Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Harrow posted:

Wearing pyromancy-boosting rings like the Great Swamp Ring makes a huge difference, and they stack. Just one ring has so far been enough to keep Fire Orb useful through several areas.

Oh that's a good idea. I found a ring that boosts fire damage in the Settlement. I think there was a drawback to using it though, I'll have to check when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Stormgale posted:

he 100% isnt there at the start, the moment I opened the main doors and reloaded he was there

I have never seen Siegward or Patches in the cathedral so maybe I'll try that reloading thing.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
So, while Cathedral of the Deep is the best designed level by far, man Irithyll is the best level. The boss and lore are both astounding.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

ok, go to the Farron Keep bonfire and go the other way

cheers bud

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

turtlecrunch posted:

pffff ain't nobody got time for that

you say that, but at this point I don't think a Souls game even really starts until NG++ now

Fume Knight and Orphan of Kos on NG++ are both incredible experiences.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So, while Cathedral of the Deep is the best designed level by far, man Irithyll is the best level. The boss and lore are both astounding.

My entire time through CotD I kept thinking "this is basically that VHS trailer". It's rad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wildtortilla posted:

Oh that's a good idea. I found a ring that boosts fire damage in the Settlement. I think there was a drawback to using it though, I'll have to check when I get home.

It lowers your defense. There's also a ring which boosts pyromancies with no drawback.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah I just cleared through Irithyll and :golfclap:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Balobam posted:

cheers bud

you are about to play the best designed level in the game so enjoy!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I just cleared through Irithyll and :golfclap:

I wasn't sure what I was expecting Aldrich of the Deep to look like, but I certainly wasn't expecting THAT

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

you say that, but at this point I don't think a Souls game even really starts until NG++ now

Fume Knight and Orphan of Kos on NG++ are both incredible experiences.

I think the only game I ever played NG+ on was Dark Souls 2, where I went to NG+3, I think because I was trying to level so I could wear a bunch of different weapons AND cool armor at once. Then I played all the DLC for the first time on NG+3, that sure was a thing. All the other ones I'm lucky if I get to 75% on any playthrough (besides the first) without deciding I want to try a different build. I don't think I've ever actually fought the Moon Presence in Bloodborne because I kept starting challenge runs and couldn't get past Gherman on them, and on my first playthrough of course I didn't know poo poo and got the wheelchair ending. :v:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

I have never seen Siegward or Patches in the cathedral so maybe I'll try that reloading thing.

The gap is between opening that main door and killing the boss, I only hit it because I decided to spend some souls

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

It lowers your defense. There's also a ring which boosts pyromancies with no drawbacks.

I think the no drawback ring is what the pyromancer starts with, correct? I have to track that down in game now!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

I think the only game I ever played NG+ on was Dark Souls 2, where I went to NG+3, I think because I was trying to level so I could wear a bunch of different weapons AND cool armor at once. Then I played all the DLC for the first time on NG+3, that sure was a thing. All the other ones I'm lucky if I get to 75% on any playthrough (besides the first) without deciding I want to try a different build. I don't think I've ever actually fought the Moon Presence in Bloodborne because I kept starting challenge runs and couldn't get past Gherman on them, and on my first playthrough of course I didn't know poo poo and got the wheelchair ending. :v:

See, the thing I like about NG++ is that it nullifies "builds"

By that point you have hit every soft and hardcap and have every item, so your single character can easily switch playstyles on a whim.

It allows you to redesign your guy every bossfight to best adapt to the unique challenges he presents. It owns.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Harrow posted:

He never showed up in the well for me. I've been to the second bonfire in the Cathedral and even further and unlocked the later shortcut and he still isn't there. As far as I know I haven't missed any of his quest triggers--we killed the demon together--do I don't know what else I could be missing.

Did I have to do it right when I entered the area and I missed my chance or something?

Supposedly he only shows up after you unlock the last shortcut to the Rosaria's fingers area, topside of where that second giant in the sludge is.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm still on my first playthrough and I have 160 shards, 117 large shards and 25 chunks.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Did you access the Firelink rafters early by jumping off the tree? I wonder if that breaks the quest scripting with Patches and therefore also prevents Siegward's quest from progressing.

(If not then that blows up my hypothesis, but who knows)

I did access it pretty early, but I did so by grinding enough souls for the key :shrug:

Mr E posted:

I never saw the patches at all or sieg past the first time you see him when I played the Japanese version. May be a glitch or something with doing the swamp before the other path or something.

I totally did the swamp before the Cathedral though, so this might be it?

Zaphod42 posted:

Holy loving poo poo, Pontiff Sulyvahnn, what a loving amazing boss.

Yessss :getin: It's so good. It immediately went straight to the top of my "best Souls bosses ever" list with Artorias and Fume Knight.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

See, the thing I like about NG++ is that it nullifies "builds"

By that point you have hit every soft and hardcap and have every item, so your single character can easily switch playstyles on a whim.

It allows you to redesign your guy every bossfight to best adapt to the unique challenges he presents. It owns.

