Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I said come in! posted:

This is correct. Return of the Jedi is a very good movie. Empire Strikes Back is the best Star Wars film, but the Force Awakens comes in a very close second for me, if not outright ties with it.

Agreed, friend.

This sums up AotC for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0_f5fkrCTA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The OT are good movies because they let you feel good about watching Star Wars. The PT are bad movies because they don't let you feel good about watching Star Wars. The Force Awakens is a good movie because it lets you feel good about watching Star Wars.

-- any given Star Wars fan.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

The OT are good movies because they let you feel good about watching Star Wars. The PT are bad movies because they don't let you feel good about watching Star Wars. The Force Awakens is a good movie because it lets you feel good about watching Star Wars.

-- any given Star Wars fan.

The bad qualities of the PT have been well documented and they're irrefutable.

Don't be dense.

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
I feel good watching all the star wars movies (except maybe Jedi) and probably rank them like ESB>ANH>ROTS>TFA>AOTC>TPM>ROTJ

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Terry Grunthouse posted:

I feel good watching all the star wars movies (except maybe Jedi) and probably rank them like ESB>ANH>ROTS>TFA>AOTC>TPM>ROTJ

5 tied with 7 4 guardians of the galaxy 6 star trek or something idk 31 basically any other movie 2

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In terms of quality
1.Tesb
2. AOTC
3. Rots
4. Tfa
5. Anh
6. Tpm
7. Rotj

IMHO.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

The bad qualities of the PT have been well documented and they're irrefutable.

Don't be dense.

This thread and others has done a pretty good job of refuting the idea that the pt is irredeemable. I'd bet money that you'll respond with something parroted out of those rlm videos.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SHISHKABOB posted:

This thread and others has done a pretty good job of refuting the idea that the pt is irredeemable. I'd bet money that you'll respond with something parroted out of those rlm videos.

Attack of the Clones is at the bottom of my list over almost every movie because even as a kid who would watch any old bullshit, I sat in that theater and thought, repeatedly, "is this over yet". It's just so boring.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Jedi has that fukken awesome space battle even though it is a lamely written Death Star repeat.

Anyone who hates on Jedi has to admit the Battle of Endor and Admiral Ackbar are awesome.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Jedi was my favorite when i was a kid. I loved Jabbas palace, the pleasure skiff, endor and the ewoks and the space battle.
jedi also has the only special edition change i hate...

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Attack of the Clones is at the bottom of my list over almost every movie because even as a kid who would watch any old bullshit, I sat in that theater and thought, repeatedly, "is this over yet". It's just so boring.

I re-watched it not long ago, paying extra-close attention to what Obi-Wan "teaches" Anakin vs. how he acts himself, and to how Anakin struggles internally with his frustration and externally with how he's treated by those he respects. Really enjoyed it, and it sets up ROTS well. If "people are talking, why are they not exploding or stabbing???" is your metric then I can see how it would kinda suck.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Kylo Ren is so loving awesome.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, he kicks rear end.

In other news, Mondo has some new potraits for sale by Mike Mitchell.

Bossk and Tarkin

$55 US each, available for 72 hours only.

http://mondotees.com/

These pictures don't do them justice - they are so vibrant and beautiful in person. I managed to snag Iron Man from the silver age a year ago (wish I could get more but it was limited) - just a beautiful piece. They recently just did Luke in his Rogue Squadron gear too (hopefully you picked that up if you knew about it).

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
The parts of Jedi I don't like are the parts on Tattooine, Endor and Dagobah. The space battle and throne room scenes are great. I am just mostly disappointed by the movie. The Jabba stuff just feels like any other mid-eighties fantasy movie (Labyrinth, Gremlins, Dark Crystal, etc), which is a fine aesthetic on it's own, but feels out of place in Star Wars and makes the movie nowhere near as timeless as the previous entries. Dagobah, an imaginative and mysterious location in ESB, becomes a boring exposition log. Endor is one of the most boring locations in Star Wars, maybe because I can visit forests whenever I like, but not deserts, swamps, cloud cities and so on. The Ewoks also disappoint me, not because they're teddy bears, but because again, they fail to be an imaginative addition to the creature gallery.

I am not old enough to have seen the original three released in theaters, but I can only imagine how disappointing it would have been for me to wait for 3 years, after seeing Empire, the best film in the franchise, and to be given Jedi. It must have been a lot similar for some people to the release of The Phantom Menace after the originals.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I can only speak to seeing the 1997 movies in theaters and knowing nothing about them previously. I was a kid. And I loved Return. I didn't feel disappointed at all. That would come later, with the prequels and changes to the OT.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Whack posted:

It's less of a character study and more of a balls to the wall action sci fi movie which is wholly different from the other films in the series.

it's actually weird because it tries to have shades of character study, and falls flat on its face with it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I don't get is why people in the Star Wars universe fawn over the Republic.

