Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I'm joking dude. Calm thy tits.

I mean it was gonna be funny no matter what but I've seen and heard much worse and couldn't tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I mean it was gonna be funny no matter what but I've seen and heard much worse and couldn't tell.

I do often forget the kind of posts we see in this thread. No worries. I wish SA still had the sarcasm tags.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scyantific posted:

It's official, Deadpool 2 is coming. Now with 100% more Cable.

100% more? So he'll be mentioned twice during the mid-credits scene in DP2? :v:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Gyges posted:

So is T'Challa wearing vibranium lined shoes or something in that clip? When he does his kick and his parkour jump there's a metallic mechanical sound. Though his first kick sounds oddly like the sound of kicking one of those red dodge balls inside a gym.

I thought vibranium absorbed sound, though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You want to know where it comes from, casting all these pro wrestlers in movies. Every other wrestling move looks totally unnatural but the way they choreograph these fights always seems like someone is about to get powerbombed. Spectre had a prime scene for Craig to get put through a table and they just squandered it.

BVS did NOT disappoint with Batman's beautiful uranage while also making repurposing the crappy sparring Krav Maga of the Bale movies to look like a werewolf attack.

I'm the same about choke slams. They are the most basic and most awesome wrestling moves, where there is no doubt about anything that's going down. A guy grabs another guy by the throat, bodily lifts him up and then slams him into the ground. It's totally ridiculous for a number of reasons, like how does the slamee's head even stay attached, and wouldn't just crashing the guy's larynx be much easier if you already got him by the throat and are strong enough to lift him? But all of that doesn't matter, it's purely about visually expressing power and ferocity.

And yet there are so few examples of choke slams done right in movies.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Oasx posted:

Nobody in their right mind thinks that Black Widow was talking about being infertile when she called herself a monster.

no man they do and they always forget that it was bruce who brought up being infertile as being part of his monsterness first

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oasx posted:

Nobody in their right mind thinks that Black Widow was talking about being infertile when she called herself a monster.

I am completely aware of the intent of that line, but I am also aware that it was really poorly written and worded and, taken out of context, is hilariously misguided.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowman_McK posted:

Which is weird, because Rousey is the way better fighter in real life.

Absolutely. Carano would be hospitalized.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Sorry for asking this again, but I'm genuinely curious and a quick google search isn't helping.

Trailer edits are really common and a lot of the time they really don't look as good as the full scene does. So why do it? Tons of studios do and it makes no sense if the intent is to show a "clip." They confirmed that the 1 minute scene they showed at the MTV awards was edited from a 1:41 scene, which makes sense because they needed a one minute clip for the event. But if you are just releasing a clip online then why edit the clip down to be exactly 1 minute like this scene was? There's no reason an online only clip has to be exactly 1 minute or 30 seconds.

The internet is not short on space, you can just release the 1:41 second version without the weird cuts. Is there something I'm missing?

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Civil War is certain to be a worse film than BvS, because in this still frame an extra is loking the wrong direction or something.

Yoshifan823 posted:

I am completely aware of the intent of that line, but I am also aware that it was really poorly written and worded and, taken out of context, is hilariously misguided.

Yep that's my thought on those examples as well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sorry for asking this again, but I'm genuinely curious and a quick google search isn't helping.

Trailer edits are really common and a lot of the time they really don't look as good as the full scene does. So why do it? Tons of studios do and it makes no sense if the intent is to show a "clip." They confirmed that the 1 minute scene they showed at the MTV awards was edited from a 1:41 scene, which makes sense because they needed a one minute clip for the event. But if you are just releasing a clip online then why edit the clip down to be exactly 1 minute like this scene was? There's no reason an online only clip has to be exactly 1 minute or 30 seconds.

The internet is not short on space, you can just release the 1:41 second version without the weird cuts. Is there something I'm missing?

Cause it's easier for the intern to do, probably.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Cause it's easier for the intern to do, probably.

Nah, a bunch of it is a lot of back and forth between stakeholders who know nothing about editing, or maybe the director wasn't involved, so in the end the cuts approved look like crap, because that's what someone down the hierarchy wanted.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I want to see more people talk about "what they would do" in some more fight scenes.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I want to see more people talk about "what they would do" in some more fight scenes.

