Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BrianWilly posted:

Oh my god the timeline must be in utter agony right now, wailing desperately as it is ripped and ravaged to and fro.

All of a sudden, Barry Allen pops up from a portal and high-fives the team.

Flashpoint no longer exists because of LoT incompetence; pre-new-52 continues.

Many die, but Wally and Linda live, so who gives a poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The team travels to 2023 to prevent nuclear war between Russia and Canada but when Martin accidentally makes moose an extinct species hard decisions must be made. Ray befriends Vladimir Putin. Kendra starts a knitting circle.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

For however much they've hosed with the timeline and changed things, if Martin hadn't gone against Rip's orders and intervened HG Wells would have died as a child, so there must be some consideration of their actions in the existing timeline.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
So, I never realized Kasnia/Kaznia from the last EP when they went to the future is the same Kasnia from the EP of Arrow where the Suicide Squad goes on a mission, and that it came from the DCAU.

Apparently, it first showed up in Superman:TAS, and it's been in the very first EP of Batman Beyond, and at least a few times in Justice League/JLU.

Kinda cool.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
There was absolutely nothing cool about the portrayal of Jonah Hex in this episode, he was just a dude who showed up and stood around and occasionally said things

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
/\Yes there should have been some on-screen flashback or something to give him a backstory.

ShakeZula posted:

For however much they've hosed with the timeline and changed things, if Martin hadn't gone against Rip's orders and intervened HG Wells would have died as a child, so there must be some consideration of their actions in the existing timeline.

i thought HG Wells grew up in England :confused: These Legends have really messed up the timeline!

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 15, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Legends is a cool idea in paper in terms of "each couple of episodes visit a new time/place and introduce a different B DC character like Jonah Hex, Degaton, or Connor Hawke" but it doesn't execute it well. I think the main reason for that is that the cast is too bloated so there's just no time to flesh out a new character like Hex who will be gone next episode when characters like Jax are still so poorly developed.

Next season I'd like to see the cast cut down to a smaller group (Rip, Sara, Snart, and Ray IMO) and give the show more time to play with new and guest characters who can come and go from the team. People compare this to Doctor Who understandably but I think that's a big part of the problem. Who has the Doctor and 1 or 2 companions pop in and react to the world they visit so the world and its characters are the main setting and story. But Legends basically spends half of its episode in the ship wrestling with all the backstory and drama of the main cast.

Which is fine. I'm not one of those "oh no, human drama on my genre show" people. There's just too much poo poo to sort through with a cast of 8 regulars not even counting Carter or Savage. This can be a large team show like Agents of SHIELD or it can be an anthology-like time travel show like Doctor Who but it really can't be both.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So I turn to HG Wells, he's telling another one of his stories, and I tells him, gee, Atche Gee, I sure am tired of all these legends of tomorrow.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Binary Logic posted:

i thought HG Wells grew up in England :confused: These Legends have really messed up the timeline!

He did, that was really strange. No idea what they were going for there.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Someone knew he toured the US a few times and didn't notice that the first time around he was 40, perhaps?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Clearly the timeline is getting so hosed up, historical figures are being displaced left and right.

Clearly. :colbert:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I wonder if Samuel Clemens would have been a better reference (some of his siblings died very young) but for some reason they couldn't use him. I know this is incredibly trivial concerning a science fiction program but the conversation should have been:

Stein: You're HG Wells?
Young Herbert: HG, I like that.
Stein: What on Earth are you doing in America?!

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 15, 2016

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Travelling to the Great Exhibition of 1851, Rip accidentally lands the Waverider on top of Kent Cricket Club, killing HG Wells's father and causing the family to move to America. Kendra and Martin bond over the lace-making machinery exhibit; Jax fetches a good price due to his natural athleticism; Ray has never tried a mango before, but finds he likes them!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Next time, Ray is once again marooned, this time in the Sierra Nevada in the winter of 1846; he joins a wagon train captained by one George Donner and when he is picked up, complains of the scrap of chicken stuck between his teeth which he is unable to dislodge. Rip orders the crew to keep their mouths shut. Snart smirks, "Should've given Ray that advice, fearless leader."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When Rip crash lands at Plymouth Rock, Mick must replace John Smith. Dr. Stein and Jax try to outlaw slavery. Sarah makes out with Pocahontas. But the Disney adult one, not the historically accurate child one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Binary Logic posted:

I wonder if Samuel Clemens would have been a better reference (some of his siblings died very young) but for some reason they couldn't use him. I know this is incredibly trivial concerning a science fiction program but the conversation should have been:

Stein: You're HG Wells?
Young Herbert: HG, I like that.
Stein: What on Earth are you doing in America?!

