Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Jurgan posted:

Mainly to shut up Holocaust deniers and Neo-Nazis. But that's a perfect illustration of why free speech should be protected even for people we disagree with. Slippery slopes do sometimes happen. Also, it's nice to have America still be best at something.

There is an argument to be made that speech shouldn't be protected if it's promoting an ideology incompatible with a free country. However that is a different thing from insulting foreign leaders and I believe is entirely separate legally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

xthetenth posted:

There is an argument to be made that speech shouldn't be protected if it's promoting an ideology incompatible with a free country. However that is a different thing from insulting foreign leaders and I believe is entirely separate legally.

Yeah, the law in question is the §103 StGB, which states:

quote:

(1) Whosoever insults a foreign head of state, or, with respect to his position, a member of a foreign government who is in Germany in his official capacity, or a head of a foreign diplomatic mission who is accredited in the Federal territory shall be liable to imprisonment not exceeding three years or a fine, in case of a slanderous insult to imprisonment from three months to five years.

(2) If the offence was committed publicly, in a meeting or through the dissemination of written materials (section 11(3)) Section 200 shall apply. An application for publication of the conviction may also be filed by the prosecution service.

Essentially the motivation behind it it seems to boil down to "don't gently caress up our diplomatic relations".

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

prefect posted:

Turkey sought the prosecution after President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was mocked.

They're so sensitive to any criticism. When Erdogan was in DC a few weeks ago, there were protests outside the Brookings Institute where he was meeting with Biden. Erdogan's bodyguards started attacking the protesters and then some journalists when they started filming. The DC Metro police had to physically intervene against the bodyguards and it's lucky that things didn't escalate beyond shoving.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

2 The Illinois Democratic party is still bad. Thanks Eric
8 For a moment I was creeped out by Trump's demonic eyes but I guess those are eyebrows

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

prefect posted:

The free speech in America is not something that's normal in the rest of the world.

Hell, they're not allowed to talk about Elton John's threesomes in England and Wales.

Which is great, because some of our worse papers have been complaining quite heavily about this. Three days of front pages demanding justice, complaining "And we STILL aren't allowed to know about this celebrity's threesome!"

As long as I don't go to prison for reading this post, I honestly couldn't care less.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

:drat: that rear end

work it Bernie

quote:

8 For a moment I was creeped out by Trump's demonic eyes but I guess those are eyebrows

I wonder if it's intentional that the rollercoaster is now going to land directly on the elephant's head

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

loquacius posted:

I wonder if it's intentional that the rollercoaster is now going to land directly on the elephant's head

I think it's intentional. It's not just "the GOP is messing with Trump", but also "Trump is going to hurt them for this".

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's picky but his Dr Seuss character looks off because he didn't pay attention to the signature eye detail.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Radish posted:

It's picky but his Dr Seuss character looks off because he didn't pay attention to the signature eye detail.

The rhyming and wordplay is spot on, though. "Inanimate lump" :allears:

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

America is insane, and the Economy will only function if we get a direct hit, I.e. full implementation, of either Bernie or Hillary's tax plans. An excellent point Benson.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The economy is a dunk tank that fucks over America no matter what we do, AGC?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

2 The Illinois Democratic party is still bad. Thanks Eric

Eric Allie should be set on fire, AGC.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

3 ANY. DAY. NOW.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Was Carson in the news recently? I haven't seen much from him since he dropped out, maybe Asmussen is just ripping on him for old time's sake.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
hosed up they're standing behind her with papers labeled "EMAILS"

What emails? Whose emails?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I actually like this one, it's a pretty good metaphor that's simple to understand.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
I feel like I should repost this parody I did last year:

This was when there were a bunch of "Iran has nukes" cartoons coming out. It was the "Any Day Now" thing at the time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Was Carson in the news recently? I haven't seen much from him since he dropped out, maybe Asmussen is just ripping on him for old time's sake.

He's been doing some surrogate work for the Trump campaign.

13 times Ben Carson was the worst surrogate ever

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Mister Beeg posted:

I feel like I should repost this parody I did last year:

This was when there were a bunch of "Iran has nukes" cartoons coming out. It was the "Any Day Now" thing at the time.

So you're saying we're going to have another 30-40 years of 'Any Day Now' cartoons about Clinton's emails?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

That is the cutest gay Anglo-Saxon warrior I have ever seen, I would take him on a date no question. :kimchi: Probably to a football or hockey game, I think he'd probably be able to appreciate the atmosphere of manly, aggressive simulated combat. Or maybe MMA. And then ice cream, cuz nothing will convince you that the future is amazing like ice cream in sixty-four flavors.

