Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Could someone explain to me how Google Music Player / Google Photos works? I have everything set up to upload anything to the Google cloud but if I delete that picture or music off of my computer where it uploaded it from, will it delete it from the cloud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Busy Bee posted:

Could someone explain to me how Google Music Player / Google Photos works? I have everything set up to upload anything to the Google cloud but if I delete that picture or music off of my computer where it uploaded it from, will it delete it from the cloud?

No, one of the features of using a cloud service is that your storage capacity isn't limited by your personal hardware - you can store as many photos as you want without keeping any of them on your device. If you want to really obliterate a photo however, you'll have to delete it in the app.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

thrakkorzog posted:

Maybe BBQ sauce?

Depending on the the style it can vary from sweeter than Ketchup to a fairly mild hot sauce. South Carolina BBQ sauce is very different than Texas style BBQ Sauce. I will forego an opinion on which sauce is best, since that usually leads to flamewars, and just say that BBQ sauce might be the sauce you're looking for.

Consistency and flavors vary, but all the sauces with the consistency of Ketchup will be sweet, usually because most include actual ketchup in the sauce.

Maybe just start at a can of tomato paste, and work your way from there?

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Last year I replaced part of my lawn with rocks to make the whole thing easier to maintain. I even put down that weed blocking fabric first, but I already have weeds growing up through the rocks and I don't want to pull them all up by hand every week because :effort:. Does anyone recommend a broad-spectrum herbicide I can use and re-apply to stop stuff from growing there again?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Poldarn posted:

Last year I replaced part of my lawn with rocks to make the whole thing easier to maintain. I even put down that weed blocking fabric first, but I already have weeds growing up through the rocks and I don't want to pull them all up by hand every week because :effort:. Does anyone recommend a broad-spectrum herbicide I can use and re-apply to stop stuff from growing there again?

Spray glyphosate/roundup. Everything in the area will die and nothing will grow there for the next year or two.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Poldarn posted:

Cobalt-60. Alternatively, can't you find some sort of low maintenance grass seed? It's just a bit sad to deny the area to all the bugs and stuff that might like to live there.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

Google Photos can sync to your computer. If you delete those photos (instead of unsyncing them) you can accidentally delete them all. Use caution.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

Spray glyphosate/roundup. Everything in the area will die and nothing will grow there for the next year or two.

Sweet.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Cobalt-60. Alternatively, can't you find some sort of low maintenance grass seed? It's just a bit sad to deny the area to all the bugs and stuff that might like to live there.

Getting the rocks in place last year sucked enough, I'm not gonna dig em up again.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I've been paying my rent using Paypal, but now my landlord wants to switch to either QuickPay or Popmoney instead. I have three questions:

1) Are these services reputable or at least, no more disreputable than Paypal is already?

2) Would I need a bank account with a particular bank (it sounds like QuickPay is associated with Chase), are there usage or inactivity fees, or anything else that would make them a pain in the rear end to use for this purpose (and nothing else?)

3) Is there any way to send money from Paypal to a QuickPay or Popmoney account? (And if so, does the owner of the receiving account have to do anything special, or can I do it all from my end?)

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
This doesn't answer your question really, but I'm using cozy.co which is built for landlord/tenant payments, it's direct transfer from bank to bank, and it doesn't cost anybody anything. I've been with them a year and no real complaints. It's pretty featureless, but once you set up the transfer once, it's all automated every month.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've been paying my rent using Paypal, but now my landlord wants to switch to either QuickPay or Popmoney instead. I have three questions:

1) Are these services reputable or at least, no more disreputable than Paypal is already?

2) Would I need a bank account with a particular bank (it sounds like QuickPay is associated with Chase), are there usage or inactivity fees, or anything else that would make them a pain in the rear end to use for this purpose (and nothing else?)

3) Is there any way to send money from Paypal to a QuickPay or Popmoney account? (And if so, does the owner of the receiving account have to do anything special, or can I do it all from my end?)

QuickPay is just a service of Chase to send money to or from a Chase account, and is just as reputable as the bank itself. I think it's possible to send money to and from accounts at a different (non-Chase) bank with a little setup, but at least one of the bank accounts involved has to be with Chase. If your landlord has a Chase account, it should work fine, although it looks like transfers involving an outside bank take "one to two business days" to go through. But I've only ever used QuickPay with someone else who also has a Chase account (which is really the scenario it's actually there for), and those transfers have been basically instant.

