Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

bradzilla posted:

Do you really not know that there's a hole on the other side of the lid to insert the cover?

Really? Well that's awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Also avoid getting caught in bad weather for the rest of your life. I hope your resigned to lugging an umbrella around everywhere forever. My cold came because of getting caught in a Hailstorm in Mid Spring! England's bizarre weather in action.

Wait, our weather carries viral infections now?

edit: To expand on the flu shot thing, people who don't get the shot because "Last time I got it, I caught the flu* the next day!" I happen to be one of the lucky people with Type 1 diabetes and so am in one of the 'at risk' groups that needs to get one every year. Thanks for putting me at risk, dick!

*probably just a bad/not even bad cold and also a coincidence

Wrath of Mordark has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Apr 13, 2016

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Wrath of Mordark posted:

edit: To expand on the flu shot thing, people who don't get the shot because "Last time I got it, I caught the flu* the next day!" I happen to be one of the lucky people with Type 1 diabetes and so am in one of the 'at risk' groups that needs to get one every year. Thanks for putting me at risk, dick!

*probably just a bad/not even bad cold

I learned recently that when you first get the shot you're a bit more susceptible to colds and the like for a couple of days. Explains this persistent myth; I wish people giving out shots would mention it!

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Fun Shoe
I didn't know that. Interesting.

The other peeve is people confusing flu/cold. Similar symptoms only one completely fucks you over.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
People who go to the doctor and demand antibiotics for a flu or cold make me irrationally angry.

Although maybe it's rational anger, since the doctors giving into them demands has, in part, caused an increase in antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Wrath of Mordark posted:

I never implied that it did, but can't it lower your body temperature and weaken your immune system to make you more susceptible? I often get colds when caught in bad weather.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sorry, should have read that one a bit better. I believe that can be the case.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sometimes the campus Starbucks runs out of lids so they borrow them from Costa but they don't quite fit and you often spill a bit when drinking.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

self-peeve: I really wish I didn't freak out in my head from every little bit of criticism, even if it is constructive.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Maggie Fletcher posted:

People who go to the doctor and demand antibiotics for a flu or cold make me irrationally angry.

Although maybe it's rational anger, since the doctors giving into them demands has, in part, caused an increase in antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Especially as it fucks the rest of us up when we have a more serious infection and doctors just dismiss it as a cold and refuse to prescribe anything.

A few winters back I had an awful throat/sinus infection which was causing me to cough so much that I was doing actual physical damage to my throat. It took three trips to the doctor before they were convinced that a hot lemon drink was not enough.

Pet peeve: lazy loving doctors who don't listen.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Peeves: people who stand around at the gym, taking up space. Yo, it's cool if you're lazy, because your gym fees help keep mine low. But if you're not going to use that machine, get the gently caress off it. (I'm not talking about people who are resting between sets. I'm talking about people who sit there looking at their phone or staring at other gym patrons for ten minutes while the rest of us are working.)

It's not the biggest problem at my gym but I just looove walking up to people that use the machine as a nice resting place and ask how many sets they still have. Gets them on the wrong foot almost every time and I have a machine for me now.

Gym related peeve: people using the machine not the intended way, :wtf: you train shoulders on the standing calf raise machine and why did you think doing shrugs on the incline bench machine is a smart idea? There are machines exactly for those exercises freely available...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Helios Grime posted:

Gym related peeve: people using the machine not the intended way, :wtf: you train shoulders on the standing calf raise machine and why did you think doing shrugs on the incline bench machine is a smart idea? There are machines exactly for those exercises freely available...

One of Cracked's columnists once requested for gyms to instate an Amateur Hour, precisely to avoid things like this (or at least to let them make those mistakes in peace), so people like him can just go in and figure this poo poo out themselves.

I still stand by this being a great idea.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

One of Cracked's columnists once requested for gyms to instate an Amateur Hour, precisely to avoid things like this (or at least to let them make those mistakes in peace), so people like him can just go in and figure this poo poo out themselves.

