Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
oBS work pretty well. Thanks for reading my posts I couldn't do it without the lovers and the haters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

riot please put maokai back in the dumpster where he belongs, ty

You're not supposed to put that kind of thing in the dumpster. Where I live you just pile up all the tree branches and poo poo on your curb and the county comes and takes it away.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Kashuno posted:

I like how he pick/ban at high level and especially pro play and then riot buffed him

Maokai was at like 45% winrate before his much needed buffs, any pro teams that played him prior to several patches ago were rightly criticized for picking him.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I love bronze, it's fun and i love league

I love league!!!!!

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
When and why did they ruin Xerath. They made him generic as hell

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Firebert posted:

Maokai was at like 45% winrate before his much needed buffs, any pro teams that played him prior to several patches ago were rightly criticized for picking him.

if anything it's because everyone keeps picking full AD, multiple ADC comps and any good tank player will just immediately rush Icebourne Gauntlet -> Sunfire Cape and just trample over all the idiots building full damage and no resists.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Dunked my way to gold :toot:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

does aatrox actually lose to maokai 1v1 now with even items/levels or did i just do something horribly wrong?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Tales of Woe posted:

does aatrox actually lose to maokai 1v1 now with even items/levels or did i just do something horribly wrong?

Does Aatrox win anything these days

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Tales of Woe posted:

aatrox is weak as hell and has few good matchups toplane. tanks in general at the moment roll over auto attacking AD toplaners pretty hard with Icebourne Sunfire.

if you want to play an AD damagey toplaner Fiora, Pantheon, and Gangplank are much better options for beating up tanks early.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

Does Aatrox win anything these days

If all six bans were devourer junglers he makes pretty good use of that item. :shrug:

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

When and why did they ruin Xerath. They made him generic as hell

they reworked him over 2 years ago to push hotshotGG out of LCS permenantly

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

How Rude posted:

aatrox is weak as hell and has few good matchups toplane. tanks in general at the moment roll over auto attacking AD toplaners pretty hard with Icebourne Sunfire.

if you want to play an AD damagey toplaner Fiora, Pantheon, and Gangplank are much better options for beating up tanks early.

my irelia was banned in this particular game and aatrox is my next best carry top and has the best winrate vs maokai in champion.gg data so i thought it'd be a fine pick

but instead he just outdamaged my sustain with base damage alone. to be fair i did solo kill him before he finished sunfire but after that it was all over

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

aatrox is my next best carry top

hosed up if true

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
I really want to play the new sion skin forever and start every game like 3/0 but man, I can't win games consistently.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

exethan posted:

they reworked him over 2 years ago to push hotshotGG out of LCS permenantly

Reading the designer's thoughts on the game makes me think none of them know what the gently caress they are saying at any given time

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

my irelia was banned in this particular game and aatrox is my next best carry top and has the best winrate vs maokai in champion.gg data so i thought it'd be a fine pick

but instead he just outdamaged my sustain with base damage alone. to be fair i did solo kill him before he finished sunfire but after that it was all over
I think you have two decent options when you're playing a splitpusher into a hard matchup.

1. Try to force fights early and often to gain summoner TP advantage. Ward up the enemy jungle after pushing him to tower. Ideally you'll ping your jungler when he is topside to help you ward and support your invade. Invading doesn't have to be for kills, as information on the jungler's position is extremely valuable and can help your team force plays elsewhere on the map. After your invade, you should push the lane to tower again and look to gank midlane, back and lane gank botlane, and use your TP to come back to tower so he can't respond with a tower take. I think aatrox has better ganks than TPs.

