Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
gently caress YOU hyperactive frost dog knight thing. Now you're dead and I have your sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean gameplay mechanics not references. Dual wielding, ADP stat, lifegems, build complexity from DSII are all gone. DS3 seems to be building on the mechanics of DS1 more than DS2.

Ah, my bad. I'd agree with that. Seems like most of the stuff they experimented with in DS 2 got dropped, mostly for the better but there's always gonna be a powerstanced hole in my heart.

And I really really really hate that they didn't keep all rolls under fat roll incremental. Its so annoying keeping my weight under 30%.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 15, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

DSIII basically feels like a direct sequel to DSI that ignores most of what was done or changed in DS2.

Internet Kraken posted:

I really don't get why people say this. There are plenty of references to DS II, its just that most of the really blatant ones thrown right in your face are from Dark Souls 1.

Plus it seems like the entire plot of the game was setup by SOTFS. I assume the Unkindled are a direct result of the work of Aldia and the PC from Dark Souls 2, as they are undead that exist outside the rules established in the previous games. And if you want to get meta about it, it was said on release that SOTFS's new ending was canon so it was probably written with DS3 in mind.

Yeah this is straight wrong, there's several direct references to DS2.

Course I keep seeing people post that DS2 never referenced DS1 which is flat loving wrong, so people just don't pay attention which hello, this is dark souls, poo poo is cryptic and mysterious, how have you not picked up on that already? You have to read item descriptions and stuff, it doesn't come out and say "REMEMBER DARK SOULS 2?"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

I really don't get why people say this. There are plenty of references to DS II, its just that most of the really blatant ones thrown right in your face are from Dark Souls 1.

Plus it seems like the entire plot of the game was setup by SOTFS.

I'm assuming he meant mechanics, which would be true. Having played both DS1 and DS2 a bunch in the last two weeks I can safely say that DS3 feels mechanically like a more updated DS1. It's hard to put it into words, but DS2 feels a lot "heavier" than both DS1 and 3 where everything from your walk/run to your roll and swings just has a lot more gravity to it. It's one of the things I really like about DS2, but since DS3 is so incredibly fast paced it's probably for the better that it's more similar to DS1.

I still hate that god drat DS1 "liftoff" roll they reused when they have a great animation from DS2 they could have reused instead though :qq:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just killed Eygon assuming it was another Lautrec situation and I swear to go I bet From Software made it look like just that to troll you.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I'm putting points into Dex to make it the highest and then just dumping levels into Stam/HP/Attunement when I feel like I need more, so I think eventually I'll get over 25. Does infusing reset my improvement quality?

I'm not even hardcore pvping or building to it, I'm just doing invasions to blow off steam. My dude is gimmicky as hell because that's what is fun to me lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Plus it seems like the entire plot of the game was setup by SOTFS. I assume the Unkindled are a direct result of the work of Aldia and the PC from Dark Souls 2, as they are undead that exist outside the rules established in the previous games. And if you want to get meta about it, it was said on release that SOTFS's new ending was canon so it was probably written with DS3 in mind.

I think your second sentence is exactly what people mean: the Dark Souls references are extremely blatant and absolutely everywhere. There are plenty of Dark Souls II references, too, but they're not as integral to everything you do.

If I had to guess, regarding SOTFS, it's less the Unkindled that were setup by Aldia and more the Lords leaving their thrones. Then again, that could very well be Kaathe, too, or the two of them working towards the same purpose. Darkstalker Kaathe does get name-dropped by one NPC in Dark Souls III.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Your Computer posted:

I'm assuming he meant mechanics, which would be true. Having played both DS1 and DS2 a bunch in the last two weeks I can safely say that DS3 feels mechanically like a more updated DS1. It's hard to put it into words, but DS2 feels a lot "heavier" than both DS1 and 3 where everything from your walk/run to your roll and swings just has a lot more gravity to it. It's one of the things I really like about DS2, but since DS3 is so incredibly fast paced it's probably for the better that it's more similar to DS1.

