Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

I came in here fresh off the anime and didn't find the manga chat intimidating, for what it's worth.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's fileshare to share links to Parts 1, 2 and 3 in English because they have legally available translations. You can get them physically from say, Amazon, or digital from the app store or a viz app.

Parts 4 onwards aren't licensed so you can link those. Bato.to is the go to for JoJo part four onwards. You should find it by searching JoJo on there easily. You need to have an account to read on there now but all scanlators upload their work to there first and places rip it from there as well as any tweaks. Buy the manga though if you love JoJo. All JoJo stuff doing well means future english JoJo in all forms.

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe Seafood should throw some panels up on the OP to show people what they're missing, then?

dogsicle posted:

where's the SU crossover fanart?

I was planning to but the thread got locked, I haven't forgotten though. I'll post it this evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i'm sure the new blood will start rolling in once a few more episodes are out and the hype train starts building steam again.

(next episode[s] spoilers) The stuff with the arrow, and Bad Company, should provide a sufficient injection of WTF to entice people who wanna find out what's going on.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Condiv posted:

jojo is good and i like it

josuke higashikata is a cool guy and i cant wait to see him do cool stuff tomorrow

josuke higashikata is certainly a cool guy but next episode just might feature a good kid who I am looking forward to even more

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Schwarzwald posted:

josuke higashikata is certainly a cool guy but next episode just might feature a good kid who I am looking forward to even more

I am also looking forward to more Sweet Babby Koichi.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

it's all about
crazy diamond

he is the best stand and my husband

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
Syd Barrett is my favourite stand too.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Erg posted:

Maybe all the people that were going to get hooked on a Jojo anime did when part 3 was coming out

Like, 3 was a pretty big shift and 4 does some cool new stuff, but it isn't as huge as 1&2->3

Or maybe *pffft* people are afraid of being told to read a manga

I got into JJBA from the anime and have been watching it since Phantom Blood after only really knowing the series from pop culture and wanting to see what all the fuss was about. Ever since I've been hooked and in between the end of SDC and waiting for DiU anime to come out, I resolved to read the entire manga all the way from DiU to the current JJL. It was probably the best JoJo related decision I've ever made.

Can't wait to see the beginnings of one of the greatest bromances tomorrow :allears:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

it's all about
crazy diamond

he is the best stand and my husband

There is no such thing as a Crazy Diamond in this Part 4 Jojo Anime, mister.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dias posted:

There is no such thing as a Crazy Diamond in this Part 4 Jojo Anime, mister.

Try censoring that, crunchyroll hahahahaha

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The new episode of JoJo seems to be shipping Jotaro and Tomomo so it will finally be the first good episode since the first episode

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Baal posted:

The new episode of JoJo seems to be shipping Jotaro and Tomomo so it will finally be the first good episode since the first episode

Quit talking about the manga Baal.You're driving away the normies

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

JoJo/SU fanart. I didn't get any of the JoJo references when I first saw this, I only knew I had to learn more about this JoJo thing. A lot of it seems to reference later JoJos but it's all so bizarre :v: that I can't really call any of it spoilers cause I have no idea what the hell is going on.

Future Vision: Garnet and Jasper as Jotaro and Oingo

Pearlnareff corrupted by Anubis

Corrupted Pearlnareff 2

Stardust Crusaders

Rose Higashikata

Tiger Millionaire as Kiro, I think?

lots more here, some of it verging on NSFW due to skin shown.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

those are super pretty! some cool stealth nods to later parts even. thanks for sharing

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I don't want to "spoil" DiU for myself as it's airing...so I was thinking of reading part 5 in the off days between Fridays. Will I be horribly lost if I do this?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
There's a character from part 4 at the beginning so you'll be spoiling that they survive and the power up they get

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

E: ^^ what they said also applies to 6.

the only issue with part 5 is that the existing translation is bad. not like duwang bad, the sentences and typesetting are fine, it's just an inaccurate/unclear translation that sometime just makes poo poo up.

all this is what i've heard from manga readers. i haven't read it myself, there's an actual good translation in progress and I'm gonna read it all in one go.

if you wanna scratch the itch you could skip to part 6 as nothing from 4 or 5 really impact it in any meaningful way.

If absolutely don't wanna spoil the anime, part 7 is basically a series reboot so you could start there.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

jivjov posted:

I don't want to "spoil" DiU for myself as it's airing...so I was thinking of reading part 5 in the off days between Fridays. Will I be horribly lost if I do this?

Outside of a future stand from part 4 and a plot point that is introduced in 4 being expanded on, there isn't much that parts 4 and 5 have in common

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Depending on how far in you get beyond that, you may also get horribly lost due to weird Stand powers and a not-very-good translation (though that second part is being fixed at least).