Details are here: https://www.chase.com/index.jsp?pg_name=ccpmapp/individuals/shared/page/quickpay_faqs

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I have PopMoney available both from my regular bank (PNC, one of the biggest in the country) and my local credit union (Metro Credit Union of Boston). So at least that is reputable. Only way I've found to use PayPal with it is to withdraw to a bank account with a bank/credit union using PopMoney and then paying through there.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
In this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aKNhvMd_5U

The main drummer has two big rear end drums to either side of his kit. Are these just really huge bass drums or are they something else?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

In this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aKNhvMd_5U

The main drummer has two big rear end drums to either side of his kit. Are these just really huge bass drums or are they something else?

Looks like a couple of comically-large floor toms to me.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
they're what makes me think spirit deserve to lose their lawsuit against zeppelin

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Golf balls: I want to get a box of personalized Titleist for the old man's birthday. I know that most pros use the V1X so I think those would be more impressive. My question is: would there be a big chance he would hate hitting them (over the V1)? I don't know what his handicap is but he's no slouch - this year he got a hole-in-one somewhere. I've read the V1X is ideal for fast swing speeds (he's almost 60 so lol) but does that make a difference? Or is the difference big enough that I should just stick with the V1 to be safe (and boring?)?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Golf balls: I want to get a box of personalized Titleist for the old man's birthday. I know that most pros use the V1X so I think those would be more impressive. My question is: would there be a big chance he would hate hitting them (over the V1)? I don't know what his handicap is but he's no slouch - this year he got a hole-in-one somewhere. I've read the V1X is ideal for fast swing speeds (he's almost 60 so lol) but does that make a difference? Or is the difference big enough that I should just stick with the V1 to be safe (and boring?)?

Consider this: he will save a few of them to display, and thus the logo won't matter. The rest he will either lose or damage and throw away. Golf balls are basically a consumable for almost every non-pro golfer so he will probably be pretty happy to have a dozen very nice balls in the V1.

I think you're thinking too hard, unless your dad is seriously hardcore into golf.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

Lawnie posted:

Consider this: he will save a few of them to display, and thus the logo won't matter. The rest he will either lose or damage and throw away. Golf balls are basically a consumable for almost every non-pro golfer so he will probably be pretty happy to have a dozen very nice balls in the V1.

I think you're thinking too hard, unless your dad is seriously hardcore into golf.

Good points. He's probably improved quite a bit since I last saw him but I'm sure he still buys used balls that come in egg cartons or a plastic bag.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Good points. He's probably improved quite a bit since I last saw him but I'm sure he still buys used balls that come in egg cartons or a plastic bag.

Alternate option: for the same price as monogramed golf balls, you could probably buy him an entire 50 gallon trash can's worth of used range balls / fished out of the pond balls.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

kedo posted:

Alternate option: for the same price as monogramed golf balls, you could probably buy him an entire 50 gallon trash can's worth of used range balls / fished out of the pond balls.

Too bourgeois.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Poldarn posted:

How big an area are you talking? I used rock salt along the outside part of my fence (where I don't want anything to grow ever) and it's worked pretty well.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What's the word/phrase for something used only as an excuse for consuming/delivering something else? Nachos are just an X for cheese, for instance.

It's some oddly technical phrase, like a delivery device (this obviously isn't it).

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Conveyance? Delivery system?

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

How big an area are you talking? I used rock salt along the outside part of my fence (where I don't want anything to grow ever) and it's worked pretty well.

Same area. I had thought about "salting the earth" for a biblical weed Armageddon.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Vegetable posted:

What's the word/phrase for something used only as an excuse for consuming/delivering something else? Nachos are just an X for cheese, for instance.

It's some oddly technical phrase, like a delivery device (this obviously isn't it).

Vector ?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

Vehicle.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Vegetable posted:

It's delivery vector, as in, "The F-35 is one of our more dollar-intensive ordnance delivery vectors".

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

As far as the exact "__ is just a __ for __" phrasing the one I've heard is vessel.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
I just watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWE79K2Ii-s

This was my first exposure to UFC and I'm pretty shocked to be honest. In most of these clips, one of the guys very obviously falls to the floor and doesn't make moves to get up, but the other guy just loving jumps on him and SMASHES him in the face 3-4 times before the referee pulls him off. Isn't this sport incredibly dangerous? Has anyone died competing at a high level of UFC? Suffered major injuries/handicaps? Are there rules and/or punishments for excessive beatings after someone hits the floor? What the gently caress ARE the rules of UFC even? Can you just pound on the other guy until he loses consciousness?