Like every time the Republic is shown its a terrible government full of corruption and gets literally nothing done and lets some outside force completely undermine it. Also is defeated militarily 9/10 of the times.

How could such a lovely, ineffective government rule for 1000 years? Why do people wanna go back to that?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phi230 posted:

One thing I don't get is why people in the Star Wars universe fawn over the Republic.

Like every time the Republic is shown its a terrible government full of corruption and gets literally nothing done and lets some outside force completely undermine it. Also is defeated militarily 9/10 of the times.

How could such a lovely, ineffective government rule for 1000 years? Why do people wanna go back to that?

It went a millenia without issues where its downfall began when someone finally noticed they don't have a military. That seems pretty good to me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phi230 posted:

That's the point and it gives a lot of context to Anakins choices.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

It went a millenia without issues where its downfall began when someone finally noticed they don't have a military. That seems pretty good to me.

Except the Republic is shown to be poo poo like dozens of times throughout that millennium. Even after they remake the Republic its poo poo too and gets blown up.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Phi230 posted:

Let me tell you a few things about liberal democracy,

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phi230 posted:

Except the Republic is shown to be poo poo like dozens of times throughout that millennium.

I'll take your word for it, I don't read the comics or books.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I'm starting to think that the people who say they like RotJ a lot haven't genuinely examined it as a film

Could be wrong though

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Waffles Inc. posted:

I'm starting to think that the people who say they like RotJ a lot haven't genuinely examined it as a film

Could be wrong though

"Genuinely examining" a film doesn't magically cause people to share your opinion

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

Waffles Inc. posted:

Could be wrong though

You are. That's OK though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Rotj ended up the way it did because Lucas has admitted to only having half a movie's worth of story and was just like well I'll throw in another death star to give all the non Luke cast something to do in the back half.

Still a fun movie.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

euphronius posted:

In terms of quality
1.Tesb
2. AOTC
3. Rots
4. Tfa
5. Anh
6. Tpm
7. Rotj

IMHO.

This list is extremely powerful.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
1. ESB (most influential star wars film easily, holds up incredibly well)

2. TFA ( Gorgeous shots, relatable characters, strong themes topical to its generation, second best villain in all the stars wars)

3. ANH (fantastic adaptation and mixture of both sci fo serials and asian dramas prior, relates to its generation well, weaker themes but still stellar)

4. RotJ (floats only by all of Luke and Vader's scenes, which says more about how great they are than how weak the rest is)

5. TPM (weakest of the SW films alone, with the succeeding two movies it becomes the best if the prequels).

Waffles Inc. posted:

Could be wrong though

By what measure can you decide if someone has genuinely appreciated art?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

rear end Catchcum posted:

I can only speak to seeing the 1997 movies in theaters and knowing nothing about them previously. I was a kid. And I loved Return. I didn't feel disappointed at all. That would come later, with the prequels and changes to the OT.

The 1997 movies were where the changes happened

Edit: Hell, if we're all making lists nobody's going to read:

1) Empire Strikes Back
2) Star Wars
3) Revenge of the Sith
4) Return of the Jedi
T-5) The Force Awakens
T-5) Attack of the Clones
7) The Phantom Menace

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 15, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

This list is extremely powerful.

TFA may move up a slot as I watch it more and notice more things.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Zeris posted:

"Genuinely examining" a film doesn't magically cause people to share your opinion

I don't think Waffles is saying that thoughtful viewers of jedi must agree with him/her, more like gently teasing fellow nerds for their infamous resistance to critical thinking.

I love Jedi a lot, but it is kinda repetitive plotwise and the worst composed visually. It's easily the weakest of the OT.

My ranking of quality star war: Hope and Empire and the entire PT are all first place gold winners great job!, Jedi is 2nd place, Awakens and the Ewok movies are third tier. (Haven't seen xmas special or the animated one yet)

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Toilet Mouth posted:

The 1997 movies were where the changes happened

Edit: Hell, if we're all making lists nobody's going to read:

1) Empire Strikes Back
2) Star Wars
3) Revenge of the Sith
4) Return of the Jedi
T-5) The Force Awakens
T-5) Attack of the Clones
7) The Phantom Menace

I meant the changes where Hayden's head replaced Shaw's, etc. I'm actually fine with the 1997 movies shown in theaters pretty much. They're also all I knew.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So kids, we need to talk about this documentary that comes with Force Awakens.