An absolutely perfect cartoon, nice job Adam4d.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

"I will not run at the convention
I won't accept the nomination"

Was that so loving hard?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I can confirm that pyramids don't wear pants.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Adam4D is usually dumb enough to like partially or completely refute what he's arguing in the very same comic and it's great

like dude just stop writing/drawing and you've got yourself some solid opinion-wankin' propaganda for some christian weirdo to post on Facebook

whoops WHOOPS WHOOPS you took your argument to its logical conclusion and now you look even dumber

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Stupid sexy Sanders...

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Saint Sputnik posted:

Was that so loving hard?

That's not any better.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jurgan posted:

Mainly to shut up Holocaust deniers and Neo-Nazis. But that's a perfect illustration of why free speech should be protected even for people we disagree with. Slippery slopes do sometimes happen. Also, it's nice to have America still be best at something.

Nah

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So you're saying we're going to have another 30-40 years of 'Any Day Now' cartoons about Clinton's emails?

You KNOW that when she dies decades from now, whichever hate wraiths are still clutching pens at the time will draw her being buried in printed-out eMails. Either that, or given a state funeral while three graves labelled BEN GHA ZI say something pithy nearby.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm glad we live in a society that discourages violent murder and encourage people to explore their sexuality in a way that makes them feel comfortable.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Brawnfire posted:

You KNOW that when she dies decades from now, whichever hate wraiths are still clutching pens at the time will draw her being buried in printed-out eMails. Either that, or given a state funeral while three graves labelled BEN GHA ZI say something pithy nearby.

Cartoon will show her being buried, next door headstone says "VINCE FOSTER" the one next to that says "CATTLE FUTURES".

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Brawnfire posted:

Scene: Graveyard

Ostentatious tombstone, solid gold plating, giant plinth, the works: HILLIARY CLINTON

Ten adjacent tombstones: E-MAILS, AND, EVIDENCE, BURIED, BY, THE, FBI, AND, OTHER, CRONIES

In the background, in an area labeled "TOMBS OF UNKNOWN SOLDIERS:" CHRIS STEVENS, GLENN DOHERTY, SEAN SMITH, TYRONE WOODS

Action: In the background, an excavator is digging up the unknown graves while a truck carrying more e-mail servers prepared to take advantage of the upcoming space.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

RyokoTK posted:

That's not any better.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Stinky_Pete posted:

Wait, so, when did he interview the warrior about his homosexual feelings?

:nws:Relevant Cartoon about the viking's honor:nws:

Literally, if the viking warrior who has slaughtered countless people wants some man hole action. He's gonna get him self some man hole action. From willing participants or otherwise.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It's kind of a stretch to say that "convention" and "nomination" rhyme though because the "-tion" suffix is not a stressed syllable in either case

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Saint Sputnik posted:

I'm pretty sure finding two things that don't rhyme isn't very difficult?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Yeah but convention/nomination sounds worse. It's bad either way.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Saint Sputnik posted:

Even better:

"At the convention, I will not run
I will not accept nomination"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Is this like the goon face blindness thing, where some of you just don't understand how rhyming works?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I don't know what accent makes that not be one hell of a slant rhyme

"I won't accept Repub' selection" fits meter tho

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I will not run at the convention
In POTUS talks I want no mention

or even better "My loving name you'd best not mention"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Come on rob don't bring up Benghazi you are better than that

Also pretty funny comment exchange

quote:

:) :you (some other commenter) tell us welfare reform was a success, yet conservative after conservative whine and screech about generations of poor (black) people in inner city neighborhoods leeching off the government dole (you always ignore the rural poor because even though they are just as big of leeches, they vote Republican and therefore get the hypocritical free pass to welfare).

So how is it that welfare reform was a success? I know ... Squirrel! I mean, Benghazi!
:freep: : Do you even get outside the city limits let alone get into the "sticks"? Ya know, where there is no electricity, running water and no cell phone coverage? I've been there Ed. Funny, that most of those rural poor actually live off the land by farming, hunting and fishing. I can see a city slicker such as yourself living in fear camping under the stars.

BTW, why is everything about race? Maybe if you got out of the urban jungle, you would find out that there are rural black folk. Four people died in Benghazi and you joke about it. Sick.

• Locked thread