I still hate that god drat DS1 "liftoff" roll they reused when they have a great animation from DS2 they could have reused instead though :qq:

Okay mechanically is fair, although I would say that DS3 actually feels closest to BB in terms of combat. Its a little slower and you don't have regain, but its still closest to BB rather than DS1 or DS2, like you said they felt heavier.

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah I'm putting points into Dex to make it the highest and then just dumping levels into Stam/HP/Attunement when I feel like I need more, so I think eventually I'll get over 25. Does infusing reset my improvement quality?

I'm not even hardcore pvping or building to it, I'm just doing invasions to blow off steam. My dude is gimmicky as hell because that's what is fun to me lol

Infusing does not reset improvement, so feel free to go nuts with upgrades in the meantime :)

Good for you, use what weapons are fun and do what you think is cool. Picking the infusion that matches your build makes sense, but weapons should be picked based on moveset.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Infusing does not reset improvement, so feel free to go nuts with upgrades in the meantime :)

Infusion is wonderfully user-friendly this time around. I just wish that I could have infusion gems back when I switch, like blood gems in Bloodborne. Ah, well, can't have everything :v:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/361787186423319868/

Update 1.03.1 - 4/18 at 2am PST/11am CEST
The 1.03.1 update for Dark Souls III will be deployed on STREAM on April 18th at 11am CEST/2am PST It won’t require any maintenance downtime:

The update will include the following changes:

・ Performance adjustment for “Greatsword”
・ Battle performance adjustment for “Dancer’s Enchanted Sword”, “Winged Knight Twinaxes”
・ Performance adjustment for “Soul’s Greatsword”, and “Farron Flashsword”
・ Fix for issue where multiple items become impossible to use at “Road of Sacrifices”, “Farron Keep”, “Cathedral of the Deep” after clearing the game.
・ General balance adjustments and bug fixes

[Also for consoles.]

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Zaphod42 posted:

Uchi rules.

If you're not building for anything don't necessarily infuse it. You've gotta think about it. If your stats are *just* high enough to meet the uchi's requirements, then raw will be by far the best option. If you want bleed or poison do that, but those are kinda gimicky. They can be nice in pvp for putting pressure on players, but they do *nothing* if you don't do enough poison-damage to cause poison-status, and people can always use purple moss. And poison/bleed is pretty worthless in pve because you usually kill things before you build up to status.

I would say either do regular vanilla +10 uchi if your stats are kinda average, do a raw/fire/deep infusion if your stats are just barely enough to wield it, and do a sharp infusion if your dex is like 25+. Also if you build strength you can still use the uchi as long as you have enough dex and you can make it crushing, although it won't be as min/maxy as sharp. And there's quality too.

The weapons that have natural bleed on them (bandit's knife, reinforced club, uchi, spiked mace, scythe, sword of thorns, ect) are really good for luck builds because they are rather versatile. In a lot of cases if you are building for high luck 33-35 bleed/poison is largely good enough to do what you want it to do, so you don't have to infuse bleed and can instead go raw/fire/dark (if you have no str/dex) Sharp/heavy (if you do) or hollow later on when you get the coal (because it scales to your luck). If you were feeling saucy you can infuse bleed on the already bleed-y weapons and have a hellishly potent bleeder weapon.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Carl Seitan posted:

That mimic ended up beating that boss for me. It was super helpful.

Also, like 90% of the chests I've found so far have been mimics. WTF

Not-Lloyd's Talismans are your friend. I just ran out too since you can only carry 5 at a time.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wasn't sure what I was expecting Aldrich of the Deep to look like, but I certainly wasn't expecting THAT

I was expecting a giant purple slime from Secret of Mana, only :black101: as gently caress. What I got was underwhelming by comparison somehow.