He is busy time traveling himself collecting dead authors!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The year is 50 B.C., Gaul is entirely occupied by Vandal Savage. Well, not entirely... The team helps one small village of indomitable Gauls to hold out against the invadors. Ray turns purple due to a magic potion. Sara makes out with Cleopatra.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

greatn posted:

When Rip crash lands at Plymouth Rock, Mick must replace John Smith. Dr. Stein and Jax try to outlaw slavery. Sarah makes out with Pocahontas. But the Disney adult one, not the historically accurate child one.

Considering how fast sara busted out her knowledge of the drinking age in Russia in 1986, I wouldn't be surprised if she had an equally encyclopedic knowledge of historical age of consent laws

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sereri posted:

The year is 50 B.C., Gaul is entirely occupied by Vandal Savage. Well, not entirely... The team helps one small village of indomitable Gauls to hold out against the invadors. Ray turns purple due to a magic potion. Sara makes out with Cleopatra.

:lol:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I do appreciate the subtle showing of Sara drinking Rory under the table

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The year is 1870. The team goes back in time for no good reason. Stein forgets to take off his plastic glasses. Ray wonders why this seems so much like a JLU episode.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This is the fillerest episode ever, and after all the time they spent at the end of the last episode talking up things were getting SERIOUS and it was time to STOP SAVAGE ONCE AND FOR ALL it makes me wonder if there were some bizarre behind-the-scenes production problems that necessitated it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"The Time Masters have sent Chronos to kill us!"

"Who's that?"

"An unstoppable assassin who will stop at nothing to stop us."

"Oh, okay."

"Now the Time Masters have sent the Hunters to kill us!"

"Who are they?"

"Unstoppable assassins who will stop at nothing to stop us."

"Oh, okay."

"Now the Time Masters have sent the Pilgrim to kill us!"

"Go gently caress yourself, Rip."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is the fillerest episode ever, and after all the time they spent at the end of the last episode talking up things were getting SERIOUS and it was time to STOP SAVAGE ONCE AND FOR ALL it makes me wonder if there were some bizarre behind-the-scenes production problems that necessitated it.

Wanting to introduce a possible character for season 2?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Wanting to introduce a possible character for season 2?
Then the writers are Jonah hacks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Then the writers are Jonah hacks.

They did the same thing with Barry in Arrow season 2

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

FactsAreUseless posted:

"Who's that?"

"Oh, okay."

"Who are they?"

"Oh, okay."

I'm okay with Mick ending every episode telling everyone how much they should be making GBS threads their pants because they sent another assassin better than the last one that got fried in less than 5 minutes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

"Who's that?"

"Oh, okay."

"Who are they?"

"Oh, okay."

Truly the show that will define a generation.

Lost in time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I feel like "filler" episodes are more the way to go with this, or set up a "quest" structure where they have to stop Vandal Savage but they almost never actually meet him. Instead they keep bumping into him, which means they have to keep failing to kill him, which makes them look like chumps. (The opposite problem would be their foiling his plans week after week, which would make HIM look like a chump and therefore who cares about the central conflict.)

Like I find the show worth watching for all the character bits, because the ensemble is mostly pretty good, but they're not handling the overarching plot well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Krad posted:

I'm okay with Mick ending every episode telling everyone how much they should be making GBS threads their pants because they sent another assassin better than the last one that got fried in less than 5 minutes.

He can't do that, Pilgrim just shot him.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bruceski posted:

He can't do that, Pilgrim just shot him.

Oh please, that was cut perfectly for the team to have a opportunity to intervene. This show is not that ballsy.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
So, they wanted to cheap out on Jonah's makeup, because this is actually a cheap show. Sure. But how about just having Bat Lash show up as a cool looking guy in a hat?

This is such an easily-plottable show, and the writers have failed at every opportunity. At this point I'm holding on for the finale being a truly awful comeuppance.

I only hope the Rogues, Canary, and maybe Ray survive.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's 2166. Everyone is dead. Ray turns to the camera. "I can fix it! I can make it better!" After traveling back in time to re-bake the cake he ruined, he also realizes he could use time travel to save his friends.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Austria, 1902, Ray saves a young boy who dreams of becoming an artist, but it turns out to be Hitler.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

I do appreciate the subtle showing of Sara drinking Rory under the table

yeah lol, that was really good

anyway, i enjoyed this episode

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I realized what was bugging me about the future episode, it really felt like a Stargate Episode, and now the whole show just makes me think of Stargate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

I realized what was bugging me about the future episode, it really felt like a Stargate Episode, and now the whole show just makes me think of Stargate.

I too daydream about better television when I watch this.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

I too daydream about better television when I watch this.

Genre tv is in a sad place now.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Unkempt posted:

He did, that was really strange. No idea what they were going for there.

On Quantum Leap they called it "a kiss with history", but on this show it's more like "a clumsy teenage grope with history".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McSpanky posted:

On Quantum Leap they called it "a kiss with history", but on this show it's more like "a clumsy teenage grope with history".

More like "making out with your drunk cousin in the basement."

• Locked thread