I guess. I always pick one weapon or style and use that for the entire playthrough though. I'm not satisfied unless I beat every boss with that particular style, and then I consider the playthrough complete and there is no reason to go NG+.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Supposedly he only shows up after you unlock the last shortcut to the Rosaria's fingers area, topside of where that second giant in the sludge is.

I'll check back after that, then. I hope that's the case!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Your Computer posted:

I did access it pretty early, but I did so by grinding enough souls for the key :shrug:

Where is Patches? I need to find him so I can kill him. I haven't seen Seigward beyond the epic coop battle you have with him early on

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

I guess. I always pick one weapon or style and use that for the entire playthrough though. I'm not satisfied unless I beat every boss with that particular style, and then I consider the playthrough complete and there is no reason to go NG+.

I can dig that. My favorite BB playthrough though was the time I managed to get my character to wield Ludwig's Sword and the Blades of Mercy with relatively the same DPS and got to switch easily between the fastest and slowest attack style based on enemy.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I'm really enjoying this as my first Souls game (though im playing bloodborne also). Its familiar but has a lot of good differences from BB.

For DS veterans, whats your early opinion on it? Better/worse than 1 and 2?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Wiseblood posted:

Holy poo poo, why is the mimic in the catacombs so god drat tough? I had an easier time killing the fire demon in the same room.

That mimic ended up beating that boss for me. It was super helpful.

Also, like 90% of the chests I've found so far have been mimics. WTF

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

you are about to play the best designed level in the game so enjoy!

found her! killed her.

i actually found her arena before, but i never triggered her, i thought it was a boss arena and i was low on estus so i wandered off, then i promptly forgot, oops

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

Where is Patches? I need to find him so I can kill him. I haven't seen Seigward beyond the epic coop battle you have with him early on

He shows up as part of Siegward's storyline AFAIK so you need to progress further to meet him. If you're like me and never got it to progress then... he's nowhere? :iiam:

turtlecrunch posted:

I'm in the same boat. Part of the reason I played DS2 for so many hundred hours was because it had a lot of really fun weapons and armor, so I'd basically make myself a costume consisting of armor+weapon and then complete the game using that. Almost gimmick run-y but since most weapons were viable it wasn't that hard. Had no reason to go on to NG+ though, so I ended up only doing that like 3 times while the rest of my dozens of runs are all NG.

With all the great weapons and armor in this game I'm looking forward to doing the same :D

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I'm really enjoying this as my first Souls game (though im playing bloodborne also). Its familiar but has a lot of good differences from BB.

Playing this game without playing DSI must be a really weird experience in terms of lore and references.

DS2 had better PvP and character builds. This game kind of makes DS2 honestly seem like a spin-off. DSIII basically feels like a direct sequel to DSI that ignores most of what was done or changed in DS2. Sometimes that is for the better, sometimes it is for the worst.

Right now it is tied with DS1 with me. I need to see how the final plot pans out first.

If I had to rank

1. BB
2. DS1/3
3. DS 2
4. DeS

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I really like Pontiff but i was a bit disappointed in how easy the second phase was. If he just stayed in phase 1 the whole time and made me kill him through all his insane combos i would have probably enjoyed it more.

I was really really disappointed in how much of a push over Dancer was. From an aesthetic standpoint she's head and shoulders above everything else but i killed her first attempt by just mashing R1 on her rear end. I'm actually upset that she didn't do anything to punish me.

Champion Iundyr on the other hand was great. His moveset was a great upgrade, and he was really good at covering his weak spots. I killed him second try but only barely and i felt it was earned compared to the Dancer which didn't even put up a fight.

By the way, does anyone else feel like they are too generous with the estus? It feels like they intended for you to use a half to a third of your flasks on mana but i haven't felt a need to use mana as a knight so i can just heal through a lot of mistakes. I think if i had a few less flasks and they didn't heal my entire health bar in one go the bosses would be a lot more interesting.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I have lots of great memories of Dark Souls 1. Like spending an entire weekend struggling through the early zones and being lost, desperately searching for a Bon fire with a depleted estus flask. I loved exploring the world and finding shortcuts.

Dark Souls 2 was fun but nothing was memorable.

Dark Souls 3 has consumed nearly ten hours of my time in the first two zones. Lots of nooks and crannies to explore. The enemies are proving to be a challenge in the ways they were in DS1 (2 relied on big numbers for challenge). The early variety in weapons rules. The few boss fights have been solid. Assuming the game continues on this trend it will easily be my favorite souls game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I'm one of the three people on these forums who love DS2, but so far it this game is just amazing. This game feels like a more polished, faster paced and gorgeous looking DS1 with a bit of Bloodborne and Demon's Souls while DS2 went in it's own direction. There are still things I prefer about DS2 over this game (most notably how stupid rolling looks in this game and DS1/DeS) but overall this game is just knocking it out of the park.

