Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

tonytheshoes posted:

The new Caroline Alexander translation of The Iliad is $.99 on Amazon today--anyone read this version? I've never read The Iliad before, but it looks like a good one...

I had a look at the first page and it seems fine but not as nice as the Lattimore translation. For comparison:

Alexander version
Wrath - sing, goddess, of the ruinous wrath of Peleus' son Achilles,
that inflicted woes without number on the Achaeans,
hurled forth to Hades many strong souls of warriors,
and rendered their bodies prey for the dogs,
for all birds, and the will of Zeus was accomplished;
sing from when they two first stood in conflict -
Atreus' son, lord of men, and godlike Achilles.

Lattimore
Sing, goddess, the anger of Peleus’ son Achilleus
and its devastation, which put pains thousandfold upon the Achaians,
hurled in their multitudes to the house of Hades strong souls
of heroes, but gave their bodies to be the delicate feasting
of dogs, of all birds, and the will of Zeus was accomplished
since that time when first there stood in division of conflict
Atreus’ son the lord of men and brilliant Achilleus.

Lattimore's is more poetic I guess, it's written in metre, while Alexander says she's more for trying to make it seem conversational, or like being told a story. Alexander also says she tried to translate line by line so hers will be more directly faithful to the original than Lattimore's, because Lattimore needed to change words around to get the metre right. Lattimore's Iliad is at times one of the most beautiful things I've ever read so I'd say go for that personally, but if you're not into the somewhat archaic style of the Lattimore or you care a lot about accuracy for some reason then the Alexander looks like an okay shout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Caustic Chimera posted:

Guys, you should read The Shore by Sara Taylor. It's this book of interconnected stories (I'm beginning to think I like this type very much. Recommend me some) with this place as the setting. It jumps back and forth in time, and is centered around these two families. It's a pretty dark book, showing the uglier side of people, but it's a really compelling read. Read it.

The Fun Parts by Sam Lipsyte is that kind of book and is good. There's no uglier side it's all hideous the most beautiful person on the planet squeezes pus out of their face. I'm excited for the High Rise movie to come out so we can watch british people be horrible to dogs and each other aka an average weekend on that miserable island. And jeremy irons i guess.

Anyways I read Seven Houses in France by Bernardo Atxaba a little while back and enjoyed it very much, does anyone one have any other basque books to reccomend? or really anything melancholy and violent will do

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

WatermelonGun posted:

The Fun Parts by Sam Lipsyte is that kind of book and is good. There's no uglier side it's all hideous the most beautiful person on the planet squeezes pus out of their face.

I'm not sure why goodreads gave me an Italian description of this book, but once I found an English description it sounded very interesting. My library doesn't have it, so I'll have to buy it I guess, but whatever, I wanted to buy some books anyway. Thanks! I could go for something that's less of a downer.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

CestMoi posted:

I had a look at the first page and it seems fine but not as nice as the Lattimore translation. For comparison:

Alexander version
Wrath - sing, goddess, of the ruinous wrath of Peleus' son Achilles,
that inflicted woes without number on the Achaeans,
hurled forth to Hades many strong souls of warriors,
and rendered their bodies prey for the dogs,
for all birds, and the will of Zeus was accomplished;
sing from when they two first stood in conflict -
Atreus' son, lord of men, and godlike Achilles.

Lattimore
Sing, goddess, the anger of Peleus’ son Achilleus
and its devastation, which put pains thousandfold upon the Achaians,
hurled in their multitudes to the house of Hades strong souls
of heroes, but gave their bodies to be the delicate feasting
of dogs, of all birds, and the will of Zeus was accomplished
since that time when first there stood in division of conflict
Atreus’ son the lord of men and brilliant Achilleus.

Lattimore's is more poetic I guess, it's written in metre, while Alexander says she's more for trying to make it seem conversational, or like being told a story. Alexander also says she tried to translate line by line so hers will be more directly faithful to the original than Lattimore's, because Lattimore needed to change words around to get the metre right. Lattimore's Iliad is at times one of the most beautiful things I've ever read so I'd say go for that personally, but if you're not into the somewhat archaic style of the Lattimore or you care a lot about accuracy for some reason then the Alexander looks like an okay shout.

Thanks for the opinion! I broke down and bought it anyway since it's 99 cents, but I will have my wife grab the Lattimore version from the library she works at and read a little bit of both.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

anyone got any reqs for kurdish literature (novels or poetry)? whether it's from the diaspora or from within turkish, iraqi or iranian kurdistan doesn't matter

HHammond
Dec 25, 2011
I've never really read that many plays and it's something I'd like to read more of. I know you should really see plays but it's difficult actually finding productions that are close by! I've been reading a lot of Sarah Kane recently who I think is an absolute genius and was wondering if anyone could recommend me any other playwrights? Not necessarily like Kane but preferably modern-ish.

