Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I would say there should be some sort of BDS campaign against Nauru, but there's really nothing to boycott or divest from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
make pre-1815 gun types widely legal; ban the others

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
You people knock guns now but you'll be thankful for them when the horse riding steppe nomads come rampaging in

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
when the founders wrote about a right to bear arms they meant Brown Besses

go nuts with those we'll take everything else tia

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

make pre-1815 gun types widely legal; ban the others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_gx0rsSKq0

Be careful what you wish for.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

SynthOrange posted:

rip docklands

SIIIIICK. I'm sitting on prime real estate here.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

You people knock guns now but you'll be thankful for them when the horse riding steppe nomads come rampaging in

You jest but I bet there are people literally afraid of the mongols coming to get them.

Or of them investing in our property market.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Logan battler with broken back and cancer outraged at Centrelink’s callous call for him to find a job

CENTRELINK expects a Logan man who broke his back four years ago and has liver cancer to get a job.

Alex Rossi, 51, of Mount Warren Park, is receiving New Start allowance, but said he would be better off on a disability pension.

Centrelink, however, does not agree and has rejected his application six times over the past three years after assessments by a psychologist.

Mr Rossi said he had shown documentation to Centrelink staff proving he had a payout from SunSuper for a total and permanent “disablement”.

He said his doctor had also signed a Centrelink form saying he did not have “the capacity” to work.

“I suffer from liver cancer, a deformed back and foot,” Mr Rossi said.

I am always in an incredible amount of pain for which I consume 800 mg of morphine-based pain killers daily.”

Mr Rossi said he used to work as a coded pressure welder travelling Australia earning up to $100,000 a year.

He now receives $270 a week from New Start of which $250 a week goes on rent for lodgings in a share house with six other people.

“I’m physically incapable of even coming close to performing the necessary manual tasks, not only just because of the physical aspects, but also because of the amount of pain killers that I need to take,” Mr Rossi said.

“The private assessing doctor for SunSuper stated he thought I would never be capable of working again.”

Department of Human Services general manager Hank Jongen said the department had contacted Mr Rossi to discuss his concerns and ensure he was receiving the correct payment and support for his circumstances.

He said the department assessed Disability Support Pension (DSP) claims in accordance with the clear criteria set down in legislation and did not have discretion to grant DSP claims outside this criteria.

“Under the legislation, the medical condition/s must be considered permanent and fully diagnosed, treated and stabilised,” Mr Jongen said.

Mr Rossi said he could not believe what he was going through and would like Centrelink to have him assessed by a doctor.

He said Centrelink’s latest move was to place him with an employment agency, A.P. M, but they have rejected Centrelink’s decision and helped him lodge another application for the Disability Pension.

Ah, The Courier Mail. Reporting on the sham that is Centrelink.

AND NOW FOR THE COMMENTS SECTION!

"For the first time, we are now starting to see DSP recipients decrease - there is an awful lot of abuse of "entitlements". Time to crack down on welfare fraudsters. All DSP recipients should be assessed at least annually, and most are capable of some job (which helps give them purpose, meaning and a sense of being needed, that actually helps many things like mental health improvements), even if it isn't the persons dream job."

"So what's going on with this country? If you're muslim it's OK to be on DSP and travel overseas beheading and butchering while in receipt of the disability support pension, to my knowledge those grubs were still receiving the pension until the lucky hand of fate obliterated them in a coalition airstrike. It's truly a bizarre world in which we live!"

"The 'refugees' on Manus Island are (ultimately) there by their own choice, not by our invitation. They are being housed, fed, given first class medical attention and a myriad of privileges that our homeless - many of them children - can only dream of. In return, they protest, riot, scream about their 'rights' then refuse to even attempt to assimilate when they are released into society. My car was stolen a few months ago. Guess why by? My mothers best friend and her family came here as refugees from Poland after WW2. They had NO rights. They were separated. They had to live in dormitories, go where they were told, work where they were sent and prove themselves before they were free to live in our society, and they were desperately, desperately grateful for it. If 'refugees' stopped expecting us to treat them better than we treat ourselves, and stopped demanding that we recreate for them here (at our own expense) a precise facsimile of the land and culture they were so desperate to escape, and if they instead conducted themselves with honesty, gratitude and respect, we might be happier to accept them. "

:suicide:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
hadn't seen this before

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
excuse me wtf are you doing

https://twitter.com/ETUVIC/status/720480799091531777

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh my word:

""Daily Tele Don't Click" posted:

Miranda Devine: Tony Abbott lovers call me the Wicked Witch of the Left

I AM a conservative pariah. I have been dis-invited to dinners and given the cold shoulder at conservative functions. Twitter followers once my most ardent fans abuse me as a “leftie”. I am accused of being either paid by or in “love” with Malcolm Turnbull.