More Burning Hammers, clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuEoimAW604

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

I would throw my mighty shield in order to force people to yield.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Shageletic posted:

So a jar of piss figured prominently in the most high profile movie of 2016 so far I'm gathering? The gently caress?

gently caress yeah! It's edgy as gently caress bro!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oasx posted:

I mean, people have believed much dumber poo poo in these threads, but this one isn't even that much of a stretch. Banner is talking about how he can't have kids, then BW mentions her own infertility followed pretty much immediately by "you're not the only monster". At the very least it was a clunky way to get across what they were trying to say with that scene, and while there was definitely some overreaction it's not like the confusion was limited only to insane idiots.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

computer parts posted:

I still haven't heard a reason why the jar of urine is bad other than people assuming it's pure toilet humor.

I know, right? I think the jar of piss should get nominated for best supporting actor

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I know, right? I think the jar of piss should get nominated for best supporting actor

Case in point.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SA houses some of the best fighters around the world.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

computer parts posted:

Case in point.

I will die, on this hill of piss

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

In my senior year of college, I had to get a new roommate setup because most of my old ones had graduated. The one remaining roommate suggested we get a triple with another of his friends, and I agreed, having met the guy a few times and having no immediate problems with him. They were mostly pleasant guys, but they could be unbearable when I was trying to sleep. One night at something like 3 AM, I heard a bunch of sounds of clattering and crashing in the common room, so I marched out there, groggy and pissed off. Turns out these clowns had just blazed it and were having some impromptu wrestling matches

This felt especially assholish of them, given that the one who'd also been my roommate last year should have remembered the saga where the people living above us that year kept making it impossible for us to sleep by crashing around late at night and left us a note threatening to set us on fire when we tried to get them to stop. So anything that even resembled their behavior should've been on the top of his list to avoid, but whatever, nobody makes their best decisions when they're high

So I asked them as politely as I could to stop, pointed out that there were people below us, and so on. They agreed in principle, but demanded that if I wanted them to stop, I'd have to defeat both of them in wrestling matches. I was way too groggy to argue and knocking over some stoners didn't seem like the hardest thing in the world, so I agreed. First guy stepped up, I got a single leg takedown on him in about five seconds. Both of them lost their poo poo, next guy stepped up, I just kinda pushed him over in about three seconds

I was about ready to go back to bed, confident that I'd solved the problem, but they told me to hold up because they had one last request, just one more, they promised. They were both losing their poo poo at the next-level martial arts I'd just busted out on them, and wanted to know what the names of the martial arts moves I'd used were. I didn't have the heart to say "Dude I just pushed you over because you're high as a kite, that's not martial arts", so I told them the single leg was called a Serpent Rush and the shoving was called a Burning Palm. They lost their poo poo even more upon hearing that, but finally held up their end of the bargain and went to sleep

I guarantee you that, to this day, whenever one of them watches a fight scene, they think to themselves "Yeah, if I was in this fight, I'd just do a Serpent Rush"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

some people see a jar of piss labeled "Granny's Peach Tea" and think it's a toilet gag, I have no idea why

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lex is trying to debase and humiliate the senator and in the end all he can do is piss in a jar and blow her up. It's crude toilet humour used to illustrate a wider character point and it does the job fine

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

multijoe posted:

Lex is trying to debase and humiliate the senator and in the end all he can do is piss in a jar and blow her up. It's crude toilet humour used to illustrate a wider character point and it does the job fine

It's also a callback to something she herself said. If (with the appropriate setup) Lex had left a little statue with a flying pig, it would've been the exact same joke.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

multijoe posted:

He was taking her earlier tough talk and throwing it in her face you dolt.

quote:

Lex Luthor: Do you know the oldest lie in America, Senator? Can I call you June?
Senator Finch: You can call me whatever you like. Take a bucket of piss and call it Granny's Peach Tea; take a weapon of assassination and call it deterrence. You won't fool a fly or me. I'm not gonna drink it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

drink the piss, holly

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

"Diana, Superman's back!"
"What? How do you know?"
*Batman holds up jar of glowing green piss with a note that says "How do you like this batch of Granny's Peach Tea? - S."*

