjoying it with the wisdom of a sage

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

BattleMaster posted:

Pissing on any animal is a big no no to me

Apart from maybe slugs, I dunno

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

anabelle is saying the word "jack" like rick says the word "morty"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

surely those are coypus

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

peter gabriel posted:

:japan:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol seraph re-reg here to get refund help. What a loving moron.

i thought he was a billionaire from bitcoins :(

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Eonwe posted:

i do not like popeyes biscuits

look at this fuckin guy

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

anabelle is saying the word "jack" like rick says the word "morty"

Pro

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Ash1138 posted:

your username takes on a whole new meaning

It's not like she hasn't played at being young before

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Also, wow, pogs

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

VealCutlet posted:

More greyhounds please

hi

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Pissing on any animal is a big no no to me

Apart from maybe slugs, I dunno

I bet some animals would enjoy it. You just have to find the right ones.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Apparently you're supposed to piss on tomatoes?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That's lemon trees

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I though you were supposed to piss on all vegetables? :ohdear:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Wafflz posted:

look at this fuckin guy

Well to be fair, those things are more butter than biscuit.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

MeLKoR posted:

I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

this sounds like the prologue to some kind of ELE

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Catte.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

FrankieGoes posted:

I bet some animals would enjoy it. You just have to find the right ones.

I can imagine a Sea Cucumber being up for it

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So Ben's got his tattoo done.

I can understand people being nostalic for the Wing Commander games. I think everyone gets nostalic for stuff from their youth regardless of how good it actually was or how well it stands the test of time. But the Wing Commander movie? The thing even fans of the games thought was awful? That's mind-blowing. What I find myself most curious about is how Croberts reacted when first meeting Lesnick. Consider Roberts' position: he got to make his big movie, his big break into real directing, and it flopped. It flopped so badly that he had to settle for pumping money into other people's films until he hosed even that up and got run out of Hollywood. The movie has not become a cult classic, or even been able to find an audience as a "so bad, it's good" film. This thing basically ruined your life. Then you meet this guy who professes to be your biggest fan (in more ways than one) and he's openly wearing a replica prop from your greatest failure. How do you not think "gently caress off, you're taking the piss"?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

That's a quality catte.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sunswipe posted:

:negative:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Enjoy one of my chill dogges.

Thank god. A dog that isn't a Blue Eyes White Yuppie dog.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Risc1911 posted:

Effort Post incoming...

Just recently Chris Roberts said they are "re-factoring" the server and client net-code. At this point CIG does not have a network solution and will most likely not have one in the near future. What they have is the standard CryEngine network stack and server slightly modified (read hacked) to support a few more players.

We also heard they are sending Megabytes of data to the clients which in turn means they have not even started to optimize the serialization of their objects which is frightening to say the least.

Since they have not even started with persistence they do not have any infrastructure or server code for that either. The only thing they have is an account database for the web users which might be re-usable for the login server but most certainly not for the MMO account server.

People think making a MMO is hard because of all the content and the size. That is unfortunately not true. You can throw a ton of artists and level designers at a project without running into much of a problem, given your workflow and management is competent. They will create your art and content effortlessly when directed by professionals. Content creation scales really well in that regard.

Programming does not scale well at all even with stellar management. Especially not specialized tasks like networking or engine optimization. You can't throw 20 programmers at it, it will only slow things down. These are 1-3 man team efforts by highly qualified developers. Every code monkey can write you a quick sort but can they write you a quick sort in ASM that uses only 64 kilobytes and sorts through gigabytes of data in seconds? You get the idea.

The hardest part for CIG will be to get a stable and fast network architecture up and running. Typical MMO network architecture is extremely complex.

1. Web facing Firewall and Proxy(s)
2. Load balancing servers that spread the traffic to available login servers.
3. Login and account servers with Account Database and Backup Account Database servers.
4. Dispatch servers that hand off clients to the area server manager depending on where the players are.
5. Area Server Manager that dispatches the clients to instances.
6. World, NPC and Item Database plus Backups.

That is just a broad overview and all of these have to be developed and optimized to work flawlessly together under high load. They need to be written from scratch since every game is different. You can of cause buy a solution but it will limit you in the long run.

This is as much of a Hardware as it is a Software challenge. Physically setting up those Servers is critical to the overall success. Using cloud solutions is doomed to be a failure unless you are making a simple browser game or similar simple software. You want hundreds of clients at the same time, you better get your hands dirty and set-up those servers in your own network centre.

I have worked as a C++ Tech optimizing source code for network servers, game engines and financial software and i can tell you that i don't see CIG as a company that will be able to deliver anything remotely stable and playable in terms of network performance. Given time, they might tackle it, we are talking 3-4 years here with multiple failed attempts and serious scaling back of the initial promises.

I think they will be out of money and belly up long before we even get to the whole network infrastructure problems.

Hi from page 3220 - these kinds of posts are my absolute favorite part of the thread. Just calm assessments of the technical challenges that CIG clearly doesn't have the money or talent to get locked down. I don't know poo poo about programming to really understand the problems they are trying to solve but this helps clear that up a bit

I hope all you software developers tune in for when they poo poo out 2.4 because it is apparently completely different from the existing PU system.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

ewe2 posted:

I can't play the guitar solo tho. It would have to be some kind of terrible keyboard solo. And you wouldn't want that.

that's where you're wrong, I live for bad solos of any kind (which I can play on many instruments :gary:)

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
This thread is the real life Eye of Terror, please never change

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Sunswipe posted:

escalation in ben's quest to defile his body

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
lol, trying to keep that blubbering mound of flesh still while trying to tattoo. Artist probably had to put vicks on his upper lip like you see coroners in the movies do.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Ragequit posted:

Been awhile since I used the Android app, but you should be able to click the page number at the top and scroll/type a new page number.

Omg thank you I have no idea how I didn't figure that out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

he was under the stimperors orders to produce more social media hype

or else

• Locked thread