I still stand by this being a great idea.

Oh the guy isn't an amateur in the true sense, he knows what the machine is truly for but his super special No.1 workout needs to be as convoluted as possible. Imagine Crossfit with machines and less hot chicks.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I really want to know what on a person's phone could possibly be so loving important that they have to read/view it while walking up/down the stairs to a train station. What on earth couldn't wait until you're on the platform/outside? The train station near my apartment is above ground so it's not like these idiots are going to lose service either.

Another pet peeve: people who ascend/descend the stairs and just stop directly in front of the stairs for no discernible reason. What goes on in these people's brains? :psyduck:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

Another pet peeve: people who ascend/descend the stairs and just stop directly in front of the stairs for no discernible reason. What goes on in these people's brains? :psyduck:
Had a guy do this at the top of an airport escalator yesterday. Thanks for forcing me and my mom to careen into you with luggage at a great height, you oblivious idiot!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tiggum posted:

It is, if you're heating it to that temperature. I hate walking into a room with a heater on that brings the temperature over 20. If it's over that already, you don't need a heater. If it's hotter than that and you're cooling it then yeah, 23 is probably fine, although I generally dislike it when a heater or air conditioner makes the inside temperature more than 5 degrees different to the outside temperature. It just makes the transition way too unpleasant and means you have to change your clothes.

I basically agree with you, but I do acknowledge that others have more sensitive senses of smell than I do. To me, an unpleasant smell is really never an issue worth mentioning, but I know that other people do react more strongly to smells than I do.

I'm going to take a guess that you don't live somewhere where it gets terribly hot. Lemme tell you: if it's 32 degrees out, plus humidity pushing the heat index up to closer to 35 or 37, I sure as gently caress am not keeping the air conditioner set to 30. That poo poo goes down 20 or so. But then, heat is my pet peeve. I can't loving stand it. Give me cold any day of the weak, but god help me if the temperature climbs above 27 (80F is my cut-off), then I am just miserable. Heat makes me physically ill. I feel cranky and fatigued and nauseous. It sucks.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
People who take their noisy toddlers to either nicer restaurants or to places that are basically bars that also serve food.

I get that you all want a night out, but I'd like to enjoy mine.

Also the fact that I feel a little bit bad about having that opinion.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Initio posted:

People who take their noisy toddlers to either nicer restaurants or to places that are basically bars that also serve food.

I get that you all want a night out, but I'd like to enjoy mine.

Also the fact that I feel a little bit bad about having that opinion.

Don't feel bad. Children are noisy, messy shits and should be eradicated.

It's 3:00 AM and I'm hungover as gently caress, trying to enjoy some pancakes WHY DO YOU HAVE A TODDLER AT A DENNY'S AT THREE IN THE MORNING

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
When people get pissed at you for using a word they don't understand as if you did it on purpose. I'm sorry dude, I didn't realize you'd get butt-hurt by me using the word "laconic."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm going to take a guess that you don't live somewhere where it gets terribly hot. Lemme tell you: if it's 32 degrees out, plus humidity pushing the heat index up to closer to 35 or 37, I sure as gently caress am not keeping the air conditioner set to 30. That poo poo goes down 20 or so. But then, heat is my pet peeve. I can't loving stand it. Give me cold any day of the weak, but god help me if the temperature climbs above 27 (80F is my cut-off), then I am just miserable. Heat makes me physically ill. I feel cranky and fatigued and nauseous. It sucks.

I live in Melbourne, so yeah, it gets over 40. I actually won't object if it's that hot and people want to bring the temperature down by more than 5 degrees, but for myself, 5 is enough that it feels much better without making the transition to the outside temperature too extreme. It mostly annoys me in public places like shops where you go from 40 degrees to 20 and you're suddenly shivering in the middle of summer, or you go from 10 degrees to 25 and you're sweating in winter. And then you step back outside and the situation reverses.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Heat is also my pet peeve. It's the worst. I'd rather feel cold, damp, and clammy than dehydrated, woozy, and worn-out.

