Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
I'm almost exactly the same but with a 980Ti.

What I'm doing, and esp if you are clearing a back log its a good idea I think, is holding onto the 980Ti for a year or two more. My thinking is Nvidia will have their proper DX12/Pascal cards out and we can see how they are, or even the gen after next (e.g. Pascal 2) which should be further improved. At that point as well there will be more DX12 games and performance will be better anyway so it would be a more substantial upgrade.

With a 970 I wouldn't see the need to jump up for at least another 12 months min unless you decide to go max specs 4k on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

dbcooper posted:

Reading this thread recently has me wondering about the coming generation of GPUs, DX12's cleaner/austere framework design and sunk costs.

I purchased my new desktop/gaming machine in May 2015, including a GTX 970.

Due to a combination of laziness, age and being slammed at work I haven't spent any time gaming on it.

If my Steam backlog (and probable future purchases) mostly consists of "older" games1 would I find any benefit from a newer, more-capable DX12 GPU or would my 970 serve me better as I understand it performs better in DX11 and prior?

1 Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2/Inquisition, Witcher 2 and 3, new XCOM, RPGs from a few years ago, etc.

If you are not running them on a 4k monitor, or getting a VR device, I should think the 970 will serve you for quite some time.

Disclaimer: I am still running on 275 GTX SLI.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

dbcooper posted:

Reading this thread recently has me wondering about the coming generation of GPUs, DX12's cleaner/austere framework design and sunk costs.

I purchased my new desktop/gaming machine in May 2015, including a GTX 970.

Due to a combination of laziness, age and being slammed at work I haven't spent any time gaming on it.

If my Steam backlog (and probable future purchases) mostly consists of "older" games1 would I find any benefit from a newer, more-capable DX12 GPU or would my 970 serve me better as I understand it performs better in DX11 and prior?

1 Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2/Inquisition, Witcher 2 and 3, new XCOM, RPGs from a few years ago, etc.

It's likely they'll perform better in DX 11 as well. The 970 performs a bit better in the earlier DX 11 games than a GCN style architecture that the next gen stuff seems to be moving towards if the 390 is any indication, but that change isn't the only thing happening, and the cards should be getting a big boost from factors other than architecture, so they should be faster in DX11 and faster by a bigger margin in DX12. If you aren't using the 970 you might be able to get free performance or get some money by selling it a bit before compute, and picking up a new card, that might be a bet worth considering.

Still, for a backlog, if the performance is fine now the performance will remain the same.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 15, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

release new cards

AMD bet too much on the 20nm planar horse. I think when Intel warned them about 20nm planar they had a Knights and Knaves moment and forged ahead anyway. In a separate universe, AMD instead went with GloFo's high density 28nm for the 300 series and managed higher IPC and lower power with everything moving to GCN1.3, and instead we'd be talking more about why the 980 is a really dumb purchase and how good a deal the 390X is for the price point for DX11.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

xthetenth posted:

And I'm a giant 290 fan

FaustianQ posted:

This explains why yours functions so well.

Yeah I'm laughin' pretty hard at that one

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

teh_Broseph posted:

Yeah I'm laughin' pretty hard at that one

Same. 290s need that airflow.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

dbcooper posted:

Old games would need some re-working to take advantage of DX12 so that will offer no advantage if that is all you play. The coming GPU's however will offer lots more performance for DX11 and prior games too though.

Your current GPU should however be plenty to run all those games at 1440p or less with a decent (30-60) frame rate. If you want to game at 120Hz+ some of the newer games you seem interested in could benefit from one of the new GPU's though. Really depends on how much money you can spend, how much gaming matters to you, etc. If I were you I'd probably hold onto your current GPU and skip upgrading for now. Maybe Vega 10 or whatever nV calls their consumer oriented HBM2 using GPU would be a more worthwhile upgrade for you.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
What do people think of those features such as hairworks, Physx etc Nvidia keep under lockdown?

Personally I would prefer them to be uniform so people just pick the better performing card but does it come into your decision making when looking, e.g. if you were comparing Pascal to Polaris or whatever?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
IIRC I heard PhysX isn't necessary but could be wrong, I thought someone here mentioned at one time that it was only for older games or something. I never saw any appreciable difference with or without it installed and could still enable in new/old games via their menus, but maybe it's something older DX9/10 games still need? :shrug:

Hairworks I've heard mixed reviews on but haven't messed with it myself, only thing I heard about is some performance issues when it's enabled unless that's been fixed with newer drivers.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Blackfyre posted:

What do people think of those features such as hairworks, Physx etc Nvidia keep under lockdown?

Personally I would prefer them to be uniform so people just pick the better performing card but does it come into your decision making when looking, e.g. if you were comparing Pascal to Polaris or whatever?

Does for me, simple poo poo like shadowplay for the one moment I wanted to save or now with VR, demonstrating things like that, Shadowplay makes it so easy and seamless.

