Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

G0RF posted:

18:20ish - Lando talks about how Chris changes direction like a UFO...

Then:

"He's more concerned with doing the best thing possible... Than doing that thing we said we were going to do..."

This is apparently an asset, not a liability...

It's almost like these guys just don't understand game development.

edit: catte development snipe

Toops fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
If Disco Hobo's (yes, complicit in the bullshit) rear end shows up in here to tell stories, I will slam my padded helmet's sharp front edge down repeatedly on anyone who tries to run him out.

Jared.

Dude.

:justpost:

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Star Citizen refactoring things

Star Citizen and its netcode

Star Citizen and its roadmap/deadlines

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

For shits and giggles, I decided to look up the building permit info for CIG's Los Angeles office. Looks like it really was kind of a clusterfuck and apparently the HVAC, plumbing, and general building permits haven't been finaled yet (the work hasn't been completely inspected and approved) and a certificate of occupancy hasn't been issued yet either. Yet they got a building permit for an exterior sign just the other day so it's not like the permit/inspection lookup is out of date...

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Haskell9 posted:

If Disco Hobo's (yes, complicit in the bullshit) rear end shows up in here to tell stories, I will slam my padded helmet's sharp front edge down repeatedly on anyone who tries to run him out.

Jared.

Dude.

:justpost:

:same:

I like him.

Look you guys, turns out we all live in the bizzarro dreamland. We get up every morning to get busy selling the illusion of self to ourselves. The best thing to do when you find yourself in this perilous situation is to laugh, and he seems to be in on the joke.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Ash1138 posted:

For shits and giggles, I decided to look up the building permit info for CIG's Los Angeles office. Looks like it really was kind of a clusterfuck and apparently the HVAC, plumbing, and general building permits haven't been finaled yet (the work hasn't been completely inspected and approved) and a certificate of occupancy hasn't been issued yet either. Yet they got a building permit for an exterior sign just the other day so it's not like the permit/inspection lookup is out of date...

Didn't they start building this office back in September 2015? The gently caress?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6567309/#Comment_6567309

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6567338/#Comment_6567338

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6567754/#Comment_6567754

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I too know what sq42 is going to have in it, even though chris himself has said "NO ONE SPOIL ANYTHING", but yet everyone knows what the game is going to have in it even though chris himse....infinite.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

VenusRedux posted:

K

How about suck my loving oval office, bitch boy? Let's see what kind of crying we get out of you now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Lol, holy poo poo, have CIG even claimed any of what this guy says is true? The leaked script shows the story is linear as gently caress and the missions are bland with a single objective.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Toops posted:

Didn't they start building this office back in September 2015? The gently caress?
Even worse: they were issued the building permit nearly a year ago. The general contractor was changed in September 2015.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Ash1138 posted:

Even worse: they were issued the building permit nearly a year ago. The general contractor was changed in September 2015.

So how does this stuff work? Is getting this stuff approved just a formality that always gets delayed by bureaucracy or is it really bad and they could say "lol knock it all down" at any moment?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's really sad we don't have more of these shitizens playing Elite, I'd like to see more real people in the open world instead of all the npcs.

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016
I feel like you could pay $45.00 for any item out of a dumpster and get more for your money than what you get paying for Star Citizen.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

VenusRedux posted:

K

How about suck my loving oval office, bitch boy? Let's see what kind of crying we get out of you now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:laffo: Should have been 3 months

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

VenusRedux posted:

K

Sandi control yourself!

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
Free Fuzzknot, jail Venus

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Sandi control yourself!

when you're the best salesman in the world and have been ever since a little girl you can take certain liberties

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Solarin posted:

for CIG, see also: almost everything on this list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-pattern

This in particular is a good one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_march_(project_management)

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

ewe2 posted:

Can someone give me a parody idea, like an artist or a song? (NOT full burn, its not going to happen). I just got a new analogue synthesizer so I'm keen to make stupid noises with it (I'm trying to get it to say PARP). I'd do a Bob Dylan but it's so difficult to pick a song.

can u hear the drums comando

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Kakarot posted:

:laffo: Should have been 3 months

No.

This probation means they can come back in 3 days and post more. 3 months would mean it would be 3 months before they could.

