Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I genuinely wonder what the point of the Athkatla magic ban and the Cowled Wizards actually is. Or what purpose Spellhold served originally. Seriously, you'd think an organization that has their own torture prison on a remote island would be worth a quest. Do they have some complicated Forgotten realms backstory, like the Harpers or the Red Mages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Can you only have one Ankheg? Armour? I got one in a field gave it to my druid. However, I gave it to the smith in Beregos or whatever its called ,but it's been waaaaaaay past 10 days. Actually he just gave me 500 gold or something.

What armour should I get Minsc? I got him in Full Plate right now.

You didn't commission a suit, you sold the shell. You have to say you don't plan to sell it right now for him to offer the commission. It will cost 4000 GP, 6000 if you want it expedited.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Woolie Wool posted:

And then you kill about 30 Cowled Wizards and then show up right at their doorstep and hand them 5000 GP to stop bothering you, and no one even cares that you murdered a whole shitload of them while flouting the law.

Keep killing and they eventually stop

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

e X posted:

I genuinely wonder what the point of the Athkatla magic ban and the Cowled Wizards actually is. Or what purpose Spellhold served originally. Seriously, you'd think an organization that has their own torture prison on a remote island would be worth a quest. Do they have some complicated Forgotten realms backstory, like the Harpers or the Red Mages?

In the tabletop setting, the Cowled Wizards are a sinister underground conspiracy that exists because Amn was ravaged by a variety of evil wizards over the centuries, wild and dead magic zones after the Time of Troubles, and in the present of BG2 is getting invaded by a couple of extraordinarily powerful ogre mages and their armies. Just about everyone in Amn has either lost someone to some shithead mage or magical disaster, or knows someone who has. The Cowled Wizards in the tabletop are a group of Amnish mages who said gently caress that poo poo, we'll keep it corralled and protect people from it. For their own good, of course, and totally not to increase our own power. Notably Spellhold is a complete fabrication of BG2, as is their reimagining as a government agency.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

e X posted:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Cowled_Wizards Looks like Bioware transformed them from a super-secret non-evil order of magic lovers into the Wizard Gestapo. I don't think they give a rationale in game, like Athkatla having serious wizard problems in the past. The populace tolerate them because they're terrified of rogue magicians, but then why isn't that an issue elsewhere? Who guards Baldur's Gate against magic threats?

gender illusionist posted:

Keep killing and they eventually stop

Good, that means they ran out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kavak posted:

The populace tolerate them because they're terrified of rogue magicians, but then why isn't that an issue elsewhere? Who guards Baldur's Gate against magic threats?

Amn in general is in the tabletop supposed to be intensely distrustful and afraid of magic due to a long history of evil mages wrecking poo poo in Amn, then the Time of Troubles and its wild magic and dead magic zones. At the present in Faerun's timeline, Amn is currently being invaded by an army lead by two powerful ogre magi.

Baldur's Gate does not have this history and the Flaming Fist employs its share of mages.

Baldur's Gate in general doesn't showcase some of the really interesting parts of Amn. It's Renaissance Spain, complete with a war against the Moors orcs in the south and the weird Basques halflings in the east who have been relatively peaceful after their kingdom was destroyed and conquered. Also missing, the conquest and exploitation of Central America Maztica across the sea to the west.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Pierre McGuire posted:

Since the SoD update I've been having problems with a few custom soundsets. The selection sounds aren't working for me, at least in BG1EE. BG2EE doesn't seem to have this problem. Soundsets that I've made where it has the format CUSTOM#a.wav, etc. work fine but any other format seems to not have working selection sounds. Anyone else have this problem?

yeah they're working on it, might be fixed in the new patch im currently downloading (assuming it is that) but way to fix is at the moment is to rename the custom soundsets as malea maleb whatever, and then they work.

downloading a 1.6gb patch for bgee so im assuming this is a fix patch right?

edit: so it is https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/52911/v2-1-update-release-notes-attached

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Amn in general is in the tabletop supposed to be intensely distrustful and afraid of magic due to a long history of evil mages wrecking poo poo in Amn, then the Time of Troubles and its wild magic and dead magic zones. At the present in Faerun's timeline, Amn is currently being invaded by an army lead by two powerful ogre magi.