Running around today I accidentally found the FUGS, that was unexpected. More importantly I finally found how to get deeper in the Dungeon. I was stalled and backtracking most of the past day because I didn't see a tiny pathway tucked away neatly in plain sight.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Gotta clear the game fast with my Straight Sword before they're nerfed :ohdear:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Seriously though, how the hell did Miyazaki and From manage to make two games as complex and expansive as BB and DS3 within a year of each other. Even if they were working on both simultaneously these games feel like they spent 2-3 years in exclusive development each

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
"General balance adjustments and bug fixes"

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Seriously though, how the hell did Miyazaki and From manage to make two games as complex and expansive as BB and DS3 within a year of each other. Even if they were working on both simultaneously these games feel like they spent 2-3 years in exclusive development each

Well from the bombcast/beastcast (don't remember which) Dark Souls 3 was definitely far enough along to be shown to press behind closed doors before bloodborne came out.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I guess I know when I'm starting my second pure casting attempt though.

Unless they're nerfing soulswords DOWN which I guess wouldn't shock me, and I'll probably do it anyway because I need my sparkly fix.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Gotta clear the game fast with my Straight Sword before they're nerfed :ohdear:

"General balance adjustments and bug fixes" scares me if only because I hope they don't nerf the Longsword :ohdear: I just dumped my first Large Titanite Shards into it and would be quite put-out if it becomes less useful.

Then again, if they were adjusting specific weapons right now I think they'd call them out by name (like they did in these notes). I hope, at least.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I have an Uchi, I have the base stats to use it, I like it.

Would putting bleed on it make its bleed effect potent enough to be PvE viable, or should I go with Quality (i want my stats to be good enough to wield a variety of weapons)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Harrow posted:

"General balance adjustments and bug fixes" scares me if only because I hope they don't nerf the Longsword :ohdear: I just dumped my first Large Titanite Shards into it and would be quite put-out if it becomes less useful.

"sir, the newest patch maladjusted your stat alignment"

*immediately goes hollow*

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm really liking the rapier per usual in my dex playthru after doing strength on the Japanese version. Any dex weapons I should keep an eye out for? I have the straight sword but don't like it very much, and never like katanas.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Annath posted:

I have an Uchi, I have the base stats to use it, I like it.

Would putting bleed on it make its bleed effect potent enough to be PvE viable, or should I go with Quality (i want my stats to be good enough to wield a variety of weapons)

Put raw on it until you have the stats to make a quality infusion worthwhile.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I've died more to the 3 pontiff knights at the start of irithyll than I have to all the bosses in the game so far :suicide:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Maybe the patch will make it so Greatswords do more damage than Straight Swords.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

turtlecrunch posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/361787186423319868/

Update 1.03.1 - 4/18 at 2am PST/11am CEST
The 1.03.1 update for Dark Souls III will be deployed on STREAM on April 18th at 11am CEST/2am PST It won’t require any maintenance downtime:

The update will include the following changes:

・ Performance adjustment for “Greatsword”
・ Battle performance adjustment for “Dancer’s Enchanted Sword”, “Winged Knight Twinaxes”
・ Performance adjustment for “Soul’s Greatsword”, and “Farron Flashsword”
・ Fix for issue where multiple items become impossible to use at “Road of Sacrifices”, “Farron Keep”, “Cathedral of the Deep” after clearing the game.
・ General balance adjustments and bug fixes

[Also for consoles.]

Oh poo poo, will the claymore finally be better than the longsword?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BB got delayed a bit from the early Project Beast announcements didn't it? They've likely been rolling up DS3 for a long time in parallel with the end of BB's development.

Something something B-Team :cheeky:

turtlecrunch posted:

"General balance adjustments and bug fixes"

Yeah I hate that Japanese devs seem to do this all the time. US devs seem more likely to give you an exhaustive list of the actual bugs fixed.

Lets hope the bug that changes lighting back from 'low' to 'medium' gets fixed for our friends who are running steam-powered computers :smith:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I think the biggest problem i have with the game is too many estus and you can chain stagger pretty much every enemy in the game. In DS1 you had 5 flasks for a lot of the time so messing up and wasting them was a big deal. Also, apart form the basic undead enemies if you just ran up and spammed attacks they would recover and hit you back after a couple of swings so you had to be careful. This game once you land a hit they just get chain staggered and you win.