Also, about to read a bunch of Virginia Woolf novels for university. Was wondering what the thoughts on her are around here? Personally, I think she's a genius.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

HHammond posted:

Also, about to read a bunch of Virginia Woolf novels for university. Was wondering what the thoughts on her are around here? Personally, I think she's a genius.

Eh. She's no Suzanne Collins.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Speaking of the Iliad, I'm nearly finished with the Fagles version and god drat is it good. Lattimore is the most accurate, but I don't seem to get on with the longer-lined six-beat Iliads - if you're reading for pleasure instead of studying then Fagles is excellent imo.

Here's Achilles before he kills Hector in Lattimore:

quote:

IL.22.260 Then looking darkly at him swift-footed Achilleus answered:
IL.22.261 'Hektor, argue me no agreements. I cannot forgive you.
IL.22.262 As there are no trustworthy oaths between men and lions,
IL.22.263 nor wolves and lambs have spirit that can be brought to agreement
IL.22.264 but forever these hold feelings of hate for each other,
IL.22.265 so there can be no love between you and me, nor shall there be
IL.22.266 oaths between us, but one or the other must fall before then
IL.22.267 to glut with his blood Ares the god who fights under the shield's guard.
IL.22.268 Remember every valour of yours, for now the need comes
IL.22.269 hardest upon you to be a spearman and a bold warrior.
IL.22.270 There shall be no more escape for you, but Pallas Athene
IL.22.271 will kill you soon by my spear. You will pay in a lump for all those
IL.22.272 sorrows of my companions you killed in your spear's fury.'

In Fagles:

quote:

A swift dark glance
and the headstrong runner answered, “Hector, stop!
You unforgivable, you ... don’t talk to me of pacts.
There are no binding oaths between men and lions—
wolves and lambs can enjoy no meeting of the minds—
they are all bent on hating each other to the death.
So with you and me. No love between us. No truce
till one or the other falls and gluts with blood
Ares who hacks at men behind his rawhide shield.
Come, call up whatever courage you can muster.
Life or death—now prove yourself a spearman,
a daring man of war! No more escape for you—
Athena will kill you with my spear in just a moment.
Now you’ll pay at a stroke for all my comrades’ grief,
all you killed in the fury of your spear!”

I mean yeah he's taken some liberties but they make for a far more stirring story than some dude who's supposed to be pissed about his best friend being dead standing there blandly saying "Yep you're gonna die :geno:". Lattimore's accuracy also leads to weird constructions like "pay in a lump" and "one-foot horse" (instead of rearing horse) which I really dislike. YMMV.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm not sure the Lattimore is especially more accurate, and beyond a certain point that's a stupid thing to want for a translation anyway. I love it for capturing what I think of as the feeling of Epic Poetry, which is a feeling I don't really get when I read unmetred translations for whatever reason. Also Achilles seems equally pissed in both of those trnaslations to me, just Lattimore's doesn't have an exclamation mark at the end.

Iliad translation is a cool subject so I looked up that section in Pope's Iliad

"Talk not of oaths (the dreadful chief replies,
While anger flash'd from his disdainful eyes),
Detested as thou art, and ought to be,
Nor oath nor pact Achilles plights with thee:
Such pacts as lambs and rabid wolves combine,
Such leagues as men and furious lions join,
To such I call the gods! one constant state
Of lasting rancour and eternal hate:
No thought but rage, and never-ceasing strife,
Till death extinguish rage, and thought, and life.
Rouse then thy forces this important hour,
Collect thy soul, and call forth all thy power.
No further subterfuge, no further chance;
'Tis Pallas, Pallas gives thee to my lance.
Each Grecian ghost, by thee deprived of breath,
Now hovers round, and calls thee to thy death."

Which is a lovely translation to read in little segments like this but trying to read the whole thing is difficult to say the least

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

You're not allowed to say bad things about Lattimore because it sounds like how I translate Latin

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CestMoi posted:

I love it for capturing what I think of as the feeling of Epic Poetry

This is where you erred.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

HHammond posted:

I've never really read that many plays and it's something I'd like to read more of. I know you should really see plays but it's difficult actually finding productions that are close by! I've been reading a lot of Sarah Kane recently who I think is an absolute genius and was wondering if anyone could recommend me any other playwrights? Not necessarily like Kane but preferably modern-ish.

