Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."

RatHat posted:

gently caress the crabs, seriously. I guess they're supposed to be more of an obstacle than an enemy you kill.

Crabs get a lot easier when you realize that you can keep to the front of them, which will make them use more telegraphed attacks that are easier to dodge and punish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Undead Village stuff: Is the area where onionbro is chilling after you meet him a dead end, a side area, the way to the next area or what? I dropped from the rooftops, picked up a Homeward Bone and took that as a hint to GTFO because Oh my god giant fire demon thing!

It's a side area, loops back to the main area, but I would suggest that your new friend continues to be a little bit too deliberative. Sometimes a direct approach works quite well.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I just got to snowland and holy poo poo that might be the prettiest landscape I've ever seen in a videogame. Especially effective coming right after the previous area.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I hate the illusions in this game. I've been pretty good at finding them in past Souls games, but have found almost all of the ones in this game only through messages. Everywhere I think there would be a wall, there isn't one. And some of them are ridiculous, like one in the Ice Town; a loving illusionary staircase??? What the hell.

RatHat posted:

gently caress the crabs, seriously. I guess they're supposed to be more of an obstacle than an enemy you kill.

Actually, you are supposed to kill them. You even get a ring for killing the two big ones in a single run.

Do not make the mistake I did and assume this will also apply to the 7 crabs you run into later. Those fuckers drop nothing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Apparition posted:

There's no way because I can make it on a character that hasn't passed Farron's yet, I just don't remember what I killed to obtain it D:

Weird. To be specific it's the fire demon, but I didn't think the first one gave you a soul.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Apparition posted:

Sorry, I wrote that like an idiot. I got the soul to get this item, but I don't remember which enemy I killed. If I want to make a new fisto character and try and beeline to get the soul, who drops it?

I played only fists from the beginning (or at least once I got the caestus) and let me tell you, it mostly sucked. like a lot.

earlest you can get it is in the catacombs since iirc only one enemy drops it and it's the fire demon under the wolnir. (you can get it to fight the mimic and both of them die in like four hits, so at least t's easy to get)

a cestus at +10 with the strength gem actually does about 18 damage less than this and can be buffed so at a really high level the cestus, weirdly, is better than this one, but the demon's fist is hilarious.

the R2 is a spinning zangief-style tornado that you can turn into a lava spout knockup that has hyper armor. Doesn't do great damage but the knockup's great since you can get two or three L1's in before they're able to move again.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Orv posted:

Weird. To be specific it's the fire demon, but I didn't think the first one gave you a soul.

the first one is the one you fight with siegward and it doesn't give you a soul because it's not firey enough i guess

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So if I put my +4 or higher weapons in a weapon box can I fight people who have lower level weapons? Because there is loving no one besides that one guy I fought available for wolf fights.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Nuebot posted:

So if I put my +4 or higher weapons in a weapon box can I fight people who have lower level weapons? Because there is loving no one besides that one guy I fought available for wolf fights.

apparently not, although the reason no one's there for wolf fights is because they're all in the zone after pontiff with farron's big brother

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

apparently not, although the reason no one's there for wolf fights is because they're all in the zone after pontiff with farron's big brother

Well that blows. I need wolf grass. Do any enemies drop them?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
There are so many bonfires!!!!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Connoisseur posted:

Crabs get a lot easier when you realize that you can keep to the front of them, which will make them use more telegraphed attacks that are easier to dodge and punish.

The problem I had was I couldn't kill them fast enough and they'd just burrow underground and regen all their health.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
all the weird beast guys in the swamp should drop them, they just have a really lovely drop rate

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Well that blows. I need wolf grass. Do any enemies drop them?

If you want to wolf fight you want no better than a +3 and probably no more than SL 35. If you want to do that you could probably get a new character in position in about an hour.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."

RatHat posted:

The problem I had was I couldn't kill them fast enough and they'd just burrow underground and regen all their health.

From what I've seen they only do that if you retreat to land. I usually fight them in the water and use the large trees as a barrier when healing is needed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Connoisseur posted:

From what I've seen they only do that if you retreat to land. I usually fight them in the water and use the large trees as a barrier when healing is needed.

Ah damnit, I guess I was fighting too close to the shore.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Thumbtacks posted:

all the weird beast guys in the swamp should drop them, they just have a really lovely drop rate

Hence

Lid posted:

Is there a way to check covenant allegiance level? I have no idea how many more drat things I have to give this wolf.

I am sick to death of hitting these three guys in the back.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There is not, no. After all the QoL steps they've made over 5 titles, that's one of the big standouts.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
It's really weird how many good things from DS2 are missing in this game. Even the really small things like listing your poise damage.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Dezztroy posted:

It's really weird how many good things from DS2 are missing in this game. Even the really small things like listing your poise damage.

There's also the thing where you can only get stunlocked for two hits (theoretically) not sure why that one sword can infinite anyway

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The covenants are standardized now, you always need to turn in 10 and then 20 more (for a total of 30) to unlock everything. You couldn't check your progress between ranks in Dark Souls 2 either, which anybody who suffered through trying to rank up Sentinels or Bloodbros should know well.