Specifically the part where JJ Abrams tries to excuse his own cantina scene by saying "If I went to a star wars movie and it didn't have it, I'd be asking where is it?". IMO that explains a lot of the philosophy behind the bad parts of the movie (which imo, aren't bad enough to kill what's really good about the movie). The one super obvious sin you could commit when making a new star wars movie, or ANY MOVIE, is to say "Well we have to do that from the old one or people will be mad". There are 6 other Star Wars movies and depending on your definition, there are 3-4 of them with no Cantina scenes.

The cantina in ANH feels like a dangerous place, they spend time there and bounce it off the characters: Luke is a local but he's in over his head, Ben Kenobi is oddly comfortable dealing with violent drunks and negotiating with rogues who shoot people over debt collection implying some history of his, Han is mr cool suave guy except when you get a private moment with him and chewie and then he's like oh thank god we're finally gonna have some money and he has that pivotal Greedo scene that firmly places him in a grey area morally.

In TFA the bar is a set that sits on top of Rey's hallucination scene. The personality it's supposed to have doesn't have enough time to develop (In the docu, JJ talks about it as an ancient safe space where all kinds of people can come together and negotiate or plan heists...but literally seconds after we're there 2 different factions call home and say BB8 IS HERE SEND A loving ARMY...and there doesn't seem to be any repercussions to blowing the whole place up, why was it safe in the first place?)

But this is the main problem I had with the movie: Starkiller base.

In ANH, the Death Star gets a ridiculous amount of screentime and attention once they leave Tatooine. The Alderaan scene, Imperials discussing what it means for the galaxy and Vader comparing it to the force, Ben Kenobi taking a moment to acknowledge that a ton of people just loving died, the entire chunk of the movie that takes place inside of it, the iconic trench run that makes it FEEL like the size of a moon. The impact of an entire planet being murdered and what it means for the people in that universe doesn't get a realistic treatment, but it gets a treatment at least. It's acknowledged and it makes the Death Star feel emotionally weighty, while the crazy amount of time they spend on it makes it feel physically real and imposing.

In TFA, there's an EVEN BIGGER death star. It can kill solar systems. It doesn't even need to go anywhere it just shoots stuff through hyperspace. But...

- It shows up in like 4 spots where it's necessary to the scene, 1 of which it hasn't even been introduced, fired or explained really (supposedly relying on the audience to say oh poo poo it's a death star...which is a bad move). In addition to. The interior isn't distinct from the interior of any of the Star Destroyers we've been on so far.

- No one ever successfully explains why they need to blow up 5 planets, partly because the VERY IMPORTANT (and not exactly simple) nature of the whole relationship between the Resistance, Republic, and First Order are only explained in books and comics and poo poo. No one explains how that really helps the First Order.

- No one even comes close to mourning 5 whole planets of people dying. Some people look up and go OH NO, but they all seem to go back to doing whatever afterwards. It happens, and the only person who even sort of reacts is Finn. And he's seemingly (and, suddenly) very concerned but never connects it to what just happened...he talks to Maz like he's the only person who knows about the laser. Wouldn't this be basically 9/11 in space? Wouldn't everyone be talking about it and afraid that their WHOLE SOLAR SYSTEM could be blown up at any time? Why not have someone talk about how they fear the First Order now and will aquiesce to them?

- When it gets attacked, the attack is centered on one octagon shaped building, which absolutely kills any sense of scale.

What I'm saying is this: Empire didn't have a Death Star. Empire is beloved. You have Lawrence loving Kasdan on retainer literally walking around the woods with you talking about Star Wars. How did that situation end up with a BETTER-THAN-DEATHSTAR thing in your new movie that doesn't even get half of the attention it really needs to work?

My other large complaint is that everything feels way too rushy rushy compared to the OT that they love so much. If JJ Abrams didn't arbitrarily decide he didn't want a long run time (and c'mon you fucker, I know we had a period where we all were like "Whoa 3 hours of LOTR, this is a bit much" BUT THIS IS STAAAAAR WAAAAAAAARS, just give us a solid 2.5 hours you cock) and didn't shoehorn in another Death Star, there would have been time to let scenes breathe a bit, and do more character bits.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Cardboard Box A posted:

In TFA, there's an EVEN BIGGER death star. It can kill solar systems. It doesn't even need to go anywhere it just shoots stuff through hyperspace. But...

- It shows up in like 4 spots where it's necessary to the scene, 1 of which it hasn't even been introduced, fired or explained really (supposedly relying on the audience to say oh poo poo it's a death star...which is a bad move). In addition to. The interior isn't distinct from the interior of any of the Star Destroyers we've been on so far.

- No one ever successfully explains why they need to blow up 5 planets, partly because the VERY IMPORTANT (and not exactly simple) nature of the whole relationship between the Resistance, Republic, and First Order are only explained in books and comics and poo poo. No one explains how that really helps the First Order.