But I thought of a couple more. I hate when people stare when you're doing something uninteresting or mundane. Like working out. I'm at the gym lifting a weight or doing a pushup or using a machine, and people stare. I'm not doing these things sexily, I'm in workout clothes and no makeup, just being a regular person working out, but people stare as if I'm doing a circus act. Today I was sitting alone in a conference room waiting for my boss and another person to arrive, and everyone who walked by had to peer in as if I were doing something interesting rather than checking emails and killing time.

Another one: when people use the word "treat" as a reward. "Oh, i just have these every so often as a treat." "This is my monthly treat to myself." For some irrational reason, it irks me. A treat is something a dog gets when he's been a good boy, not an excuse for an adult to eat an ice cream. I have no problem with phrasing like "treat myself to..." or "it's on me, my treat." It's when it's used as some sort of reward for the person, it reminds me of dogs doing tricks and it bugs me. I really don't know why.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tiggum posted:

I live in Melbourne, so yeah, it gets over 40. I actually won't object if it's that hot and people want to bring the temperature down by more than 5 degrees, but for myself, 5 is enough that it feels much better without making the transition to the outside temperature too extreme. It mostly annoys me in public places like shops where you go from 40 degrees to 20 and you're suddenly shivering in the middle of summer, or you go from 10 degrees to 25 and you're sweating in winter. And then you step back outside and the situation reverses.

I guess I'm used to shedding layers. It gets waaaaay colder than 10 degrees up here.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My mom finally decided to start paying bills online. So she had me set a few things up, but the Cox account was a disaster. I didn't have our log-in or passwords, but the system said we had signed up. I couldn't find anything in her little pad of passwords and finally got the login. But then in order to reset your password, you need to answer a SECRET QUESTION. And your SECRET ANSWER can't be sent to you. Nor can the tech guys at Cox tell you it. I had to play 20 loving questions with a tech who finally gave me enough hints to put together the secret loving answer and reset the password. The answer, btw, he said had been set a decade ago. And in those 10 years she has never ever used the online bill pay.

You have our credit card info! I gave you all the other info! TELL ME THE loving SECRET ANSWER ALREADY.

Peeve: when people honestly and truly believe that people who protest for better wages or treatment are just being lazy, that everyone can succeed if they just aren't lazy, and if you succeed, you are better than them, hands down. If you shop at Macys, you are better than the people who shop at KMart. A coworker of mine is a well-off white man and he constantly bitches about how fast food jobs are just for teenagers and if anyone wants $15 an hour they need to do better than fastfood. He shits on everyone and calls them communists if people want some form of a social safety net, and mocks the idea of any form of charity because "you get what you want and then you want more, and that doesn't make you a bad person! We punish the best people in the world because they are rich!" The best part is he urges everyone to donate to the Humane Society because animals, unlike humans, aren't lazy and they don't deserve to be put down because humans are stupid. He actively encourages people to adopt animals and to donate time and money and rescue dogs, but if you mention you donate to a foster kid instead, the putdowns and insults are something from Full Metal Jacket. He's Just World and FUGM in the flesh.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I hate the words "forage" and "cohort" and I have no idea why. They just annoy the living poo poo out of me.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Cohort is a pretty ugly word, I guess. It sounds like a fart and it's pretty much only used by academics trying to think of a pretentious way to describe their peers.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

"utilize". SAY USE YOU loving WINDBAG

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
When goons overreact to one or two or five odd things you do and then claim this makes you a broken person or they describe some other person who would also have those same traits and the overal picture painted is pretty abysmal. It's like, oh you do one weird thing do you? Well I bet you're weird in a bunch of other ways too! Ha!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Watching Netflix in the shower is weird as poo poo you broken weirdo.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Ryoshi posted:

Watching Netflix in the shower is weird as poo poo you broken weirdo.

