Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Umm..does anyone have a recommendation for what weapon I should use if I have 10str/10dex/20 faith besides "get more stats" or "respec"? I'm using a raw astora's but it's starting to get kinda long in the tooth vs some of the people I'm fighting against..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

Did you meet up with onionbro 2.0? If yes, the elevator they were by has like a mid-point while going up you can jump off at too, you do that and find them sitting on a ledge lookin at a fuckhuge monster in the near distance that you can run down to fight and they come back you up.

Oh ok yeah I did that. I thought he meant the sieg was a catapult it had or something carry on.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
If anyone here is a sunlight warrior named Riana, I'm so sorry. You helped me out a lot in undead settlement and showed me a lot of neat hidden stuff but I didn't join the mound makers yet and I didn't want to fight the tree yet because of that. sorry for sending you home.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I think I'm gonna commit to a full dex build, I just sharpened my estoc and I'm really happy with the damage and moveset, but now that DEX is my dumpstat I need another dumpstat because right now I'm only pumping DEX and END basically. Is luck worthwhile? How dramatic are the drop rates between high and low luck?

e: er, i guess "dumpstat" is the wrong word. I need a good opposite-of-dumpstat

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Ok so I found the red invader covenant lady. I've heard that joining this one fucks up another npcs quest- but is that just the 'ask to join option'? Or should I just wait until I finish that npc before talking to her to get the trophy.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Couple things:

1. Are phantom's names now based on the character name instead of the PSN ID? I'm seeing lots of "normal" names and have to assume they aren't all NPCs.

2. I've hit a progress wall due to lack of direction. Just finished the Cathedral, went back to Firelink and talked to the chick & her buddy, they talked about where they were headed which I assumed was my clue, but it wasn't clear to me where I'm supposed to go to follow them.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

quadrophrenic posted:

I think I'm gonna commit to a full dex build, I just sharpened my estoc and I'm really happy with the damage and moveset, but now that DEX is my dumpstat I need another dumpstat because right now I'm only pumping DEX and END basically. Is luck worthwhile? How dramatic are the drop rates between high and low luck?

e: er, i guess "dumpstat" is the wrong word. I need a good opposite-of-dumpstat

Dex, Vigor and Endurance.

Just focus on those and you're set.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Does anyone know if Estus level has any effect on being summoned? I found a bunch of bone shards in the last area and now I've got a +6 flask even though I'm level 42 with a +4 weapon, and I'm wondering if that might somehow have something to do with the sparse covenant PvP.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Merauder posted:

Couple things:

1. Are phantom's names now based on the character name instead of the PSN ID? I'm seeing lots of "normal" names and have to assume they aren't all NPCs.

2. I've hit a progress wall due to lack of direction. Just finished the Cathedral, went back to Firelink and talked to the chick & her buddy, they talked about where they were headed which I assumed was my clue, but it wasn't clear to me where I'm supposed to go to follow them.

There is more than one way to go in the Road of Sacrifices.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Merauder posted:

Couple things:

1. It's a setting. I think the default is character name.

(also what does the summon sign visibility setting do?)

2. From the crystal mage bonfire, you want to go to the opposite end of the crab lagoon. Like hug the left wall. (or start at the halfway fortress and hug the right wall). I think.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

A Magical Lamp posted:

There is more than one way to go in the Road of Sacrifices.

OHGODDAMNIT
I even remember seeing an old school Black Knight and said to myself "okay need to remember this, going to come back here next".

Thanks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well ending discussion I'm wrapping up the game and I have literally no idea why absolutely any of the steps in Yuria's plan are needed or work. I mean, I figure my decaying zombie isn't one to look an immortal kingship in the mouth, but really it feels totally out of nowhere. I know she name-drops Kaathe if you kill her, but is there any actual clue as to what usurping the flame means or does?