It just seems so brutal is all. I mean christ, in some of the clips you can see blood stains on the arena and even old dried blood on the chest and face of some of the fighters.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Werner-Boogle posted:

This was my first exposure to UFC and I'm pretty shocked to be honest. In most of these clips, one of the guys very obviously falls to the floor and doesn't make moves to get up, but the other guy just loving jumps on him and SMASHES him in the face 3-4 times before the referee pulls him off. Isn't this sport incredibly dangerous? Has anyone died competing at a high level of UFC? Suffered major injuries/handicaps? Are there rules and/or punishments for excessive beatings after someone hits the floor? What the gently caress ARE the rules of UFC even? Can you just pound on the other guy until he loses consciousness?

It just seems so brutal is all. I mean christ, in some of the clips you can see blood stains on the arena and even old dried blood on the chest and face of some of the fighters.

You don't stop hitting them until the referee says you win for the same reason you don't stop playing a point in tennis until the ball is called out.

Getting the other guy down, getting on top of him and punching him in the face until he gives up or the ref ends the fight is a fairly common strategy, known as "ground and pound". There's no "excessive beatings", it's the ref's job to end the fight in a timely manner.

Note that you've literally watched a video full of knockouts. Quite often a blow might stagger or knock down someone but not knock them out, and they can and do recover from it. So you need to seize the advantage immediately and pound the snot out of them. It's not always clear that you've knocked them out, and again that's the ref's job afaik.

As for blood: yes, that happens when two beefy people beat the tar out of each other. I'm not sure what you expected. It happens in boxing as well.

As far as I know, the rules are no gouging, biting, small joint manipulation, blows to groin area. Some MMA leagues have no stomping on heads, not that that's particularly useful as a tactic. The fight stops when a fighter taps on the mat or his opponent, signalling he's given up (eg if someone wins by a painful joint lock), or if the ref calls it of course.

As for deaths in UFC: I don't know, but you're just as capable of googling the answer as I am. I can't imagine there's many, if any.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 15, 2016

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

As for deaths in UFC: I don't know, but you're just as capable of googling the answer as I am. I can't imagine there's many, if any.

There was one on Monday: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/04/12/conor-mcgregor-mma-fighters-death-after-dublin-match-is-heartbreaking/

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Werner-Boogle posted:

There are a lot of posters in the UFC thread in Rowdy Ringsports who train in the various aspects of Mixed Martial Arts, (the sport that the UFC promote events under) who can explain some certain specifics but I'll answer some of your points from my own perspective as well as I can. They're smarter than me and can likely dispel some concerns better than I ever could.
You can find that here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3770541&perpage=40&pagenumber=49#pti34

Some of those KO's in the clip are in-arguably late stoppages and don't reflect especially well. Bear in mind that a lot of the clips are old fights too and the sport continues to come a long way. Some referees are really lovely at stopping fights and don't do it until a fighter has taken too much. There are referees, especially recently, who stop fights early and take flak for that. There are some fighters who don't follow up when people are very clearly out of it and they are applauded and well liked for that.

The sport is considered at least as safe or more safe than boxing. I would certainly say it's more safe than Boxing or even NFL. There are no ten counts in MMA, the referee will wave the fight off as soon as a fighter cannot intelligently defend themselves. In Boxing, a fighter can get knocked down and then stand back up and take some more beating until they fail the 10 count.

No one has died in the UFC. People have died in MMA. Sadly, a fighter from Portugal died in an Irish league this week. There are in-depth investigations underway into both the regulation of the event in regards to health and whether or not this fighter had an existing condition or if it was just poor luck. I've seen the end of the fight in which the fighter died after ward and he wasn't knocked unconscious during the fight. It's just a tragedy all around and nothing that could have been foreseen.

Major injuries have happened. A fighter widely regarded as one of the greatest MMA fighters ever, Anderson Silva broke his leg kicking Chris Weidman's, sometimes bones break during submissions if the fighter being submitted doesn't quit. With submissions, there's a responsibility to your own health too somewhat. Some techniques break bones more quickly than anyone could ever stop the fight. Bad luck or awkward positioning when being taken down plays into random breaks such as Anderson Silva's leg break, or say, ACL injuries like Carlos Condit suffered.

