Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I suppose the tax on nfld high income earners being so low is to keep rig pigs and rich people on file as in province. I suppose you could make a stretch of justification to say these people would have the easiest time packing up and leaving outright.

mik posted:

I live in PEI and it's about a thousand times better than living in Montreal or Toronto from a quality of life perspective. Six-figs helps. :smug: I live like a king.

A six figure income is basically the beginning of not living house poor in our major urban centres. I suppose the money goes farther where you live though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
If you are making 6 figures in the maritimes, you are the king. That's upper class there.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

jm20 posted:

I suppose the tax on nfld high income earners being so low is to keep rig pigs and rich people on file as in province. I suppose you could make a stretch of justification to say these people would have the easiest time packing up and leaving outright.

A six figure income is basically the beginning of not living house poor in our major urban centres. I suppose the money goes farther where you live though.

Too bad we didn't milk those rig pigs while we could. Now they have come home to enjoy their ei with their truck equity.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau did not name a single country whose human rights record would disqualify it from trade with Canada when pressed about the Saudi arms deal Thursday.

"Fundamentally, this issue is a matter of principle," Trudeau said. "The principle at play here is that Canada's word needs to mean something in the international community."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

THC posted:

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau did not name a single country whose human rights record would disqualify it from trade with Canada when pressed about the Saudi arms deal Thursday.

"Fundamentally, this issue is a matter of principle," Trudeau said. "The principle at play here is that Canada's word needs to mean something in the international community."

And that word is yes.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

THC posted:

I'm so glad that Canada will be known for keeping its word on closing military equipment deals instead of keeping its word on not supporting oppressive regimes.

Assuming we have ever actually promised any such thing :(

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Tochiazuma posted:

I'm so glad that Canada will be known for keeping its word on closing military equipment deals instead of keeping its word on not supporting oppressive regimes.

Assuming we have ever actually promised any such thing :(

Next deal will be arms deals with Bashar al-Assad, but we promise to takesy backsies if he uses them for anything other than fighting Isis

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

While I've seen his tweet before, his reply is new to me.

quote:

"That tweet," he replied, "is from a period when Jason Kenney and others were routinely posting vile (and often incorrect) photos and graphics about the Middle East conflict."

(Butts later clarified that by "Middle East conflict" he meant ISIS.)

"I was pointing out the hypocrisy of their justification of their government's Middle East campaign on the moral ground of human rights, while simultaneously pursuing deeper ties and expanded trade with a country that has a less than stellar record on that front."

He continued: "At that time, Trudeau had already stated our party's support for honouring a signed contract, so to suggest I had a different position then, as his principal adviser, is to misunderstand the context."

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Maybe the plan is to encourage repressive regime violence in Saudi Arabia, causing a backlash in Shiite areas which disrupts oil production, thus boosting oil prices and the Canadian economy! :tinfoil:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
11 dimensional chess.

I wonder if Harper is advising?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ikantski posted:

While I've seen his tweet before, his reply is new to me.

Politicians are so slimy.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Twiin posted:

Goddamn it you guys I haven't been to this thread in over 15,000 posts and you're still talking about PT6A

hi twiin

thanks for hassan.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

brucio posted:

If you are making 6 figures in the maritimes, you are the king. That's upper class there.

If I could make 6 figures in the Maritimes I'd move back home in a heartbeat.

https://twitter.com/fredsnelgrove/status/720745931168223234

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/community-activist-wants-surrey-s-mayor-to-choose-her-words-more-carefully-1.3535439

quote:

A community activist says it's time for Surrey's mayor to stop referring to young gangsters by ethnicity.

Meera Gill with Our Global Village says it's divisive to label the young men involved in the drug feud as south Asian.

"There are kids who have turned into so-called gangsters, so let's just call them gangsters," she says.

"Let's not call them Indian or Asian or whatever. Let's call them gangsters."

There have been more than 30 shootings so far this year in Surrey and police blame much of the gun violence on a low level drug feud.

lmao but they're south asian

that's like saying it's divisive to refer to the ethnicity of all those men who killed all their wives back in 2007

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Uh.

quote:

As the Liberals come closer to striking an all-party committee to deliver recommendations on electoral reform, on Thursday evening at the University of Ottawa Democratic Institutions Minister Maryam Monsef introduced eight principles she said will guide the process.

