Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

MoraleHazard posted:

It's nice being able to see what games people are playing, text chat, or talk.

That way if someone hasn't been ingame for two months you know what other games have been taking up all their time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Looks like this hasn't been posted in thread yet - PC Gamer article wherein Braben talks about some of the flaws with the game right now; missions, powerplay, lack of planet surface content etc.: http://www.pcgamer.com/david-braben-on-arena-and-the-future-of-elite-dangerous/

Quick summary by this random dude on youtube if you can't be arsed to read words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fH7pjI8h8M

Encouraging to see he's aware of some of the problems.. I do have a little hope that Engineers might be an improvement.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Section Z posted:

Has anyone found practical reasons to use the Federal Gunship as, well, your primary ship? Or even any particular niche uses for it other ships can't handle cheaper, better, or both?

Which also reminded me "Oh hey didn't the Federal Dropship used to cost as much as the Gunship?" Which seems pretty high for only two small lasers more than a Dropship and the least internal slots of any "Federal" ship.

The Gunship has better hardpoint locations for the side-mounted class 2 hardpoints and has a different flight model, but it's even slower and is still a brick. I really like the Gunship and want it to be a worthwhile upgrade over the Dropship but right now it's just a Dropship+ that can't do multirole.

e: the Gunship has bigger sensors and a larger power distributor too

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Too bad that bigger sensors is a drawback since they add lots of weight and power consumption for very small increase in range.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So I've been putzing around casually with a Viper Mk IV for a few days and I kinda wanna get some credits to upgrade into a bigger/better combat ship, Vulture. I've somehow managed to get up to Peddler Trade Ranking just through courier missions, but I'm not sure if I need anything else to do the whole Robigo thing I've seen on here earlier. What all do you do there? Just go out there and accept courier missions or something?

edit: Welp, just checked and Robigo is something like 396 light years away. So I kinda should probably know what I'm getting into before I take the trek

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 14, 2016

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

BenRGamer posted:

So I've been putzing around casually with a Viper Mk IV for a few days and I kinda wanna get some credits to upgrade into a bigger/better combat ship, Vulture. I've somehow managed to get up to Peddler Trade Ranking just through courier missions, but I'm not sure if I need anything else to do the whole Robigo thing I've seen on here earlier. What all do you do there? Just go out there and accept courier missions or something?

edit: Welp, just checked and Robigo is something like 396 light years away. So I kinda should probably know what I'm getting into before I take the trek

Best bet is to head to a high sec RES and tailgate some cops for bounties, it's at least fun.

You could do the tentacle farming thing but that's pretty boring IMO, and it's just as far as Robigo.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I'm about 8 million away from trading in my A rated asp explorer and buying a python. Seems as though the Python is the better ship for just about everything. Python can jump to or from Robigo fully loaded in one tank of fuel if you set things up properly, plus destroy anyone who tries to interdict you along the way. Not having to scoop at every 5th sun makes the trip so much faster. Plus double the cargo of an asp fully decked out is a no brainer. Looks like you need an extra 90 million give or take on top of the cost of a python to get it up to spec though.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Also it appears that the next Beta is out the week of May 8th.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/theengineersbetadate

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Hamelekim posted:

Also it appears that the next Beta is out the week of May 8th.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/theengineersbetadate

I was just about to post that.

Also, uh..

Healing lasers? :stare:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Section Z posted:

Has anyone found practical reasons to use the Federal Gunship as, well, your primary ship? Or even any particular niche uses for it other ships can't handle cheaper, better, or both?

Which also reminded me "Oh hey didn't the Federal Dropship used to cost as much as the Gunship?" Which seems pretty high for only two small lasers more than a Dropship and the least internal slots of any "Federal" ship.
I really like the gunship because the large number of hardpoints for weapons lets you do some silly gimmick builds. Flew around in a 4x Plasma Accelerator gunship for a while and it was fun. Also was great to fill every slot with a Multicannon with a large burst laser for stripping shields (well, great for the whole 10 minutes that you have ammo at least :v:).

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop

Drake_263 posted:

Also, uh..

Exactly what we need. Even more unkillable ships.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

now all they need is a hangar bay for larger ships to repair smaller ones that dock with them

then you could have condas with wings of little healing sidey's buzzing around them in combat

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If I could have a giant cargo ship that can spray out little drones like a seahorse when someone attacks me, that would be awesome.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Drake_263 posted:

Also, uh..

Oh good, now I can be a space priest in this game too :v:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
At least engineer upgrades aren't just "+2% damage" it looks like.

Gives incentive to play in a wing. Or perhaps if you hit a friendly with the BEAM LAZER they won't immediately go "DIE MOSNTER!" and all friendlies in the area turn red to kill you.

Typos are intentional.

The Engineers update will probably get me to play the game a bit more instead of sporadically as I have been doing the past few weeks.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Does anyone know of a reason (or known issue) why the route planner would refuse to actually use the current jump range when calculating a fastest route?