2. Take ignite and look fight him repeatedly. You either look for a good all in at 2, or, slow push to build up the wave until the 1st or 2nd cannon minion wave gets there. Then you ignite him and force a trade that will make him base when 2 waves are near his tower including a cannon. Now he's going to be far behind in free scaling defensive stats and have a harder time assisting when the jungler ganks. Your XP and gold advantage gained from this should allow you to win the next fight when your ignite and ultimate are up, as long as its a 1v1 or 2v2. It's important to remember ignite in top lane can be used as a way to force them to miss XP early on in the lane rather than to ensure kills. IF you get a kill, that's great, but making them miss a couple waves can be just as impactful.

stump collector fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 15, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

blah_blah posted:

1) Runaan's is good now
2) Runaan's is the best zeal item on almost all champions that have 2 or more of the following 3 attributes: is primarily an autoattacker / has above average range / has a strong on-hit effect or steroid. This means Ashe, Kog'Maw, Jinx, Caitlyn, Tristana. Vayne would probably be there too if Runaan's wasn't deliberately hard-coded to not proc silver bolts on secondary targets.

It's nasty as hell on Kayle, too.

I've seen more than one Gnar build it. I was just like :cripes:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The Gnarricane is a Wickd special

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

KicksYouInHalf posted:

I really want to play the new sion skin forever and start every game like 3/0 but man, I can't win games consistently.

the best advice for sion is that the pure tank build that everybody wants you to play only works when your team is capable of taking advantage of all the cc you provide. in solo queue you're better off with a hybrid build, when im jungling i usually go warrior enchantment before building any defensive items, when im in the top lane (i dont actually top lane, but if i did) i go straight for titanic hydra or sterak's gage

sterak's gage is particularly good on sion because it scales off of base stats and sion's base stats are obscenely huge. you also always have enough health to trigger the activation without being too low to make use of it

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tales of Woe posted:

Here is my taken on the issue as a bad bronze.

I've also noticed that pattern of tanks killing you after getting sunfire even if you were killing them earlier. I've seen this happen across numerous match ups, and it seems that the only way to deal with it is to get a hp + armor/mr yourself and run grasp. Otherwise my best results were achieved by going bot getting kills and trading my top tower for bot tower to break the laning phase. Once the laning phase starts to collapse, the opposing squishes are more likely to be on other places on the map that are closer to you. This makes it easier to kill them again, take objectives, and snowball all while avoiding direct confrontation with the tank. I think S6 rewards macro play more than the last couple seasons at all skill levels, and strong macro play is essential if you want to play a carry laner because you simply need quite a bit more gold to do your job than a tank.

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Pretty much the same thing. Sion is strong early and late, much like carry laners. After your opponent finishes their first major item, it's a lot harder to kill them because your base damage is nowhere nearly as impactful. Abandon your outer tower and trade it for some other tower and hopefully kills.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Fiora isn't banned anymore and she's pretty much universally fine against tanks. She's a slight underdog against Ekko, Poppy (pre-nerf more than now) and Malphite but goes even or better against every other tank. It's definitely worth learning to play Fiora right now, despite the nerfs.

E: Don't pick Fiora into Pantheon or Tryndamere though, it loving sucks. Yasuo can also be bad, if you get one of those weird Yasuo whisperers.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Reading the designer's thoughts on the game makes me think none of them know what the gently caress they are saying at any given time

im pretty sure the post they made for xerath's rework said he's problematic because he can 100% you from a screen away

he didn't change much and he's even more boring now

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

DolphinCop posted:

the best advice for sion is that the pure tank build that everybody wants you to play only works when your team is capable of taking advantage of all the cc you provide. in solo queue you're better off with a hybrid build, when im jungling i usually go warrior enchantment before building any defensive items, when im in the top lane (i dont actually top lane, but if i did) i go straight for titanic hydra or sterak's gage

sterak's gage is particularly good on sion because it scales off of base stats and sion's base stats are obscenely huge. you also always have enough health to trigger the activation without being too low to make use of it

Cinderhulk is still a better jungle item on him purely thanks to his W passive. The amount of bonus HP will really help your shield generation a lot.

