Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

RBA Starblade posted:

What's up with the fog door at Firelink? That wasn't there before.

I have no idea why that pops up since you can just warp to the bonfire right outside and then run in. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thumbtacks posted:

Just wait for the dungeon. Oh boy.

I think that's the part I just entered that's really wrecking me. Just can't make any mistakes at all.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

The trick to determining if a chest is a mimic is the same as the method in DS1.
If the chain points back, no need to attack. If the chain points to you, light that bastard on fire what are you waiting for?.

Can you even break chests in this game though? I haven't seen a metal one so I'm wondering if there's any reason not to bash every chest you see.

RBA Starblade posted:

Its a loading screen. The game only loads Firelink when you warp there so it goes by quicker.

Zaphod42 posted:

I think that's the part I just entered that's really wrecking me. Just can't make any mistakes at all.

The enemies that lower your max health are just awful. I didn't realize what was doing it at first and was confused as hell.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Internet Kraken posted:

Can you even break chests in this game though? I haven't seen a metal one so I'm wondering if there's any reason not to bash every chest you see.

Nah these chests are basically like Dark Souls 1, so they can't break.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Its a loading screen. The game only loads Firelink when you warp there so it goes by quicker.

Oh, got it.

Well I have five dark sigils. That's neat.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Am I missing something with this cathedral covenant bonfire? I pulled the lever which let me walk across the cathedral on the thin grate and it leads to be able to open up the big double doors at the top but... why? Is there anything else or was that a dead end and I have to go back down from the previous bonfire?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Shindragon posted:

Nah these chests are basically like Dark Souls 1, so they can't break.

I like how these games have ruined me such that I think all advice is really a malicious setup

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Internet Kraken posted:

I've just been stabbing every chest all the time.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

codo27 posted:

I like how these games have ruined me such that I think all advice is really a malicious setup

I just looked up the wiki and it said they can break?

Whhhhhhhhat. Well then again I don't wack chests. I know what to look for when I see a mimic.

So yeah my bad, I don't mean to make anyone break chests if they did put that back in.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Daynab posted:

Am I missing something with this cathedral covenant bonfire? I pulled the lever which let me walk across the cathedral on the thin grate and it leads to be able to open up the big double doors at the top but... why? Is there anything else or was that a dead end and I have to go back down from the previous bonfire?

There's an elevator to the right of those doors that shortcuts you if from the second shortcut door from Cleaning Chapel. It's from Cleansing Chapel straight to the boss.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

It's the game loading the outside area. It's really weird. Just hang out and it'll clear soon.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
You can go ahead and hit them all; I just like the easy way.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Hollowing definitely affects your ability to co-op. 100%. I was pretty hollowed for a bit and could only summon one person, it removed all summoning signs after that. I used the statue in the undead settlement sewers and I can summon 2 people again.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Orv posted:

There's an elevator to the right of those doors that shortcuts you if from the second shortcut door from Cleaning Chapel. It's from Cleansing Chapel straight to the boss.

It says the lever wont budge, do I have to get to it from below?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Daynab posted:

For that one I"m thinking of? Yeah.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

queeb posted:

am i pretty

no, me am pretty

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

<<Be wary of Liar ahead.>>

Orv
May 4, 2011

Daynab posted:

Yeah you do, sorry.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Reading the item descriptions for Woljnir seems to suggest some interesting connections to DSII.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Sullivan phase 2 - You are loving kidding me.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Some interesting bugs with invasions this time around. I've been invading in Lothric Castle for like 2 hours now and I've invaded 3 people while they were fighting the boss. I was able to hit them when they backed into the fog gate. :v:

Phoix fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 15, 2016

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Reading the item descriptions for Woljnir seems to suggest some interesting connections to DSII.

yeah, made me think he's supposed to be the PC/insert from DS2. Since that's basically what the PC did assuming they did all the DLC.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Second try :smug:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nuggan posted:

Hollowing definitely affects your ability to co-op. 100%. I was pretty hollowed for a bit and could only summon one person, it removed all summoning signs after that. I used the statue in the undead settlement sewers and I can summon 2 people again.

Well, that's certainly a downside. Did using Velka's shrine cost you anything?

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

RBA Starblade posted:

Well, that's certainly a downside. Did using Velka's shrine cost you anything?

~5k souls

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Huh, apparently Wolnir summons skeletons during his fight? Of the three times I've fought him I've never seen them.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Nuggan posted:

Second try :smug:

Well I've only tried once so there's still a chance :v:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
When you redo your appearance at the finger lady can you rename yourself too?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Tabletops posted:

yeah, made me think he's supposed to be the PC/insert from DS2. Since that's basically what the PC did assuming they did all the DLC.

Exactly

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Tamayachi posted:

Huh, apparently Wolnir summons skeletons during his fight? Of the three times I've fought him I've never seen them.

Some bosses have surprise moves not always guaranteed to show up no matter what you do. After two weeks of playing I lost my poo poo seeing Curse-rotted Dingleberry Tree curl up and start rolling around the arena for the first time. Also caught it walking several steps in the following phase, not just standing then falling.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
PRO DS2 INVADER STRATS;

Stuck in a 3v1? Just run onto an elevator with the host right behind you. Hopefully he'll run into the hole when the elevator rises and die like an idiot! :haw:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Nuggan posted:

oh, I was wondering what was going on

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Nuggan posted:

are you sure? I can summon two people and am at 99 hollowing.

AFAIK you can only summon one person for some specific boss fights (like abyss watchers)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tamayachi posted:

Wtf? I've seen them every time I fought him.

Although there was one time we fought him he didn't bring out the sword.

Lots of bosses have moves that are rare or only come out at the end, the cathedral boss has lots of cool moves but you never see them because its so easy to kill him fast.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MrLonghair posted:

Some bosses have surprise moves not always guaranteed to show up no matter what you do.

Could also be something like Bloodborne going on, where there was some kind of AI bug with bosses

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The hollowslayer's really good, it's a shame it can't be buffed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

Wtf? I've seen them every time I fought him.

Although there was one time we fought him he didn't bring out the sword.

Lots of bosses have moves that are rare or only come out at the end, the cathedral boss has lots of cool moves but you never see them because its so easy to kill him fast.

More to the point, if you don't kill the cathedral boss fast you die from an unstoppable curse so you kind of have to bum rush him. Kind of ruins the whole thing when that is not just the optimal strategy, but the one you HAVE to do.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

3 days in, 1 blue sentinel summon, 80% failure to invade, most invasions that succeed are impossibly laggy. Co-op's not different in that, but at least you don't have to worry about npc t-models. It's a real bummer how much worse the connections and things are than Scholar, that was pretty much perfect for me. :shrug:

e: PvP's basically unplayable right now it's awful.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 15, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Man the AWs are so much easier with two people. Struggled on my own, but I've been sunbroing them and the last three fights we won without either person getting hit a single time. You can literally just stunlock him in a corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
holy poo poo I explored the entire cathedral and beat the boss without dying once.

god bless phantoms.

I have 60k souls what should i spend them on and is the tower key worth it