Baldur's Gate does not have this history and the Flaming Fist employs its share of mages.

Baldur's Gate in general doesn't showcase some of the really interesting parts of Amn. It's Renaissance Spain, complete with a war against the Moors orcs in the south and the weird Basques halflings in the east who have been relatively peaceful after their kingdom was destroyed and conquered. Also missing, the conquest and exploitation of Central America Maztica across the sea to the west.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Bioware seems to have stripped any nuance out of them, though.

I would never have pegged Amn for Spain, minus the colonialism. I think they got confused with Calmishan's Arabian theme- Athkatla being Cordoba I can buy, though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Woolie Wool posted:

OK, BG2 with new patch:

SoD (I removed my custom fonts, this is the vanilla look):

Everything is cleaner and more understated in the SoD UI, and vastly more user-friendly.

How do I get the BG2 new patch look. I don't see a way to update my game?

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah they're working on it, might be fixed in the new patch im currently downloading (assuming it is that) but way to fix is at the moment is to rename the custom soundsets as malea maleb whatever, and then they work.

downloading a 1.6gb patch for bgee so im assuming this is a fix patch right?

edit: so it is https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/52911/v2-1-update-release-notes-attached

Thanks! It hasn't been fixed after this patch as far as I can tell.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The BG2EE UI was horrible, this patch came just in time as I leveled out of SoD. Looks good now.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I was always annoyed by the fact that Resurrection couldn't raise exploded characters either. BG tends to stick very faithfully to the ruleset, but it violated that one and not for the better, in my opinion. I think that it makes a lot of sense to have Raise Dead, a level 5 spell*, work to bring back characters that are just dead, while Resurrection, a level 7 spell, brings back characters who are essentially eradicated. I sometimes wonder if this was an engine issue or a deliberate design choice. If the latter, I disagree with it. I remember one vexing situation where I tried to do the fight where you get the Staff of the Magi when I was somewhat underleveled. On the fourth try or so I won, but my thief was blasted to bitlets and I had to reload. I ended up trying another dozen times at least before I finally won without losing anyone permanantly. Had she just died, no real problem frankly.

*Which admittedly works on Elves when it shouldn't according to tabletop rules, for which we are all certainly happy

On another note, I was wondering: What is the highest that you could get a Wisdom score in this game without "cheating"? There are no races with inherent Wisdom bonuses, so the only thing I could think of would be a base 18 Wisdom plus the three books of +1 Wis from BG1, resulting in a practical maximum of 21. There might be a chance to get more Wisdom in the trials, but it's been so long that I can't remember. Any other things that can boost that stat? The reason I ask is that I have always wanted to play the game with the protagonist as a single-class cleric kit of some sort (even though the cleric kits are not nearly as exciting as those in IWD2) because cleric is a surprisingly rare PC class, and I was thinking of how to max wisdom as you start to get some great high-level bonus spells as Wis gets into the 20s.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

How do I get the BG2 new patch look. I don't see a way to update my game?

If you have the Steam version it should update automatically.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

I was always annoyed by the fact that Resurrection couldn't raise exploded characters either. BG tends to stick very faithfully to the ruleset, but it violated that one and not for the better, in my opinion. I think that it makes a lot of sense to have Raise Dead, a level 5 spell*, work to bring back characters that are just dead, while Resurrection, a level 7 spell, brings back characters who are essentially eradicated. I sometimes wonder if this was an engine issue or a deliberate design choice. If the latter, I disagree with it. I remember one vexing situation where I tried to do the fight where you get the Staff of the Magi when I was somewhat underleveled. On the fourth try or so I won, but my thief was blasted to bitlets and I had to reload. I ended up trying another dozen times at least before I finally won without losing anyone permanantly. Had she just died, no real problem frankly.

