Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Harrow posted:

That said, I just don't really like how DS2 feels compared to the others. Maybe it's down to the animations, I'm not sure. I went back and replayed DS1 and about half of DS2 before DS3's release and it really highlighted how much I prefer how DS1 feels to play. (I also think I was unfairly harsh on DS2's level design, but maybe that's just because No Man's Wharf was more complex than I gave it credit for.)

I think DSII did a lot to make the mechanics allows for more builds. In DS1 a dex build would lose to a tank with a greatsword in PvP 90% of the time. There were very clear "winning" builds. DSII was way better balanced. A fast guy with no armor could easily beat a guy in Hamel's gear if he was simply better, and that was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, the B-team thing is bullshit.

That said, I just don't really like how DS2 feels compared to the others. Maybe it's down to the animations, I'm not sure. I went back and replayed DS1 and about half of DS2 before DS3's release and it really highlighted how much I prefer how DS1 feels to play. (I also think I was unfairly harsh on DS2's level design, but maybe that's just because No Man's Wharf was more complex than I gave it credit for.)

I prefer Bloodborne to both, but still :v:

I personally love DS1's level design but I find going back to DS1 style combat is pretty unfulfilling compared to DS2/BB. DS2's level design doesn't do it for me nearly as much as DeS or DS1, but the combat is so, so much better.

Luckily DS3 has both even better combat than DS2 and better level design to boot. I'm definitely going to be playing a lot of this one :)

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It didn't really though. It was more diverse and complex than DS1 by miles. Where DS2 failed wasn't in mechanics but in level and boss design.

Yeah this.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Mimics totally wreck my poo poo in this. gently caress Mimics.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

lets hang out posted:

You should talk to npcs

Which NPC tells you that? I talked to Crestfallen every time i went back to Firelink, but apart from an exposition dump about Abyss Watchers after i'd beaten them he didn't say anything apart from how we aren't fit to lick the lords' boots.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CJ posted:

Which NPC tells you that? I talked to Crestfallen every time i went back to Firelink, but apart from an exposition dump about Abyss Watchers after i'd beaten them he didn't say anything apart from how we aren't fit to lick the lords' boots.

Anri shows up in firelink after the cathedral to tell you where aldrich has gone

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Frankston posted:

Mimics totally wreck my poo poo in this. gently caress Mimics.

I kind of like that they're a challenge now, to be honest. Previous games you just whacked every chest, and if it started to get up you whacked it a few more times and it died before it had even finished its standing animation. Actually having to dodge a few attacks and fight back is a nice change.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

If anyone on PC is still having stuttering every few seconds, specifically on 970 card, try disabling Steam Overlay. I did this by just removing GameOverlayRenderer64.dll and GameOverlayRenderer.dll from the base Steam folder.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FutonForensic posted:

If anyone on PC is still having stuttering every few seconds, specifically on 970 card, try disabling Steam Overlay. I did this by just removing GameOverlayRenderer64.dll and GameOverlayRenderer.dll from the base Steam folder.

Thank you.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

so for some dumb reason my game decided to set all my internet options by default to just off

i thought there were surprisingly little bloodstains or messages

all the little things i might've missed out on :(

also, 2 things, first does anyone find themselves inadvertently kicking enemies WAY more than they did in the previous games?

second, is it just me or is the lock-on considerably worse? feels like it randomly just stops locking on now and then

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Abyss Watchers is one of my favorite boss fights in the entire series and I died about fifteen times on them last night before ragequitting myself to sleep. Feels like the same sort of difficulty wall I always hit when I play DS1 again and run into O&S.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Combat feels like loving rear end in this game.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

^^you're wrong

Okay you fuddruckers I still dont know how you open that big door in Sulyvahns room.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Balobam posted:

also, 2 things, first does anyone find themselves inadvertently kicking enemies WAY more than they did in the previous games?

second, is it just me or is the lock-on considerably worse? feels like it randomly just stops locking on now and then

I feel like I kick way less than DS1. Lock-on is definitely "worse" though. It'll immediate stop if the enemy gets out of range/behind you (which a lot of enemies do with certain attacks) and it's also on a timer when you lose line of sight, so unless you get sight of the enemy quick it'll drop.

FutonForensic posted:

Is this related to the stutter when autosaving? I'm not sure I can live without Steam Overlay since I take about 50 screenshots every play session :ohdear:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Yeah, but check this out: the feel of loving rear end is incredibly good, much like the combat.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Wildtortilla posted:

Yea. I learned about Aldrich from the sad knight in Firelink before I was done with the Undead Settlement.

Talk to everyone all the time. They're ready to tell you things!

I really think my game was bugged then, because he didn't say anything different until some time after i had beaten Abyss Watchers. I checked literally every time i went to level up because he seemed pointless if he didn't give you some direction in where to go like in DS1.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The one time I legit fight a guy in cathedral it lags out. :argh:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Balobam posted:

If this means kicking things only when I don't want to kick them and pathetically bonking my sword off a shield then getting spanked when I do want to kick then yes.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Balobam posted:

I can't get kick to work consistently anymore. I don't know if they changed it in this one or 2; it was easy for me to kick things in Dark Souls 1, but I haven't played 2 in forever so I can't remember what it was like there.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJ posted:

I really think my game was bugged then, because he didn't say anything different until some time after i had beaten Abyss Watchers. I checked literally every time i went to level up because he seemed pointless if he didn't give you some direction in where to go like in DS1.