- No one even comes close to mourning 5 whole planets of people dying. Some people look up and go OH NO, but they all seem to go back to doing whatever afterwards. It happens, and the only person who even sort of reacts is Finn. And he's seemingly (and, suddenly) very concerned but never connects it to what just happened...he talks to Maz like he's the only person who knows about the laser. Wouldn't this be basically 9/11 in space? Wouldn't everyone be talking about it and afraid that their WHOLE SOLAR SYSTEM could be blown up at any time? Why not have someone talk about how they fear the First Order now and will aquiesce to them?

Yeah this part REALLY didn't work for me--maybe it's my fault for not paying enough attention to Space Hitler's evil speech, but I was legitimately confused re: what planets just got blown up, why blowing up 5 planets was described as "blowing up the Republic," why the planets were visible in the sky of what I thought was a backwater criminal outpost? I hadn't understood at all the relationship between the Republic and the Resistance and had assumed it would be made clear later, but instead that scene happened.

I think it was the first time in a Star Wars movie where I just straight up didn't understand what was supposed to be happening, which was...disconcerting.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Even in the peak of my fervor for TFA, I was kind of baffled (or bored) by the galactic conflict that was the catalyst for the action in the films. I feel like it's really a testament to the characters' fuckability and Star Wars nostalgia that I still enjoyed the movie. But it really is a shame that the background conflict seemed to amount to "the one from the prior films, I guess" with no substance. Maybe it makes more sense if I read the books? Even the bar owner alien comments on how the conflict is effectively the same one that plays out in the prior films. At the time I thought that was really clever, but now I find it kind of telling.

My hope is that now that they have A New Hope 2: Electric Boogaloo out of their systems, they'll work on trying to actually expand upon the series instead of trying to recreate it with new, more fuckable characters.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Haledjian posted:

Yeah this part REALLY didn't work for me--maybe it's my fault for not paying enough attention to Space Hitler's evil speech, but I was legitimately confused re: what planets just got blown up, why blowing up 5 planets was described as "blowing up the Republic," why the planets were visible in the sky of what I thought was a backwater criminal outpost? I hadn't understood at all the relationship between the Republic and the Resistance and had assumed it would be made clear later, but instead that scene happened.

I think it was the first time in a Star Wars movie where I just straight up didn't understand what was supposed to be happening, which was...disconcerting.

Hitler jugend doesn't really say anything, but the way he says it... :allears:

:freep:
Today is the end of the Republic. The end of a regime that acquiesces to disorder.
At this very moment in a system far from here, the New Republic lies to the galaxy while secretly supporting the treachery of the loathsome Resistance.
This fierce machine which you have built, upon which we stand will bring an end to the Senate, to their cherished fleet.
All remaining systems will bow to the First Order and will remember this as the last day of the Republic
:freep:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

is there a different word thats being word filtered into "fuckability" ?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The five planets we don't care about getting blown up doesn't really bother me, because it's great spectacle. It's just, the whole New Order vs. Resistance thing is nonsense.
I've yet to see a compelling argument why Leia and Han were sent back to 0, because even with Kylo being a sympathetic anti-hero, him killing his father for his sins is still shown as a bad thing.
Honestly if you wanted the movie "Han, Leia, and Luke hosed up" have some poo poo like Leia the queen of a failing new empire, just under the banner of "New Republic" Make the First Order a ragtag group that's gaining traction because people are sick of her poo poo.

Instead we have a film where Leia is still a hero, because the Republic wouldn't listen to her about the First Order, and the Order has all the power and the money in the galaxy but aren't in charge. Han going back to a heartless thug isn't even viewed as a bad thing, it's exciting Rey can meet a vintage fantasy character. It's nostalgia, not an admittance of failure.
I can see a future scene where they tell Luke it totally wasn't his fault the Knights of Ren hosed up his school.

I mean would love for the future films to explore Kylo to be the good guy and Rey evil, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also best ranking:
Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Attack of the Clones

The rest I'm pretty ambivalent towards.

Kly posted:

is there a different word thats being word filtered into "fuckability" ?

It's a stand-in for likability. When people say there aren't likeable characters, they're really bitching they wouldn't gently caress or grab a beer with these dudes.
It's a meaningless way to value a film is all, great films can be about horrible people and such.
It's from an SMG post so it's been memed.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
The blowing up the planets was exactly from anh because it's to show you that they can blow up planets. And then they point it at the planet where all the people in the movie are. Danger!

It's clunky and not as tense as anh. But whatever I had fun watching it.

And the documentary is super sweet.

JJ did amazing given his mission was to bring the six billion dollar franchise back from the dead. Dude was nerved up and it showed. Good on him.

• Locked thread