*Which admittedly works on Elves when it shouldn't according to tabletop rules, for which we are all certainly happy

On another note, I was wondering: What is the highest that you could get a Wisdom score in this game without "cheating"? There are no races with inherent Wisdom bonuses, so the only thing I could think of would be a base 18 Wisdom plus the three books of +1 Wis from BG1, resulting in a practical maximum of 21. There might be a chance to get more Wisdom in the trials, but it's been so long that I can't remember. Any other things that can boost that stat? The reason I ask is that I have always wanted to play the game with the protagonist as a single-class cleric kit of some sort (even though the cleric kits are not nearly as exciting as those in IWD2) because cleric is a surprisingly rare PC class, and I was thinking of how to max wisdom as you start to get some great high-level bonus spells as Wis gets into the 20s.

My guess is 23. 18 + 3 from books + 1 from the trials + 1 from the machine of Lum the Mad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Woolie Wool posted:

If you have the Steam version it should update automatically.

Beamdog version.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think the Resurrection thing was an engine thing, at least initially. A gibbed actor no longer exists, so either the game has to remember that they're in your party even if they don't have a model or it just takes them out.

Also do gibs happen if you turn Gore off?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm playing bg1 and I just realized Lord Foreshadow talks about both Waterdeep and Neverwinter in the conversation you have with him.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

MonsterEnvy posted:

Beamdog version.

Make sure you're running the launcher and not just the application executable. When you open the program does an intermediate window with patch notes show up or does it go straight into the game menu? If the latter, you're not using the launcher.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Woolie Wool posted:

My guess is 23. 18 + 3 from books + 1 from the trials + 1 from the machine of Lum the Mad.

+1 from the deck of many if you're a cleric, druid, fighter/cleric or fighter/druid.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dillbag posted:

Make sure you're running the launcher and not just the application executable. When you open the program does an intermediate window with patch notes show up or does it go straight into the game menu? If the latter, you're not using the launcher.

Launcher I am reinstalling. However the Launcher does not even want to update to ver 2.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 15, 2016

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I was thinking about making an assassin to play through Bg2, but their class stuff seems a bit lackluster besides late. Then I was thinking why not just dual a kensai or warrior off the hop to access grandmaster in weapons. Would increase my thief's damage from back stabs at all? Not really sure how it impacts it. Was gonna just dual immediately at seven and play him like a thief with a few more weapon pips and higher mastery if it will help me backstab better.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Don't make places in the Realms into real-world analogues; it does whatever you're talking about a disservice. Most of the publishing history of the Realms has been a lot of work to get away from those stereotypes, originally pushed by TSR editorial for bad reasons. Amn isn't a fantasy Spain: it was portrayed as such in the colonialist narrative of the Maztica product line. Steven Schend has talked about how his work on Lands of Intrigue was updating and tying together current threads in Realmslore, and that it wasn't motivated by any rough idea of Basque or Moorish analogues.

A lot of what's interesting about Amn - the interplay of the Council of Six and so on - is directly downplayed by the view you're advocating. Don't do that.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Are there any evil/neutral aligned pure thieves in bg1?

If not will imoen or any of the other good natured ones abandon an evil low rep party?

I probably should just get one of the multiclass evil thieves but I'd rather have a regular one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Are there any evil/neutral aligned pure thieves in bg1?

Safana. Also Skie, but lol Skie.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

JustJeff88 posted:

Playing the Gold Box games again with GB Companion (which made even Pool of Radiance really fun and playable with some light cheating), I remembered how I was irritated the first time I played BG(2) and people just died when they reached 0 HP. In the old games characters would count down to -10 HP before croaking and could be bandaged by spending a turn. That poo poo makes low-level D&Ding much more playable.

I guess in BG it could have lead to awkward situations if Charname was unconscious during a cutscene, but I guess it's generally pretty random which specific game rules are implemented in an adaptation and which aren't. Is that even a P&P rule in 1E? Or one from a supplement?