Elder statesmen of the Delusional Conservative (Delcon) movement send me more-in-sorrow-than-in-anger missives accusing me of gross naïveté.

All because I have resisted the delusion that Tony Abbott was a conservative warrior cut down in his prime by leftie treachery, and that he will return to reclaim his throne once Malcolm Turnbull fails.

The Delcon movement is tiny but viciously punitive to those it regards as heretics. It was empowered last week by its first taste of blood; a Newspoll showed the Coalition falling behind Labor for the first time since Turnbull ousted Abbott as PM.

Of course, the collapse of Turnbull’s support is not among Coalition voters, but among Greens and Labor voters disappointed Turnbull has not turned out to be their progressive hero. The joke is on the Delcons, carrying water for the Left.

I was sorry Abbott was ousted and argued against it. But I was not surprised. After a 25-year association, my fondness for him softened criticism of his failings.

But since his demise I have been told by friends that he is going around town blaming me (and Janet Albrechtsen) for not being sufficiently supportive.

So here we go. In the tradition of “defending my legacy”, here are some of the reasons for conservative disillusionment with Abbott.

1. Safe schools

Labor might have legislated the homosexual propaganda program for students, but it was the Abbott government which funded and launched it, in June 2014. Early last year Nationals senator Barry O’Sullivan raised concerns in the party room about the so-called anti-bullying program, wanting funding to be axed. Abbott, as prime minister, spoke in favour of the program, saying that times had changed. By then, problems with Safe Schools were abundantly clear. I had even written a column and front page story about the NSW version in October 2012.

2. Same sex marriage

Under pressure from his advisers to get the issue “off the table”, Abbott was preparing to allow a conscience vote before furious conservatives revolted. With numbers in the party room running more than two to one against changing the definition of marriage, Abbott was forced to promise a plebiscite.

3. Taxes

The deficit levy, a centrepiece of the first budget, was a hike in the top marginal rate of income tax to 49 per cent, from the PM who had promised no new taxes.

4. Spending

Before taking office, Abbott promised to match Labor’s unfunded multi-billion dollar promises on the NDIS, Gonski and health spending. He also promised no cuts to the ABC, which continued its cultural jihad during the Abbott years, a time of extreme austerity in media companies paying their own way. Paid Parental Leave (later dumped), a medical research fund, infrastructure projects, and the NBN were big new spending programs which contradicted the narrative of a government elected to fix a busted budget.

5. Climate change

The $3 billion Direct Action was another green scheme pretending to lower the global temperature. Abbott also pledged $200 million to the international Green Climate Fund.

6. Family tax benefit part B

Cutting help for single income families was seen by conservatives as a betrayal of traditional families, ­especially when childcare subsidies for double-income families were increased.

7. 18C

Abbott abandoned changes to section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act because he didn’t want to get offside with Muslims.

8. Islam

Abbott described the Lindt café siege as a “brush” with terrorism which had nothing to do with Islam. “The ISIL death cult has nothing to do with any religion, any real religion.” He changed his tune later.

9. Prince Phillip

There was nothing conservative about enlivening Australia’s dormant republicans by giving the Queen’s husband a knighthood. It crystallised disquiet about Abbott’s judgment.

10. Losing his job

Echoing the dysfunction of the Rudd-Gillard years, Abbott refused to heed warnings to take reasonable measures to save his prime ministership.

11. Defence force cuts

In wartime, pay and benefits of armed forces were cut.

12. Changing the constitution

Abbott infuriated conservatives with support for referendums to recognise indigenous Australians and local government in the constitution.

13. Natasha Stott-Despoja

One of the first acts of an Abbott government was to appoint the avowed leftist and former Democrats leader to a bogus job as Australia’s Global Ambassador for Women and Girls. Former union leader Greg Combet also was awarded a cushy post.