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Does anyone know if Estus level has any effect on being summoned? I found a bunch of bone shards in the last area and now I've got a +6 flask even though I'm level 42 with a +4 weapon, and I'm wondering if that might somehow have something to do with the sparse covenant PvP.

Whoa what area did you find all those in? I'm at a similar level and only have a +1 so I just want to make sure I'm not blind. This game seems a lot.. shinier? than the last so I get a lot of false positives when I think I see a shiny.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i feel bad for a blue sentinel who got summoned to my world. probably the first time he's actually ever been summoned and its with an invader who was pretty cool and let me finish off some monsters before fighting me, so i felt bad about ganging up on him and just let them duke it out. invader won and then soap stoned out.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Barudak posted:

Well ending discussion I'm wrapping up the game and I have literally no idea why absolutely any of the steps in Yuria's plan are needed or work. I mean, I figure my decaying zombie isn't one to look an immortal kingship in the mouth, but really it feels totally out of nowhere. I know she name-drops Kaathe if you kill her, but is there any actual clue as to what usurping the flame means or does?

We will most likely never know, it's up to personal intepretation and that's sort of the point.

Is linking the fire a noble act of self sacrifice and a metaphor for the cost of progress or a futile attempt to forestall inevitable change? Is usurping the fire as you did breaking the cycle to make way for needed change or just a destructive act of greed and hubris? Nobody knows. It can.be argued many ways.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
If there is one thing I could change about this game, it'd be the ability to map the Kick skill to anything besides Left stick tap+R1 because god help me if I'm trying to change directions with my swing and end up kicking between two dudes rather than swinging my sword

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Managed to orchestrate a 1v1v1 that turned into a 2v2 when purpleguy and redguy teamed up against goldenguy and I felt like joining the fun. Only thing missing was a BlueCop and purpleguy backstabbing redguy.

Online is fun.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

i feel bad for a blue sentinel who got summoned to my world. probably the first time he's actually ever been summoned and its with an invader who was pretty cool and let me finish off some monsters before fighting me, so i felt bad about ganging up on him and just let them duke it out. invader won and then soap stoned out.

Blues get hits a lot more this time round and no one's gonna be mad at you for stepping back and letting a cool invader fight the blue. They always will since blue gives bonus rewards.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

When do I get the Darkmoon gesture from Sirris? I'd like to grab the Darkmoon badge but also join the other mutually exclusive covenant later, if that's even possible.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Also, I don't really get why in Lothric Both dragons die when I poke the boo-boo on the green one. Maybe it comes up later but it seemed really weird

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm at 11/+8 on estus and I'm mopping up the last four bosses, I've missed some obviously but I can't begin to think of where.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Deacons was a really cool gimmick fight. It took me way too long to figure out the trick to the first phase, though :sigh:

e; hilariously easy in coop, though.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 15, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The more I play online the more hilariously broken I find the game to be.

Did an invasion in Snowman's Land, get one where the host as two phantoms about to engage the Pontiff. Typical, but what happened made no sense. Host enters the fog wall so the invasion should of ended, but for some reason it didn't. First phantom tries to enter, but I backstab him at the same time. This caused him to rocket up into the sky (???) and I have no clue what happened to him after that.

Second phantom either couldn't enter the fog wall or wanted an ~honorable duel~, so I spent some time killing him. I won, and discovered that the host was actually busy fighting the Pontiff. Couldn't see him, but I saw the Pontiff's sword particles and him being damaged. I tried to encourage him by repeatedly throwing VERY GOOD! carvings. I don't think he appreciated that though, as he took time out of the fight to run over and stab me in the face through the fog.

He lost by the way.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Alabaster White posted:

When do I get the Darkmoon gesture from Sirris? I'd like to grab the Darkmoon badge but also join the other mutually exclusive covenant later, if that's even possible.

I think the trigger for her showing up the second time is pretty obscure; for me it was after meeting the Old Wolf of Farron and picking up the umbral ash from the hidden wall near him that lets you buy titanite shards.

