Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Enallyniv posted:

Has anyone figured out exactly what they were going for with the FFIX card game?

It was just so jarring after Triple Triad to have a game full of random chance elements, with little to no tutorial beyond "put cards here and use arrows to capture" and very few tangible rewards in the end.

(even if the tangible rewards were a mixed blessing for FFVIII's already questionable game balance)

At the time, FFIX's card game was generally regarded as being easier to understand how to play. The lack of tangible rewards always sucked though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

At the time, FFIX's card game was generally regarded as being easier to understand how to play. The lack of tangible rewards always sucked though.

yup its very easy to understand the concept of "put card somewhere and you will either randomly win or lose regardless of the stats of your card"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, at the time the card game may as well have been a coin flip, it was so poorly explained and understood. VIII's base game was simple, and the regional rules understandable if you wanted.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

TommyGun85 posted:

yup its very easy to understand the concept of "put card somewhere and you will either randomly win or lose regardless of the stats of your card"

While there is an RNG element and that aspect is arguably not fun, the stats do matter. Also, you are being a bit aggressive for no reason. Chill out.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

VIII's base game was simple, and the regional rules understandable if you wanted.

The only regional rules that should've been in FF8 were Open and All, and absolutely none of the others. Especially not Random.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I liked plus and same as well. Random was poo poo through and through.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Xavier434 posted:

While there is an RNG element and that aspect is arguably not fun, the stats do matter. Also, you are being a bit aggressive for no reason. Chill out.

While he's being a dick, what he's getting at is "who thought tetra master was easier to understand? because I've never heard it to be 'generally considered' that way" and instead, my perception was that people didn't care for it very much while Triple Triad minus regional rules was really quite easy to figure out in FF8. The regional rules weren't even that hard to figure out, they were just mostly awful. I even remember a cadre of people complaining that Tetra Master was chosen over Triple Triad as a game to played on PlayOnline.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

bloodychill posted:

While he's being a dick, what he's getting at is "who thought tetra master was easier to understand? because I've never heard it to be 'generally considered' that way" and instead, my perception was that people didn't care for it very much while Triple Triad minus regional rules was really quite easy to figure out in FF8. The regional rules weren't even that hard to figure out, they were just mostly awful. I even remember a cadre of people complaining that Tetra Master was chosen over Triple Triad as a game to played on PlayOnline.

I see. I could have worded that better. When I said, "generally considered" I meant something more along the lines of, "nearly everyone that I knew". I had just started college at the time and I was around a lot of people playing the game. We all loved IX's card game more than VIII and considered it easier to understand at that time.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Mr E posted:

The explanation is that the backgrounds are prerendered and they lost the originals a long time ago.

but what is up with the lack of antialiasing options for the 3D geometry? It just makes it stand out even more from the blurry backgrounds.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Xavier434 posted:

I see. I could have worded that better. When I said, "generally considered" I meant something more along the lines of, "nearly everyone that I knew". I had just started college at the time and I was around a lot of people playing the game. We all loved IX's card game more than VIII and considered it easier to understand at that time.

Funny, the opposite was true among my friends - we were some of the ones complaining about Tetra Master in XI, too. (Also worth mentioning, it wasn't IN FFXI, just came in the package. It was a stand alone game you'd have to exit FFXI to launch. XIV is so much better in every way, and it has Triple Triad instead)

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Xavier434 posted:

They're right though, if you didn't have access to the rules breakdown from the strategy guide('s website) the card stats could have been basically anything. The RNG made figuring them out a moving target too. Not to say it's impossible but it's a fairly obvious barrier to understanding, even before you compare it to Triple Triad which is literally "3 bigger than 2, take the card".

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Funny, the opposite was true among my friends - we were some of the ones complaining about Tetra Master in XI, too. (Also worth mentioning, it wasn't IN FFXI, just came in the package. It was a stand alone game you'd have to exit FFXI to launch. XIV is so much better in every way, and it has Triple Triad instead)
At least Play Online Tetra Master came with the full set of rules if I remember right.

In universe FF9, the NPCs teaching you how to play were even like "I don't have a loving clue, you should just put cards down and something interesting is bound to happen."

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

zedprime posted:

At least Play Online Tetra Master came with the full set of rules if I remember right.