You should check out the Angry Young Men if you were into Sarah Kane. Pinter is definitely your best bet, Kane was a late-life student of his from what I remember. John Osbourne and Edward Bond are good too but don't have the surrealist bent that Kane and Pinter do. If you want something more contemporary check out Jez Butterworth's Jerusalem or Mojo.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is where you erred.

drat cant believe I thought about my personal preferences liek some kind of idiot.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

So today I are been mostly reading William Morris, especially his earlier stuff The Defence of Guenevere. This is from before he properly imbued his medievalism with Marxism, so it's all a bit airy-fairy and sweeping in its social order (certainly not as complex as News from Nowhere), but if we're talking about appropriating and translating time-periods and the like then I think this is a really good approximation of how drat cool and even pretty Middle English can be. Importantly, to make this a bit on topic, it captures that spirit of a medieval story so well, while being a bit different. It's so cool to read someone who finds something new and interesting to do with the most cliched of cliched scenes: the lovers meeting in the garden.

quote:

There, see you, where the soft still light yet lingers,
Round by the edges; what should I have done,
If this had joined with yellow spotted singers,

And startling green drawn upward by the sun?
But shouting, loosed out, see now! all my hair,
And trancedly stood watching the west wind run

With faintest half-heard breathing sound: why there
I lose my head e'en now in doing this;
But shortly listen: In that garden fair

Came Launcelot walking; this is true, the kiss
Wherewith we kissed in meeting that spring day,
I scarce dare talk of the remember'd bliss,

When both our mouths went wandering in one way,
And aching sorely, met among the leaves;
Our hands being left behind strained far away.

Somehow this gets me, it just bypasses all the cynicism I've been bred to have. It just so perfectly captures the tone of a medieval love lyric (enraptured, slightly sad) and really interestingly makes Guenevere a Wife of Bath type character who can't help but recalling how sexy Launcelot is even when lashing out at her detractors.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I just finished Voices from Chernobyl and it was great and haunting but it also gave me nightmares about fleeing an irradiated post-apocalyptic city but then zombies showed up because I am a loving nerd

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

Guy A. Person posted:

I just finished Voices from Chernobyl and it was great and haunting but it also gave me nightmares about fleeing an irradiated post-apocalyptic city but then zombies showed up because I am a loving nerd

Haha nice one. That's definitely up there on my TBR.

But to celebrate a payrise I bought Zone, House of Leaves, poems by Ginsberg and The Sisters Brothers. There was a gorgeous 400th ann. edition of Don Quixote which had me salivating, goddamn.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I popped in an Oxfam shop in Kensington yesterday, and somebody had dumped a box of world lit superstars in there or something, because I got Arlt's 'The Seven Madmen', Walser's 'The Tanners', Nothomb's 'Loving Sabotage', Ugrešič's 'The Ministry of Pain' and Ogawa's 'The Diving Pool' for 10 pounds while a friend of mine got Kadare and an anthology of Eastern European poetry. if I didn't have to take a plane I would've gotten 10 books more, so whoever's in London should really check it out over the weekend.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oxfams usually have a book department with a section for old copies of classics and rares put out at random, it's only a tiny portion of what they have and if you ask them nicely they will check the stockroom for you or let you go up there and rummage.

hooked on Fauxnics
Dec 23, 2013
A friend of mine was listening to an audio book of Crime and Punishment, and while I don't think he liked it, and hasn't listened to it since, we were talking and he said one thing he did like was that Dostoyevsky didn't use too many similies and metaphores, "unlike most western authors".

This seemed like a really weird generalization to me but maybe I just haven't noticed it, so does the illustrious child loving thread have anything to say about this?

Also please help me decide whether to read Mishima's Spring Snow or Gaddis' The Recognitions next, thanks.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

hooked on Fauxnics posted:

This seemed like a really weird generalization to me but maybe I just haven't noticed it, so does the illustrious child loving thread have anything to say about this?

I suppose I can only really speak in weird generalities too, but my instinct is that our tastes really are informed a lot by simile and metaphor, so much so that we barely notice. A lot of what we associate with subtlety and artifice (which we like and are always good) definitely comes from this notion that they're necessarily operating on a deeper level than the literal which is duh, obvious, and requires no work (which we don't like so much and is bad). Often a literary analysis can boil down to "This means that", because that's what we look for.

If you read medieval literature you get a sense of just how much tastes can change. In the late medieval period (and probably in the early too, I don't know) there was less of a distinction between high- and low-brow literature. What we would term sophisticated medieval literature, like Chaucer, rubbed shoulders with medieval romances, often seen now as formulaic poo poo, to society's loss. While Chaucer uses a lot of stuff like metaphor, irony, all that jazz which we associate with 'craft', medieval romances got a lot of mileage out of being incredibly literal. This might be part of why we dislike them. Like, Richard the Lionheart isn't a metaphorical name, he literally ate a lion's heart as a child, and that's how he dominates as a hero. So his ship eats Saracens when he sails to the Holy Land and spews them out. And he himself eats Saracens. If you count the number of similes in Middle English romances I'd be surprised if you come up with more than five per romance. One of the many patronising adjectives people would use about such romances is 'clunky' or 'primitive' because of this, which is a Bad Opinion because they're really enjoyable and interesting. We like to think of literature as a progression, standing on the shoulders of giants towards ever greater levels of craft etc etc. So yeah, maybe your friend has a point.