It might not be something specific but a time/event thing?

May also have had something to do with me meeting Anri and Horace again, this time at Firelink which was after the Deacons.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I think the trigger for her showing up the second time is pretty obscure; for me it was after meeting the Old Wolf of Farron and picking up the umbral ash from the hidden wall near him that lets you buy titanite shards.

It might not be something specific but a time/event thing?

May also have had something to do with me meeting Anri and Horace again, this time at Firelink which was after the Deacons.

It's the ash from the Old Wolf bonfire, yeah.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Apparition posted:

Whoa what area did you find all those in? I'm at a similar level and only have a +1 so I just want to make sure I'm not blind. This game seems a lot.. shinier? than the last so I get a lot of false positives when I think I see a shiny.

I found 2 or 3 of them in the Catacombs, and pretty much every other zone has 1 that I've found so far. There's also a freebie on the roof of Firelink, which you can get to right away by jumping off of the tree on the upper level. I'm probably underleveled if anything though, I've been spending all my souls on weapons and armor and stuff.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Since poise doesn't seem to help very much, is there much point in using heavy armors? High defense stats have always seemed underwhelming in this series.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

il serpente cosmico posted:

Since poise doesn't seem to help very much, is there much point in using heavy armors? High defense stats have always seemed underwhelming in this series.

Fashion.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

I found 2 or 3 of them in the Catacombs, and pretty much every other zone has 1 that I've found so far. There's also a freebie on the roof of Firelink, which you can get to right away by jumping off of the tree on the upper level. I'm probably underleveled if anything though, I've been spending all my souls on weapons and armor and stuff.

Firelink has an estus shard, but no bone shards.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

I think we may be talking about different things, I'm good on estus shards, I need to bones to burn at the firelink bonfire to increase their effectiveness.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Every single step I take in this forest leads me to new nightmare horrors.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

il serpente cosmico posted:

It doesn't help a whole bunch but it's pretty critical to be able to fend of at least some attacks if you're going to be swinging a zweihander around. Otherwise combat becomes an exercise in frustration given how many fast enemies there are.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Every single step I take in this forest leads me to new nightmare horrors.

That's how I felt in one of the later zones. "Oh man, that's pretty nasty. Oh geeze, that's worse. OH GOD WHAT WHAT?!"

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Apparition posted:

I think we may be talking about different things, I'm good on estus shards, I need to bones to burn at the firelink bonfire to increase their effectiveness.

Ah duh, brain fart moment. I did mean bone shards, for some reason I thought the one in Firelink was bone.

There's one in the Settlement (you probably have this one), plus another in Farron swamp right after the bonfire. There's 2 more in the Catacombs and another in the Cathedral.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 15, 2016

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I was exploring the poison swamp in Farron Keep and it's made me feel sad, not because of how bullshit some of the enemies are, but because you find a set of antiquated robes and a tome that lets you learn Oolacile sorceries next to a corpse, as well as a pile of dead mushrooms from DS1 :(

On the other hand, I got a Greatsword :getin:

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I've never played a dark souls game before but I heard the multiplayer on this game is unlike any other game before it. Can I just go around collecting ears?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh what the gently caress is anything even

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I was trying out a new character and while fighting the crystal lizard thingie near the tutorial area I ... bloodborne-parried him? As in I hit him with regular attacks and suddenly he was stunned and allowed me to do a riposte. Anyone know if this is a timing thing I stumbled into or is it a matter of poise?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
So I got summoned to help with a boss and the host was wearing the Dancer of the Boreal Valley armor, but I have no idea where they got it from. Any ideas?

EDIT: Apparently I give the boss soul to turn it into armor, I don't think I saw that option though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Philosopher King posted:

I've never played a dark souls game before but I heard the multiplayer on this game is unlike any other game before it. Can I just go around collecting ears?

Fairly early even, yeah.