...Of course even in BG I usually reloaded after even a normal death at first. Not just because of the awkward inventory management, but also because I was already traumatized by AD&D gameplay enough to expect permanent CON loss.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

My idea as a solution to that would be "wound tokens". Every time a character reached 0 HP that character would wake up at the end of the fight with 25% HP and a wound token. Being wounded would cause debuffs (-2 DEX, -2 CON perhaps?) and wound tokens would not be removable except at a temple or with a 5th or 6th level cleric spell (with fatigue effects similar to Greater Restoration). The difficulty level would have effects on how many wound tokens a character could sustain--3 on Easy, 2 on Normal and Core Rules, 1 on Hard, 0 on Insane or Legacy of Bhaal. As a consequence, Raise Dead scrolls and the like would be much more expensive and perhaps have other restrictions--if a character dies, you really hosed up and getting them back should not be trivial.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 15, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Anyone familiar with the gibberling mod know where the mod puts the ammo pack?

I got so many loving magic arrows.

Finally got the Ank armor but now don't know who I should give it to.

Minsc - +1 platemail

My character - shadow armour

Brenwin - +2 mail of the dead

Jaheira - ank armor

Immoen - nothing

Daheira - nothing

Minsc is a loving beast. Boots of Speed, Spider Bane, and potions of speed.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Jesus Christ man, learn to spell. :stare:

As for the armor, the ankheg armor would be an improvement over Branwen's Mail of the Dead. But I think you should think about who you want to give new armor before you spend 4000 GP.

You should get Elven Chainmail or, if you're rich, a Robe of the Good Archmagi for at least one of your mages. AC 5 is really, really nice if a monster gets past your front line.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Just chiming in to say that Baldur's Gate: EE and its ilk work wonderfully with the Steam Controller. There's nothing more relaxing than having a glass (or bottle) of wine and saving (or laying waste to) the Sword Coast after work from the comfort of one's own couch. :allears:

If you asked me before last firmware update, I'd say you'd have to be relatively close (like <3 feet) to the receiver and for my situation that's not entirely acceptable. But it seems Valve ironed out that issue.

NT Plus fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 15, 2016

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Hollismason posted:

Anyone familiar with the gibberling mod know where the mod puts the ammo pack?

I got so many loving magic arrows.

Finally got the Ank armor but now don't know who I should give it to.

Minsc - +1 platemail

My character - shadow armour

Brenwin - +2 mail of the dead

Jaheira - ank armor

Immoen - nothing

Daheira - nothing

Minsc is a loving beast. Boots of Speed, Spider Bane, and potions of speed.

If you're talking about the "Add Bags of Holding" part of the tweak pack then the Ammo belt will either be at the Thunderhammer Smithy in Beregost or at the general store in Nashkel.

As for the Ankheg armor, I think in your party it'd best go on Minsc, Branwen could also use it but Minsc wants the AC more on the frontlines.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

If you're going to have Branwen in melee rather than as a buffbot, she'll need that armor. She can die very fast if enemies get hits in.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Give it to her anyway in case something gets through.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Aw, the patch broke all the armor descriptions in my modded game, even after doing a clean install and using modmerge. I guess I will clean it again and this time not install bg1npc.

But I cannot play without the spell refresh mod, that and other tweajs should not break strings, right?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

Yeah, I noticed that when I replayed DA:O after finishing Pillars of Eternity. I got about 8 hours in and gave up because of the cutscenes, and the horrible, dead-eyed staring look of my Warden, even though I downloaded custom player face meshes from :nexus: and everything. He just stared into space like he had massive brain damage and I decided to play Baldur's Gate instead and here I am.

At least the :nexus: meshes made him look mostly human, which beats the male human faces from the vanilla game.

I can't really imagine the combat with Dragon Age's mechanics, either. They're too shallow and the "we can't fully commit to either isometric or Mario 64-style" camera and controls make party control much more difficult than in the Infinity engine.

I keep trying to get into DA:O but the camera and controls are so so bad.

But....

NT Plus posted:

Just chiming in to say that Baldur's Gate: EE and its ilk work wonderfully with the Steam Controller. There's nothing more relaxing than having a glass (or bottle) of wine and saving (or laying waste to) the Sword Coast after work from the comfort of one's own couch. :allears:

If you asked me before last firmware update, I'd say you'd have to be relatively close (like <3 feet) to the receiver and for my situation that's not entirely acceptable. But it seems Valve ironed out that issue.