The rules of MMA are actually extremely strict though and don't be fooled into thinking it's highly unregulated and violent purely because of the cage or whatever. You can't poke people in the eyes, hit them in the groin, break fingers or other small joint manipulation. You can't pull hair, or use a fighter's uniform against them nor hold your fingers in the cage (so your fingers don't break). You can't throw elbows at a 12-6 (vertical) angle or kick or knee an opponent in the head if they are grounded (if one hand is touching the mat) in the UFC. Other MMA organisations allow the kicks and knees. A referee must and will stop the fight when a fighter can't defend themselves, usually signified by the referee saying "Defend yourself" to the fighter. The fighter has to immediately make it clear they are defending themselves intelligently at that point or they will stop it. You can technically pound the other guy until he's asleep, but it doesn't happen especially often and it's heavily fought against. A ref will always, always do his best to stop it happening but sometimes people's lights go out before anything can be done.

I can't say 100% if there are punishments hard written into the rules for holding a submission or punching a clearly unconscious opponent beyond the realms of reasonability (remember that these are elite athletes who can probably throw three punches before their brain catches up and tells them to stop) but the Nevada State Athletic Commission (the world's leading AC when it comes to MMA, basically) can, will and have punished clearly unsporting behaviour. For an example, look at Rousimar Palhares, who is known for holding leg locks on for too long. He's currently serving a lengthy ban for holding submissions too long.

The rules for MMA are listed here:
http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations

The blood isn't really anything to be concerned about for the most part. Fighters generally don't fight with any sort of bloodborne illness (they likely wouldn't even be well enough to if they had them). It's more of a distasteful thing to look at. Cuts are nothing compared to brain trauma.

Personally speaking, I think the most dangerous aspect of MMA (and amateur wrestling, boxing and other sports with weight divisions) is urgent weight cutting and there are movements in place by health bodies to try to make that a thing of the past. It'll take a while if it should ever happen though. The UFC are also footing the bill for huge scale USADA drug testing to also protect fighters from both other fighters and themselves.

Anyway, don't take this as a post to sort of say "you're totally wrong, it's not brutal" and that you should watch it, it's definitely not everyones cup of tea and that's totally cool, but do take away that it's a highly regulated sport where fighter health is treated a lot more seriously than in some other, so called safer sports and that there are very stringent rules.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 15, 2016

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Werner-Boogle posted:

Yeah its really dangerous but nowhere near as dangerous as road cycling races or boxing for example. there are rules as well. nobody has died in the ufc as far as i know

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also some MMA refs are just not good. Steve Mazzagatti routinely lets people take beatings far longer than necessary because he's out of position and staring into space. That Yves Edwards KO towards the beginning of that clip is prime Mazzagatti.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It should be noted that any sport involving repeated blows does come with a risk of brain hemorrhage or longer lasting brain trauma
(there's word for this I can't remember offhand). This includes MMA, football, soccer, rugby and boxing. Sports science has been catching up to this problem and it's only come into the public spotlight in the last 10 years or so.

Cuts to the head bleed a lot more than elsewhere, so even minor wounds can end up looking like a horror show.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 15, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

It should be noted that any sport involving repeated blows does come with a risk of brain hemorrhage or longer lasting brain trauma
(there's word for this I can't remember offhand).

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE)?

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Vegetable posted:

I'm late to this party, but a sort-of similar word is proxy.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
There has never been a death in the ufc. There have been deaths in lower leagues but I believe most of them have been heart attack and the like so really it's something that could have happened with any intense physical exertion.

People have broken bones and such of course, but nobody in the ufc has ever ended up in a wheelchair or anything like that.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

That isn't the UFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Also I will explain why Mixed Martial Arts (this sis the actual name of the sport, the UFC is the best known promotion with puts on mma fights) is considered safer then boxing. Concussions are bad for you, but especially bad is what's called second impact syndrome (iirc that's the name). What this means is that if you get a xoncuaaion, and then get hit again, it can be reealllllyyyy bad for you. In boxing this happens quote often because you can be knocked down (which is pretty much a concussion) but as long as you stand up before the count of 10 you are allowed to keep fighting, which means getting hit in the head a bunch more. In mma if you get hurt bad enough that you go down and can't defend yourself that's it, fights over.