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

jivjov posted:

I doubt it. The two stories are almost completely separate. You'd be reading two different stories set in the same universe. I'd hold off until the next arc is over, though.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
To be honest I've been intending to do the opposite and skip Part 5 and go straight to 6, and just watch the anime for 5 (assuming that's a thing that happens, which it probably will be). Other series sort of jumped up the list in priority so I haven't properly started 6 though.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Any idea why the translation quality takes a dive in 5 but leaves 4 and 6 unaffected? Did the good translators decide to skip 5?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The good translation of part 4 came after the bad translation of part 5.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Enourmo posted:

E: ^^ what they said also applies to 6.

the only issue with part 5 is that the existing translation is bad. not like duwang bad, the sentences and typesetting are fine, it's just an inaccurate/unclear translation that sometime just makes poo poo up.

all this is what i've heard from manga readers. i haven't read it myself, there's an actual good translation in progress and I'm gonna read it all in one go.

the old Part 5 translation is worse than Duwang Part 4. Duwang was a difficult to read translation that was still pretty accurate, while the Part 5 one went off-book all over the place (in addition to draining the JoJo of any personality/likability). but yeah there's a good chunk of Part 5 that's been re-translated and is good now.

if somebody's concerned about spoiling themselves on Part 4, i dunno if any Part other than 7 is necessarily a good choice. they all to some degree spoil whether characters from the previous Part live or die, and Part 5 will immediately spoil an event that happens in the next few eps of the anime. so just some stuff for jivjov to weigh when deciding what to do.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
All the parts have awful fan translations and don't really have the Jojo charm that you can see in the anime.

I still read them because Jojo its like pizza and even bad Jojo it's still good.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I like the part 4 translation

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
both of them

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The original translation of Pt5, I'm convinced is why Pt5 is the least popular part by a good margin.

But yeah, if you really don't want to be spoiled, skip to Pt7, which is both totally unrelated to previous parts but, as you can tell by my av/username, is also The Best Part.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I find it worth noting that in every country that has a decent translation part 5 is easily the second most fan favorite part (and in Japan it's the only part to get a videogame made specifically about it besides Stardust Crusaders,) it's only in English speaking countries that it has a bad rap. So, yeah, the translation is really bad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

(and in Japan it's the only part to get a videogame made specifically about it besides Stardust Crusaders,)

Wroooooooooooong.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Waffleman_ posted:

Wroooooooooooong.

Haha holy poo poo, I've never heard anyone talk about this

Rest of the post is p. much true tho

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

There's a reason for that.

The reason is that it's bad and was also made as a tie in to the bad movie.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Masahiro Sakurai seemed to like it at a trade show at least. :v:

http://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/11/mediabizarresakurai/

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Here's another horn remix that I forgot to post earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5ckDSLhxSA

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

if there's less people it's probably because:

a) some of them only cared to watch the first 3 parts, which is the main reason why the anime was made in the first place

b) they don't much care for the direction that later parts go in for some unfathomable reason

it's not because:

c) posters are occasionally jokingly around and saying that people should read the manga, which has been around since the anime has been a thing

I've read the whole thing and I'm still jumping off at part 5

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

mr. stefan posted:

It's loving garbage

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

mr. stefan posted:

I find it worth noting that in every country that has a decent translation part 5 is easily the second most fan favorite part (and in Japan it's the only part to get a videogame made specifically about it besides Stardust Crusaders,) it's only in English speaking countries that it has a bad rap. So, yeah, the translation is really bad.

Isn't Giorno one of the more popular JoJos in Japan and coming close to Jotaro or something? Considering everything else, it probably has more to do with the life not having been sucked out of him instead of just Japan having different tastes.

I've noticed that since the anime came out, Jotaro's been climbing a bit in popularity and we've been seeing more "Oh, he's just trying to be a Goony Edgelord Teen, that makes sense" from a lot of people, so here's hoping the Part 5 anime will showcase the dialogue better between the cast and how they interact and put it in...I know "context" isn't the right word, but the anime is doing a good job of conveying how the different parts are supposed to feel or the tone of them, like how silly and ridiculous it is to have these weird, bombastic Stand users running around a small Japanese town. Not that the manga didn't do that either, but the anime just makes it more obvious. I'm really excited to see how Part 5 would go too, considering all that.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

Masahiro Sakurai seemed to like it at a trade show at least. :v:

http://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/11/mediabizarresakurai/

Sakurai and Jojo? I never would have guessed.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

Sakurai and Jojo? I never would have guessed.

she's obviously practicing her "Sheeh!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Baal posted:

He should already be married. Not that that stopped Joseph, but...

Come to think of it, is Jotaro wearing a ring in the anime?

• Locked thread