Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Greirat's thing is definitely weird. In my case, I never told Patches anything, and had Siegward's quest up to date but Greirat still died. What I suspect is the deal is that Siegmeyer needs to have not moved on by the time you send Greirat. I didn't even get the option to send Greirat anywhere until after killing Sulyvahn so Siegward was long gone and I just found Greirat dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Robo Reagan posted:

Oh, I've been using the Uchitinaga, however it's spelled, with a fire enchant and it's pretty much tearing rear end through my first play through. That plus luck and I get stuff to bleed out quickly

I think it uses a bit too much stamina, though

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

DeathSandwich posted:

For the ending of Anri's questline she dies in every one even if she survived that fight. In Dark Souls style, she has no happy ending.

I still kind of saw it as happy ish. She was hollow which meant she had to cling to a purpose in life. Most hollows go mad because they lose that purpose like Siegmeyer in DS1. she doesn't lose her purpose, she fulfills it which is the best that can be expected really.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

RabidWeasel posted:

This is weapon specific, for example I think the estoc and falchion have a kick and not a silly poke or twirl.

Estoc and rapier don't have a kick, they have a swat + leap back. I've actually found this useful for a few enemies (like hollows in cages).

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

There is a gigantic boss gate right behind squirmy the wormy you know.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How did you manage to find the ballista and not find the boss?

Oh yeah, I just figured that was part of the previous area :shobon: I was surprised there wasn't one in the ruins section of it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This boss is making me scream at the teevee a lot. Like, I have a summoned phantom, the bosses back is to you. I don't care if you are out of Estus GO HIT HIS BACK

We would have won but instead we lost and I'm feeling very frustrated

Is the uchi no longer a good dex scaling weapon?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I considering putting an infusion on my claymore+4 but they all only add or subtract 4 damage except the Fire Claymore, lol.

I might make it fire though idk

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Uchi is Very good, probably one of the best dex weapons imo.

Make it sharp asap.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I was drunk running around the swamp (the fortress one) last night and lost 37k souls. Currently a level-up is about 4.8k souls for me, so, lol indeed! I did at least open up the path to another bonfire and maybe a boss or something by opening the big door via putting out fires. Question: Pure strength build. What should I use? I have a sawblade from the big guys in the undead township, but now I just got a few other options: a great club and a greatsword. I also got a butcher's knife at some point but the moveset seems like it is really lame. The greatsword hits behind you as well as in front, and the great club in power-mode does 3 mean swings with my current stamina, which is quite nice. I don't know what to go for but I know I need to stop using the lame-rear end sawblade.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Most weapons do not scale naturally as well as previous games. Refining them is a lot more important now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I was impressed when imbuing my halberd (D and E scaling) made both scalings Cs. That helped a bunch.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also I'm 16 hours in and only at the cathedral. Co-op is great, 3 way invasions are great, moundmaking is great, red invading is kind of lovely but will become great when they fix some things that they probably never will.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Put a sharp infusion on that motherfucker.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am still undefeated in invasions and have never summoned help. Feels good bro.

Like half of them were pure luck tho.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Uchi is good but real men use the chaos blade.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, these loving Abyss Watchers are somehow just endlessly kicking my poo poo in. Maybe I'm not cut out for this spell sword nonsense; I'm rocking an Uchi+2, the Dragon Crest, Magic Weapon and Heavy Arrow, INT17, DEX20. What should I be doing here? SL27

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am still undefeated in invasions and have never summoned help. Feels good bro.

Like half of them were pure luck tho.

I'm about 50/50 in instances where it isn't lagging out, but those are few and far between. At least DS2 if you saw them swinging, regardless where they were, you knew to roll.

Still no luck with getting summons as the sentinel either, though I do see them around a fair bit.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Just on Dancer now and running into some issues.

I will say I haven't seen much love for the Drang Hammers on here, and they are amazing, look cool, and at +6 have A strength scaling if you make them heavy (This was when I did mine, I'm not sure if they are initially A when heavy or not). I was using a Claymore, then a Zweihander, and now it's pretty much hammers all the time. the L1 dual wield double attack takes little stamina and does great damage.

I think I've screwed up pretty much all of the sidequests though, and about half of the people in my town are dead / missing although in most cases I've yet to see bodies.

Here is my lady styling with her maces.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Okay, these loving Abyss Watchers are somehow just endlessly kicking my poo poo in. Maybe I'm not cut out for this spell sword nonsense; I'm rocking an Uchi+2, the Dragon Crest, Magic Weapon and Heavy Arrow, INT17, DEX20. What should I be doing here? SL27

Get good

Seriously though, treat it like Lady Maria. Dodge and then dodge more. Only attack from behind and in lags of attack.

Also, pay attention to his buddies. Not all of them are buddies.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm about 50/50 in instances where it isn't lagging out, but those are few and far between. At least DS2 if you saw them swinging, regardless where they were, you knew to roll.

Best invasion so far was when a guy invaded me in the catacombs and appeared in the middle of the bridge with the boulder. He didn't make it lol.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Get that weapon up to 3 or 4. Try dodging to his right normally.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Another noob question thrown in: I play offline, but get invaded...are these NPC invasions (the last one was calles Xanthous)? "What" are these invaders? I won and got his crown

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mr.PayDay posted:

Another noob question thrown in: I play offline, but get invaded...are these NPC invasions (the last one was calles Xanthous)? "What" are these invaders? I won and got his crown

Yes those are NPCs. They usually drop something good for killing them such as their weapon.