Other problems i have is that i hate that you have to be embered to get invasions. DS2's system was perfect. It's stupid that you miss NPC invasions and their loot because you went through an area without an ember active. Also i haven't found a weapon that is better than my starter longsword which is kind of disappointing.

I think the big thing people are going to complain about once the honeymoon is over is how linear the early game is. It doesn't really affect me because i'm not into making a million different characters but for people who liked doing that it must be very annoying to have the weapon you want be half way through the game with no way to sequence break and get to it like in DS1 and 2. I assume there is a sequence break to a late game area near the start, but like why couldn't they have had you cross that giant bridge and then added a secret key to let you get down to the swamp early?

Also, i really don't like how little direction there is. Dark Souls has never been particularly great at this but in DS1 you were told to go up and down to ring the bells, then to go to Anor Londo then to go and get the lord souls. DS2 had the herald giving you direction. This game i'm just following the path the game gives me with pretty much no context. It would have been nice for someone to say "Hey, Alrich got locked in the Cathedral of the Deep because he's a maniac who kept eating gods" "Oh, he's not here, he hosed off to Irithyll. Go get him." Instead i learnt this several hours later after i'd already beaten him.

That's not to say the game is bad. Those are just the things keeping it a 9 instead of a 10.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pwnstar posted:

Maybe the patch will make it so Greatswords do more damage than Straight Swords.

As someone who loves Straight Swords it pains me to say this.... but if they make Greatswords do proportionately more damage than Straight Swords then they'll probably be too strong (aka. 1-shotting everything since Straight Swords already 2-3 shot stuff). Nerfing Straight Swords might be only way :negative:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It is impossible to find the host if you use the red eye orb in CotD, drat. Place is huge.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Something something B-Team :cheeky:

The B-team thing always got me so mad. DS2 was awesome but because it took a different direction people started acting like it was somehow a failure by amateurs and not a different interpretation of the mechanics.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah, I feel like a ton of the later enemies are massively punishing if they start a combo on you, even if you dodge several attacks they can catch you with the end of it and wreck your HP.

But if you just sprint into them before they see you coming and unload with chain-stagger, you can kill them without them doing anything.

This means the optimal way to play through the later tough zones is to sprint forward, poke poke poke until one thing dies, and then retreat until you can do it again on another enemy.

But that's pretty lame.

Alternatively you can summon a phantom, divide the enemies so you aren't so overwhelmed, and fight them proper, but the whole rush beatdown chain-stagger strategy works SO WELL on so many enemies that are otherwise extremely, extremely dangerous that its kinda awkward.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The B-team thing always got me so mad. DS2 was awesome but because it took a different direction people started acting like it was somehow a failure by amateurs and not a different interpretation of the mechanics.

Agreed 100%.

Plus its just generally ignorant, people switch dev teams all the time. I went through the DS2 and BB credits and picked out about half the names which appear on both titles just to show people that "B-team" is horseshit.

If DS2 had flaws the major reason was the two lead designers didn't seem to agree and one left halfway through and the other took over and changed things to more his vision, but after spending a ton of time and money not everything can be changed. That kinda conflict has a bigger impact than "b-team".

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 15, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CJ posted:

I think the biggest problem i have with the game is too many estus and you can chain stagger pretty much every enemy in the game. In DS1 you had 5 flasks for a lot of the time so messing up and wasting them was a big deal. Also, apart form the basic undead enemies if you just ran up and spammed attacks they would recover and hit you back after a couple of swings so you had to be careful. This game once you land a hit they just get chain staggered and you win.

Other problems i have is that i hate that you have to be embered to get invasions. DS2's system was perfect. It's stupid that you miss NPC invasions and their loot because you went through an area without an ember active. Also i haven't found a weapon that is better than my starter longsword which is kind of disappointing.