I agree

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

My dad puts grated parmesan cheese on anything he can. I made macaroni and cheese for the family, and got it just perfect, and since in his brain, "pasta=time for my salty cheese favorite!" He smothered it in parmesan and of course complained about how thick it was. He does this with stuff like pasta salad, too.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

People who go to A&E for minor illnesses.

People who go to A&E for minor illnesses and then complain that they have to wait 5 hours because their symptoms are minor and A&E is already full of people who shouldn't be there.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

cash crab posted:

"utilize". SAY USE YOU loving WINDBAG

Middle managers whose only job responsibility is justifying their own existences loving love that word and it drives me up a goddamn wall.

"I think we could utilize a more robust metric for this process."

gently caress you, dude. You're just trying to sound important. Just say "We could really use a new metric" and get back to facebooking all day, you overpaid piece of poo poo

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Cheshire Puss posted:

Cigars though? gently caress you. That poo poo reeks and if you're doing that poo poo in public you should know that you may as well be gargling raw sewage. I can smell those things from a hundred yards away outside on a clear day and feel physically ill from even the briefest exposure. Gods its foul.

This may just be one lovely brand or something, I don't know.

I completely agree with you. I do enjoy a cigar once every 3 months or so with a friend of mine that has a very impressive collection of high-quality cigars. They take usually about an hour to smoke. As per the rules of his house, this must be done as far as possible from the house and one needs to consider the prevailing winds.

If you're not the one smoking them, they smell terrible and I'm all for banning cigars from everywhere but your own property. In MN, that is standard. Cigars are usually banned even on patios.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The worst is the middle aged assholes who strut proudly through a crowded city puffing away on a noxious-smelling cheapass cigar.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The worst is the middle aged assholes who strut proudly through a crowded city puffing away on a noxious-smelling cheapass cigar.

do they think they're living in the 1920s or something?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
This is probably half unpopular opinion half pet peeve, but while we're on the topic of smoking: people who want to smoke weed in your place where it's not legalized and where you can face heavy fines by the landlord if you're caught smoking anything inside. I don't care if you smoke it, I do it sometimes too, just find somewhere else to do it. People always claim they have ways of making it not smell up the apartment, but to a non-regular weed smoker you can very clearly smell it for days. Also: friends who ask/pay you to drive them to go buy weed and "hide" it in your glovebox or whatever with the not-so-subtle implication they will pin it on you if we get pulled over and searched. I'm glad I'm not in college in anymore.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Your friends suck, Murphy. Good to know weed smokers can be as big assholes as cigarette smokers.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah what the gently caress, it should end at "please don't smoke in my place" no matter what it is they want to smoke. Assholes.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Plan Z posted:

My dad puts grated parmesan cheese on anything he can. I made macaroni and cheese for the family, and got it just perfect, and since in his brain, "pasta=time for my salty cheese favorite!" He smothered it in parmesan and of course complained about how thick it was. He does this with stuff like pasta salad, too.

Doesn't your dad do something else really hosed up with his food, or am I still still thinking of another weird example you told where he needed to put parm on something? I swear to god we had a "shaky cheese" conversation a while back.

I smoke, but I never do it inside, and I'd rather people not smoke pot and cigarettes in my house. We live in a city with three dispensaries every block, you can smoke outside. I can't stand the smell of pot at the best of times, but if we're having a party and it starts getting everywhere it starts to give me a headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Murphy Brownback posted:

people who want to smoke weed in your place where it's not legalized and where you can face heavy fines by the landlord if you're caught smoking anything inside

I have no problem with people smoking anything in my apartment, but your story reminds me of the time I had a housewarming party -- thereby implying that I was new to the building -- where some of my guests were complaining that I wouldn't let them go up on the roof (which has a "no people allowed" sign) or on the fire escape. How dare I not let them do illegal things and break explicit rules during my first month at a new place.