:justpost: is a categorical imperative

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jon Do posted:

i mean, you gotta think

if it wasnt for chris roberts, who the gently caress would hire this guy

If it weren't for CRobber, maybe he wouldn't be the broken shell of a person he is today. So… possibly lots of people?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Chalks posted:

Lol, holy poo poo, have CIG even claimed any of what this guy says is true? The leaked script shows the story is linear as gently caress and the missions are bland with a single objective.

those words and 'features' are all weasely bullshit that means absolutely fuckall. Can you choose which gun to use or to go through Gray Corridor A or Gray Corridor B? YOUR CHOICES MATTER FOR EACH AND EVERY MISSION! Have a paragraph of fluff text after the end of the game that changes based on your game clock? MULTIPLE ENDINGS THAT LET YOU DECIDE THE FATE OF THE 'VERSE!

Chris said it would be AAA and better than the rest. My favorite game from X genre is GoodGame - Chris' game will be GoodGame but better in all the ways I personally care about. :awesome::homebrew::a2m:

24 months, 1 divorce, 1 bankruptcy later: :nutshot:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

I can pay you in biscuits

I want some bikkies too, eh?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Jon Do posted:

sometimes i feel like people who havent been goons for years, certain subtexts get missing; not to single you out, i've been trying to figure out a way to condense almost 20 years of how this community came to be the way it is:

at some point this was a forum that was mostly regarding a gaming-centric comedy website. that website was, iirc, best known for IRC pranks. "pak chooie unf", i believe, was a much younger lowtax making fun of a literal child.

the forum really blew up off photoshops, and a lot of the comedy developed around "here is one topic or joke, turn it into a better one". this, among other things, like our elitist nature, drove a lot of posting to be cyclical, iirc as early as 2000:

1) someone makes fun of someone

2) 8,000 people who aren't actually funny post new jokes that really amount to rehashed old ones, hoping for laughs. they don't really have the balls to call anyone out, they just wait until it is marked okay by the community

3) one or two of them of them are actually funny

and thus the tradition of bandwagons of people trying to rehash jokes and make fun of targets already deemed acceptable was born, because everyone wants to be the guy from step 3.

a lot of guilds in video games were based around doing this all day every day in places that are not SA

But you see, Microsoft really called the third xbox the xbox one!

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

That twitch stream has Jared talking about liking goons at 1:15:30 if anyone cares for an exact time.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mr.Tophat posted:

I was thinking of you when you skipped those pages. Don't skip pages, I work hard as CIG on these posts

No, no you don't. You actually post functional posts, man. Don't put yourself down by saying you are as good as CIG. You're better than that, man, so much better. Don't feel empty!

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Tippis posted:

If it weren't for CRobber, maybe he wouldn't be the broken shell of a person he is today. So… possibly lots of people?

someone posted a quote (which i didnt bother to verify, sorry) that Lesnick feels that Chris Roberts literally saved his life

so yeah i mean clearly roberts saved this guys life AND gave him a job where he would be allowed to wear his stupid space cross every day

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

I can imagine a Sea Cucumber being up for it

Those little whores are up for everything. They like it dirty, and rough, and dirty...

Oh? What?

CIG SUCKS! SC IS A SCAM! BEN IS FAT!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I finally have what could be a mid-range gaming PC now, and you couldn't pay me enough to install SC on it for a "fly free" weekend. I have a feeling that whatever the gently caress they're doing would somehow irrevocably break it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

So Ben's got his tattoo done.

I can understand people being nostalic for the Wing Commander games. I think everyone gets nostalic for stuff from their youth regardless of how good it actually was or how well it stands the test of time. But the Wing Commander movie? The thing even fans of the games thought was awful? That's mind-blowing. What I find myself most curious about is how Croberts reacted when first meeting Lesnick. Consider Roberts' position: he got to make his big movie, his big break into real directing, and it flopped. It flopped so badly that he had to settle for pumping money into other people's films until he hosed even that up and got run out of Hollywood. The movie has not become a cult classic, or even been able to find an audience as a "so bad, it's good" film. This thing basically ruined your life. Then you meet this guy who professes to be your biggest fan (in more ways than one) and he's openly wearing a replica prop from your greatest failure. How do you not think "gently caress off, you're taking the piss"?

Because you are EVER so desperate to have people like you, and here is someone that loves you despite your failure, in fact, BECAUSE of your failures. Your utter fear of lonesomeness (that makes B'tak look like your average FPS character in contrast) has always led you to surround yourself with an entourage of leeches and yes men, so why not take it a step further? Your greatest fan by your side, at least 8 hours a day, loving you, worshipping you, and affirming for you that you deserve to exist...