In universe FF9, the NPCs teaching you how to play were even like "I don't have a loving clue, you should just put cards down and something interesting is bound to happen."

Tetra Master, even the characters in the game don't know how it works!

I'll be honest, I did like Tetra Master, RNG and all even if I didn't like it as much as Triple Triad. I remember getting frustrated with it occasionally but feeling like at least the damned thing didn't have regional rules.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I liked Tetra Master better. :shobon: It was sort of random, but I preferred it to Triple Triad, which is basically just Advanced Tic-Tac-Toe and gets incredibly boring after a couple games.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
New challenge idea: Fight-less runs, i.e. games where you cannot use the Fight command. Obviously in a lot of games this is trivial to avoid anyway, but I think this could add a lot to FF4 in particular. Kain forced to Jump to attack, Yang and DK Cecil stuck with multi-target attacks, Edge with Ninjutsu, and Paladin Cecil and Cid are pretty much stuck as item bots while you end up more reliant on your mages for offense. I think it'd change things up enough to be interesting and add some challenge but not an insane amount.

It's pretty hard to come up with challenges for FF4 since everything is so fixed.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Mega64 posted:

New challenge idea: Fight-less runs, i.e. games where you cannot use the Fight command. Obviously in a lot of games this is trivial to avoid anyway, but I think this could add a lot to FF4 in particular. Kain forced to Jump to attack, Yang and DK Cecil stuck with multi-target attacks, Edge with Ninjutsu, and Paladin Cecil and Cid are pretty much stuck as item bots while you end up more reliant on your mages for offense. I think it'd change things up enough to be interesting and add some challenge but not an insane amount.

It's pretty hard to come up with challenges for FF4 since everything is so fixed.

I like the idea, seems like it could be pretty tough but actually doable and a neat way to freshen up FF4. I don't think there's a single part of the game where you don't have access to at least some non-fight damage.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Do a level 1/1/2 challenge in X-2. Add on more restrictions if you want even more fun.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tempo 119 posted:

but what is up with the lack of antialiasing options for the 3D geometry? It just makes it stand out even more from the blurry backgrounds.

If you can't get Multisampling working on NVIDIA Panel they probably went for Deferred Rendering for absolutely no real reason. Unity and most engines can't do MSAA on Deferred due to a severe case of I honestly don't know since there's been papers describing how to do it for years.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

So this is a thing that should be easily solvable with GPU drivers or GeDoSaTo, but what is up with the lack of antialiasing options for the 3D geometry? It just makes it stand out even more from the blurry backgrounds.

it's designed for really high dpi tablet screens and it wouldnt need AA in that case i guess

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

do a single garb run of lightning returns

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mega64 posted:

I imagine it's a little doable in IX, but you'd need to either give yourself an out for certain parts or bring lots of Potions otherwise; for example in the second Plant Cage fight, neither Zidane or Steiner have offensive commands, so you'd have to wait for Zidane to go into Trance while chucking lots of Potions at the team and Garnet. Most other fights can be dealt with using Trance or just having characters like Vivi in the party. Also means you have to let Freya or Vivi win the Festival of the Hunt.

Zidane would be nigh-useless til Disc 3 though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

you could throw tents at the enemy

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

gigglefeimer posted:

Do a level 1/1/2 challenge in X-2. Add on more restrictions if you want even more fun.

Is a level 1 challenge even possible in a Final Fantasy game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ApplesandOranges posted:

I imagine it's a little doable in IX, but you'd need to either give yourself an out for certain parts or bring lots of Potions otherwise; for example in the second Plant Cage fight, neither Zidane or Steiner have offensive commands, so you'd have to wait for Zidane to go into Trance while chucking lots of Potions at the team and Garnet. Most other fights can be dealt with using Trance or just having characters like Vivi in the party. Also means you have to let Freya or Vivi win the Festival of the Hunt.

Zidane would be nigh-useless til Disc 3 though.
Zidane should be stealing a ton of useful poo poo.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

RatHat posted:

I think most FF games have weird ways to avoid exp (like I think in FFVIII you can petrify enemies and they won't give any experience)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RatHat posted:

It's possible to beat FF9 with a party of level 1 characters, but your non-party members will be forced to gain some levels in the You're Not Alone sequence.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I wonder if OFS will revisit the LLG he was doing for Mega's thread any time soon.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

if you're looking to freshen up FFIV, there's two romhacks I can think of that were really fun to play, The Darkness Within and Unprecedented Crisis

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Jusupov posted:

Did you get this working? I haven't used autohotkey before so it's a bit too hard for me, but with just a macro mouse clicking all the time I got over 600 jumps and then it just failed.