This is great to hear and really pushes a fancy TV far up my "thongs to irresponsibility spend money on" list.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Kay, Im wrapping up my BG1Tutu game, with some shadowkeeper edits. How hard would it be to move it to Steam SoD?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I would be very surprised if the saves are compatible and the best idea would probably be to export the character file on tutu and import it into a new SOD game. But I could be wrong...

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Luisfe posted:

Aw, the patch broke all the armor descriptions in my modded game, even after doing a clean install and using modmerge. I guess I will clean it again and this time not install bg1npc.

But I cannot play without the spell refresh mod, that and other tweajs should not break strings, right?

I would strongly suggest making a copy of a modded install somewhere else and not patching it. Just don't do it, you'll break something.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

LowellDND posted:

Kay, Im wrapping up my BG1Tutu game, with some shadowkeeper edits. How hard would it be to move it to Steam SoD?

doable but annoying and you have to know what you're doing.

1. do not import your save game, bg1 characters will lose their soundsets.

2. make sure you start a new game and then import your character. you can import your character through the save game BUT it will bring over out of party npcs who will lose their soundsets so might have to go into near infinity and clean out the bg1 characters who are not in your party so it doesn't gently caress up, mostly viconia and edwin.

edit: actually, with tutu you might be able to get away with that because all the file names for everything are "_lahblah" when in bg/ee they are just "blahblah" (cept for the stuff that imports over into bg2) so sod will just ignore it unlike the way i did it with my bgt save which uses real file names.

also yeah, you're gonna lose all your equipment and containers and poo poo. this is the annoying part but you can get everything back if can be bothered. first, using shadowkeeper or near infinity or both, go through characters and find the file names of all the containers, remember them. then in near infinity for your tutu game, extract all the correct containers .itm somewhere. THEN in near infinity, open your save file you want to import into sod, go to the baldur.sav bit, uncompress it and extract all the .sto files which have the same name as the containers with all your poo poo in. put them together with your .itm files and then throw the whole lot into the bgee override folder. (they should have different filenames than the containers in bgee so it will okay, double check) then start a sod game, save the game then open that up in shadowkeeper and reedit your npcs, gold, rep all that poo poo back to how they were at the end of tutu (best way to open both save files and cross compare) and then add in the bags of holding with all your poo poo in.

edit2: oh poo poo wait, bgtutu... gonna be harder to do that with the files names i mentioned above so it might be pointless. best way i think would be to just cross check what items you have and add the bgee versions on your characters via shadowkeeper or something.

or gently caress all that, just import your character only with a new game, use shadowkeeper to kit him/her out the way they were with items and poo poo and just go from there because tutu's filenames are annoying.

i hope i made sense.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Dillbag posted:

I would be very surprised if the saves are compatible and the best idea would probably be to export the character file on tutu and import it into a new SOD game. But I could be wrong...

you can load up old bg2 games fine into bg2ee and reap in the achievements. original 1998 bg stuff wont work though, just crashes the game. tutu is fiddly like i mentioned above but bgt stuff is easier due to bg2 file names and bgee just using bg2 poo poo. it gets funny if you change the area codes from your bgt save to an area number that is in bgee (they are all different) i tried it the other day and imeon crashes when you open her backpack, the pc has vanished (might be me tho, think i missed an area code somewhere) but the rest of the team were good in their new location, items and all. (so long as the same mods were installed and poo poo) text strings for certain things like bios and container store names will be hosed.

but it's easy to import your bg2/bgt/tutu character and items over if you know what doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Vikar Jerome posted:

or gently caress all that, just import your character only with a new game, use shadowkeeper to kit him/her out the way they were with items and poo poo and just go from there because tutu's filenames are annoying.

i hope i made sense.

K, so Shadowkeeper will work with BGEE:SOD? :D Does SoD have a 'remove cap' mod? Ill be like level 12 or something when I import