I'm sitting here with the star map telling me that my current effective range is 34.02 Ly. If I ask it to plot a route to a system 33 Ly away, it seems to go “nope! Maximum jump range is <30 Ly, so here are two 20 Ly jumps that almost create a right triangle on its circuitous way to what should be a single-jump target.” I can jump there and back again manually until my J key fails from overuse, but the plotting algorithm simply cannot grasp that it can get there without putting a bunch of half-way systems in the way.

It doesn't seem to be that it's stuck with the “economical route” setting — I can toggle both on and off and get different routes (and the economical route seems to max out at 8Ly, which is nonsensically low). So what the hell is going on?!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm weirdly excited for the handcrafted (?) placement of the engineers and their bases. I think the game really needs some areas with more personality and background than what the RNG spits out.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Does anyone know of a reason (or known issue) why the route planner would refuse to actually use the current jump range when calculating a fastest route?

I'm sitting here with the star map telling me that my current effective range is 34.02 Ly. If I ask it to plot a route to a system 33 Ly away, it seems to go “nope! Maximum jump range is <30 Ly, so here are two 20 Ly jumps that almost create a right triangle on its circuitous way to what should be a single-jump target.” I can jump there and back again manually until my J key fails from overuse, but the plotting algorithm simply cannot grasp that it can get there without putting a bunch of half-way systems in the way.

It doesn't seem to be that it's stuck with the “economical route” setting — I can toggle both on and off and get different routes (and the economical route seems to max out at 8Ly, which is nonsensically low). So what the hell is going on?!

Did you maybe use the manual-slider for telling the map a set jump range at some point and forget to set it back to maximum range?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Libluini posted:

Did you maybe use the manual-slider for telling the map a set jump range at some point and forget to set it back to maximum range?

No, but I did see it behave oddly.

I don't have any cargo holds, but it still showed the little blue “current load” bar about Ľ the way up while also saying that I had 0.0 tonnes of cargo and not allowing me to adjust the model since, after all, I didn't have any cargo space that could be filled or emptied. I managed to get rid of that by temporarily fitting some cargo holds, at which point it displays the way it should…

…but now that you mention it, maybe it's that error that has somehow stuck around in the background — it's a display error of a calculation error where I've only manage to reset the display error. So it thinks my 0.0-ton hold is quarter-full and reducing the current jump range by “the appropriate” 15% — but only for route step calculation, and not for the calculation of the numerical range display — to accommodate that extra non-weight. :v:

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 14, 2016

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Tippis posted:

No, but I did see it behave oddly.

I don't have any cargo holds, but it still showed the little blue “current load” bar about Ľ the way up while also saying that I had 0.0 tonnes of cargo and not allowing me to adjust the model since, after all, I didn't have any cargo space that could be filled or emptied. I managed to get rid of that by temporarily fitting some cargo holds, at which point it displays the way it should…

…but now that you mention it, maybe it's that error that has somehow stuck around in the background — it's a display error of a calculation error where I've only manage to reset the display error. So it thinks my 0.0-ton hold is quarter-full and reducing the current jump range by “the appropriate” 15% — but only for route step calculation, and not for the calculation of the numerical range display — to accommodate that extra non-weight. :v:
Your fuel has weight, too. If you're looking at the jump planner with a full tank of fuel and no cargo, the blue indicator is accounting for your fuel while the range is your maximum range your FSD can handle based on ship mass without fuel.

So while your ship can do 34LY it can probably only do so while you have less than 10% of a tank of fuel left.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mercurius posted:

Your fuel has weight, too. If you're looking at the jump planner with a full tank of fuel and no cargo, the blue indicator is accounting for your fuel while the range is your maximum range your FSD can handle based on ship mass without fuel.

So while your ship can do 34LY it can probably only do so while you have less than 10% of a tank of fuel left.

That could be it. Tippis, in the right-hand menu under functions, the game lists your current jump-range. If your tank is full, what is displayed there?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mercurius posted:

Libluini posted:

That could be it. Tippis, in the right-hand menu under functions, the game lists your current jump-range. If your tank is full, what is displayed there?

That would make sense, except that I can jump those 34 Ly. I've done it multiple times just to check that the displayed jump range value is accurate and not just some mislabelled max range (my empty jump range is something like 37 Ly). Both the functions menu and the map screen correctly reflect the range I can jump at my current fuel level — be it full or empty — but the jump planner ignores that range. I suppose it may be the case that it always assumes I'm full, even when I'm not and that the blue line represents my quarter-tank (as opposed to quarter-cargo) state.

That would certainly clear up the confusion about the jump planner slider, but not about why the planner itself can't take into account my actual jump range. Maybe its because of the dual functionality of the blue bar: that it calculates cargo when I have room for cargo, but defaults to fuel when I don't, and that the planner assumes that it always means fuel + cargo (of the same mass), even when it's only fuel…

Testing time!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Fishreds99 posted:

:qqsay:

"This game needs more stuff and variety. No not that stuff and variety!"

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:qqsay:

"This game needs more stuff and variety. No not that stuff and variety!"

More garbage for farming res sites is not my idea of "content" or "stuff and variety."