Or, dunno, something like that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jon Do posted:

someone posted a quote (which i didnt bother to verify, sorry) that Lesnick feels that Chris Roberts literally saved his life

so yeah i mean clearly roberts saved this guys life AND gave him a job where he would be allowed to wear his stupid space cross every day

Put another way:

Ben, get help.
I don't mean the usual help we keep talking about because you have an arm-butt — I mean psychiatric, therapeutic, and pharmacologic help.

This one guy you adore has ruined your life and is slowly making you kill yourself. It is time to sever.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Samizdata posted:

I figured it was the plot to a Pink Panther movie:

A bumbling couple inadvertently become the head of a massive scheme after discovering they each have precisely half of a soul.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

ewe2 posted:

dammit another good idea, but I'm working on Found A Job for now.

Ooh that's another good angle. I'm tempted by some NiN. I'm also thinking about a different Bowie cover.

You are a hero. Melkor add an h to Ewe's note to indicate heroism and glory

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

ZenMaster posted:

That twitch stream has Jared talking about liking goons at 1:15:30 if anyone cares for an exact time.
I never realized some people like goons only at a very specific time of the day.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

A Neurotic Jew posted:

uh big deal does Frontier have any doors like this?!?

https://twitter.com/Devourlick/status/720789455775395840

On a day other than today this would have been the lamest star citizen related thing and we would've been goofing on doors for days

but that wing commander MOVIE tattoo is just something else...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

bettysbigtits was a "mom" who came on to reddit, maybe RSI, asking whales to buy pictures for her son. She offered pictures of her tits in exchange. People fell for it, ahhaha

i thought for sure it was tits anyhow

So, Ben shaved his chest then? Those CIG people sure do know marketing!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Risc1911 posted:

Very well put, i agree.

I have not worked with Cloud services in a while and i am sure they handle a lot of things very good now. I have done a lot of work for clients that want extreme performance. Bloomberg for example paid a huge Bonus for every ms i was able to shave off of certain financial transactions below an already tight threshold. I spent a week optimising the C++ and rewriting parts of the compiler for their platform to milk that cash cow.

I also remember re-writing their ftp client and server to give them faster file transfers which looking back was a really crazy linux kernel hack that was scary as gently caress. I basically dropped some of the handshaking and headers, replaced it with a more "optimized" version. It worked remarkably well though. Downside was, it would not work on any other kernel and not to be used outside the intranet for security reasons. Amazing how much time you can save if you know where you are and who you are talking to. That was when i was 20 years younger though, today i am semi retired.

Now, i know this is not something games need to concern themselves with since they would never need such optimization. You are completely right though when you say that the Hardware becomes irrelevant when you have lovely developers that lock up the CPU and IO because they never worked in a multi-threaded networked environment. We both know that CIG most likely does not have a professional on board that has any experience with real networking applications as evident by the state of the Alpha. They might have some networking guys from CryTek but that stuff is as you said trivial compared to a MMO environment and the heavy use of XML is kind of showing how inexperienced they are.

It will be really fun to watch this from a technical perspective. So far i have nto seen anything that would impress me. The whole Alpha is basically a CryEngine mod with some really bad code hacks that will bite them in the rear end later on.

TL;DR
Back in the olden days! Get off my kernel young code monkeys!

EDIT: Catte tax

Your posts have been brilliant. Cheers!

Also, any hope of refactoring your Catte Pette Simulator?

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

VenusRedux posted:

[too hot for SA!]

Good morning, everyo- :wotwot:

This stream is a nice present. Hello Lando; please write a memoir. And get Ben on to a calorie controlled diet. And kick nudge that door off its runners.

Risc1911 posted:

A great post to read.

E: And yes. Using XML as anything other than a cheap and cheerful serialization where you may not necessarily have full control of producer and consumer and/or need to communicate structure in addition to payload is the dumbest bleedin' thing. I don't understand game development at all. Also, what up 20+-years-chained-to-keyboard-buddy.

Watching them rapidly accumulate technical debt in much the same way as a dropped snowball that will consume four ski resorts is one of the best parts of this saga. You know it will signify total failure and/or back-pedalling on an epic scale, but it's fun to watch the sword hover.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Samizdata posted:

Because you are EVER so desperate to have people like you, and here is someone that loves you despite your failure, in fact, BECAUSE of your failures. Your utter fear of lonesomeness (that makes B'tak look like your average FPS character in contrast) has always led you to surround yourself with an entourage of leeches and yes men, so why not take it a step further? Your greatest fan by your side, at least 8 hours a day, loving you, worshipping you, and affirming for you that you deserve to exist...

I guess ben can be happy that if he ever does get out of this shitshow and loses weight, this tattoo will become really really tiny.

• Locked thread