Nvidia has their monopoly because ATI/AMD hosed up so well for so long that nvidia naturally sold more and more. It isn't competitive if your competitor doesn't compete and having AMD around with people buying their products just because is bad. Hopefully that will turn around now as maybe it might with DX12 but AMD just existing as not nvidia isn't good enough.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Blackfyre posted:

I used to think physx was a total waste of time and looked like garbage, but for the first time ever I've seen it implemented in a pleasing seamless way (Killing Floor 2). Bodes well for things to come, but because it is dependent on brand its never necessary or a critical part of the game. I wouldn't be upset without it. I'd probably say none of those things would trump better dollar/performance for me. I do use Shadowplay quite a bit and the alternatives aren't nearly as integrated and easy to use, that'd be kind of tough to lose if I jumped back to AMD.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
AMD clowning on NVIDIA in another DX12 game, 290x within 3% of the 980 Ti

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2470097

*horns.aiff*

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 15, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Its interesting the success the 970 has had even though it is a fake 4GB card (Buddy continues to gripe about that 3.5G limit and the second you go over it with RES/AA the card just gives up still) and yet the card continued to thrive as a big seller. The 980 just sort of got in the middle of the road between tie 970 and 980Ti and really hasn't had much press about anything, even though for some of the sale deals it actually isn't a bad buy to avoid both the 3.5G bug and the $200 price jump to a Ti.

What baffles me, is how Nvidia did some actual R&D and made the stock cooler on the 690/700/900 series freaking amazing for a stock cooler, but AMD just can't seem to be bothered to put the same R&D into their cooler to avoid any issues with their hotter chips. They finally did something for their stock CPU coolers, but their GPU's could benefit from a cool vapor chamber blower setup that also makes going SLI without water a much easier thing. I loved the stock 780 coolers in both how they looked, how quiet they are, and how well they worked. Keeping things at 70C while OC'ed to 1200Mhz on those 780's was a thing of beauty and those cards really did perform well.

Relying on Aftermarket coolers is great and all, but for SLI, if you don't go water, trying to get effective cooling with two cards sandwiched in there with the downward facing fans that vent into the case is a royal pain in the rear end. Hah reminds me of the Zotac AMP 480's I put in a friends comp. Now those were hot running chips and even with the dual fan setup, I had to remove the metal shroud to get them to fit together. That top card was always >10C hotter than the bottom one with the clear area below it.

For comparison, my SLI'ed 780's were only about a 5C difference since they blew most of the heat out the back, and also had more space between them.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I used to think physx was a total waste of time and looked like garbage, but for the first time ever I've seen it implemented in a pleasing seamless way (Killing Floor 2). Bodes well for things to come, but because it is dependent on brand its never necessary or a critical part of the game. I wouldn't be upset without it. I'd probably say none of those things would trump better dollar/performance for me. I do use Shadowplay quite a bit and the alternatives aren't nearly as integrated and easy to use, that'd be kind of tough to lose if I jumped back to AMD.

One thing that seems to be changing, is Nvidia is moving Physx off of the GPU to be more CPU based finally so that all future games can use it independent of GPU. How this will work with old games will depend how well they can get it to offload, but at least it does look that Nvidia is sort of playing ball here. I think they are trying to stop getting called out for their Gameworks stuff causing horrible performance for AMD users, when it was just AMD having crappy launch title drivers. (and crappy game launches overall. I love watching AAA game launches from afar and wait until they are like $20 and all patched up. maybe)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

^That's a point, CPU PhysX is actually a good thing because then it can be for things other than tacked on effects without hosing some customers, which isn't exactly popular.

Blackfyre posted:

NV's proprietary stuff performs like dogshit or is just a few extra effects, so who cares, it'd be the first thing I turn off anyway. Hairworks is a pro for AMD because you can force its tesselation factor lower with their drivers. Shadowplay is a cool and good feature that is a bit better than the equivalents, but eyefinity that works with my setup and freesync support are a bigger deal to me.

And to be honest, the best few buying opportunities in recent memory especially in the long term have been AMD cards (7970/7950 are still performing at a ~$170 level and the 290 right at launch was a great buy for the time if you could get one before the buttcoiners bought them all and slap a real cooler onto it (bonus points if you made money off of them). The 290 when it was dropping to near $230 for aftermarket cooled versions was a total steal.) Problem is they sold at good prices for a reason. AMD has not done a good job of creating the perception of value even when they have actual value, and NV hasn't needed value to create the perception, and when they had value too it got nuts. But if you go back and compare the 290X to the 780 non-Ti that it launched against at a lower price, it's a huge gap. And the 680 outperformed the stock clock 7970 when it came out, but now the 7970's in front.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 15, 2016

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

*horns.aiff*

I thought KI was a DX11 game? GameGPU seems to be literally the only site saying it's DX12.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Paul MaudDib posted:

*horns.aiff*

oh god :( but thats not the card I like

repiv posted:

I thought KI was a DX11 game? GameGPU seems to be literally the only site saying it's DX12.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support

Im pretty sure that game is supposed to be a DX12 showcase of sorts but I dont know where I got that from. Although I dont doubt it cause what else would cause a 290x to match a 980ti (besides broken support or something, but this isn't some small studio or anything)

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 15, 2016

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

*horns.aiff*

I think the last time I had these kinds of feelings about buying AMD was when I upgraded to an Athlon XP. :gizz:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

In fairness except for some nerds who think Ashes is cool, the DX 12 games so far are either not interesting or not really completed implementations of DX12.