But who doesn't like simile and metaphor, come on?

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Part of me wants to say that's (generally) a totally valid complaint, but it's sort of like your friend is upset that they have to do the heavy lifting or extra processing while reading instead of the author doing it on the page for him/her. I don't know Dostoevsky's work well enough to really talk about it, but I do have a literary hate-boner for Andre Breton and this is tangentially related:

First Manifesto of Surrealism posted:

If the declarative style, pure and simple, of which the sentence just offered is an example, is almost the rule in novels, it is because, as one must recognise, the authors’ ambition is quite limited. The circumstantial, needlessly specific, nature of their respective writings, leads me to think they are amusing themselves at my expense. They spare me not a single one of their issues of characterisation: will he be fair-haired, what will he be called, will we encounter him in summer? So many questions, resolved once and for all, haphazardly; the only power of choice I am left with is to close the book, which I take care to do at about the first page. And the descriptions! Nothing can be compared to their vacuity; it is nothing but the superimposition of images from a catalogue, the author employs them more and more readily, he seizes the opportunity to slip me postcards, he tries to make me fall in step with him in public places:

‘The small room into which the young man was shown was decorated with yellow wallpaper: there were geraniums and muslin curtains in the windows; the setting sun cast a harsh light over all.There was nothing special about the chamber. The furniture, of yellow wood, was all quite old. A sofa with a tall curved back, an oval table opposite the sofa, a dressing table and mirror set against the overmantel, chairs against the walls, two or three etchings of little value, representing German girls holding birds in their hands – amounted to all the furniture.’ (Dostoevsky, Crime and Punishment)

I am in no mood to admit, even for a moment, that the mind welcomes such motifs. It may be argued that this childish description has its place, and that at this point in the novel the author has his reasons for burdening me with it, but he is wasting his time since I avoid entering his room. The idleness, the fatigue of others does not interest me. I have too fragile a notion of life’s continuity to equate my moments of depression and weakness with my best. I prefer one to be silent, when one ceases to feel. Understand that I am not condemning lack of originality for its lack of originality. I simply say that I take no notice of the empty hours of life, and that it may be an unworthy action for any man to crystallise out those which seem so to him. Allow me to ignore that description of a room, along with a host of others.

http://poetsofmodernity.xyz/POMBR/French/Manifesto.htm

Maybe your friend is really into Breton.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

J_RBG posted:

But who doesn't like simile and metaphor, come on?
Most "literary" simile is embarrassingly clunky and feels forced. If simile/metaphor glides by almost unnoticed because of how smooth or apt the association is, great. If I'm required to stop reading in order to unpack what the gently caress the relationship between these concepts is, it'd better be clever. Some writers are very good at using them without it being intrusive. Some writers are very good at poetic curveballs. Some writers can't do either, and the smart ones in that group don't try.

Transparent extended metaphors can also lead to a work's message or meaning coming across as dopey and obvious. Basically I guess my point is we may all like good simile and metaphor.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I tend to like good things, and dislike bad things.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

I tend to like good things, and dislike bad things.

It's the opposite for me.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Disjointed philosophical tangents are the highest form of literary art

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

CestMoi posted:

It's the opposite for me.

explains the Calvino obsession

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

:henget:

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Ras Het posted:

Disjointed philosophical tangents are the highest form of literary art

Agreed

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Actually videogames in VR are highest form of literary art

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm gonna read Anathem

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

It's not good

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Man, Christopher Brookmyre really wanted a quote on the cover of a book.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't that book about debate and philosophy but also about a how a certain school of thought is just evil and crazydumb? Because it seems rather self-defeating.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i don't know, why don't you read the kilopage+ book by cyberpunk author neal stephenson, the author who looks like this, and then get back to me

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I always choose my books based on how with-it the author's style is

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

blue squares posted:

I always choose my books based on how with-it the author's style is

the fact that he looks like a goober is, in this case, a Dickensian indication that "the dude who spent $500k failing to make a 'realistic' swordfighting game" is in fact a huge goober and his books are bad

we could discuss this more in one of the three stephenson or cyberpunk threads currently on the front page of this particular forum.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

i wish real books had covers this awesome. i'd be able to read proust without my friends thinking i'm pretentious

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

All of the things in this book seem to be the names of real things, but with one letter changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Suspected Reference
Sarthians: Parthians