Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

I appreciate everybody wanting me to move to their town, but I'm in the middle of a useless degree so I'll probably go wherever I can get a job.

Sadly the place where you'll be able to get a job will be London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Guavanaut posted:

What are you having done to it?

Getting the back cleared and turfed, a new path put down and the gate rebuilt and a bit of a border put down.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Pissflaps posted:

Getting the back cleared and turfed, a new path put down and the gate rebuilt and a bit of a border put down.

Sounds like it will end up looking nice

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

DrWrestling69 posted:

Sounds like it will end up looking nice

I hope so. The main aim is 'functional' for now so we've got a nice place for a paddling pool and a swing.

We're also having our hedge trimmed.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Incidentally if people want to know one of the reasons why the issue of tax avoidance will never be taken seriously by the Tories, read the book "Treasure Islands" by Nicholas Shaxson who makes the case, quite convincingly, that everyone's favourite City is actually a huge tax haven in and of itself.

Why will we never fix the problem? Because if we did our entire economy would probably collapse.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Hiring someone to do your garden work rather than DIYing it? Sounds suspiciously posh to me.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

TinTower posted:

Happy Manchester United Fans Shitpost About Heysel Day, Comrades!

Hillsborough

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

LemonDrizzle posted:

Hiring someone to do your garden work rather than DIYing it? Sounds suspiciously posh to me.

Some people aren't able to do their own garden work.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

LemonDrizzle posted:

First Against The Fence

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Graun has done a piece on a campaigner who I've followed on Twitter for quite a bit - telling the story of how being well-to-do comfortable people can lead to being severely in debt while on benefits frighteningly quickly, and totally outside of your control:

Here it is.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

The Graun has done a piece on a campaigner who I've followed on Twitter for quite a bit - telling the story of how being well-to-do comfortable people can lead to being severely in debt while on benefits frighteningly quickly, and totally outside of your control:

Here it is.

To play devil's arsehole for a minute: a life insurance policy with critical illness cover may have been a better investment for them than a Sunday sports car.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pissflaps posted:

I'm getting my garden done next week.
Good for you, male pubic trimming is very fashionable. I usually do mine myself though

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

Sunday sports car.
Is that a car with fake stories and tits?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

You sure the weather will be ok for it?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Cerv posted:

You sure the weather will be ok for it?

It's the right time of year for turfing what aspect of the weather do you think I should be concerned about?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

It's the right time of year for turfing what aspect of the weather do you think I should be concerned about?

Pissing rain

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Cerv posted:

Pissing rain

Freshly laid turf needs lots of water.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

LemonDrizzle posted:

It's a stimulus package. Pissflaps is a job creator.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

To play devil's arsehole for a minute: a life insurance policy with critical illness cover may have been a better investment for them than a Sunday sports car.

While the benefits of having critical insurance cover should not be understated, very few people will be able to accurately predict the amount of money they'd require to live a happy and productive (if shortened) life should something like this happen.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also, hindsight is 20/20.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also they didn't have a sunday sports car, they had two cars because they were two grown adults with jobs they had to commute to.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tesseraction posted:

if they hadn't had kids they'd be able to eat.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Jose posted:

if they hadn't had kids they'd be able to eat.

I don't know, they would get less benefits if they didn't have kids and there would probably be a similar disparity between what they get and what they need scaled down. And finding one bedroom houses or flats suitable for wheelchair access (so you don't get hit by the bedroom tax) can be a nightmare.

Tesseraction posted:

Also they didn't have a sunday sports car, they had two cars because they were two grown adults with jobs they had to commute to.

It sounds like they had the two cars and then bought the convertible as a Sunday Sports car to have in addition to their two regular vehicles.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

Here it is.

Why does Frances Ryan's bi-line picture look like she's got stomach cramp and is somehow disappointed at the reader for it?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Hillsborough

No, I mean Heysel.

https://twitter.com/stebuzz07/status/720736154014871552

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pissflaps posted:

I hope so. The main aim is 'functional' for now so we've got a nice place for a paddling pool and a swing.

We're also having our hedge trimmed.

You are a murderer of nesting chicks.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

Sadly the place where you'll be able to get a job will be London.

Yeah this is the problem for a lot of people. If I leave my company, because of the field I'm in, I can either work in London, the A4/M4 corridor (so almost all of the expense and problems of London but without all the stuff) or Hull, which has... erm... a bridge? Maybe. Not sure.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

The purpose of insurance is specifically to avoid the requirement of perfect foresight.

Tesseraction posted:

It says they had two cars and bought a Sunday convertible.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

You are a murderer of nesting chicks.

No animals will be harmed during the upcoming garden works at my property.

I don't understand.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The only thing I know about Hull is that a friend from Yorkshire once said that "the Humber is the alimentary canal of Yorkshire, which makes Hull quite appropriately the anus."

Oh, and there's a song that ends in From Hull, and Hell, and Halifax, Good Lord, deliver me.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

Probably, although depending on the policy it may well not have covered the husband also having to give up work to be a carer. There are also varying definitions of critical illness and varying payouts, even with the best will in the world sometimes your circumstances won't be covered by the policy you end up taking out - and often not forever.

Plus, isn't the whole idea of having a welfare state to cover the costs of people who can't work due to long term health problems or caring for someone with the same? It's not like they are moaning about not being able to afford their third car now - they've already had to sell two houses and all of their cars and what the government provides won't cover basic bills. Even if they had got their mortgage paid off through insurance it wouldn't have helped if they can't afford council tax and utilities.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Those are all good points.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Gateshead is even cheaper, place I had up there was gorgeous, 10 minute walk to the center of Newcastle.

Lol it's cheap because Gateshead is a loving dump

E: not as bad as Sunderland though I thought people were kidding but then I visited and wow

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Pissflaps posted:

I don't understand.

People wrongly equate someone being in a wheelchair with total lower body paralysis, make pisstaking video about the match last night where some in the disabled section at Anfield jumped up to celebrate

TinTower fails to understand why today is the day a Man United fan would post #jft39.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If I were to go solely by the posts in these threads and how every town north of Dunstable is a shithole, you'd think the entire North is a barren wasteland devoid of life.

^^
My grandmother is in a wheelchair, because she only has one leg.

She can stand up quite easily, though. The DWP will be taking her Attendance's Allowance, probably.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ddraig posted:

If I were to go solely by the posts in these threads and how every town north of Dunstable is a shithole, you'd think the entire North is a barren wasteland devoid of life.
Every town north of Barnstaple is a shithole.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Every town north of Truro is a shithole.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

ThomasPaine posted:

Lol it's cheap because Gateshead is a loving dump

E: not as bad as Sunderland though I thought people were kidding but then I visited and wow

ill fight you

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Ddraig posted:

This thread is full of bigots, snobs and xenophobes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

This thread is full of bigots, snobs and xenophobes.

Just the way you like it?

• Locked thread