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In hindsight the jar of piss scene was really easy to understand, but viewing it for the first time I get why people didn't connect the dots; because BvS is painfully boring and therefore hard to follow.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I said come in! posted:

In hindsight the jar of piss scene was really easy to understand, but viewing it for the first time I get why people didn't connect the dots; because BvS is painfully boring and therefore hard to follow.

don't worry, the director's cut will reinstate Holly Hunter's line "my god, I think that's Lex Luthor's piss" before she explodes. it was cut for the PG-13 rating.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

He was taking her earlier tough talk and throwing it in her face you dolt.

Uh, yeah? I know and don't see how that conflicts with what I said at all. He spends the whole film trying to assert his dominance over everyone and bending them to his will, but she tells him to gently caress off and refuses to budge so in the end the best he can muster is a crude callback to something she'd said earlier and just flat out murdering her. It reveals what a spiteful, inadequate man he is beneath all his moral grandstanding about the nature of power and all that.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

"Diana, Superman's back!"
"What? How do you know?"
*Batman holds up jar of glowing green piss with a note that says "How do you like this batch of Granny's Peach Tea? - S."*

A good reference to the movie Late For Dinner, where two guys in the 1960s was cryogenically frozen and wakes up in the 1980s. One of the first things they noticed was their pee turned green from the cryogenic chemicals injected into them.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

computer parts posted:

Case in point.

Well for one, it kills the dramatic tension of the scene for some by the scene by taking them out of the film. I'm sure the intent was to make the viewer go "gasp! Some poo poo is about to go down!", but my reaction was more along the lines of "I paid $10 to stare at a jar of piss on the big screen, this is dumb." The subsequent explosion became more of a relief that the scene was over than whatever was intended.

Unless that was the intent all along, then Henry Cavill's "did someone just fart?" expression makes a lot of sense because he can probably smell every particle of poo poo, piss, and human remains that just got vaporized around him with his Super nose or whatever.

At worst it continues the vaunted Hollywood tradition of having strong female characters sexually humiliated for shock value, in this case immediately before said character is killed off to provide pathos to the male protagonist. While I'm sure that wasn't Snyder's intent (just like the Whedon thing) the scene absolutely can be read that way, which makes it a bad idea to include when they could have almost certainly come up with a million other ways to set up their clever callback without those connotations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Well for one, it kills the dramatic tension of the scene for some by the scene by taking them out of the film. I'm sure the intent was to make the viewer go "gasp! Some poo poo is about to go down!", but my reaction was more along the lines of "I paid $10 to stare at a jar of piss on the big screen, this is dumb." The subsequent explosion became more of a relief that the scene was over than whatever was intended.

You seem to have issues with bodily functions. I would see a therapist.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sexually humiliated? Only if Luthor was played by R. Kelly, I guess.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Unless that was the intent all along, then Henry Cavill's "did someone just fart?" expression makes a lot of sense because he can probably smell every particle of poo poo, piss, and human remains that just got vaporized around him with his Super nose or whatever.

*Superman zooms in on jar with his super vision*
"Wait a minute.... THAT'S NOT GRANNY'S PEACH TEA!"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

computer parts posted:

I still haven't heard a reason why the jar of urine is bad other than people assuming it's pure toilet humor.
Those people probably still wonder why Blade thinks some motherfuckers are actually always trying to ice skate uphill when that's clearly a dumb thing to try and obviously not going to work.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The Jolly Rancher thing was way more humiliating for the dude involved and was also a good Luthor moment.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Yes doctor, I don't seem to get super excited about seeing human excreta magnificently rendered on a 50 foot screen, please prescribe me medication to fix my broken brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Yes doctor, I don't seem to get super excited about seeing human excreta magnificently rendered on a 50 foot screen, please prescribe me medication to fix my broken brain.

You do seem oddly fixated on it though, maybe you do need some

• Locked thread