1. Canadians should believe that their intentions as voters are fairly translated into elections results, without (the) significant distortion that often characterizes elections conducted under the first-past-the-post system.

2. Canadians’ confidence needs to be restored — in their ability to influence politics and in their belief that their vote is meaningful.

3. Reforms need to increase diversity in the House of Commons and politics more broadly.

4. The chosen reform can’t make the electoral system more complex.

5. Voting needs to be more user-friendly and accessible.

6. Maintain the vital local connection an MP has with their constituents.

7. Voting needs to be secure and verifiable.

8. Canadians need to be inspired to find common ground and consensus.

There is no voting system that simultaneously satisfies 1, 4, and 6.

5 and 7 are contradictory.

2 and 8 are pablum.

But I do welcome the diversity quotas hinted at by 3. (There won't be diversity quotas.)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

But I do welcome the diversity quotas hinted at by 3. (There won't be diversity quotas.)

New Zealand has a cool system with Maori electorates, it'd be nice to see something similar here but yeah not a chance.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

All except the ones that aren't: United Nations Gang, Red Scorpions, Independent Soldiers, Bacon Brothers. etc.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Nice try but those gangs are all defunct

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Hexigrammus posted:

All except the ones that aren't: United Nations Gang, Red Scorpions, Independent Soldiers, Bacon Brothers. etc.

There are also some mostly-white gentlemen motorcycle enthusiasts who apparently work in the independent pharmaceuticals industry, I have heard!

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

EvilJoven posted:

Not everyone thinks that the best thing in life is going back and forth from their office tower to their apartment complex via subway in Toronto. I had that and I hated it so much I moved to Winnipeg to escape

poo poo, now I'm looking at giving up my office tower for a grain elevator full time, if I can swing it. I'd move from Winnipeg to somewhere smaller if I could convince my wife to come with me.

This is it, depends on what "quality of life" means to you. I lived in London (the real one) for 3 years, and Montreal for 5 years, and yeah if you like spending an hour getting anywhere and dealing with throngs of people and noise, pollution, traffic, 600k 800sqft faceless condos half-way up Yonge then yeah sure. I'm not sure what I'm missing by not being in a big urban centre anymore. I'd say the food, but the counterpoint is the seafood here is better than anywhere else. Also lots of potatoes. I guess a huge downfall is I have to drive to Moncton :cry: to go to Costco.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
So progressive. So fat.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Wait, why shouldn't a municipality also be pushed to find ways to reduce its carbon footprint as well?

More police on bikes or horses, less public works dudes each driving a truck to a site.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

Ikantski posted:

So progressive. So fat.

When I'm PM I'm going to pass a $300/tonne carbon tax with a full exemption for anyone and everyone, thus solving climate change forever.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

cowofwar posted:

Wait, why shouldn't a municipality also be pushed to find ways to reduce its carbon footprint as well?

More police on bikes or horses, less public works dudes each driving a truck to a site.

I wonder how much it would cost to retrofit a Tesla Model S into a police cruiser...

Seats 5 homeless in the back and 1 in the frunk!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/calorie-count-restaurant-menu-1.3535873?cmp=rss

Ontario chain restaurants must post calorie counts on menus by 2017

n a recent trip to New York City, Sarah Kosmack was blown away by what she read on the menu at fast-food restaurant, Shake Shack.

She planned to order a milkshake — until she saw the damage.

"I was shocked," Kosmack, who lives in Toronto, recalls. "It was so brutal. The calories were so high, I couldn't do it."

People in Ontario may soon be in for a similar shock. Starting in 2017, the province will require that food service establishments with 20 or more locations list the calorie amounts on the menu or menu display board.