I used getpixelcolor for something in the ! but it kept flickering on and off and triggering the jump too often, then setting a sleep makes it fail at some point.

edit: nvm got it with 9ms

Care to share your script? I just spent an hour jumping rope and it's giving me horrific flashbacks of doing this as a kid.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

RatHat posted:

It's possible in good Final Fantasy games like X-2

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

gigglefeimer posted:

It's possible in good Final Fantasy games like X-2

But it is literally impossible to do level 1 runs in FFVII or VIII because they start you at Level 6 or 7. Well, FFVIII is a bad game, but the point stands.

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!

LightReaper posted:

Laffo what does it skip?

it does skip the camera intros but only for random encounters

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

it does skip the camera intros but only for random encounters

Keeping in mind nothing counts as that until, what, after Evil Forest?

E: VVV Yeah, just trying to halfheartedly justify my mistake. :shobon:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 16, 2016

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!

AlphaKretin posted:

Keeping in mind nothing counts as that until, what, after Evil Forest?

There are random encounters in Evil Forest if you want to be pedantic but until you hit that you're basically getting the camera.
Which is fine, actually; all of them are different enough that it makes sense, and after that intro part of Disc 1 nothing obnoxious like that happens again so it's basically only to add flair to boss fights.

If you guys want actual footage of how the game runs (things that look like mistakes are either me loving up recording or doing a hack editing job on the video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E29Di-lI7Hg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-H1ChKrIiY

If I had to describe it, it feels...sluggish? Everything feels more discretized, like nothing is as smooth. You can't skip text anywhere nearly as rapidly as the PS1 version. But the upscaled models and everything look really nice, I'm actually a fan of the bigger UI and hi-res font (it's nowhere near as jarring as say, Mega Man X iOS' rubbish font choice) and I am a fan of some of the other features (Continue, for instance which autosaves loving everywhere).

quote:

Tetra Master

The rules actually aren't that difficult to understand, it's just that nobody loving tells you them:

First value on the card is attack; second is attack type; third is physical defense, fourth is magical defense.
The attack types are physical, magical, flexible (picks one based on which defense value is lower on the enemy card), and assault (ditto, except your attack is also the highest value on your card instead of just your attack).

Every time a card battle happens, each card rolls two numbers: First based on if its attacking (use the attack value) or defending (use the relevant defense value), and then second from 0 to the number previously rolled. Subtract the two; whichever is higher wins.

I should know because I programmed this PC port of it a year ago which has networking support.
By the way as someone who's played the phone version and am working through the PC version they one hundred percent hosed up the sounds in the new Tetra Master. They're all new and it's grating as gently caress to listen to.

Gamesfreak13563 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 16, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Taking a moment to remind you all that 16 years later Steiner is still the best character.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Jibo posted:

Care to share your script? I just spent an hour jumping rope and it's giving me horrific flashbacks of doing this as a kid.

I couldn't get a proper script to work so I just used razers tool for my mouse that has built-in macros and had it click left mouse button on the ! every 9ms. You might have to fiddle around with the delay a bit and the position of your cursor since if you see the ! flickering it's not going to work since it'll be trying to skip too many times and fails.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Does FFIX PC have any manual quicksave? Don't really wanna redo the whole festival when the Zahgnol fight doesn't go my way.

E: Holy poo poo, "all rights reserved" is misspelt at the bottom of the steam manual.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 16, 2016

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

What's a good, but not tedious and time-consuming FFVI challenge? I've mostly done no espers before, but something to combo with that that doesn't take ages to make any progress (like lowest levels) would be nice.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not sure if there's a more fitting place.

Nier Automata is looking brilliant and the protag designs are on point

try and get in on the stream if you can.
(You gotta pay for it on Nico unless you find a rehost which is probably technically files)

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xq_rlP54pI
Someone's caught a bit of footage here, but they're generally messing around in debug still now.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I mean if it's at the point where it's having announcement events it might be worth its own thread.