Lore-wise (a big part for me) I'm not sold yet, but DS1 didn't really get good until way into the game (Anor Londo) in that respect and I'm only like halfway into DS3.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Better. It captures DS1's atmosphere and world design, combines it with (most) of 2's gameplay refinements, then slaps on a very pretty coat of paint, top notch sound design, way more responsive and aggressive enemies and ramps up the difficulty to boot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Possibly the best of the series. It really caps things off well, more complex fighting mechanics than 1 or 2, but with level design that is on par or better than the best of 1 and 2 and DeS. Incorporates some of the ideas and graphics from BB as well. Its really the souls all-star game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJ posted:

By the way, does anyone else feel like they are too generous with the estus? It feels like they intended for you to use a half to a third of your flasks on mana but i haven't felt a need to use mana as a knight so i can just heal through a lot of mistakes. I think if i had a few less flasks and they didn't heal my entire health bar in one go the bosses would be a lot more interesting.

I think it would be hell without it :v: A lot of enemies deal a good 1/3 of your health in a single hit in this game. Even with 20 vigor there are plenty of enemies who can kill me in just a couple of hits. Unlike in DS1/2 where you'd take chip damage throughout a level and then heal up at strategic points, I feel like you need to heal every time you take damage or the next attack will outright kill you.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How good is this game? I haven't jerked off all week

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I know the kataner is played out but I am loving the uchigatana 2handed so I can do the stance thing. I've always been pretty good at parrying and I love dex characters so this poo poo was basically made for me. What refinement should I put on it? I was thinking sharp, but I'm not building dex terribly high. Should I put bleeding on it?

Also I kicked Shrek out of his swamp in pvp last night, this is my swamp now bitch.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mel Mudkiper posted:

DSIII basically feels like a direct sequel to DSI that ignores most of what was done or changed in DS2. Sometimes that is for the better, sometimes it is for the worst.

I really don't get why people say this. There are plenty of references to DS II, its just that most of the really blatant ones thrown right in your face are from Dark Souls 1.

Plus it seems like the entire plot of the game was setup by SOTFS. I assume the Unkindled are a direct result of the work of Aldia and the PC from Dark Souls 2, as they are undead that exist outside the rules established in the previous games. And if you want to get meta about it, it was said on release that SOTFS's new ending was canon so it was probably written with DS3 in mind.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Its mostly better than both. The PvP mechanics regressing in some ways is really disappointing though.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

You can remove infusions rather easily with a shriving stone (or the like). They drop from the birdmans of Road of Sacrifice.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I wish I had a PS4 to play Bloodborne...

I'll say, for me I think Dark Souls 1 slightly edges out 3 just because it was my first game, and it was such a good feeling overcoming obstacles.

Also, so far none of the games has a fight that feels quite as awesome as the fight against Artorius.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJ posted:

Agreed. I got to like +3 and I was like "wow these flasks heal a lot" and now I'm already at +4, and I've got 10 flasks with 2 as mana right now.

If you stack all estus (why wouldn't you for the most part) you have a ton of healing. The only reason to take lots of mana is if you have high faith, you can heal yourself with spells and use mana instead and be even more efficient, overall having effectively like 15 estus worth of healing, although you can't use those mid-combat as easily, so you can mix the two. Either way, feels a little too generous.

The early game with just a few flasks was pretty rough, but then I feel like an hour later I had 10 flasks already.

The whole "phantoms get half flasks, rounded down" kinda sucks too. I'd rather players only have like 5-6 flasks total but phantoms get all their flasks.

On the other hand, I really love how killing phantoms refills a flask or two! That's a really great feature.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do the invasions mechanics consider flasks at all? As in, can some twink invade in the first zone and even with half estus have more than the host?

I wish there was some place I could read about all the new invasion mechanics in general.

Zaphod42 posted:

On the other hand, I really love how killing phantoms refills a flask or two! That's a really great feature.

Flasks refilling from enemy kills is a really good idea in general. It encourages you to keep exploring without running back to the bonfire.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I really don't get why people say this. There are plenty of references to DS II, its just that most of the really blatant ones thrown right in your face are from Dark Souls 1.

I mean gameplay mechanics not references. Dual wielding, ADP stat, lifegems, build complexity from DSII are all gone. DS3 seems to be building on the mechanics of DS1 more than DS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

I know the kataner is played out but I am loving the uchigatana 2handed so I can do the stance thing. I've always been pretty good at parrying and I love dex characters so this poo poo was basically made for me. What refinement should I put on it? I was thinking sharp, but I'm not building dex terribly high. Should I put bleeding on it?

Also I kicked Shrek out of his swamp in pvp last night, this is my swamp now bitch.

Uchi rules.

If you're not building for anything don't necessarily infuse it. You've gotta think about it. If your stats are *just* high enough to meet the uchi's requirements, then raw will be by far the best option. If you want bleed or poison do that, but those are kinda gimicky. They can be nice in pvp for putting pressure on players, but they do *nothing* if you don't do enough poison-damage to cause poison-status, and people can always use purple moss. And poison/bleed is pretty worthless in pve because you usually kill things before you build up to status.

I would say either do regular vanilla +10 uchi if your stats are kinda average, do a raw/fire/deep infusion if your stats are just barely enough to wield it, and do a sharp infusion if your dex is like 25+. Also if you build strength you can still use the uchi as long as you have enough dex and you can make it crushing, although it won't be as min/maxy as sharp. And there's quality too.