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

RES farming? nah that's not why you're mad about that :allears:

Nice try tho!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Tippis posted:

That would make sense, except that I can jump those 34 Ly. I've done it multiple times just to check that the displayed jump range value is accurate and not just some mislabelled max range (my empty jump range is something like 37 Ly). Both the functions menu and the map screen correctly reflect the range I can jump at my current fuel level — be it full or empty — but the jump planner ignores that range. I suppose it may be the case that it always assumes I'm full, even when I'm not and that the blue line represents my quarter-tank (as opposed to quarter-cargo) state.

That would certainly clear up the confusion about the jump planner slider, but not about why the planner itself can't take into account my actual jump range. Maybe its because of the dual functionality of the blue bar: that it calculates cargo when I have room for cargo, but defaults to fuel when I don't, and that the planner assumes that it always means fuel + cargo (of the same mass), even when it's only fuel…

Testing time!
When you're seeing this issue are you plotting multi-route jumps or single route? You might want to try replicating the configuration of your ship in something like coriolis.io and seeing if the numbers for 'Unladen' (no fuel or cargo) and 'Max fuel' correspond to what you're seeing in the jump planner.

It's entirely possible you are actually bugged but in my experience ever since they expanded the jump planner so it goes out to 1K LY it's been really reliable.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I've heard the jump planner always assumes a full tank, which makes a certain amount of sense - routes are only recalculated when you open up the galaxy map, but the player can change the amount of fuel in their tank without visiting the galaxy map, so if it tried to plan around your current fuel level and estimated fuel usage it'd get messed up every time the player fuel scoops.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

I've heard the jump planner always assumes a full tank, which makes a certain amount of sense - routes are only recalculated when you open up the galaxy map, but the player can change the amount of fuel in their tank without visiting the galaxy map, so if it tried to plan around your current fuel level and estimated fuel usage it'd get messed up every time the player fuel scoops.

Yup. Makes sense, and fiddling around with different fittings in-game makes it clear: the problem I was having was with the split fuel tank I was playing around with after the last tank-vs-scoop conversation.

Regardless of actual fuel and mass status, the planner assumes full tank. If you fit a larger tank in such a way that it creates drastic changes between low and full fuel state, the displayed jump range will happily give you very optimistic (and entirely true) values, but they do not reflect what the jump planner uses to figure out which stars are in range from each other. Silly mistake when you think about it.

Sorted, noted, time for a slight reconfiguration. :haw:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh man, healing lasers. How long before we see spider tanks :v:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Truga posted:

Oh man, healing lasers. How long before we see spider tanks :v:

It's :frontear: so I'm expecting an amazingly bad return on cap usage for actual healing done with these things.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Tippis posted:

Yup. Makes sense, and fiddling around with different fittings in-game makes it clear: the problem I was having was with the split fuel tank I was playing around with after the last tank-vs-scoop conversation.

Regardless of actual fuel and mass status, the planner assumes full tank. If you fit a larger tank in such a way that it creates drastic changes between low and full fuel state, the displayed jump range will happily give you very optimistic (and entirely true) values, but they do not reflect what the jump planner uses to figure out which stars are in range from each other. Silly mistake when you think about it.

Sorted, noted, time for a slight reconfiguration. :haw:
It's actually a good thing to understand because you can abuse this to great effect on an exploraconda if you ever succumb to space madness. If you overload the fuel tanks (I think mine's around 250t of fuel, ATT uses 304t) you can deliberately run yourself down to 5-10% of the tank and squeeze out some extra jump range than you'd expect based on your mass due to the way game calculates your max jump distance. It's handy for getting up over 38Ly range which you need for some of the jumps between systems in the more sparsely populated regions.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Did a Robigo run tonight and made the last 20 million I needed or a Python. Most of the stuff on it is E or C except for an A5 power planet (can be 7) , A5 frame shift drive (max drive) but the thing is a beast. Some system cop in a Python didn't like me and started a fight. Two large cannon's and two medium burst lasers took him out in short order. I am really liking this thing so far. Shield boosters are nice as well, didn't realize how they even worked before but apparently you can save millions of dollars on shields if you use them.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Drake_263 posted:

Also, uh..

Oh I'm boutta be a space paladin.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Shine posted:

:same:

Real talk I'm glad that it's actual things aside from +5% damage. Cautiously Optimistic About 2.1

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Shine posted:

I figure packing about three class 3 of these on a conda will make for some nice support. Unless it's hilariously inefficient, which it very well might be.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Fishreds99 posted:

So, p. much this with spaceships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qWrH_x8SUI

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Maybe sometime in the future we will be able to hire NPC ships with healing lasers to shoot at us.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Astroniomix posted:

It's :frontear: so I'm expecting an amazingly bad return on cap usage for actual healing done with these things.

Well in eve it's the same unless you train for logistics ships. I doubt we'll get "tech 2" style of ships here.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Truga posted:

Well in eve it's the same unless you train for logistics ships. I doubt we'll get "tech 2" style of ships here.

Actually EVE's weakness is the range of the reps not the energy/heal ratio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Uh, spider tank battleships pretty much require cap boosters I thought, which pretty much removes any staying power unless you have some hauler resupplying them.

I mean, I stopped playing like 5 years ago, maybe things changed, but that's how it was. :shrug:

• Locked thread