EDIT: O you meant a way to check that. Yeah it'd be cool

Orv
May 4, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

There's also the thing where you can only get stunlocked for two hits (theoretically) not sure why that one sword can infinite anyway

That's been one of my major PvP complaints, there's basically nothing standardized about stunlocking in this and it's incredibly frustrating at times.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game is so loving huge. Or at least it feels huge. This swamp feels legit...twice as big as anything like it in any of the other games.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

Thanks, fairly lovely drop rate but based on my experiences the guys with the shields and capes have the best drop rates so far. So I'm just hopping out, sprinting over to the two or three right behind the bonfire tower and murdering them. I've been getting one per go so far so not too bad. As an aside you can't kill the old wolf, it bleed when you hit it but it doesn't die.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

There are so many bonfires!!!!

I just got the (later weapon spoiler) Dual Katana weapon from the NPCs in the Grand Library and it's Sword Art attack is :stare:

Orv posted:

There is not, no. After all the QoL steps they've made over 5 titles, that's one of the big standouts.

At least they let us turn in multiples of tokens, rather than one at a time :v:

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cant stop cooping the abyss watchers fight, feels like a real battle!!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So is there any way to join the Mound Makers covenant after killing the Curserotted Greatwood?

Sorry if this was asked already, I haven't been browsing the thread to avoid spoilers.

Also, does anyone have the PrimaGames guide? How is it?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

RatHat posted:

So is there any way to join the Mound Makers covenant after killing the Curserotted Greatwood?

Sorry if this was asked already, I haven't been browsing the thread to avoid spoilers.

Also, does anyone have the PrimaGames guide? How is it?

Yes, but it requires you to do Sirris' questline.

Don't have the guide, but by all reports it's really lovely. Missing info (whole chapters, it sounds like?), vague advice, crappy index, etc.

Also holy poo poo I finally took down the Pontiff and that might legit be the most difficult boss in the entire series, including Bloodborne.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Re: Sirris

I joined the PvP covenant to get the achievement not knowing that it seems to get rid of her. However I she never told me we are now enemies which apparently she does, instead I haven't seen her since she told me I am a good person and gave me a gesture I think, so *shrugs* maybe the storyline will be ok for me?

Whens the next part in the story I can check this?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

my new dog posted:

Cant stop cooping the abyss watchers fight, feels like a real battle!!

It is a rad fight, I like how after a point the other dudes start reviving themselves and fighting eachother too. It's also great to have a boss you can actually parry and backstab again. Sadly second form is somewhat harder because my computer does not appreciate all the fire.

EDIT: Now I don't know what weapon to get from the soul.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 15, 2016

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Oh whoa, so the finger item makes it so you can summon THREE allies!?!?! That's insane..

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Wanted to join the Aldrich Faithful covenant and there are TWO of those things from the Ithyll bridge guarding it. What the gently caress.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

a cop posted:

Oh whoa, so the finger item makes it so you can summon THREE allies!?!?! That's insane..

I just got summoned into a 4 man group for Dancer of the Boreal Valley!

We all charged in, she immediately did her grab attack, picked up all three phantoms at once, and one shot all of us leaving the host by himself with a megaDancer

:negative:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Tamayachi posted:

I got summoned as a sunbro for Treenuts at level 43 with a +4 Dark Sword. Some people are REALLY taking their time with this game.

Nuebot posted:

He is an optional boss. It is possible they somehow missed the whole area and went ahead to farron keep instead.
I just did it now at level 65. I had dipped into this thread to ask a question about something none related and saw if you kill the tree you can't join a covenant? So i avoided the tree until I felt like I couldn't put it off any further. I finally get to change souls into items but I already accidentally spent all my rare shards on some weird axe I thought I might like but to activate the lifesteal you gotta do like five seconds of ringing an invisible bell and it only lasts about 12 seconds so I can't see me ever using it.

Anyway game has done some nonsense that is great.
I swear I saw this boss in a demo about six months ago? But it was different? Instead of boreal vordt they fought the dancer of the valley, who was ice themed, to show off the frostbite mechanic. Then a few days back I find her, she was relegated to a non-respawning enemy in a basement who gives you a frostbite sword and you fight vordt in her room instead and I thought okay that's weird. And now I fought the dancer but she was burning the building down and clearly not ice themed and what a weird goddamn thing. I don't even know if I have a point. It's weird to do that right? Just to mix up expectations?

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any PvP in the game that isn't dogshit? The priority of invading hosts who already have phantoms summoned is the most retarded thing I've ever seen.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Faithful of whatever seems alright. I mean I got invaded by two blues and a purple just walking into the area. And then I accidentally joined up and every time I invade it's a 2v2 brawl just going nuts as hell.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
The girlfriend had to leave at 7am for her shift so I got up with her and spent a couple hours before work sunbroing people through vordt.

Was still getting non stop summoned even at 7am on a weekday, I love Souls launch periods and now have a firelink tower key and stack of sunlight medals to show for it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

a cop posted:

It also allows 2 invaders though, and makes the invasion timer shorter.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Ugh people who invade to tag team a host and just stand off to the side waiting to have an honorable samurai duel or whatever are the drat worst. Enjoy the 1 time in 100 that you get to be on the fun side of a ridiculous gank, you goony fucks.

edit: Also, for whatever reason Blue Sentinels is totally dead for me, but Aldrich Faithful is non-stop invasion action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

RatHat posted:

It also allows 2 invaders though, and makes the invasion timer shorter.

tbh it should allow for three invaders and your default embered state should allow for 2