Cleaver for the cdr/arpen and titanic hydra are all you need damage wise. Then just stack health items so you can abuse your 5 second 500 damage shield in teamfights with your 40% cdr

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

exethan posted:

im pretty sure the post they made for xerath's rework said he's problematic because he can 100% you from a screen away

he didn't change much and he's even more boring now

Yah but I read it like "players got owned and cried so we changed him"

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Did anyone actually ever hate Xerath that much? I certainly don't remember that.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I miss old xerath

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

yea that's how it sounded to me too

boo hoo i got poo poo on by a guy with a ton of farm and no mobility whatsoever during the assassin meta

:'(

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Safety Scissors posted:

Here is my taken on the issue as a bad bronze.

I've also noticed that pattern of tanks killing you after getting sunfire even if you were killing them earlier.

people used to build botrk on the majority of top lane carries in tank matchups so the sunfire problem wasn't a problem because sunfire deals 0 damage when they're dead. triforce sucks, rageblade only works if you have mixed damage and can't help someone like irelia that just gets more attack speed for flat pure damage. basically just pick kayle.

The Mash posted:

E: Don't pick Fiora

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Tales of Woe posted:

You can still get and maintain an early lead with ignite but it's greedy and tanks will quickly be able to last long enough to not trade deaths with you during a gank. The idea is to keep up the splitting pressure once Maokai starts trying to force fights on the rest of the map since he can't ever actually kill you 1v1 unless you really mess up. The invisible thing that champion.gg doesn't tell you about is if your team can't deal with this without wiping, then picking Aatrox is pretty risky. The various tricks carry tops pull off to get ahead vs tanks like early roaming and deep warding are good to do but they won't fundamentally change the way the game is going to play out, since Aatrox is probably not going to be a deciding factor in 5v5s even if you're entering the midgame with a substantial personal lead.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Yeah thanks for the ideas. It's just counterintuitive when sustained damage + sustain champs aren't naturally beating tanks in lane since it seems like that should be the 'counter'

i'm annoyed that they reverted that grasp of the undying nerf on pbe, they've changed all the other ones to be less powerful in the laning phase but not that one and it's really heavily dictating what's being played in top lane now

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

They went after the tank's overall teamfight damage instead of touching up their laning. The issue with getting outscaled by tanks was always somewhat of an issue (the lack of botrk being viable is the serious thing that changed) but the buffs to sustained AP mages coming up should force tanks to think before mindlessly buying 4 armor items and a token cowl. I don't think this is going to really help the carries top from getting outscaled, but I've already been playing a lot of vlad and kayle to deal with tanks and its been pretty successful.

If AP champs top make a comeback though, things like Irelia also suddenly become a lot better so I think Riot is smart to hold off on any big changes to grasp until after the next patch.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Give Ap champs some of that sweet % damage riot

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
4 years ago Tanky Bruisers were op... how has this not been solved

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Bruisers were out of the meta for quite awhile. It's only because of grasp and the nerfs to Fiora and GP that bruiser toplaners are good again, and even now it's a very different set of champions than it was. Ekko, Maokai, and Graves don't really have that much in common with Irelia and Renekton.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

the tanky power fantasy has the strength to sustain through all meta changes, it's part of the fantasy

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
I think its because fundamentally League is such a meat mash / let numbers decide game, that play elements like kiting are non existent

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Any suggestions for fighters that don't have a standard combo? I play Amumu some but going Q-E-R gets boring even when you're winning. I like Graves because his abilities let you engage/fight with more than one sequence of buttons.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

ThePeavstenator posted:

Any suggestions for fighters that don't have a standard combo? I play Amumu some but going Q-E-R gets boring even when you're winning. I like Graves because his abilities let you engage/fight with more than one sequence of buttons.

You can play fizz and become cancer incarnate. His basic combo is land R then mash your face on the keyboard, but his skill cap is pretty well decided by knowing when to Q instead of E, or when to hold your fish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I think its because fundamentally League is such a meat mash / let numbers decide game, that play elements like kiting are non existent

This is demonstrably untrue.

• Locked thread