I think the big thing people are going to complain about once the honeymoon is over is how linear the early game is. It doesn't really affect me because i'm not into making a million different characters but for people who liked doing that it must be very annoying to have the weapon you want be half way through the game with no way to sequence break and get to it like in DS1 and 2. I assume there is a sequence break to a late game area near the start, but like why couldn't they have had you cross that giant bridge and then added a secret key to let you get down to the swamp early?

Also, i really don't like how little direction there is. Dark Souls has never been particularly great at this but in DS1 you were told to go up and down to ring the bells, then to go to Anor Londo then to go and get the lord souls. DS2 had the herald giving you direction. This game i'm just following the path the game gives me with pretty much no context. It would have been nice for someone to say "Hey, Alrich got locked in the Cathedral of the Deep because he's a maniac who kept eating gods" "Oh, he's not here, he hosed off to Irithyll. Go get him." Instead i learnt this several hours later after i'd already beaten him.

That's not to say the game is bad. Those are just the things keeping it a 9 instead of a 10.

You should talk to npcs

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The gameplay did feel like what would happen if a group of amateur modders got their hands on Dark Souls, but I attributed that to the fact that they apparently had a lot of problems in development more than because it was developed by a team of interns and janitors.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

It is impossible to find the host if you use the red eye orb in CotD, drat. Place is huge.

Same with the road of sacrifice, the whole loving zone is open without any fog walls to partition it. That's cool but good luck finding the loving host.

Where is the spell that tracks players? I hope its in the game somewhere at the end. The game auto-casts a tracking spell on invaders, but not on the host, so as an invader you're often running around for 10 minutes wondering where the gently caress the host is.

One time I got invaded in CotD but we never saw the invader, then finally as we were going to the boss door we look up and see him in the rafters running around looking for us, he took one look at us down below and just black soapstoned out, because running down would take so long we'd be at the boss already anyhow.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, the B-team thing is bullshit.

That said, I just don't really like how DS2 feels compared to the others. Maybe it's down to the animations, I'm not sure. I went back and replayed DS1 and about half of DS2 before DS3's release and it really highlighted how much I prefer how DS1 feels to play. (I also think I was unfairly harsh on DS2's level design, but maybe that's just because No Man's Wharf was more complex than I gave it credit for.)

I prefer Bloodborne to both, but still :v:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

The gameplay did feel like what would happen if a group of amateur modders got their hands on Dark Souls,

It didn't really though. It was more diverse and complex than DS1 by miles. Where DS2 failed wasn't in mechanics but in level and boss design.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CJ posted:

There are characters who literally say both of these things

I forget who told me the first one, but CotD was a whole thing of me going there to find the guy only to discover he was at his summer home from both item descriptions and talking to Anri.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mr E posted:

I'm really liking the rapier per usual in my dex playthru after doing strength on the Japanese version. Any dex weapons I should keep an eye out for? I have the straight sword but don't like it very much, and never like katanas.

Twinswords are pretty loving cool. You can buff one and then pull out the other and they're both buffed, and then press L2 to do spinny attacks.

I keep thinking there's gotta be some build using Carthus Beacon combined with the left and right pontiff eye rings and then getting a ton of tiny hits in to build up your healing and bonus damage, but I tried testing it with both twinswords and the demon fist, the fastest hitting weapons I have, and it didn't seem to do dick.

Anybody tried using Carthus Beacon?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I finally managed to beat Vordt (with the help of summons!) and oddly enough the Undead settlement feels like an easier time compared to the previous one. Maybe I'll be shot down horribly soon. (although the big basket- wielding guys are tough, how can they just keep on pounding with it)

Where should I be going from here? Looks like there's lots of different routes to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

lets hang out posted:

You should talk to npcs

Yea. I learned about Aldrich from the sad knight in Firelink before I was done with the Undead Settlement.

Talk to everyone all the time. They're ready to tell you things!