I had a bug with him where he'd always start his conversation with the "Gaining admission to the Legion.. blah blah" stuff, both long before and long after I killed them. Then I figured I'd humor him and let him speak, and lo and behold his dialogue suddenly progressed further. I wonder how much stuff I missed from him because of that :saddowns:

e: and I had heard his entire Legion speech before that point, so it wasn't him just waiting for me to hear it before saying something new or anything.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

If this means kicking things only when I don't want to kick them and pathetically bonking my sword off a shield then getting spanked when I do want to kick then yes.

i've killed myself several times by either kicking an enemy i've just kicked only for the stagger to not set in since they were still staggering and get promptly murdered cuz of either low health or terrifying enemy

OR i've just kicked a boss with my over enthusiasm to deliver the killing blow to have them then blow me up

Control Volume posted:

Yeah, but check this out: the feel of loving rear end is incredibly good, much like the combat.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Since i was given no exposition on Abyss Walkers before fighting them, when i saw them i thought it was 1 guy who was so hosed up from dark corruption that he was locked in eternal combat with alternate realities of himself. That was way loving cooler than what it turned out to be. They should use that as a boss concept for a future game.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Your Computer posted:

I had a bug with him where he'd always start his conversation with the "Gaining admission to the Legion.. blah blah" stuff, both long before and long after I killed them. Then I figured I'd humor him and let him speak, and lo and behold his dialogue suddenly progressed further. I wonder how much stuff I missed from him because of that :saddowns:

e: and I had heard his entire Legion speech before that point, so it wasn't him just waiting for me to hear it before saying something new or anything.

Yeah he said "Gaining admission to the Legion" for YEARS after they were dead for me.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man, I was wondering if it was even possible to destroy Wolnir's last bracelet after my second and third attempts until on my fourth it was a piece of piss. You mean he DOESN'T always spawn 5 strong skeletons then either lifts the hand with said bracelet for every attack or just charges repeatedly until he has you up against the wall and you auto-lose!? The weird thing is, that charge thing happened on the attempt I actually destroyed his bracelets FASTEST, so I assumed that was on a timer, and was all worried about managing to destroy all three bracelets in time. And then he just...never did that again despite me taking longer on both the next two tries. The kill he did summon some regular skeletons and a couple of bonewheels, but he only did normal slam/swipe attacks until I could get the final bracelet down.

And I got a sweet Greatsword for it :getin:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Control Volume posted:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is there a boss or something down in Demon Ruins? I think I've explored everything, but I expected to find more than just the ballista

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You should be able to summon the old wolf for the fight but it's as useful as puppy Sif.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Any ps4 goons mind helping with Alderich? I can't solo him and rando phantoms tend to get stunlocked and die in phase 2.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

turtlecrunch posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/361787186423319868/

Update 1.03.1 - 4/18 at 2am PST/11am CEST
The 1.03.1 update for Dark Souls III will be deployed on STREAM on April 18th at 11am CEST/2am PST It won’t require any maintenance downtime:

The update will include the following changes:

・ Performance adjustment for “Greatsword”
・ Battle performance adjustment for “Dancer’s Enchanted Sword”, “Winged Knight Twinaxes”
・ Performance adjustment for “Soul’s Greatsword”, and “Farron Flashsword”
・ Fix for issue where multiple items become impossible to use at “Road of Sacrifices”, “Farron Keep”, “Cathedral of the Deep” after clearing the game.
・ General balance adjustments and bug fixes

[Also for consoles.]

I wonder if performance adjustment means the developers thought it was underperforming and adjusting up, or overperforming and adjusting down.

I think I'm breaking down here and finally considering moving to different weapons for my str guy. I've been using great hammers, but they are just too slow to startup and the extra poise damage doesn't seem to really mean poo poo since a lot of the bigger scarier enemies you'd want to do that to have super armor for most of their attacks. I'm 2 str away from one handing a greataxe, I may give that a shot here for a while, but I'm also thinking about farming up a Cathedral Knight Greatsword. CKG looks a spot faster than the big hammers and do impact/thrust damage. If Dark Souls 2 was any indication Impact was one of the better damage types due to the sheer volume of heavy armored dudes you fight.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dark Souls III - the feel of loving rear end is incredibly good, much like the combat.

The thread tag has never been more appropriate.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Elman posted:

Is there a boss or something down in Demon Ruins? I think I've explored everything, but I expected to find more than just the ballista

There is a gigantic boss gate right behind squirmy the wormy you know.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ugh forget it, either you never find them or they t-pose you to death. Multiplayer peaked in Scholars.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Is this related to the stutter when autosaving? I'm not sure I can live without Steam Overlay since I take about 50 screenshots every play session :ohdear:

No, this is related to this issue. I played up to Boreal Valley like this.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Control Volume posted:

:prepop:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So what am I missing in carthus? I only have 4 bonfires here, Catacombs of Carthus, High Lord Wolnir, Abandomed Tomb, Demon Ruins I've heard there's one of the undead bone shard things to upgrade my estus?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FutonForensic posted:

No, this is related to this issue. I played up to Boreal Valley like this.

God drat that's bad. :stare:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Elman posted:

How did you manage to find the ballista and not find the boss?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's cool when you throw caution to the wind and go wild with your attacks on a boss since you figure you aren't going to master the dodge timing this attempt and you realise they have almost zero poise. :getin:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smornstein posted:

Any ps4 goons mind helping with Alderich? I can't solo him and rando phantoms tend to get stunlocked and die in phase 2.

wait like four hours and sure thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Your Computer posted:

You mean if I keep talking to that idiot he'll finally say something different? I usually do a loop around the firelink NPCs every hour or two, but if they start the same dialogue I just run off. I wonder if any others are bugged like that?