Soo exploring more of the snowy place I finally confirmed what I initially suspected on arriving here: It's clearly not just reminiscent of Anor Londo.... it's literally Anor Londo frozen over. There's no mistaking the Darkmoon Tomb and rotating staircase.

I'm sure everyone else already knew this by now but I hadn't heard anything about it so it's cool to realize.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

Yep NPCs. Lore wise they are various undead bending time to pillage for souls.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why do you play offline? I have literally never been invaded yet, which is a shame.

Well, except for NPC invasions. Xanthous is one of those.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr.PayDay posted:

You've got it right, they're NPC invaders and they all carry special gear

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm sure everyone else already knew this by now but I hadn't heard anything about it so it's cool to realize.

Wait till you see the boss.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Thanks for the quick responses again lads. I wanna do my first run solo and enjoy that experience without distraction and "accomplish" beating the game on my own offline, to get emotionally prepared later to get rekt with online mode enabled in my second or third run :dunkedon:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ilustforponydeath posted:

That's why I dump all my points in to endurance since I don't need to level str/dex for scaling. I assume the damage will fall off eventually but for now this is getting the job done.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Best invasion so far was when a guy invaded me in the catacombs and appeared in the middle of the bridge with the boulder. He didn't make it lol.

I win most instances I get invaded at least, my gripes are primarily for trying pvp with the red eye orb. Even moundmaking works out fine when I don't get ganked. :v:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

I win most instances I get invaded at least, my gripes are primarily for trying pvp with the red eye orb. Even moundmaking works out fine when I don't get ganked. :v:

I keep getting close to winning then the prick runs off in to some mobs

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

Yep, NPC invaders.

Also, don't play offline if you're only doing that to avoid invasions. They're pretty rare if you're not summoning help, and even if you do get invaded, you can join the Way of Blue covenant and a member of the Blue Sentinels covenant might be summoned to help you. I mostly say this because Blue Sentinels is a really fun covenant and sometimes doesn't get enough to do because people who never want to be invaded would rather play offline than join a covenant, but it's really cool!

GreyPowerVan posted:

Why do you play offline? I have literally never been invaded yet, which is a shame.

Every time I've summoned someone to run around a level with me, I've been invaded within a minute. I also got solo invaded twice. Once by a Watchdog of Farron who apparently couldn't find me (I was over by the ruins, he stayed in the swamp) and Black Crystaled out after a few minutes, and once by a red phantom with whom I had a very fun duel and barely won.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ilustforponydeath posted:

stamina scaling's a bit different this time, you get better returns from 20 to 40 points in endurance, I think in DS2 the soft cap was at 20 so I left my DS3 guy there for a while and couldn't figure out why 2 swings with a large club wiped out my entire stamina bar

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Robo Reagan posted:

I keep getting close to winning then the prick runs off in to some mobs

At first I tried using sorceries to pick him off but they're so slow and poor-homing that I stopped wasting my FP and now just heal, reapply a buff, and slowly move forward, or if there are too many, wait it out and reposition.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Stormgale posted:

Uchi is Very good, probably one of the best dex weapons imo.

Make it sharp asap.

Do you have to unlock Sharp infusions, because I have a Sharp gem.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

At first I tried using sorceries to pick him off but they're so slow and poor-homing that I stopped wasting my FP and now just heal, reapply a buff, and slowly move forward, or if there are too many, wait it out and reposition.

I just pull the plug on my modem because I want to play dark souls, not see who has more patience

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

I just pull the plug on my modem because I want to play dark souls, not see who has more patience

One good trick is to rope a dope these guys. Focus entirely on dodging and rolling and let them exhaust their spells and buffs and then finish them off.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Substandard posted:

Just on Dancer now and running into some issues.

I will say I haven't seen much love for the Drang Hammers on here, and they are amazing, look cool, and at +6 have A strength scaling if you make them heavy (This was when I did mine, I'm not sure if they are initially A when heavy or not). I was using a Claymore, then a Zweihander, and now it's pretty much hammers all the time. the L1 dual wield double attack takes little stamina and does great damage.

I think I've screwed up pretty much all of the sidequests though, and about half of the people in my town are dead / missing although in most cases I've yet to see bodies.

Here is my lady styling with her maces.

My build doesn't work for drang hammers but holy poo poo, I tried the moveset just to see and it seems sick nasty.

Yet another weapon I'm wondering if it would combo with Carthus Beacon really well.

Again, has anybody had any success with Carthus Beacon? Sounds like it could be really OP if you figure out how to trigger it enough, but I'm having no luck at all.

Mr.PayDay posted:

You can tell NPC invaders from players based on the name.

If its like Rosaria's Finger Xanthous _______ or Holy Knight ______ or any fancy title like that, its an NPC.

If its xxWeedLordxx or Sephiroth then its a PC :cheeky:

In theory somebody could make their player name sound like a fancy title, but in practice you usually don't have enough characters.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 15, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

okay what weapon is this because :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So I finally started to play earnestly, how viable is magic later on? The casting times look to be a real bottleneck on its effectiveness but it seems like the game encourages you to play hybrid classes this time around since Dex looks like it reduces casting time (I always went Dex/Int anyway so it works for me) but I can't tell by how much it reduces the casting time. Coming off of Bloodborne it took me a while to stop being incredible aggressive but once that wore off I started getting back into the rhythm, stopped dodging into enemies' swings and started using my shield more often. I'm still on the look out for a weapon that clicks with me so I defaulted to my usual pick of the longsword.