14. Cory Bernardi

Abbott exiled the most prominent conservative Liberal. Bernardi was forced to resign as Abbott’s parliamentary secretary over statements opposing same sex marriage. When Bernardi published his Conservative Manifesto, in defence of traditional families and Christian values, Abbott said his “views do not represent the position of the government”.

Today, Bernardi finds Turnbull more inclusive.

“The PM has been very receptive, he’s been very respectful about some of the views I’ve put to him and some of my colleagues have,” Bernardi said two weeks ago.

“We’ve had some … significant wins. The Safe schools coalition for example, when I raised that in the party room, the PM was among the very first people to recognise there was an issue here.”

Abbott was no conservative prime minister. I don’t know whether that was because he wasn’t a genuine conservative or because it was too hard to combat anti-conservative forces once he took office. Either way, appeasing the left cost him the support of the party room. No one is under any illusion about Turnbull’s ideological leanings, but so far he is not making the same mistake.

No poo poo, it includes this image

loving :lol:

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Courier gently caress that up rather impressively. The packages were supposed to go to her partners office, which is next door to the ETU.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Half of Abbott's failings were him doing something objectively good.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Put them in the recycling bin- Helping out your local environment in more ways than one.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Oh my word:

How can a person like this exist? :sigh:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Miranda Devine so close to realising the that the rabid right of idiots is exactly what she's part of.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

If he in any way tampers with them it could be against the law. A better solution is to leave them untouched but put them in a part of the office that is restricted and say it will take ~3 months to retrieve them.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
And then charge storage fees

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hooman posted:

He's a pissy, weak coward who knows right and wrong but is so loving gutless he joined the oppressors rather than show courage in his convictions.

Once.

Just once in his entire career has Bolt actually stood up for what is right instead of being the bigoted bully he's paid to be. Just once.

And it took coming face to face with an unrepentant psychopath like Pell who aided in the rape or hundreds, maybe thousands of children, over a period of decades without the slightest bit of remorse. Then he recanted just a few hours later and returned to cheering on the perpetuators of the worldwide institutionalised rape of children.

People like Pell lack the capacity to understand how evil they are. Bolt understands perfectly, but it gives him fame, wealth and the meagre power a pundit can have.

Of the two, I think I hate Bolt more. He knows it's wrong but still does it.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Has this been posted yet?

http://themap.org.au/

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Halo14 posted:

I like that the first picture on rotation is a young mother father and two children

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Finally a party to truly protect the needs of our most vulner

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Halo14 posted:

Kill the elderly imo.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Kittens!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Oh my word:

There are no words

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Halo14 posted:

quote:

- Greater taxation equity by widening the tax “pool”, reducing individual and business taxation, and eliminating tax evasion.

- Slashing Government spending extravagance and waste, and the duplication of Government services (State and Federal).

- More equitable support for the elderly, for retirees, the unemployed, the disabled and the disadvantaged.

- Greater security (and guarantees) on the protection of pensions and other entitlements worked and paid for over generations by self-funded and pensioner retirees.

Tax the poor, slash government spending, and give us a bigger pension. Jesus Christ.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tokamak posted:

Tax the poor, slash government spending, and give us a bigger pension. Jesus Christ.

Boomers gonna boom.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Kill the elderly imo.

i have this thought any time i have to drive through melbourne's inner suburbs

edit: or any time i think about or see old people

Dude McAwesome fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 15, 2016

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Suck it up kiddies! :smug: :corsair: Looks like I ain't votin' Greens no more!

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Cartoon posted:

Suck it up kiddies! :smug: :corsair: Looks like I ain't votin' Greens no more!

Phew, finally we can get on with proper class warfare

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Ugh, I hate seeing good acronyms go to waste.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Reachtel 50-50
PPM 58-42 Turnbull
NXT PV 4%
Nationals PV 3.2%

Projected Hung Parliament.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Support for Banking Royal Commission 54% in favour

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Speaking of a Banking Royal Commission:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Coalition and Nationals leaking % to NXT. NXT projected to take 1-2 HoR seats causing a Hung Parliament.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The word is 'hanged'. Curtains are hung, people are hanged.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Politicians aren't people

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I will marry my true love, Miranda "the divine" Devine. Please quote this post if you want to wish my new spouse and I well on our journey in the future.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
My niece got irritated at me for interrupting BTN to make the big announcement, I trust this forum will be more sympathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Mature Aged Party will fail to get any votes because they have to cram so many parties on the ballot the font will be too small for its supporters to read.

• Locked thread