On the other hand Total Warhammer and a consistent pattern.

Kazinsal posted:

I think the last time I had these kinds of feelings about buying AMD was when I upgraded to an Athlon XP. :gizz:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm starting to worry that buying a S2716DG instead of FreeSync may have been a bad call :sweatdrop:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, is it possible that AMDs in the same tier curb stomp Nvidia cards in DX12 this generation?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
We won't know anything until we know how pascal performs with async compute thingy in many games. i.e. maxwell does one in a game or two, but completely shits the bed in others.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Pascal looks a lot more suited for DX12, and hopefully it supports async compute. Worst case NV has to price according to their performance and you get a reasonable deal if you look. Hopefully Pascal supports it so the lowest common denominator supports all the cool stuff sooner rather than later.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

kepler does outperform maxwell in some cases in DX12, so pascal *should* be better at this point

either way there'll be a huge wrench in the prospective GP102, so much for the all-gaming pascal :gary:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

kepler does outperform maxwell in some cases in DX12, so pascal *should* be better at this point

either way there'll be a huge wrench in the prospective GP102, so much for the all-gaming pascal :gary:

I've been wondering how this will play out. Kepler is still a fundamentally compute-oriented architecture, and a 780 Ti is literally the same as a Tesla K40 (minus ECC and DP). There are complaints that NVIDIA hasn't been optimizing new games for Kepler very much but DX12 will neutralize that factor. I would laugh like crazy if my 780 Ti started catching up with the 980 or 980 Ti in DX12.

I'm still planning on selling one of my 780 Tis, but I think I will skip the 980 Ti firesales. Without active driver support its DX11 advantage will erode fast.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 15, 2016

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
It's so funny that AMDs long gamble with GCN might finally pay off after all, just in time for both sides to announce completely new architectures :unsmith:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

It's so funny that AMDs long gamble with GCN might finally pay off after all, just in time for both sides to announce completely new architectures :unsmith:

Best guess is that GCN 4 is going to be a big shift but still fundamentally GCN, just with redesigned and more efficient elements such as power gating for individual CUs and potentially an upclock ability for when not all the hardware is utilized.

Meanwhile one of the shifts in Pascal is going to 64 cuda cores in a group just like GCN.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

also actually having a hardware scheduler

and Better(tm) preemption than Kepler, whatever that entails for VR designers.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if I should make an SFF R7 470 Crossfire system for shits and giggles

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Well as soon as we get DX12 games I guess it's time to switch to AMD again :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Im pretty sure that game is supposed to be a DX12 showcase of sorts but I dont know where I got that from.

Well it doesn't load d3d12.dll:

Hawaii kicking so much rear end in a DX11 game only raises more questions though :psyduck:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

Well it doesn't load d3d12.dll:

Hawaii kicking so much rear end in a DX11 game only raises more questions though :psyduck:
other culprits: using console-optimized code, and considering the hardware in consoles, well

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Pictured above: Why Pascal looks a lot like a green GCN.

Yikes. The Division was bad enough.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As a 290 owner who was convinced to switch to a 970, my only consolation in the face of the 290 possibly being better at DX12 games is that I mostly play undemanding games like Diablo 3, if I play at all.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I almost bought a 970 but then life happened

also a ref 290 showed up for 220

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I almost bought a 970 but then life happened

also a ref 290 showed up for 220

Did you put a CLC on it or something else?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

Did you put a CLC on it or something else?
no i just turned hairdryer mode on

worth every penny

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

no i just turned hairdryer mode on

worth every penny

Ahh, the nontraditional upgrade path of good headphones.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

Pictured above: Why Pascal looks a lot like a green GCN.

Yikes. The Division was bad enough.

Wait is there something up with the division? I only ask cause thats a game I actually play and looks really awesome

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Wait is there something up with the division? I only ask cause thats a game I actually play and looks really awesome

It's less bad than I remembered because I looked at factory v. factory results, tbh. Still, it's one of the rarer ones where the 390 beats the 970 even in aftermarket OC version versus aftermarket OC version at 1080 and the 390X is reasonably close to the 980 factory OC.

http://www.computerbase.de/2016-03/the-division-benchmark/2/

It's not a huge deal overall, and it runs well on all cards considering it's really good looking, it's just one showing that AMD's gaining some ground in even recent DX11 games.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
The problem with dx12 and Vulcan is that it'll take2-3 years to become dominant so buying a 980ti isn't a bad decision

Max 1440p on dark souls 3 at 60fps owns