Oh health is back on the news radar, let's get some better statistics then.

quote:

https://www.diabetes.ca/getmedia/513a0f6c-b1c9-4e56-a77c-6a492bf7350f/diabetes-charter-backgrounder-national-english.pdf.aspx

pre:
Diabetes in Canada
KEY   STATISTICS1                                                       2015                           2025
Estimated diabetes prevalence (n/%)                                     3.4 million/9.3%               5 million/12.1%
Estimated prediabetes prevalence in Canada (n/%)(age 20+)               5.7 million/22.1%              6.4 million/23.2%
Estimated diabetes prevalence increase (%) 44% from 2015-2025

Things are looking swell for our healthcare costs :downs:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
My gears are grinded

quote:

You didn't use enough electricity this winter, so prices are going up

TORONTO — Today, the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) announced new time-of-use (TOU) electricity prices for households and small businesses starting May 1. The price is increasing by approximately $3.13 per month on the "Electricity" line, and about 2.5 percent on the total bill, for a household that consumes 750 kWh per month.

Ontarians consumed less electricity than expected over the recent milder winter. As a result of lower usage, Regulated Price Plan (RPP) prices did not recover the full cost of serving RPP customers. One of the main reasons prices are increasing in May is to recover this shortfall.

Household consumption has been declining and successful conservation programs are a contributing factor. As a result, the OEB is now using 750 kWh per month, down from 800 kWh, to represent typical household monthly consumption for comparison purposes.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ikantski posted:

My gears are grinded

Hydro utilities: Use less energy!
OEB: Achievement Unlocked: 3% Rate Hike

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

Hydro utilities: Use less energy!
OEB: Achievement Unlocked: 3% Rate Hike

I like this bit "OEB is now using 750 kWh per month, down from 800 kWh" to bring down the "Your bill is only going up 2$ a month" line. Household energy use has been declining cause it's expensive as gently caress you assho.. no wait, it's the $2b we spent on successful conservation programs.

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.
Tell me CanPol: should I spoil my ballot because I hate all Manitoba parties or should I vote Liberal because I don't want the Cons to take this riding?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Ming the Merciless posted:

Tell me CanPol: should I spoil my ballot because I hate all Manitoba parties or should I vote Liberal because I don't want the Cons to take this riding?

Which riding are you in? Chances are voting Liberal will do poo poo

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.

DariusLikewise posted:

Which riding are you in? Chances are voting Liberal will do poo poo

River Heights. It's Libs or Cons here, the only Liberal riding last time around. Conservatives are probably gonna take it though!

I haven't even seen a single NDP door team here, which is good because I'd yell at them for being so stupid as to not get rid of Selinger a year ago.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

vote cpc-ml, duh

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Voting is worthless. The last federal election proved that. Spoil your ballot. Also gently caress Manitoba what a loving poo poo hole

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

River Heights. It's Libs or Cons here, the only Liberal riding last time around. Conservatives are probably gonna take it though!

I haven't even seen a single NDP door team here, which is good because I'd yell at them for being so stupid as to not get rid of Selinger a year ago.

I think Jon Gerrard still has a pretty solid hold on River Heights, he's polling at 55% right now. I'd rather vote Green than spoil my ballot, but I only have the 3 main parties running in my riding.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Ikantski posted:

So progressive. So fat.

Lol get with the program Nenshi. City of Vancouver already uses electric vehicles for all its regular cars.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
When I fly through Calgary it's impressive to see the four lane cul-de-sacs. A city that has truly gone all-in on car infrastructure.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
the OG communist party of canada has it written into their constitution that they will abolish the other parties and usher in single-party government rule. i respect their candor and honesty, a rare trait among politicians

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

cowofwar posted:

When I fly through Calgary it's impressive to see the four lane cul-de-sacs. A city that has truly gone all-in on car infrastructure.

We don't know how to operate roundabouts because all of our drivers were educated in Ontario public schools so we did the next best thing. :confused:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

Voting is worthless. The last federal election proved that. Spoil your ballot. Also gently caress Manitoba what a loving poo poo hole

Agreed.

I keep telling people to spoil their ballots but they hem and haw, "but my vote!"

Listen buddy, all of the parties are going to gently caress with the province this election and none of them are even remotely competent.

If we spoil our ballots the ruling parties will have less legitimacy, but only if you actually get your rear end to the booth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
the carbon tax is making my gas bill go up 77% Notley's the best :)